Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thought police have banned Manhunt 2

Options
  • 20-06-2007 11:28am

I don't even play games that much but now I really want this game!
    Ireland has joined the UK in banning the controversial violent video game Manhunt 2, it was confirmed today.

The Irish Film Censors Office (IFCO) said it contained gross acts of violence, making it the first video game to be banned in the State.

This comes after it was announced yesterday the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) rejected the same game because of its brutal and explicit content.

“A prohibition order has been made by IFCO in relation to the video game Manhunt 2,” said a statement posted on the Film Censor’s website.

“The Order was made under Sec 7 (1) (b) of the Video Recordings Act 1989 which refers to acts of gross violence or cruelty (including mutilation and torture).
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfojgbsnid/

Is there even any point in banning games in this day in age when the internet provides an easy way around it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

What makes this game so much more violent than, say, GTA?

The actual ruling by the BBFC
    “Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly. Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the material which contravenes the Board’s published Guidelines. In the case of Manhunt 2 this has not been possible.

"Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

“Although the difference should not be exaggerated the fact of the game’s unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer, together with the different overall narrative context, contribute towards differentiating this submission from the original Manhunt game.

"[Manhunt] was classified ‘18’ in 2003, before the BBFC’s recent games research had been undertaken, but was already at the very top end of what the Board judged to be acceptable at that category.”

“Against this background, the Board’s carefully considered view is that to issue a certificate to Manhunt 2, on either platform, would involve a range of unjustifiable harm risks, to both adults and minors, within the terms of the Video Recordings Act, and accordingly that its availability, even if statutorily confined to adults, would be unacceptable to the public.”

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news/article.jsp?releaseId=2007061911474843030&articleId=2007061911474843030&sectionId=1006

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

b.ie polar wrote:
    What makes this game so much more violent than, say, GTA?

They believe that Manhunt has just got too much gratuitous violence where there is no reason at all for it. GTA is too much of a big game to be taken down as it is one of the biggest franchise of the past decade. Anywho, I got bored with the 1st Manhunt, too repetitive. It's stupid, I don't need fùcking protection from anything (well, unless it was something physical). Before I go into a rant about the gaming industry again I just think it's always down to the parent and the shop owner if protecting kids, period!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You can buy it on Play.com. It'll be a bestseller because of the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Play.com won't be shipping it anywhere within the UK as the BBFC rating now forbids that. Anyone living in Ireland should still be able to buy it unless the IFC bans it as well.

You'll note that the Play.com website is not up to date
    Rating

RATING TBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Irish film censor in "we generally just do whatever the brits do tbh" shock

I heard him dis morning on de ould rahdeeoo, "im no expert on video games". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

"Thought Police" is a bit rich, the IFCO have never banned a game before. Seems to me the game seems to consist of pure unrelentless violence, purely for the sake of unrelentless violence. The IFCO must not have taken this decision lightly as they are generally more on the liberal side of things - I seem to remember them giving an 18 cert to some film that had been banned in the UK and elsewhere.

True though, this decision will make many people want to get their hands on this game, including me. Bet it won't be any good thought.

It's sorta stupid really, we're in the digital age where now buy stuff on the net often. Suppose this means we can actually buy the game at a bargain, cheers IFCO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Just to point out before anyone starts coming out with the old "Britain sneezes and Ireland blows its nose" saw, it was actually banned here first according to the censor, anyhoo I do think it's a bit daft and that it is up to the parents to monitor what their kids are playing as for adults well they can decide for themselves what they play or not. And yes now that it's been banned I would like a copy to see what all the fuss is about, if it hadn't I probably wouldn't have given it a second look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

IFCO banned it BEFORE the brits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I love that they said the reason it was banned was because it contained 'causual sadism'

:D

makes me wonder if it had been more formal sadism, less nonchalant sadism, it would of been grand?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've no interest in the game, but I don't see why an adult shouldn't be allowed to buy this if they want to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thought police? Ha.
    Funny thing about that is that the current censor has been the most leniant - he gave 9 Songs an 18's cert and allowed it out on general release (as it should be IMO).

I can see his point though (as I said on the Nintendo forum) - Manhunt is violent for the sake of violence and controversy... it does mean sales will skyrocket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Damn! I have been waiting for this game since last December...Screw you boards of censorship! Oh well a Dutch import will have to do. A reason to learn the language...

The-Rigger wrote:
    I love that they said the reason it was banned was because it contained 'causual sadism'

:D

makes me wonder if it had been more formal sadism, less nonchalant sadism, it would of been grand?

:p

Its the difference between I'll rip this guys eye balls out for fun rather than I'll do it to......

