Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New To Ireland, and have questions

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Howdy,

My name is Wes Keller and I am hired on to a company in the Dub 12 area. I intend to start within 45 days. So, I was wondering what are some good ways to go about finding a single bedroom flat to let, what to look out for, what to expect, what I will need to bring with me, etc. etc. I hope to get a decent cable internet connection, and possibly cable television. I would like to eventually bring my Hungarian sheepdog over from Texas, he mostly sleeps - hes a guard dog, not a herder. But otherwise, I really mostly just want a proper Irish experience for as long as Ireland will have me. I've been to the isle on several occasions and do believe it's people and land are the most beutiful in the world.

Cheers,

Wes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Expect to find it very hard to find somewhere to live.

I just advertied a room in my place (city centre - €600 per month) and I gota few hundred e-mails...

Check http://www.daft.ie for somewhere to live.

For cable check www.ntl.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, if you intend to bring the dog over, you'd better get a house of some type, that has a garden. Some people may not want to share a house with a dog, so keep that in mind when house hunting.

You mention you'll be bringing the dog "from Texas". Bring it now, as it'll be quarantined for 6 months.

More info: http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/petover.htm

Oh, and as you said Dublin 12, look into getting a house outside of the main city centre area, but somewhere on a dublin bus route, as you may find a cheaper place to rent, with a decent garden for your doggie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

According to this document, you can bring a pet in if you have covered the necessary procedures:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pets/travel.xml

The US is a qualifying country. If I have two good blood tests 6 months apart, and all necessary vaccinations, I should be able to avoid the quarantine.

I am considering purchasing a car, but would certainly like to be near a bus route. Still, I have very little experience with Renault's, Citroens, and many of the smaller Ford/Chevy and Vauxhall products, so really will have to rely on some friends regarding what is decent transportation and at what price. I would LOVE a small pick up truck like a Hilux or a Nissan, though; especially in diesel.

Dub 22/24 or any decent area further from the center is fair with me. Ideally I would like a small flat with access to a green belt. I can afford up to about $850 EU or so. I would prefer a place to myself.

I am much obliged for all the great help. You're good folk.

Wes

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You would be lucky to find something like that. Most apartments won't allow animals larger than a goldfish.

You best bet would be to share a house with someone animal-friendly.

Cars of any kind are expensive here. Third party insurance is mandatory. Manual gears are near universal. Annual tax payable

Some things will look cheaper or more expensive - but realise that retail prices include taxes and there are no local or state taxes.

Have a look here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Wes, have you ever been to Ireland? A few pointers, most things in Ireland cost roughly twice as much as it would in the States, I bought a VW Golf, Rabbit in the States, cost me €30k or roughly €40k, they start at $15k in the states. Accommodation, food, drink, gas, clothes, electronics and almost everything else costs double here. The weather is terrible, I'm away on a 2 month vacation, but from what I've heard, its rained almost everyday for the last 2 months.

You will find it hard to get accommodation for you and your pet. Did a google for Hungarian sheepdog and its a pretty large and hairy dog, like a mop on legs, nice dog. Anyway best of luck with the move, I personally wouldn't leave the States for Ireland, but thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

DonJose, way to put a damper on poor old wes. BTW, he says in his first post that he's been here a few times.

As some of the other posters have said Wes, getting accom can be difficult. Especially if you aren't prepared to share. Rent prices have shot up just in the last 3 or 4 months. You may have to strech your rental budget slightly to get a one bed apartment. Many of those places won't let you keep pets though. A cheaper and better way would be if you could get a room in a large house share, with people who like dogs. There's plenty of us out there :-) You say your work is in Dublin 12? Perhaps you could rent a house in Harolds Cross/Terenure/Crumlin/Drimnagh and sublet one or two rooms. Lots of doggies in the area.

What should you bring with you? I presume you mean furniture? Most rentals here come furnished, so I wouldn't worry about beds/couchs etc... and they usually have all the basic stuff.

And finally Wes, welcome to Ireland, I hope you enjoy your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Hi Wes.

Unfortunately, I do have to agree with what everyone else said. A one bedroom place may be outside your budget and almost definitely won't have room for the pooch. Having rented in Dublin up until very recently, I was paying €1300 for a 1-bed in the city centre. Even to go further outside of town, rents don't decrease that much.
    Also, because most apartments are in managed complexes, pets aren't allowed and there aren't many communal green areas.

I would recommend that you look at the house-sharing option. Maybe put an ad on www.gumtree.ie explaining your requirements and you may have some responses from fellow dog-lovers.

