Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-05-2010, 15:29   #16
El_Dangeroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro_Kraut View Post
People need to be careful about this.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest the IgG Antibody testing (used by YorkTest amoung others) cannot actually show food intolerance's.

The UK Advertising Watchdog took YorkTest to take in 2007 for the claims they were making.

The Australian Authority also cast doubt

An inquiry of the House of Lords in England also concluded there was no scientific basis to the tests.

I found some good blogs on this too:

Myth: You Can Diagnose Food Intolerance or Allergy with an IgG Blood Test

&

IgG Tests Are A Waste of Money: House of Lords Committee Hears Evidence, Let's Hope That They Listen

Its probably a good idea to read through the evidence that currently exists before deciding to spend €250+ on a test.
Completely agreed, a lot of us can have sensitivities that don't show up on these tests at all, never mind the inconvenience of a false-positive result. These kinds of blood tests are notoriously inaccurate. Testing of antibodies in stool is more accurate but still not without problems. It'd be wonderful just to get a blood test and know exactly what foods you should personally avoid, but the science is just not there yet.
Advertisement
21-06-2010, 09:56   #17
ValueSeeker

Vaga Food Allergy Testing in the Old Bawn Clinic in Tallaght. Run by Alan and Phil Kelly. It's predominantly a sports injury clinic.

I had no life for 3 years, constantly in and out of hospitals and they were clueless. Went to this place not expecting anything. She hooked me up to the circuit, diagnosed me as wheat intolerant and whatayuno, 3 weeks later, all my physical symptoms were gone.

I'm going back to her tomorrow as I'm back on wheat and feeling disgusting - I didn't realise feelings of anxiety, depression and brain fog and other mental symptoms can also be symptoms of food intolerance.

Only 70 euro and no needles
19-08-2010, 00:22   #18
SineadPh

Maev Creaven from the Galway Nutrition Centre in Galway tests for food intolerances. www.nutritioncentre.ie There are no needles used.
20-08-2010, 20:20   #19
teacosy

Accurate information on the subject of testing for food intolerances and allergies can be read here;

http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/AllergyTesting.pdf
20-09-2010, 16:07   #20
oldyouth

I see there are comments for and against these tests but can I ask if anyone has tried this one through Sam McCauley Chemists

http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/as...loc=C&catid=91

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
23-09-2010, 03:43   #21
Shmatter

I don't know about other intolerances, but I'm lactose intolerant, don't know how it happened as I wasn't as a kid, also managed to develop hay fever the same time. I went to my doctor, he told me about the test he could do, but that just keeping a food diary and looking at the results myself is enough. I'd recommend that if you suspect dairy anyway.
10-03-2011, 10:14   #22
december80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapos View Post
Ok i got one done on saturday. It's a place called "Down to Earth" on George's St. 40 Euro. Intolerant to a few things, i'll give it a go for a few weeks and see how i feel. For future reference some of the Nature's Way stores do the test but u would have to book a few weeks in advance, 65 euro with a 20 euro deposit. La Sante in Dun Laoghaire do them too for 40 euro (10 Euro deposit). From wat i gather they all seem a similar test, no blood, no needles.

hi just wondering di d you think the test was accurate?
23-03-2011, 09:18   #23
december80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapos View Post
Ok i got one done on saturday. It's a place called "Down to Earth" on George's St. 40 Euro. Intolerant to a few things, i'll give it a go for a few weeks and see how i feel. For future reference some of the Nature's Way stores do the test but u would have to book a few weeks in advance, 65 euro with a 20 euro deposit. La Sante in Dun Laoghaire do them too for 40 euro (10 Euro deposit). From wat i gather they all seem a similar test, no blood, no needles.

Hi i went to the Down to Earth shop yesterday to get an allergy test.
They said i am allergic to Dairy products and Sugar.
Did many come up that you were allergic to im not sure whether i believe its true as ive been eating this stuff all my life and ive never had any problems. if you could reply to me that would be great.
23-03-2011, 09:27   #24
true-or-false

Quote:
Originally Posted by december80 View Post
Hi i went to the Down to Earth shop yesterday to get an allergy test.
They said i am allergic to Dairy products and Sugar.
Did many come up that you were allergic to im not sure whether i believe its true as ive been eating this stuff all my life and ive never had any problems. if you could reply to me that would be great.
I've never gone for one of these tests but I saw a pretty believable documentary about the ones done in health food shops (even reputable places like Holland and Barrett) being false and unreliable. This does make sense seeing as if you go through your GP it should be around 200euro. There must be a reason that the one a doctor would trust is about 5 times the cost of some of the health shop ones. There's not much harm in cutting dairy and sugar for a few weeks and seeing if it makes a difference, but these are important food groups and if they've never given you trouble before, I wouldn't trust the test enough to cut them out of your life.
Advertisement
24-03-2011, 11:53   #25
Soarer

Anyone know anywhere in Cork that does the intolerance tests?
Rang The Melbourne Clinic, and they're not doing it anymore.

Saw this crowd that do a 200+ food test for £285, which I'd stretch for. But when you go to buy it, it tells you to contact this crowd in Dublin, who charge €255 for a 93 food test.
Sounds like a rip-off to me!

Last edited by Soarer; 24-03-2011 at 12:31.
24-03-2011, 19:04   #26
teacosy

The UK allergy association and the British Dietetic Association give some sound advice about the accuracy of commercial allergy tests.

http://www.allergyuk.org/fs_testing.aspx

http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/AllergyTesting.pdf
25-03-2011, 09:28   #27
Transform

very very little of all this testing is going to show you or tell you anything that you would not figure out yourself on a simple food elmination diet.

Cut out all gluten - wow you feel better, drop weight and joints feel less achy!! Did i need a test for that, no. People just love the lab coat effect and the fact that its written on a piece of paper.

i used to get many of my clients tested for food intolerence and stopped when I sent in two blood samples from myself (same time) and they came back with two different results!

Now i just get everyone off gluten, exercise more, cut out processed foods, eat more veg, some fruit and plenty of good fats and protein and whatttay know they drop weight, feel better and degenerative conditions clear up significantly.

Its money you could be spending buying some god healthy food and a big tub of fish oils IMO
25-03-2011, 20:27   #28
arandale

Heard discussed on Mid west Radio a test called Nutron, do anyone of you know anything about it.
26-03-2011, 18:00   #29
Transform

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandale View Post
Heard discussed on Mid west Radio a test called Nutron, do anyone of you know anything about it.
emmm food elimination anyone?
Thanks from:
22-08-2011, 10:55   #30
firetrap8

I've done the test at bodysmart; they just took a blood sample (very easy and painless) and sent the results to some Food Institute for analysis. result came after a two weeks. I've done the test for 40 food items, there is an option for some 93 foods which is a bit more expensive. some info on this page:

http://www.bodysmart.ie/food-intolerance-test.html

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion