Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Stories

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

I am starting this thread to encourage those that have had paranormal experiences to share their stories, and for the curious to be spooked...

I have a few stories if my own... I am in my mid twenties and have only been having these inexplicable experiences for the last 10 years or so. There is a history of ghost sightings on both sides of my family, my Great Grandmother and my Great Aunt have had many experiences of the weird kind so I guess it runs in the family.

Some of the first major frights I got was in a flat in Maynooth that I lived in in Maynooth for 3 years while I was in college there. It was a flat above a hardware shop in Main Street, the original house was built in the mid 1800's: although recently sold, had been in the family until then. It was pretty badly converted, the back bedrooms were built on, at the end of a long hallway that I was usually terrified to walk down at night. My room itself was usually fine. It had a window that led onto a badly built attic that used to rumble in the wind, but I got accustomed to those sounds. One night while I was trying to go to sleep I had a very uneasy feeling, the house was quiet and there was no wind. I was lying there stock still, I couldn't shake the weird feeling that I had. This knocking started on the back of my wardrobe, which led onto the attic. Not a sort of 'something being moved in a wind banging' but a definate KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. I could almost hear the knuckles. This continued for ages.... I asked it to stop but it just got worse, like whatever it was was taking pleasure in it. Remember, there was no access to the attic and there was no wind...

This ramshackle of a place was above a hardware shop (the cobblers children are never shod...) it was a Saturday afternoon and I had forgotten my key. I rang the bell a couple of times but there was no-one home so I had to run into the shop to get a spare key. I was on the phone at the time chatting away so I had no fear in my mind, i wasn't expecting anything weird to happen... To get into the flat you had to mount a flight of stairs, turn a corner and walk down two halls. I opened the door, and started climbing the stairs. As I got to the middle, I heard footsteps running at me from the hall around the corner. Needless to say I legged it. The atmosphere there was pretty eerie and hostile at times, my guess was that the former owner, definatley a middle aged man was not too keen on what had become of his former home and didn't like women. There was never any activity reported by men.

I lived in a cottage in Maynooth for a time near the new shopping centre. They were originally built as home for workers of the former mill, which was being knocked at the time so were built in the early 20th century I guess, maybe earlier. On moving in to the place I just knew there was something there, but this time the feeling was more of a peaceful presence, definately nothing hostile. I could sence it was female strangely enough. You could feel the presence at the top of the stairs and in the halls especially.
    At weekend I was usually alone in the house as my housemates would return home for the weekend. I had just gone to bed and settled in for the night when I heard stirring downstairs, doors opening and closing, footsteps, things moving around... I thought oh, O---- is home, (he had the bedroom downstairs). Thought nothing of it and went to sleep. Next morning I was fixing myself some breakfast, and O---- arrives - from Dublin - where he had stayed for the night...

One night a friend and I were lying in my bed and got a very heightened sence of the presence. We both saw this kind of mist materialise and float around the room. We were both pointing at it so there was no chance this was an optical illusion. We were both pretty freaked but there's safety in numbers and we both laughed it off under the covers and eventually went to sleep. A couple of years later he told me he had seen a woman in the corner of the room that night, but the woman, who was wearing a black dress, had no face I'm glad he didn't tell me then... He also told me this woman had visited him in his own bedroom next door once, he woke up to find her standing next to his bed... I'm kinda glad I'm not that sensitive.

The most recent and the only sighting I have ever experienced was at Portlick Castle near Athlone in Co Westmeath. My brothers wedding was taking place there, it is a beautiful location, on the banks of Lough Ree. The castle is 900 years old and we were to stay there for the weekend.
    I was a bit nervous about this because the castle has a reputation for being haunted. Of course that wasn't going to stop me staying there. One of my sisters friends would not attend the wedding at all as she is a sensitive and was reluctant to meet the spirits of the castle. I have never met this woman and am very eager to... anyways - My boyfriend and I arrived on the Friday afternoon a few hours before the wedding was to take place and were shown to our room by the owner. On the way there we entered the Great Hall and I felt an immediate *whoomp* like something had just flown through me. Our room was up 6 flights of stairs at the very top of the castle. We got dressed and left the room to join the guests. It was 2pm. At the point of the stairs that met the Great Hall there is a gate where the back stairs continue to the kitchens. We were chatting away contentedly, there was no fear or trepadation. He went on ahead into the Great Hall, and I noticed a light on the bottom stairs, something seemed to be taking form... I could plainly see a blue light - the colour of a gas flame with shafts of light streaming up form it, plainly in the shape of a mans arm, hip and upper leg. It was walking up the stairs! As I gasped, it stopped, turned and decended the stairs, ast which point I had pansied off into the hall pale in the face. I told the owner this story later by the fire, and he told me he sees the same thing... among others.