On top of that, Dublin can get a little bit lonely if you don't know anyone. A house-share could give you the opportunity to hang out with people of your own age and in a similar situation.

Nahh, no damper done. As I stated previously, I have been to Ireland many times. Here's a gallery of some of my trips:

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/ireland

I am not coming this time to visit. I have employment this time, so the costs will be relative to my EU pay VS to the dollar.

The exchange rate will only affect me with my move-in, and becoming situated. I do not intend to purchase a new car. I was hoping to find something used.

I LOVE overcast and rain. I much prefer cold to heat. I can not stand another summer in Texas.

Wes
    DonJose wrote:
    Wes, have you ever been to Ireland? A few pointers, most things in Ireland cost roughly twice as much as it would in the States, I bought a VW Golf, Rabbit in the States, cost me €30k or roughly €40k, they start at $15k in the states. Accommodation, food, drink, gas, clothes, electronics and almost everything else costs double here. The weather is terrible, I'm away on a 2 month vacation, but from what I've heard, its rained almost everyday for the last 2 months.

You will find it hard to get accommodation for you and your pet. Did a google for Hungarian sheepdog and its a pretty large and hairy dog, like a mop on legs, nice dog. Anyway best of luck with the move, I personally wouldn't leave the States for Ireland, but thats just me.

Thanks, Patrick. You and 00112984 are pretty much mirroring what I have been seeing on daft etc. I hadn't counted on Ireland being so much less dog friendly, though. Here in Texas, you are pretty much required to own at least one dog, one truck, several guns, boots, and a cowboy hat. I was willing to give up the truck, the guns and the hat(and assumed the boots might work out OK in Eire). But giving up the dog is a little rough. However, he does have a good home here, so I can go without for a while. I could eventually find more secure accomodations and perhaps rescue a Greyhound from one of the various tracks. Life without a good dog just ain't right.

Looking at Daft, so long as I am in the areas prescribed, I can find a single in my price range.

So, why does an American move to Ireland? Why move to any other country for that matter? America is VERY far removed from any place worth visiting, really. Mexico? Been there - looks like a poor version of Texas. Canada, eh? Uh...no thanks. Ireland is gorgeous. The place I live in TX gets 36 inches of rain a year. So rain and overcast were always on the menu. It doesn't get as cold in Ireland as it does here, either. And thank God it never gets as hot(It was 100*F yesterday with 60% humidity). But, just as importantly, living in Ireland grants one access to England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, etc. etc. And some of those I can go to on an extended weekend. I work a 4 day shift, so spending 3 days off, with 2 solid days in France is now a possibility.

So, I get to live in a wonderful place, with good folk, and amongst some friends I already have from previous missions and exchange programs since College, and have the huge added bonus for this Ex-Pat to visit Europe nearly at will.

Did I mention I am a huge fan of history, have family in Germany and speak German well, love art and architecture. All of which we are largely deprived of in the states. What's not to like?

Obliged,

Wes

DonJose, way to put a damper on poor old wes. BTW, he says in his first post that he's been here a few times.

As some of the other posters have said Wes, getting accom can be difficult. Especially if you aren't prepared to share. Rent prices have shot up just in the last 3 or 4 months. You may have to strech your rental budget slightly to get a one bed apartment. Many of those places won't let you keep pets though. A cheaper and better way would be if you could get a room in a large house share, with people who like dogs. There's plenty of us out there :-) You say your work is in Dublin 12? Perhaps you could rent a house in Harolds Cross/Terenure/Crumlin/Drimnagh and sublet one or two rooms. Lots of doggies in the area.

What should you bring with you? I presume you mean furniture? Most rentals here come furnished, so I wouldn't worry about beds/couchs etc... and they usually have all the basic stuff.

And finally Wes, welcome to Ireland, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Some very nice snaps there Wes. Look professional.... you very nearly made it to Donegal. Next time :-)

BTW I agree with you about the weather. Give me dull overcast and slightly damp anyday.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Patrick. I have been in photography since I was 14.

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/ for more, and much more professional photos of various sights and sites. I will certainly visit Donegal, as well as the rest of Ireland, with more time spent north and south at first. Nope, don't care that I can't understand a word that's said in Cork, nor the fact they cannae comprehend anything that comes out of my mouth either - I intend to visit it regardless.

