Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics-How long to break them in?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I've just gotten orthotics (4 weeks)that were perscribed to cure my "shin splints" problem. Or to say it more correctly I'm not a nutural long distance runner and the pain in my shins became unbearable untill I sought help and was advised to get orthotics.

I'd like to know if anyone was in the same position as me if they could answer a few questions like: Did the orthotics cure the problem?How long did it take to work? Did you suffer from a lot of blisters breaking them in?

I've had mine 4 weeks and I'm still suffering with my shins when I go for small runs and the orthotics themslves are really cutting into me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

when you got the orthotics did you break them in by wearing them an hour a day?

I'm onto my second pair, and I only picked these up on friday. They are painful but they should not be cutting you. It takes a couple of weeks for me to get used to them.

Call the place you got them and have a word. If it's a physio or podiatrist they will be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I broke mine in very slowly. An hour a day increasing every few weeks Did not run in them over distance for quite a while, sounds to me you are running distances in them too soon? I have them a few months now and they feel great. Pretty much cleared up the condition for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

with orthotics you need to break them in an hour a day for the first day, two hours for the second day, three hours the third day, four hours the fourth........ and so on until you can wear them for a full day without problem. If you have discomfort at e.g. 5 hours drop back to wearing them for 4 hours for another few days before building it back up again.

NOT UNTIL YOU CAN WEAR THEM FOR A FULL WEEK (SEVEN FULL DAYS) DO YOU EVEN ATTEMPT TO RUN IN THEM.

You have spent I'm guessing round 20years walking around on pronated (flat) feet you can't expect to adjust (with impact) in a short period of time. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

I advise you to get a proper pair of shoes and runners for proper support too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

A number of years ago a chiropractor suggested I get a pair of orthotics and referred me to a colleague of his who happened to fit them. The chiro only referred me after 6 sessions with him only treating the symptoms and not the cause of my problem.

So I paid for the orthotics (just in my left shoe) and tried them out for 6 months and the condition in my back got worse.

A friend of mine suggested I go and see an osteopath he used. Went to osteo and he said my hips were out of alignment and this was causing the problem in my back. He also said that wearing orthotics in left shoe would make it worse.

The osteopath path realigned my hips, back and shoulders in 4 sessions. Along with the osteo work I increased my core strengthening and incorporated some horse stance work into my workouts. I have had no problems since……..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 carebearbrian

hi all,
    Be aware of people that dispense foot Orthotics that have have no formal qualifications. Its is very easy to attend a day course and suddendly the person is an expert in foot Orthotics. Most qualifications take around 4 years. Check which affiliation the clinician is member of and if it doesnt stack up, find a person who has the right qualifications. dont be affriad to ask what experience or qualifications the person has in designing foot orthotics before you fork out money. Always consult a qualified medical proffesional, ie a Podiatrist, Orthotist. Orthotics are designed to a patients individual prescription and if the person dispensing the Orthotic hasnt got it right, can cause more problems to develope without actually addressing the original issue. Designing Orthotics can be a complex problem. It is important to understand the mechanics behind whats causing the problem. This is taken into account when designing the Orthotic with regards to footwear styles, Orthotic materials, etc, etc etc.
    Also, an Orthotic device is something that is added to the muscular skeletal system to correct or change a particular function by stabilising or enhancing its function.
    It is understandable why people get frustrated and pay a lot of money for a device that doesnt do what its supposed to do, when clearly they would benefit from some type of device but it was simply made wrong from the start.

Advertisement