Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Dating

Options
  • 27-06-2007 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Right, need to do some serious work about finding myself a fella.... ;) Myself and a few friends were talking about different ways to meet guys and one of them suggested speed dating...... I've always thought of this as something that desperate or not very attractive people do.... I don't mean this in a bad way but............

Does anyone have experience of speed dating.......?? Is it worth a try???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I did it twice many years ago...

I found that most of the women there just go along in a huge group for a laugh and don't seem to take the thing too seriously...

Maybe it's improved these days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Never tried is Carole, dont think my girlfriend would be too happy with me if I did:D

Gof for it , youre gauranteed a bit of excitement and once youre aware that you will meet the the bad and the ugly aswell as the good then Im sure youll find it worthwhile.......nothing desperate about it-can be hard meeting people these days;)

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 CaroleLynch

It's getting SO hard to meet anyone especially on a night out.... I don't go out in large gangs of cackling women and always make an effort to talk to guys..... God I even approach them myself.... Myself and my friends are a good looking bunch so I really don't know where we're going wrong...

Why don't you guys call or text...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Never tried, it. I met my girlfriend on a night out so did most of my friends. Depends on how old you are though. I'd say the age group for speed dating is a good bit older, like 28+ , early thirties.. etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Where are you from OP? There is a speed dating event coming up in Limerick soon.

See this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055110553

I'm a single male in late 20s, 30 next week ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I find going to night clubs these days that most of the women are in their early 20s and have no interest in a conversation.

I wouldn't be one to approach a girl in a pub either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

i've been to it twice before. went to events that these guys organised http://www.speeddatingireland.com/
    it can be good fun, but tbh, i found it quite tedious. u end up having the same conversation again and again. having said that, i have met girls at it that i ended up going out with so it was worth it i guess!
    go along to one of the events. you'll have a great time, esp if u go with a few of ur mates! sure u have nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes,
    i was wondering about this as well, Im in Dublin, am 34, and have been single for 18 months since breaking up with my long term girlfriend.
    I havnt met anyone in this time, it seems to be really tricky and Im not good at the old chatting up!, friends tell me i look good, i have a good job, own house and stuff and would love to meet somebody, i think it would be very nerve racking, but could be worth a shot, dont really have any single friends to go along with, a female friend of mine was talking about it, maybe i should ask her to go along

Speed dating is something i have thought about. mainly because night clubs and stuff are not the kind of place a guy like me prospers.

i'm in my mid twenties but i look older. i just want to have a bit of craic with the opposite sex. maybe i'm going to the wrong places.

i'd feel like an eejit goin to a speed date, unless i was with mates who had the same agendas.

it can be good fun, but tbh, i found it quite tedious. u end up having the same conversation again and again.
    Yep... and if you try vary it a little bit and ask some different and unusual questions to break the monotony they think you're a wierdo.

Although in my case that would a correct assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Right, need to do some serious work about finding myself a fella.... ;) Myself and a few friends were talking about different ways to meet guys and one of them suggested speed dating......

May I suggest coming on to Boards and announcing you're single and looking.? :D Bet you've got ten PMs already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

patrick123 wrote:
    Yes,
    i was wondering about this as well, Im in Dublin, am 34, and have been single for 18 months since breaking up with my long term girlfriend.
    I havnt met anyone in this time, it seems to be really tricky and Im not good at the old chatting up!, friends tell me i look good, i have a good job, own house and stuff and would love to meet somebody, i think it would be very nerve racking, but could be worth a shot, dont really have any single friends to go along with, a female friend of mine was talking about it, maybe i should ask her to go along

when i was there i noticed quite a few guys that were on their own. the girls really admired it as well. they thought it showed a lot of bottle. go along to it patrick, you'll get snapped up!

Yeah MrMojoRising, could be worth a shot, i tend to get very nervous in those type of situations, which is very annoying of course, Im sure ill spend all summer debating it.. I am on long holidays from work these days so Im just hanging out thinking about all this stuff! Hav nt been on a date since i became a single man, would do me the world of good.

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I think I'll give it a go - what have I got to lose???? There seems to be a lot of singles on boards.ie - we should organise our own singles night out......????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I think I'll give it a go - what have I got to lose???? There seems to be a lot of singles on boards.ie - we should organise our own singles night out......????

Boards Beers! August is the next one I think. Ask the veterans.

qz wrote:
    Boards Beers! August is the next one I think. Ask the veterans.

Boards Beers..... What a great idea.... Where do I find out about the next one in Dublin......??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

God I even approach them myself....

That's refreshingly different. Lord knows it's freakin' difficult having to do it as a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

You should be grand if you go along with a group of friends. Id be a bit more self concious if i was going along on my own however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

i think speed dating is a bit pathetic and you shouldn't go out looking desperately for a guy...if you meet him that's fine but if you don't there is no problem at all!

I find strange that some women have difficulties in finding a guy... I never had this problem and tbh It also happens to me that boys stop me in the streets and start chatting with me...

but maybe it's just me....:p

Why thank you Petey2006......... If the mountain won't come to Mohammed then Mohammed will take the trip to the mountain....... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bandit*baby

funloving wrote:
    i think speed dating is a bit pathetic and you shouldn't go out looking desperately for a guy...if you meet him that's fine but if you don't there is no problem at all!

I find strange that some women have difficulties in finding a guy... I never had this problem and tbh It also happens to me that boys stop me in the streets and start chatting with me...

there are 4 women to every 1 man in dub the odds aren't in our favour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

..I was talking about Dublin...a lot of guys started flirting with me in the streets,park, etc when they were sober :D (no offence!)...

maybe is the sex appeal of a foreigner!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

since when did you hear this one? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

We've been saying it for ages WE NEED A SINGLES NIGHT OUT !!!!!
    Mods can we get a thread for this ? Or where should we put it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

DAMN :eek: ..... <- Should move to Dublin me thinks

funloving wrote:
    maybe is the sex appeal of a foreigner!
    Yep... that certainly does weigh in your favour.

There's a girl from overseas working in my office at the moment and the men are all over her like flies on sh*t.

funloving wrote:

Well funloving, I'm sorry you find it so strange, I guess we're not all as lucky in love as you........ I never said I went out "desperately" looking for a guy I'm just looking at different ways of meeting them.... I go out with my friends to have a good time and if I meet someone great, if I don't I'm not at home crying myself to sleep....

I find it very hard to believe that it's a regular occurence for guys to stop you on the street. Please tell me your secret....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

depends also on what type of guys stop u to chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

funloving wrote:
    i think speed dating is a bit pathetic and you shouldn't go out looking desperately for a guy...

That's a bit harsh, isn't it?! Why's it pathetic? I've never been myself, but I cant see what's so pathetic about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I did it once a few years back. First observation is that it is quite exhausting to essentially chat up 20+ people in quick succession and it may not suit all people as some are simply bad at first impressions (and some are very good at first impressions, but terrible thereafter).

Secondly people are often grouped by age, which may not appeal to everyone as people will have preferences for potential dates that are outside their designated age group.

Finally there's typically a social event organized after the speed dating itself and many people hook up at that point.

Speed dating works for some people and not for others. My own opinion is to give it a try at least once and not take it too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hanni1234

Myself and my mates were talking about speed dating. Where is it? Carole i have a big bunch of sound lads to meet up with your group if youre in Dublin this weekend ;)

Advertisement