Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anselmo's white pride speeches on Youtube

Options
  • 18-09-2007 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Was checking out some Pantera on youtube and came across a few of Phil Anselmo's live speeches on white pride. Basically saying white kids buying black music is bad because they hate us etc...that we white people should b e proud of who we are. Wondering if you guys have any opinions on this kind of thing or Anselmo's thoughts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iQZEBBg7hE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Does this mean I've have to burn all my Public Enemy records and Anthrax should be declared race tratiors? Maybe I should stop listening to Thin Lizzy and Hendricks as well, just in case.
    I wonder what they listen to when he's hanging out with his, lots of, black friends:rolleyes:
    How many people at a Pantera concert do you think would have some r'n'b in their collection? Do you think he meant for the fans to go home and burn their little brother and sisters P-Puff-Diddy-Daddy cds?
    Low grade demagoguery is what it is
    BTW if Stop black on black crime means black on white crime is ok than they must mean white on black crime is ok too! surely some mistake:confused:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Personally, I totally understand the point he's trying to get across. Basically he is having a go at the media for being over PC to the point that it is acceptable for rap bands to be so racist, and that if a white band ever did the same (not that he condones it) they would be lynched for it.

The whole "White Pride" thing isn't anything to do with racism, just the same as black pride doesn't have anything to do with anything. When he says "Are you proud of who you are?", it shows that he isn't necessarily picking sides. He is making the point that white folk who dress/speak/live as a black person and listen to white hating rap music are not proud of who they are or their culture.

Personally I agree with alot of what he says, because I can understand where he is coming from with the whole wigger thing. But he still comes across as an asshole because of it. I think there is a video of him in a confrontation with a black security guard (who obviously took it the wrong way) afterwards somewhere on youtube...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The whole overly PC thing hes 100% correct on. I listen to a bit of rap from time to time, but even in mainstream rap, on dr. dre's 'tha chronic' theres a line in the song 'the day the niggas took over' (relating to the LA riots in 92) where snoop says something along the lines of "and break them white men off something properly, i dont love them so them cant love me". Snoop and dre are probably 2 of the biggest names in hip hop, imagine if metallica had a song with lyrics like 'i dont love black people so they cant love me'? They'd be lynched. I dont agree with racism in any form, but it is grating that hip hop artists are allowed far more leeway with their lyrics than any white band would be.
    If black artists can say stuff like that, then phil anselmo is well within his rights to say hes proud to be white, hell, im proud to be white, jsut like im sure asians are proud to be asian, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I guess I know where Anselmo is coming from too, but I did feel very uncomfortable watching it and the way the crowd responded also, I would have hated to be a black man in that audience, I supose there is a time and a place for speeches I felt there was a bit of a KKK vibe going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

In fairness Anselmo is a cock, who was soley responsible for the breakup of Metals most powerful band of the 1990s. It was he who began using heroin, which is disgusting, it was he who began recording tracks in New Orleans while the rest of Pantera continued to work in Texas, and it was he who cancelled the Tatoo the Planet Tour out of sheer Lazyness. Im a huge Pantera fan, but I would refuse to go to a Down Concert because of him.

Alongside Kerry King and Dave Mustaine in Rock and Rolls Hall of Dickheads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Het-Field wrote:
    Alongside Kerry King and Dave Mustaine in Rock and Rolls Hall of Dickheads

Don't forget Lars Ulrich there as well!

I'll never forgive Anselmo and Pantera for not coming to Tattoo the Planet in 2001 as I missed them when they played here in the mid90s although I was lucky enough to be at Donington in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Het-Field wrote:
    Alongside Kerry King...in Rock and Rolls Hall of Dickheads
    What?

Also, there's nothing wrong with having pride in your race, although Anselmo is hardly the sort of shining light to be an ambassadorial figure for Caucasians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm of the opinion that pride does not equal hate. There is a lot of hipocrisy and double standards in the whole politically correct spectrum, so I certainly see where he's coming from.