I do love the weather in Ireland. Folks here, especially in Texas, think I am insane. I have chronic sinusitis and a condition that keeps me from producing much tears and uh...nasal juice - so any dry and hot weather makes it difficult for me to breathe and be comfortable. I nearly died when I had to visit Utah - 95* weather and less than 5% humidity. I had a nose bleed off and on for 3 days straight. I also have a sort of astigmatism that causes bright light to give me headaches. So overcast works great. Wet doesn't bother me, cold doesn't, and drinking Guinness doesn't bother me ;) So I have the physical and mental aspects covered.

Sort of sad you've all the new smoking laws, though. I did enjoy a good Lucky Strike with a Stella in pub as often as I could manage. Do they kick ya out of the pubs now to smoke, or how do they go about it? What are some pubs I should hop into in Dub 12/20/22/24 etc. that won't immediately try and head butt this 'foreigner'? I do understand immigration has been heavy recently, and I gotta believe not every paddy is happy with it. So I expect to run into that scene sooner or later. But, best to avoid places I am certainly not welcome. I hate to dwell on such a subject, but life is what it is.

So used cars are still expensive? Should I buy something here and spend the $1600 USD to ship it?

And it looks better if I can find a room in a house that will take pups. Hrm, I just hope I can find a house full of 30-sumthins. I have spent plenty of time with 20-sumthin Irish, and it nearly killed this man. To the day, I've no recollection what all occurred during most of that time...

Wes

Some very nice snaps there Wes. Look professional.... you very nearly made it to Donegal. Next time :-)

BTW I agree with you about the weather. Give me dull overcast and slightly damp anyday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Wes,

Congratulations on your new job and your impending move over here.

Re: smoking laws- most pubs used it as an opportunity to set up various beer-garden arrangements (mostly with some sort of overhead shelter and outdoor heating)- as they felt that the falloff in clientele from not having facilities for them would kill their business. That said- a lot of people took the opportunity to kick the habit (mind you- Euro 7 or 8 for a pack of 20 was a pretty good reason too!)

Re: buying a car and shipping it over- you would have to have owned it abroad for 6 months prior to importing it to Ireland (and prove you were not resident in Ireland during those 6 months) or else you would be liable to rather high VRT (vehicle registration tax). As a tax resident, living and working in Ireland, you are not legally entitled to drive a foreign registered vehicle here (if you are on leave over here its different- as you are not considered to be resident). So- in short- you would most probably get hit for a couple of grand from the Irish Taxman when you went to register your car- were you to bring one over.

Re: cars over here- over the past couple of years automatics with aircon and other add-ons have become very common over here- as have the number of US and Japanese imports available on the second hand market. You should not have any great difficulty picking up something that you'd recognise with reasonably low mileage, possibly for less than you might think. Irish people love their new cars- so low mileage cars that might be a couple of years old loose their value very quickly indeed.

If you are bringing a car over- something to consider would be importing a classic car (any car over 20 years of age) which would be exempt from VRT over here, and qualify for low annual tax (and indeed insurance).

Re: a house of 30 somethings- they might be a little thin on the ground..... If you have a look around this forum you'll see quite a few people almost hysterical about "getting on the property ladder". The market is going into freefall at present- akin to the US market, but a few months behind. So- the 30 somethings are in a lot of cases moving back in with their parents and saving, or if attached, getting their own places. Best of good luck looking though- you've been pointed at the right websites.

You mentioned our rampant migration over the past 5-6 years- its true, we have a lot of immigrants, and indeed continue to. Per head of population- we have the highest immigration of any country in Europe, without exception. Most of them are from former Eastern Europe countries, and get on extremely well here- its quite bizzare chatting to someone with a broad Cork or Dublin accent, and finally figuring out 10 minutes later that they are from Vilnius...... I don't think you'll have any problems over here! A lot of people will probably try to debate US politics and particularly foreign policy with you- but that will probably be as much as it'll get!

Sorry to hear that you may have to temporarily leave your dog at home- you are quite correct about the Pet Passport system though- providing you comply with the rules, you would be able to avoid the quarantine. If you have any questions on the working of the scheme you could e-mail Cathy.OLeary@agriculture.gov.ie (she administers the Irish end of the programme).

Best of good luck- perhaps we'll see you at one of the periodic Boards Beers that are regularly arranged.

Shane

www.daft.ie

Good site for searching for accommodation

Use the advanced search to view properties that allow pets!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

And don't forget www.carzone.ie for your car ;)

smccarrick wrote:
    Hi Wes,

Congratulations on your new job and your impending move over here.

