Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Traffic Controller

Options
  • 31-07-2007 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

This type of job has always appealed to me. Ive heard its tough to get into and a stressful job but would seriously think about about it if the opportunity came up. Does anyone know if its possible to do it in this country? Ive checked www.iaa.com a few times over the last couple of years but there are no vacancies. Anyone know the next time they will be taking trainees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd check out this forum for all things aviation.
    You might find something and it has a lot of content specific to Ireland

http://www.pprune.org/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Will do thx:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They take students nearly every year at the training facility at Shannon

They generally dont keep many on however

While it may be a great qualification/skill, you may have to travel for a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

They take students nearly every year at the training facility at Shannon

They generally dont keep many on however

While it may be a great qualification/skill, you may have to travel for a job

Do you know do the shannon facility advertise or how would i get info on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The IAA have taken on very few trainees since the start of this decade, two full intakes of 24 plus a mixed intake of 12 Irish/12 Icelandic students.

The age profile of controllers in the company means that some effort will have to be made to address future staff shortages, whether that will be by taking on new trainees or by direct intake of qualified controllers is yet to be decided.

The company is currently in negotiations with the controllers union re. pay and conditions, I'd expect some move to be made on staffing once those negotiations are concluded.

Neo#, I am fairly certain that you can ask HR at the IAA to place you on an interest list so that they will contact you if they do start recruiting new trainees.

As an alternative, take a look at the UK's NATS. They have regular intakes of trainees.

• Advertisement

Timmy_d wrote:
    Do you know do the shannon facility advertise or how would i get info on them?

They will advertise in the national press if a class is taken on.

Alternatively, contact HR at the IAA to express an interest, they should contact you if they take recruits on.

http://www.iaa.ie/contacts_list.asp?ID=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Ever consider joining the aer corps? They have their own ATC people. I'd say you'd have to join up in the regular way and then wait for a course to be advertised internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'd say VATSIM would give you a great idea of what its like. Basically, on those microsoft flight sim games, you can play online with real people flying and real people controlling. Its very popular. To fly you have to own the game but its free to ATC. Just register and download VRC. VRC simulates the radar system used by air traffic controllers to guide aircraft along their routes through the simulated world on VATSIM.

VATSIM home page
    VRC client
    Vateir - Irish division of VATSIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW_XOm0Rb24

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

.........or train to become a controller with VATSIM! You'll need some knowledge of it to get into it though

Thanks guys for all the replies. Im looking into it. And VATSIM looks class by the way:D Must look into that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'd say VATSIM would give you a great idea of what its like. Basically, on those microsoft flight sim games, you can play online with real people flying and real people controlling. Its very popular. To fly you have to own the game but its free to ATC. Just register and download VRC. VRC simulates the radar system used by air traffic controllers to guide aircraft along their routes through the simulated world on VATSIM.

Was at a flight sim convention as an exhibitor and saw a demonstration of this, was quiet impressed, the controller was explainng that at peak times the controllers at Heathrow deal with about 80% of the traffic load of the real airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I will ask the training manager and get back to you.. will be talking to him tonight

Actually just try this

http://www.iaa.ie/comm_trn/trn_staff.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm on Vatsim with a controller rating, and having visited the new Shannon ATC center - I was very surprised at how realistic it is.

I could follow everything on screen, decode flightstrips and understand the terminology and procedures. Definitely worth getting into if you've any interest in aviation (as a pilot or Controller)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Emailed the IAA yesterday about ATC positions and this is the reply I got:

"Please confirm your Postal Address and you will be added to our mailing list. A recruitment drive is imminent and will appear in coming weeks in national newspapers and IAA website."

Goodstuff!

Recruitment starting today:

Details

Online application only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Just applied there myself;
    I had contacted them last year about this and was told I'd be on the list but heard nothing else since;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Jaysus, I'd have more chance of winning the Lotto. The last round in 2001 had over 2500 applicants for 24 positions. That said I guess if your not in, you can't win. Better fill in an application :D:D

Good news indeed. I will apply myself. The timing of this thread turned out to be perfect!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Great info and links guys. Long term IT person here thinking about a career change. Is 30 too old to do this? I think I'd be good at it. These simulators could help me get in the mindset needed to do the aptitude test. So good stuff.

Anyway, anyone know what the working hours are. I know it's a 24/7/365 job, but how long does a shift last. Do you do multiple short shifts in one day?

Does the training allowance come in under the tax exempt levels, anyone know?

Based of what my dad used to do it was 5 on and 3 off in rotation. Normally it was a Late (start at 1 finish at 11), Swing, Morning, Nights 1 nights 2, 3 days off. That was in snn

• Advertisement

Ginger wrote:
    Based of what my dad used to do it was 5 on and 3 off in rotation. Normally it was a Late (start at 1 finish at 11), Swing, Morning, Nights 1 nights 2, 3 days off. That was in snn

Thanks for that, but I'm not following, does that mean 5 days on, 3 days off, or 5 hours on and 3 hours off and then another 5 hours, so your shift would be maybe 13 hours in all.

5 Days on 3 days off... but that is a while back.. it could have changed..

Ginger wrote:
    5 Days on 3 days off... but that is a while back.. it could have changed..

ah right, I understand....thanks Ginger

anyone know what's involved in the first computerised test? Is it something you can prepare or is it designed to see the real you and determine if you have the basic skills or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Applyed there myself now. Yea same queston that darren has what can you do to prepare for the aptiude test???????? Gonna have 3 aptitude tests nxt onth now. So need some help on this 1!!!!!!! :D

Click to download: Recruitment Process for Student Air Traffic Controller Programme 2007

- Planning ability
    - Spatial Awareness/Orientation
    - Figural Reasoning
    - Short Term Memory - coping with distractions
    - Following Directions
    - Reaction Time
    - Verbal Reasoning
    - Quantitative Reasoning
    - Dynamic alertness
    - Style of Coping with Conflicts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

I saw ads for trainee ATCs in the Indo last Thursday. More details. Online application only. Closing date 10th Sept. Born before 1/5/1988. 5 passes in Leaving Cert to include maths with min of grade C in 2 higher level papers. Training is 2 years and training allowance is 18k pa. On graduation salary is 47k. Online application form available at www.iaa.ie

bit slow there kevin :D

the recklessone you know of a cd or book thats available to help you with the test?

• Advertisement

this might seem odd, but anyone got a clue as to how to get my Leaving Cert results? I did my LC in 1993, so I haven't a clue where my results sheet is and can only remember the results of a couple of papers.

Would the Dept. of Education have a service for this?

Advertisement