Save the world!
    ;)

And yes now that it's been banned I would like a copy to see what all the fuss is about, if it hadn't I probably wouldn't have given it a second look.

Exactly, I haven't been interested in something like this since all the hub-bub about South Park when it first came out and now it's one of my favourite shows since I watched the 1st episode all those years ago. I'll take IFCO's word for it as they are pretty liberial when it comes to violence, I've seen and played a lot of recent violent movies & games. I bet Manhunt 2 is shìt though, didn't like the 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Oh well a Dutch import will have to do. A reason to learn the language...
    'Okej feller, get yerself over here sho i can shlice yer up real nashty' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seansouth wrote:
    IFCO banned it BEFORE the brits.

SET tin_foil_hat= 1

They were given the wink from the brits though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Duggy747 wrote:
    I bet Manhunt 2 is shìt though, didn't like the 1st one.

Maybe it's shít and the censor is just trying to save us money!

I'd have no problem with this getting an 18 cert - no matter how violent it it it's still simulated violence and someone over 18 can tell the difference - if they can't that's not the game's fault.

But this isn't something I'd get too bothered about, either, because it's hard to justify a game like Manhunt when it has zero redeeming qualities. GTA was a great game and the violence was largely justifiable (it was a gangster game, after all). While I don't support Manhunt's banning, I couldn't support it's release either, because I think it's cynical and opportunist on the part of Rockstar, and they're just giving idiots ammunition in order to turn a quick buck or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

griffdaddy wrote:
    'Okej feller, get yerself over here sho i can shlice yer up real nashty' :D

Excellent :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

The ban might teach those game designers to come up with something more original, instead of going for the lowest common denominator all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The ban might teach those game designers to come up with something more original, instead of going for the lowest common denominator all the time.
    The place is hardly coming down with games that force the main character to make a snuff movie is it? and it's hardly the lowest common denominator!

Wait? When was it banned?

I'm pretty sure I saw it in a games shop in Galway.. well, it was "reserve your copy now". Also, it was available on the Wii. Killing people just became more hands-on. Would've been interesting to see how they worked it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

I think the hands on element of the game is whats really causing the problems, increases the levels of interactivity really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

cornbb wrote:
    True though, this decision will make many people want to get their hands on this game, including me. Bet it won't be any good though.

Lol I feel the same. I hardly play video games but now I really want to play this one and see how it'll ''harm me''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I enjoyed the original Manhunt. At times there was a savage sense of tension involved that really got the old heart going.

Was it pretty brutal on the murder side? Yes it was, but frankly who gives a toss. In my opinion we should be beyond "banning" anything and a simple rating system should be enforced the right way. If some parent doesn't mind their kid playing a violent game then so be it.

For me, i can do far more sick and twisted things in GTA than i ever could in Manhunt, as my camera full of pictures of dead hookers will attest to. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Anytime I've been in a game store, I've often seen staff refuse to sell 18+ games to minors. Fair play, they are enforcing the rules.

The only way a minor can get it(leaving aside the internet) is to get an adult to buy it for them.

So parents in general can't realy be that outraged and concerned if some are buying unsuitable games in the first place.

I've heard the director of the IFCO on newstalk 106 a few times and he seems on the ball, I doubt this was a decision taken lightly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wonder if this is a once off incident or will more games get banned?

It does seem that this game was banned as all it involves, or requires, is brutal killing. Now the likes of Doom, half-life, GTA and well most games pretty much revolve around some distraction like saving the world or something while engaging in nonstop killing. Even Condemned, which I found to be a pretty harsh game violence wise has a "goodness" element to it.

While I don't agree with the ban, I can see where they're coming from. I just worried that they'll get an appetite for it.
    Censorship makes people do bad thing!:)

Dragan wrote:
    For me, i can do far more sick and twisted things in GTA than i ever could in Manhunt, as my camera full of pictures of dead hookers will attest to. ;)

Ha Ha! There was a discussion Fm104 last night about it where, suprise suprise, mammies, taxi drivers, and "professional" people called in talking utter horse whallop. One guy stated 13% of violence is caused by video games. WHAT!?! Where do you get that statistic from?

What next? A person will be arrested cuz he murdered someone with a high-quantum flux-capacitor plasma gun?

I remember a while ago PrimeTime done a program on boy racers and they got around to racing games like Need For Speed. Some "professional" stated that people play games like these and they can't tell the difference between game and reality when they're on the road. Jesus Christ!!!!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Can anyone actually see the IFCO installing the game and playing it through, no way, I bet they just called their buddies in the BBFC as usual

Advertisement