I think i might have written enough for this post, I hope it provokes lots of discussion and story telling.

Sweet Dreams,

Deelee :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DeeLeeDee

My Great Aunt, who is in her seventies now has had many paranormal experiences, She used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid...
    She is very religious and I know for sure she wouldn't lie...

Anyways, she saw a Banshee in the 50s/60s in Athlone Town, around the Northgate Street area, she said she saw a woman with very long hair, combing it through, and when she reached the end of it would let an ungodly wail and start again from the top.... I can't remember if she said anyone died soon after, It was years ago when she told me. She's pretty reluctant to talk about these things now. I won't give our surname but we are not of those five families that the banshee allegedly warns of death. There is a great forum on boards on this subject, check it out.

Both my sets of Grandparents were from Athlone, and the Northgate Street, Abbey Road and east side of the river have a lot of stories attached to them.
    I'd love if some people from Athlone could share their stories to see if there is any overlap, specifically in referance to Abbey Road and Portlick Castle... these places are very active.

I'd love to hear stories from Maynooth too, and everywhere else... Get posting, and I will tell ye more!

Sweet Dreams,

DeeLee :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

This didn't happen me, but instead my cousin, but it strikes me as interesting. Just over a year ago my Granny, who had been living alone in her house for 20 years, died. It was quite a tough time for the family, but after a few months things went back to normal. My older Cousin then moved into the house for a few months. She wasn't there long when one day there was a knock on the door, and when she opened it, there was a dishevelled looking man staring at her through the porch door (which she was too frightened to open). He claimed that this was HIS house, and was muttering and rambling words to that effect before moving on.
    A few nights later, my younger cousin (my older cousins sister!!!!!) was sleeping in one of the bedrooms (not my Granny's) with her boyfriend, when she woke up. She said she felt the presence of a "dark, shaggy man" standing beside her, she said she could sense that he was about to attack her somehow. Now I know what you are all thinking... but here's the kicker. Her boyfriend woke up and instantly he saw the same thing - a tall, blurred grey figure standing beside her, and he too felt its intent to hurt her. He said straight away that he knew she was in danger, not him. Then it just vanished.
    None of us have any idea what this means, but it is certainly very eerie.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There is a great thread here,

"Ghosts what are your experiences"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054896242&page=13

it's up to 13 pages now and full of peoples stories.
    Great story BTW OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Ok well rather than point out again what may be a genuine error (does anyone give newbies a xhance around here anymore ?)can I say

a) really interesting stories OP and

b) question - have you ever tried to 'tune in' to your talent/knack for these experiences or do you just go with the flow and see what you experience

Ladybird
    PS and welcome btw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Threads merged.

Cool stories DeeLeeDee, thanks for posting them and welcome to the forum :)

There seems to have been a lot of stories on the forum about Maynooth for some reason. I can't believe I went to college there for 4 years and never really noticed any of the goings on. Altough I do remember some friends who were renting around the area mentioning they thought their houses were haunted, I wasn't all that interested at the time and don't remember much.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

Ladybird, I am quite open to developing my sixth sense, having this kind of sensitivity is very interesting but can be terrifying at times. I would never invoke spirits, as I believe that they choose you, and should be left in peace. As this is a family trait and is something that is developing in me, (and now my 13 year old niece) I want to pretty much leave it to its own devices, and I am sure I will have many weird and wonderful experinences in my lifetime! Fear is a very natural reaction to the elements of the unknow, and I hope to conquer this in order to let things materialise. As i said, they choose you.

Stevenmu, thanks for the welcome :) Could you share any of those Maynooth stories with us?
    I would love to hear them. It is indeed a hub of paranormal activity. Where are the stories on other forums? Have you merged the threads? what does that mean? I am new to this kind of thing.

Thanks for your story davyjose! Maybe this spirit was resident in your Grandmother's house while she was living there, and had accepted her. Maybe she saw him too sometimes. Maybe he was hostile towards her too. Did she ever mention anything? I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have mentioned anything so as not to frighten visiters etc. One thing's for sure, Ghosts don't like change. I believe a part of the spirit sometimes stays in the place that meant most to them.
    The spirit I metioned at Portlick Castle has been there for many hundreds of years and one must respect that this is his turf. We used the Great Hall as a sort of a chill out room away from the main reception, and you could just sence his presence in the room and on the balcony, and he seemed to be happy, I put it to him that we were happy to be there, and we were happy he was there too, we were after all his guests. Apparently during renovations in the nineties he got very annoyed and threw things around, meddling with the renovations. If your relations are still at that house I would suggest that they 'speak' to this man, out loud or in their minds, to make peace with him. If they don't he will get hostile, because he feels unwelcome. Remember he is not going anywhere, and it is unfair to ask him to do so.
    He sounds like a cranky old fella, he needs to feel more comfortable, and ye will too.

