Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEE-PC

Options
  • 29-10-2007 7:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've promised I'd get my wife an Asus eee-PC laptop (hopefully the 8Gb version) for Christmas, but am getting a bit worried, as I have no idea where to buy them from. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for one of these beauties please. Price grabber etc have them available as pre-orders, but with no delivery dates.

Thanks,

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Try here:http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/products.php?cat=53

Never used them, have no idea what they are like, but they are taking pre orders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks a mill uberpixie- I'm definitely sticking in a preorder!

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

shane
    I pre-ordered one from http://www.expansys.ie Can't wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Nowhere to preorder the 8gb?

cianclarke wrote: »
    Nowhere to preorder the 8gb?

I've been told its not available in Europe until next April (by Asus in the UK).

S.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I want one :)!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

They're very tempting machines alright - seem perfect if you just want to do a bit of light work (like typing) but don't want to lug a big laptop around.

The one thing they're missing is a DVD drive to use for movies (on journeys or whatever) but that'd make it a bit bigger if they put one in! I suppose you could always get a USB external drive...!

shane
    I pre-ordered one from http://www.expansys.ie Can't wait! :)

Thanks for that Generalmiaow!
    I just cancelled my pre-order with asuslaptops.co.uk and have placed my order with Expansys instead. Its about 70 odd Euro cheaper too :) Cool!

Thanks!

Shane

Ps- My order have changed into 2 orders, one for me and one for my wife :D

Anyone know any decent sites with info about the eee pc?

I wanna see how well the windows XP install goes :)

Some good info / video reviews here

*edit* found one http://www.eeeuser.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭The Mooche

Looks to me like http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/products.php?cat=53 are cheaper than http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=158485.

The standard one is £222, which is slightly less (depending on the rate) than the €335 from Expansys. Am I missing something?

And the UK site have the option of a 1GB version for only €15 more than the black version from Expansys. 1GB could be worth it.

I'm trying to think up reasons that I have to get one of these... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

smccarrick wrote: »
    I've been told its not available in Europe until next April (by Asus in the UK).

S.

Bah really?
    I was after the 8gb version, 4 is cutting it a bit tight methinks once an OS is installed... Might be able to import.

Also, maybe the solid state HD can be upgraded? In the 4gb versions is it a 2.5" solid state, or just 1gb ram chips soldered onto the mobo?

The Mooche wrote: »
    Looks to me like http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/products.php?cat=53 are cheaper than http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=158485.

The standard one is £222, which is slightly less (depending on the rate) than the €335 from Expansys. Am I missing something?

What you're missing is the £70 sterling delivery charge from www.asuslaptop.co.uk as Ireland is an "overseas location", versus the Euro 17 from Expansys for DHL overnight delivery.

cianclarke wrote: »
    Bah really?
    I was after the 8gb version, 4 is cutting it a bit tight methinks once an OS is installed... Might be able to import.

Also, maybe the solid state HD can be upgraded? In the 4gb versions is it a 2.5" solid state, or just 1gb ram chips soldered onto the mobo?

its not a 2.5" drive, I heard somewhere its the same 1gig Hynix Chips that are used in most flash based Mp3 players

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭The Mooche

"£70 sterling delivery"

Good point. I need to remember to take into account delivery charges...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Ordered mine from expansys aswell.. looking forward to getting my hands on it! such a sweet piece of kit, especially like that it has a solid state hard disk, with the SD port on the side you can add up to 32gb of extra storage.
    There is some conflicting reports about the fan in the machine though being a bit noisy, hope this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looks good tbh, love to see boot times on that solid state drive.

From what I've read and seen on youtube its pretty quick.

Take a look, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxkuntCK4H4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭_PCahill_

Has anyone here got one of them yet? I am curious about the noise of the fan. I see that ASUS have announced in April they will release a fanless model so maybe it's better to wait for it? Completely fanless and solid state would make it a v nice little machine. Although I guess like everything else these days it may very well get delayed a bit and cost a bit more than they initially say!