Re: smoking laws- most pubs used it as an opportunity to set up various beer-garden arrangements (mostly with some sort of overhead shelter and outdoor heating)- as they felt that the falloff in clientele from not having facilities for them would kill their business. That said- a lot of people took the opportunity to kick the habit (mind you- Euro 7 or 8 for a pack of 20 was a pretty good reason too!)

Thank you. I will certainly miss the $4 a pack I pay here(which was $3 a pack last year, btw). So that's what? <3 EU a pack of 20? I've slowed down, but I still enjoy a smoke with a beer.
    Re: cars over here- over the past couple of years automatics with aircon and other add-ons have become very common over here- as have the number of US and Japanese imports available on the second hand market. You should not have any great difficulty picking up something that you'd recognise with reasonably low mileage, possibly for less than you might think. Irish people love their new cars- so low mileage cars that might be a couple of years old loose their value very quickly indeed.

Excellent. I am not worried much of creature comforts. A diesel manual would be fine. I am looking at the used Ventos etc. Is there anything I should avoid due to insurance costs, though? Most diesels in the EU are not allowed in America due to the particulant emissions. So owning one is also a bit of a novelty, let alone the benefit of excellent mileage and longevity. Here we can only own large Diesel trucks for towing and work. I currently have a Chevy Colorado, 3.5 liter mid-sized truck(about Toyota HiLix size). But it gets horrific mileage. I complain about it here at $2.50 a gallon - I fear the petrol costs in Ireland.

I am also sure I'll be fielding a lot of questions regarding US policy. Hell, I do that now. Here we have basically two main parties - (left)Democrats and (right)Republicans. One side is liberal, the other conservative. I fall in the middle often, but obviously am a bit to the left politically, and to the right culturally(as Ireland seems to be). Another reason it's such a good fit for me. But when it comes to the current administration, and US policy in general, let me just say this - there is a reason I am leaving. If things go well, I don't plan on returning. The US spends a lot of time meddling and enforcing a type of diplomatic imperialism where it can not outright inflict imperialism. The US is mainly run by the rich and corporations, some of which have a frightening combination of greed and paranoia in their policies. The trickle down is fine - anyone with skills can find a decent job and a niche, buy a house detached etc. But the rich make the laws, the politicians care little of the middle class, and our government serves corporations. I want nothing more to do with it all. I just hope there isn't so much damage done that the middle east, Britain, and the US can heal their wounds. I doubt it, but there's always the chance...
    Best of good luck- perhaps we'll see you at one of the periodic Boards Beers that are regularly arranged.

Shane

I may have to take you up on it.

Wes

Lovely. I am thinking of getting a 146 just to 'know the joy and pain of owning an Alfa" as Jeremy Clarkson puts it.

WYK
    Dublin1600 wrote:
    And don't forget www.carzone.ie for your car ;)

wyk wrote:
    Lovely. I am thinking of getting a 146 just to 'know the joy and pain of owning an Alfa" as Jeremy Clarkson puts it.

WYK

To be quite honest- its more pain than joy with an Alfa, and any repair work is shockingly expensive.......

I know what you are saying about possible pollutants from diesels- but its been the law to have particulate filters here for over 10 years now- when you factor in the extra mileage, it is a bit of a no-brainer. A lot of people still like their petrol cars though..... Diesel is 1.05 Euro a litre (about Euro 4.20 a gallon) while petrol is now about 1.20 a litre (a little shy of Euro 5.00 a gallon). I drive a Volvo V40 2 litre diesel estate myself- and have no difficulties getting 45-50 miles to the gallon.

In general the larger the engine- the higher the insurance costs. Diesels only really start to be popular at 1.8 litre and higher (the smaller ones are so under powered they're not funny). You will get a discount because of your age- once you're over 30 it does drop markedly. If you can prove no speeding tickets etc- thats normally good for a 20% discount too. I'm 33 and driving a 2 litre with a value of around 20k costs me about 800 for fully comprehensive insurance (and unfortunately another 680 for annual government road tax, wich also has to be paid upfront). Private transport is pricey here- but its a necessity, as public transport is not the most reliable.

Re: cigarettes- thats US$10-12 (8.00 Euro) for a box of 20 cigarettes....... It would make a lot of sense to bring yourself a small supply!

Good luck,

Shane

smccarrick wrote:
    Re: cigarettes- thats US$10-12 (8.00 Euro) for a box of 20 cigarettes.......
    Slight correction. Euro 7.05 for a pack of 20. Bring as many as you can through duty free. You should be ok with 3 or 4 cartons, though I think the absolute legal limit is one carton per person.