He is an arsehole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yup, total ass but you can see what hes trying to get across, hes just saying it like a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

dcr22B wrote:
    Don't forget Lars Ulrich there as well!

I'll never forgive Anselmo and Pantera for not coming to Tattoo the Planet in 2001 as I missed them when they played here in the mid90s although I was lucky enough to be at Donington in 1994.

Ah in fairness, Lars Ulrich is great !!! So what if he wanted a few extra Bucks ? He has given me many hours of Musical pleasure, as has Kerry King.

I was in Dallas in July and forgot to go to arlington to see Dimebags Grave. I held my head in shame, as I FORGOT ONE OF THE GREATS WAS BURIED THERE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blacktruck

even though i dont really like the chap i think he has a point,if a white person walked around with a white power top on they would get hounded,but when black people do it its "cool" and exceptable.another thing that is underlooked is the racism between ethnic minorites,but thats another days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

ehh lars ulrich great? well in the way that he was in metallica and helped create modern metal then hell yes, but in the way that he is now then hell no and although i dont know the chap personally he is reputed to be one of the biggest assholes in metal. I mean that doesnt mean i dont like his music but like you know i love megadeth but dave mustaine is meant to be a DICK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Okay, but to take a slightly different approach, race pride is racist because it's recognizing and enforcing the distinction between races.

That of course is a very strict definition, and I while I don't have any interest in race pride, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

The words 'white pride' always raise red flags for me. Whites are still top dog in the world, I personally think we should have a little bit more humility. Being white is an accident of birth...nothing to be proud of there - there's no achievement, and you are damn lucky to be born white in this world. Equally, there's nothing stopping us from having our culture/music, as long as we don't pro-actively exclude other races from taking part if they wish.

nij wrote:
    The words 'white pride' always raise red flags for me. Whites are still top dog in the world, I personally think we should have a little bit more humility. Being white is an accident of birth...nothing to be proud of there - there's no achievement, and you are damn lucky to be born white in this world. Equally, there's nothing stopping us from having our culture/music, as long as we don't pro-actively exclude other races from taking part if they wish.
    But the point he is making is that it is ok for other races to be proud of their race in media circles yet whites cannot? Why not?!

I agree with Undergod to an extent, distincting between races isn't exactly a very good thing, we should all treat each other the same. However, I think the point that is being made is that the whites are being descriminated against also in certain cases. That is what Anselmo is having a go at.

Again I believe he just comes across as an asshole in the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

because white people run the world? and for white people to be lamenting their culture or race would be the same as paris hilton complaining about how hard life is for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yawn.

Skin colour is bollix to begin with. Mingle folks. It's good for you.

Mordeth wrote:
    because white people run the world? and for white people to be lamenting their culture or race would be the same as paris hilton complaining about how hard life is for her.

Yeah, that's sort of what I mean. Blacks never enslaved whites. It's not exactly a level playing field. Racism is still a big problem, and I think blacks should be as proud as they like.

Now, 'white pride' is a different story altogether, and usually a symptom of something much worse. In America, whites are still the majority, and they hold all the power. White Pride, to me, is an utterly pointless pursuit, and I wouldn't touch it with a 12 foot barge pole.

Why couldn't he have spoken simply about 'metal' pride, or anti-rap/pop music pride, and how you shouldn't swallow everything 'the man' shoves down your throat...?

Does 'white' include people like Slash and Kirk Hammett?? What about Jimi Hendrix. Music transcends skin colour.

So let the minorities have their t-shirts with slogans like "It's a black/gay/Jewish/Hispanic/etc.. thing, you wouldn't understand". It's no threat, nor is meant to be discriminatory. Given white history, though, I think it's best, like I said before, to have a bit more humility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Anyone else notice the irony that his bands name and that, is also the symbol of Militant Black revolutionaries?