Sweet dreams,

DeeLee :eek:

I'm living in Galway at the moment, anyone have any stories to share from there? I have a couple up at... ah sure i'll just copy and paste..
    The reply is to the skeptics at 'Family Driven From Home' story at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054998945

I used live in that area in Rahoon for couple of years, it is definately active. The west end of Rahoon has two graveyards, one which is new and another which is old and dilapidated that has been partly built over (I'm sure more than is obvious) in the area near Corrach Bui. I lived in a house in Bun Caise which is next to Corrach Bui and overlooks the graveyard. The back bedroom in the house had a very eerie feeling to it, even a skeptical freind of mine that stayed there said it felt like someone had 'just left'. Friends of mine used to stay in there and were a couple of times woken at the exact same time with the feeling that there was someone in the room. It happened to my boyfriend and I too. I lived in a house in Glen Dara to which is just across the road where one morning I heard the hangers in the wardrobe scraping over and back... So yeah, I believe these people, I doubt it was a scam to get rehomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

Well, DeeLeeDee, never had any experiences in the Aula Maxima?

I'm quite the skeptic about such things, but it is a spooky place - and if you are who I think you are, you spent time there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

My Grandmother worked in Dublin Castle , when she was in her twenty's which would have made it sometime during the 1940's .

Anyway she used to tell me about the place ,and she told me a few years back about how she was working late one night , and as she was leaving she could see a soldier standing on guard in the distance ,and as she walked closer , he walked off and through a wall .

Needless to say she told me she was frightened but went on her way .
    I'd believe her.

Anyone heard any stories about the castle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

This is my story of what happend to me.
    Was going to post it anyway but then I saw this thread :D

I live in South Dublin and been living in my house for about 18 years now,when we moved in to the house all those years ago when I was a young boy the guy who owned the house previously told us that he had heard footsteps in the rooms upstairs.
    Anyway when we moved into the house we did hear noises now and again but we always thought it was because of the old floorboards and because it was an old house..When we did up the house and got carpets in the noises kinda stoped but the odd time I might hear something but never thought anything of it.
    But now all these years later I was lieing in my bed fast a sleep and woke up suddenly and saw this image of a woman wearing a bonnet or something above me near the ceiling looking straight at me..I turned on the light quickly and then it was gone like it was never there at all.
    The next day I decided that it was just a dream becuase I was not sure if I was awake or a sleep when it happened but it was still on my mind.
    That was a few months ago now that happened but then the other night I woke up again durring the night and saw a figure moving along the ceiling and I was deffinately awake this time so I turned on the light and just sat in my bed thinking and about 20 mins later I heard a bang comming from the room upstairs like someone had jumped on the ceiling.
    It just happend the 1 time but it freaked me out and no 1 else in my house was awake at the time.
    My little niece sleeps in the room I heard it but she was fast a sleep when it happened.
    Anyway that all thats happened so far but I dont know what to make of it all..nobody else in my family has seen the things I have but my sister has heard strange noises as well.
    My house is very old and was one of the first houses built on my road..so guys any thoughts at all? I am kinda freaked out when I have to go bed now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

i remember when i worked in the bank on dame street , i was a cleaner and i was put on the floor that had all the carpet and the confeence rooms were there.i thought i had a grand job all i had to do was hoover the carpet and afew bits and pieces.this night i was hoovering the stairs as i was coming up the stairs i saw man dressed in a suit but the suit was very old fashioned as i turned he was gone.he would have to passme to go to the lift and he didnt .there was something very pale or blurry bout him so when i was finished and was chatting to someone downstairs i mentioned it and she said it was the resident ghost he as harmless but thats why i got the easy floor because nobody would work up there.i neversaw him again but you always knew somebody was watching you i left a rew months later

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mahomaho

hi DeeLeeDee
    what part of galway are u from.
    i usually visit croughwell since i have relatives there,
    but i was wondering is theres an old 3 story house about 1/2 hour from my grans place with the floors nearly gone.
    ive never been there yet since they found it just recently but if you know of this place can you tell me if it is haunted or not

Advertisement