About the smoking ban... (this is way off accom. topic I know, so sorry mods) I wouldn't let it put me off, if I were you. It's actually worked out rather well. The smoking areas, now tend to be the most sociable parts of the bar and lots of people congragate there. Generally, as a smoker, I prefer it the way it is versus the way it was. You don't come home stinking of smoke after a night out, you smoke less and its easier to 'mix' with other like minded bronchially challenged individuals!

smccarrick wrote:
    To be quite honest- its more pain than joy with an Alfa, and any repair work is shockingly expensive.......

Good to see Alfa is still towing the line.
    In general the larger the engine- the higher the insurance costs.

So maybe not such a good idea to bring over the 7.8 liter diesel truck?
    Diesels only really start to be popular at 1.8 litre and higher (the smaller ones are so under powered they're not funny). You will get a discount because of your age- once you're over 30 it does drop markedly. If you can prove no speeding tickets etc- thats normally good for a 20% discount too. I'm 33 and driving a 2 litre with a value of around 20k costs me about 800 for fully comprehensive insurance (and unfortunately another 680 for annual government road tax, wich also has to be paid upfront). Private transport is pricey here- but its a necessity, as public transport is not the most reliable.

That Vento(VW Jetta here I think) 1.9 TDi is looking better every moment. I have seen some with 60K miles asking less than 4500 EU. That's slightly less than here.
    Re: cigarettes- thats US$10-12 (8.00 Euro) for a box of 20 cigarettes....... It would make a lot of sense to bring yourself a small supply!

Good luck,

Shane

Oh yes. Last time over I brought 4 cartons. I'll be bringing some with me. Listen, are Lucky's hard to find there? I mostly smoked the Marlboros I brougth for a friend last time out. They are starting to get hard to find here...

Slainte'!

Wes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

www.buyandsell.ie might help you in buying a car also. You'll be in Dublin so just type in Leinster as the place you want to search.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Dukephil

Hi Wyk,

You didn't ask this question but I will answer it anyway!
    One bright spot in the cost of living difference is the fact that medical Health Insurance costs far less over here than in the US, so it's not all doom and gloom. Granted, the actual offering you purchase is of lower quality (the main private health insurer in a semi-state company, it's very complicated) but it still costs a fraction of what you would pay in the US. Stock up on Twinkie bars and enjoy your stay.

Shh, don't let it get out. Americans think their health system is the greatest in the world. Most Americans don't realize how expensive it is compared to other countries, or the fact it really isn't any better for your typical hospital visit.

I am told by my employer that as long as I am employed with an Irish company, my taxes pay for my health benefits. Sound right?

Wes
    Dukephil wrote:
    Hi Wyk,

You didn't ask this question but I will answer it anyway!
    One bright spot in the cost of living difference is the fact that medical Health Insurance costs far less over here than in the US, so it's not all doom and gloom. Granted, the actual offering you purchase is of lower quality (the main private health insurer in a semi-state company, it's very complicated) but it still costs a fraction of what you would pay in the US. Stock up on Twinkie bars and enjoy your stay.

Obliged.

Wes
    dellas1979 wrote:
    www.buyandsell.ie might help you in buying a car also. You'll be in Dublin so just type in Leinster as the place you want to search.

wyk wrote:
    I am told by my employer that as long as I am employed with an Irish company, my taxes pay for my health benefits. Sound right?

Wes

Errrr- thats the public health system......
    Aka- queue for 46 hours in accident and emergency with 2 broken fingers from a Saturday afternoon to the following Monday morning, while the bozos with alcohol poisoning get their stomachs pumped. (Or most recently for me- queue for 5 hours after being sent to A&E from the Respiratory Section of the same hospital when they found blood clots in my leg- and even thats after I have private health insurance........)

68% of Irish people have private health insurance (our biggest providors are The VHI, BUPA (Quinn Health Care) Avivas and a few more smaller companies). In most cases you would either get private health insurance from your employer- or at very least the possibility of having tax free deductions made directly from your salary to pay for private health insurance.

Seriously- you are entitled to public health care if you pay taxes in Ireland- but the vast vast majority of Irish people pay health insurance, which is wholly tax deductable at source and very good value in comparison with the US.

I would seriously advise that you broach this with your employer at the first opportunity........

Will do. Although, as an aside, I do intend to only break my fingers one at a time...