Personally I'm proud of my green skin. Not that I'm an alien or something, just in dire need of nourishment, sleep and an aspirin

nij wrote:
    Yeah, that's sort of what I mean. Blacks never enslaved whites. It's not exactly a level playing field. Racism is still a big problem, and I think blacks should be as proud as they like.

Now, 'white pride' is a different story altogether, and usually a symptom of something much worse. In America, whites are still the majority, and they hold all the power. White Pride, to me, is an utterly pointless pursuit, and I wouldn't touch it with a 12 foot barge pole.

Why couldn't he have spoken simply about 'metal' pride, or anti-rap/pop music pride, and how you shouldn't swallow everything 'the man' shoves down your throat...?

Does 'white' include people like Slash and Kirk Hammett?? What about Jimi Hendrix. Music transcends skin colour.

So let the minorities have their t-shirts with slogans like "It's a black/gay/Jewish/Hispanic/etc.. thing, you wouldn't understand". It's no threat, nor is meant to be discriminatory. Given white history, though, I think it's best, like I said before, to have a bit more humility.
    Oh FFS! :rolleyes:

Are you white? Are you proud of who you are? Anselmo is having a go at the people who aren't proud of who they are by following music that is being racist towards their race. He is also having a go at the media being over PC by actually publicising these bands. These bands ARE RACIST AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE, whether you like it or not.

Yes the white race has been "top dog", but you cannot say that white people have not lived in poverty or haven't been burnt out of their homes for being white (eg. Robert Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe).

White people living with a black majority can be descriminated against just as much, as blacks living with a white majority in America. Do you agree or not?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm not proud of being white, I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

and with the amount of people shelling out loads for fake tan, sun booths and the like it seems not a lot of people like being white.

Mordeth wrote:
    i'm not proud of being white, I had absolutely nothing to do with it.

and with the amount of people shelling out loads for fake tan, sun booths and the like it seems not a lot of people like being white.
    I believe the words Anselmo used were "are you proud of who you are?". Whether you had nothing do with with your colour or not doesn't matter. Do you hate the fact that you are white?

I know I don't, and I wouldn't if I was black/yellow/green/pink/blue... I am happy with who I am and how I conduct myself. I don't have to act black to fit in, I don't have to act "all metal" to fit in either, I am myself and if people don't like it then they know where they can go. I believe that is what Anselmo means when he was giving that "pride speech".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Yes the white race has been "top dog", but you cannot say that white people have not lived in poverty or haven't been burnt out of their homes for being white (eg. Robert Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe).

White people living with a black majority can be descriminated against just as much, as blacks living with a white majority in America. Do you agree or not?[/QUOTE]

In fairness, with regards Zimbabwe, when 10% of the population own 90% of the land its only a matter of time before theres a revolt- just like there was in this country at the beginning of the century.

Most musicians are dicks, I know this to be fact because i'm a musician and i'm a dick- in fact I'm proud of it, in fact I'm more proud of being a dick than being white.
    I think all that White/black power stuff is total crap- the minute you engage in any of that stuff you might aswell declare yourself to be the biggest dick in the world (although I might have something to say about it), so you should choose not to. Just because scoopy scoopy dogg dog and Icey - T, and their ilk, talk about black power it doesn't mean they're right to be doing so.

Give Dave Mustaine a break, c'mon, he's ginger- how many of you have to live with such an affliction?

Yes I'm white. I'm proud of who I am, but not because of my skin colour. That's an accident of birth. Only through great deeds shall I enter the gates of Valhalla.

Now he could have taken that opportunity to speak out against racism in music, but he didn't. Of course he was talking about white pride - he said "next time you wake up and look in the mirror...etc". He directly spoke of blackness and whiteness too. If he was too dumb to make his real point properly, that's his own problem.