In case anyone is thinking of getting one now, I see that PC World Business are listing it for 265euro:
    http://www.pcwb.ie/catalogue/item/ASUSNB16

From what I see on their site they ship from Dublin so it might be possible to collect it. Doesn't say the specs of the one they are selling, but I think only the 4gb model is to be sold in europe...maybe im wrong!

expansys site has them marked as in stock tommorow, I've pre-ordered mine... damn, not sure to cancel and order from pw world now :confused:, that said I'm impatient and ashamed to say but a little excited about getting one so will probably just buy from expansys and be ripped :o.

Anyone else who pre-ordered from expansys? The shipping time was 2 days yesterday now its saying 12 days.. ffs, wish they had accurate shipping dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

I ordered one tuesday night from laptops-direct and it shipped yesterday. should be here tmw. I'm really looking forward to it. I feel stoopid buying a 1st generation piece of tech but after reading loads about this it seems perfect for what i would use a laptop for. Win XP (nlited) also seems to work away grand on them and take up less space on the SSD than the custom xandros.

I hope it works out for Asus...This might show manufacturers like sony that people will pay for slower hardware in a small form factor instead of those €1000-€2500 machines i was considering before hearing of the eee-pc. Roll on the second generation with the mermon processors or Intel SOC and 10" screens at 1024x768:) If asus manage to keep them at around 400 quid it would be a great product.

zekiel wrote:
    Anyone else who pre-ordered from expansys? The shipping time was 2 days yesterday now its saying 12 days.. ffs, wish they had accurate shipping dates.

Its at estimated 1 day for the white one, and ordered on request for the black one- I cleared my cache to make sure- thats what the website is reporting this evening. It was at 2 days early this morning. I'm not sure where you got the 12 days from? (unless it was a cached page on your part?)

S.

When you pre order from expansys they email you a link to check the status of your product which lists the amount of days till it arrives.. mine went all the way along with the current listing which has 1 day now listed.. but now its gone to 12 days...

zekiel wrote:
    When you pre order from expansys they email you a link to check the status of your product which lists the amount of days till it arrives.. mine went all the way along with the current listing which has 1 day now listed.. but now its gone to 12 days...

I've just checked- thats at 1 day for me as well- I guess the 12 days must apply to when you put in the pre-order. I put mine in on the 05.11.07
    I ordered 2 of them- oddly enough its offering to part ship my order immediately for a fee of E15.67
    I don't know!

I got an email response they said its just a PO listing and that I would get it with the first batch.. weird. :confused:
    That said laptopsdirect are €30 cheaper.

zekiel wrote:
    I got an email response they said its just a PO listing and that I would get it with the first batch.. weird. :confused:
    That said laptopsdirect are €30 cheaper.

Given my previous dealings with laptopsdirect, I'd happily pony up the extra €30.....
    It is a bit weird the way Expansys organise their website- I have been told that the eta is still 1 day, as per the update on the site though. It is confusing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

After you install xp....can you use an external hd with these?

Say a 2.5" external

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

It has 3 USB ports. So hopefully.

Sqaull20 wrote:
    After you install xp....can you use an external hd with these?

Say a 2.5" external

Can't see why not- XP has native support for external HDD, unlike Linux, where you have to seperately mount the device (but even thats a doddle). I would be a tad worried though of hostpowered hard-drives, particularly with the not entirely generous battery of the eee-pc......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭_PCahill_

beserker wrote: »
    I ordered one tuesday night from laptops-direct and it shipped yesterday. should be here tmw. I'm really looking forward to it. I feel stoopid buying a 1st generation piece of tech but after reading loads about this it seems perfect for what i would use a laptop for. Win XP (nlited) also seems to work away grand on them and take up less space on the SSD than the custom xandros.

As far as I know the Windows XP install only takes up less space than the default xandros install because it includes no applications. The default xandros install comes with OpenOffice, Firefox, Media players, etc..

The Xandros setup on it looks fairly complete - everything is GUI based, and uses automount so USB disks should 'appear' just like they do in XP.

Advertisement