That 5 hour wait is roughly what ya get here, only you pay $300 a month for it.

Wes
    smccarrick wrote:
    Errrr- thats the public health system......
    Aka- queue for 46 hours in accident and emergency with 2 broken fingers from a Saturday afternoon to the following Monday morning, while the bozos with alcohol poisoning get their stomachs pumped. (Or most recently for me- queue for 5 hours after being sent to A&E from the Respiratory Section of the same hospital when they found blood clots in my leg- and even thats after I have private health insurance........)

68% of Irish people have private health insurance (our biggest providors are The VHI, BUPA (Quinn Health Care) Avivas and a few more smaller companies). In most cases you would either get private health insurance from your employer- or at very least the possibility of having tax free deductions made directly from your salary to pay for private health insurance.

Seriously- you are entitled to public health care if you pay taxes in Ireland- but the vast vast majority of Irish people pay health insurance, which is wholly tax deductable at source and very good value in comparison with the US.

I would seriously advise that you broach this with your employer at the first opportunity........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People aren't anti-dog, its just impractical for apartment living. Some people just don't respect others, so there is a blanket ban in most apartment complexes.
    wyk wrote:
    What are some pubs I should hop into in Dub 12/20/22/24 etc. that won't immediately try and head butt this 'foreigner'?
    Like anywhere, you will find a mixed bunch. Some places are lovely, some places even the locals avoid.
    I do understand immigration has been heavy recently, and I gotta believe not every paddy is happy with it. So I expect to run into that scene sooner or later. But, best to avoid places I am certainly not welcome. I hate to dwell on such a subject, but life is what it is.
    Mostly there is no hassle. You might get a little bit of hassle from the Saturday night drunk-types and the anti-Bush types, but you seem to be one of them anyway (most people seem to realise the difference between Americans and American foreign policy).

Note the US Gallon is smaller than the Imperial gallon - we use litres anyway.

For Health Insurance you are possibly looking at €800 per year for an OK package. Doctor visits you pay yourself. Dental and optical is subsidised by your social insurance - but as a new entrant you may have to wait.

wyk wrote:
    Wes
    It's probable that your employer is paying VHI/Bupa/Vivas for you, which is what smmacarrick means by private health insurance. Even if they aren't it's pretty cheap relatively (500 a year will get you a more than adequate plan). Most Irish companies, in my experience pay the health insurance for their employees, although my current on doesn't.

It's probable that your employer is paying VHI/Bupa/Vivas for you? Most Irish companies I've worked for do (although my current on doesn't)

It really depends on the sector and the industry. No-one in the public sector has anything paid for them. Most multinationals will not automatically pay VHI/BUPA but will have schemes that you can join and pay for with a straight pre-tax deduction from your salary.

There are very few companies who offer health insurance these days automatically (as its a taxable benefit that would incur an income tax cost on the part of the recipient).

My reading of the OPs statement is that his employer is paying PRSI contributions- therefore he is entitled to public health care, perhaps I'm wrong?

S.

Wow, I've learned so much. Y'aller great.

The owner of the company I am joining is a good man. We've already been to pub and got on well(and I was reminded just how uh..colorful paddy can be with his language once he's enjoyed a few pints...). He means to help me as much as he can. At least that's what I ascertained between the swearing and singing. So, I am sure most of the business stuff will be sorted well and good.

I do appreciate all the great help. You're certainly owed a pint or two. Assuming you can trap me in a pub and hold me to it ;)

Oh, listen, do y'all even have Lucky Strikes at all? Though I enjoy most anything, I've a fondness for Lucky's above and beyond all else. Also, I certainly am looking forward to Cuban cigarettes and cigars on occasion, and what all else the great and wise US have decided we can do without...

Wes

smccarrick wrote:
    It really depends on the sector and the industry. No-one in the public sector has anything paid for them. Most multinationals will not automatically pay VHI/BUPA but will have schemes that you can join and pay for with a straight pre-tax deduction from your salary.

There are very few companies who offer health insurance these days automatically (as its a taxable benefit that would incur an income tax cost on the part of the recipient).

My reading of the OPs statement is that his employer is paying PRSI contributions- therefore he is entitled to public health care, perhaps I'm wrong?

S.

• Advertisement

Lucky Strikes are available primarily through vending machines.
    Re: Cuban cigarettes and cigars- no probs getting them here- Cohiba are sold pretty widely (but are expensive).

This tradewebsite gives you an idea of the types of cigarettes sold here.

Advertisement