We all excuse a certain amount of 'anti-white' racism - just watch Richard Pryor or any other black comedian. There is a reason for that, and I've already given my opinion on that reason. Of course there are blacks who preach persistent, hateful anti-white racism, but they are too few and far between to warrant a speech in a concert. It would be as pointless as 50 cent getting on the mic the try and 'raise awareness' about hardcore neo-nazis - we all know they exist, but we don't give them the time of day.

Now, if your average white comedian started to include anti-black racist language in his act, I'd be seriously worried, because we all know that for the most part, there's a difference. I mean really, who cares if a black man says something about 'whitey' - we run western civilisation.

At the end of the day, I just wish ALL racism would disappear.

Most musicians are dicks, I know this to be fact because i'm a musician and i'm a dick- in fact I'm proud of it, in fact I'm more proud of being a dick than being white.
    I think all that White/black power stuff is total crap- the minute you engage in any of that stuff you might aswell declare yourself to be the biggest dick in the world (although I might have something to say about it), so you should choose not to. Just because scoopy scoopy dogg dog and Icey - T, and their ilk, talk about black power it doesn't mean they're right to be doing so.

Give Dave Mustaine a break, c'mon, he's ginger- how many of you have to live with such an affliction?

I have to say, I've been disappointed by a lot of musicians lately. I saw a video of Zakk Wylde saying, "F*ck Iraq" and going on a clueless tirade about 'what they did to us'.

It's clear he has some resentment built up towards blacks. How does he know why someone might sneer at him? Besides, we all present ourselves a certain way. We wear our beliefs. If he walks around with tattoos and a shaved head, what kind of reaction does he expect? If I saw a guy like him on the street, my first thought might be that he's a racist. Equally, if I saw a guy with long shaggy hair and a multi-coloured poncho, my guess would be that he's not exactly a conservative. So why bitch and moan about black people sneering at you when you walk around looking like a white nationalist? It's not as if his hairline is receding.

Who knows what Anselmo says in the privacy of in own house... From watching the video that the OP posted though, an objective viewer could easily come to the conclusion that he's a racist, or a closet white nationalist. The stuff you say in an on-stage outburst is more likely to represent your true feelings than a TV interview is.

Racism is something that builds as a result of a few bad experiences, and walking around like a skinhead could be the spark the ignites those experiences. Whether or not he's oblivious to that he something only he knows for sure.

Does that excuse their actions? Spitting at someone because they have a shaved head? Give me a break. Of course Alselmo has the right to have a go at people who spit at him in the street... Who wouldn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

nij wrote:
    Blacks never enslaved whites.

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

An entire town in cork was kidnapped and sold into slavery by a black muslim pirate in the 1700's. Theres hundreds, if not thousands of accounts of white people being sold into slavery back then ffs. Read the book 'white gold'.

And Anselmo HAS a point. Just the other day reading about these race protests in Jena, Louisiana. and heres a photo of a black guy marching along wearing a t-shirt that says BLACK POWER. Now, if he was white, and wearing a t-shirt with WHITE POWER on it, thats racist, but the black guy isnt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

nij wrote:
    Being white is an accident of birth...nothing to be proud of there - there's no achievement

You see, this is the kinda thing that gets me. Any time the idea of pride in one's race is brought up, not just on these boards, but many others, there's always a lot of criticism and the whole "Accident of birth" thing gets bandied about.

Yet the same is never said to people of other races who proclaim pride in their race. Nobody ever says to a black person that they've got nothing to be proud of. Infact, the opposite is true, because a lot of people seem to think that something like Black Pride is to be encouraged, it's a good thing.

Now, the way I look at things, pride should either be a good thing or a bad thing, and it should be applied universally. None of this "It's a good thing for you to be proud, but it's a bad thing for you other guys to be proud" bull****. I think ridiculous double standards like that probably account for a lot of resentment and racism.
    Mordeth wrote:
    and for white people to be lamenting their culture or race would be the same as paris hilton complaining about how hard life is for her.

Oh yes, because all white people live lives like Paris Hilton. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd never expect such a stupid statement from you Mordeth.

Advertisement