Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shandy Thread.

Options
  • 23-05-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

To all the barmen or shandy enthusiasts out there, when exactly does a shandy become a shandy?

Pighead always thought that any amount of lemonade in your beer turned it into a shandy, but recently it has been brought to my attention that a beer can only be called a shandy when the glass is half lemonade/half beer.

One of the users on boards(kernel) added in a fair amount of lemonade into his pint of lager a couple of years back and obviously he got unmercifully slagged for doing so. However he took great exception to being called "Shandy Boy" as he claimed what he actually was drinking was called "A Lager Top".

Is he right? Should we start calling him "Lager Top Boy" instead? Does drinking watered down lager really make you less of a man?

Oh and do any of the kids from the 80's remember drinking Shandy from a brown can. The same type of cans that Coca-Cola and Fanta were in and which were freely available for kids to buy. Was their actually alcohol in these cans or was Pighead making a fool of himself by pretending he was drunk?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i'm dissapointed pighead, was pretty sure this was going to be about hand shandies..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

copacetic wrote:
    i'm dissapointed pighead, was pretty sure this was going to be about hand shandies..
    Nah, sorry copacetic, Pighead usually does his After Hours Masturbation Thread on a Thursday.
    Wednesday is for the Inane, Does It Really Actually Matter At The End Of The Day Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd give Pighead a shandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

The Cantrell & Cochran Group previously marketed a shandy drink called "Club Shandy", which contained orange or lemon soda and 0.5% (1 proof) of alcohol, but this has not been available since the mid-1990s.

Thats the stuff you remember in the brown can - taken from here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pighead wrote:
    Does drinking watered down lager really make you less of a man?

If done on the sly it could actually make you more of a man. As in you can drink more of the watered down stuff without 'becoming a danger to yourself and others' (As our local constable might say) than the straight up lager. Of course I wouldn't condone such behaviour. Down with that sort of thing!

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote:
    Thats the stuff you remember in the brown can - taken from here
    Thats the fcuking stuff! 0.5% alcohol! So Pighead wasn't pretending he was drunk. Bloody hell, surely theres some sort of libel action that can be taken against the cnuts. No wonder Pigheads a no good stinking tramp who wets his solied underpants and sleeps in gutters.

Pighead, I'm making pass after pass at you, but to no avail. What the hell is wrong with you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What of Guinness then?

I've seen many men pour an ounce or two of Ribena into their Guinness in order to 'take the taste off it'. Wtf??? Don't drink Guinness if you need to take the bleedin taste off it!!

I've oft poured a Smithwicks with 1/4 red lemonade, a Smithwicks with a Guinness head, and Heiniken, Budweiser & Carlsberg with 1/2 lemonade. I've never been asked to give someone a Stella shandy, which in my mind is a testiment to the quality of the beer.

If you're driving don't drink at all!

If you're drinking don't drink shandys you woman's blouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

From my bar-tendering days a Shandy was always half lemonade half lager. It was normally a bottle of 7up (glass type that you only get in pubs) and then topped up with lager from the tap.

Putting a small amount of lemonade in with the lager wouldn't constitute a Shandy imo, if it did where would you stop? A dash of lime in a pint, would that be a Shandy?

And as for the Club Shandy, yeah I remember that as a kid, absolutely horrible stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I remember those cans of shandy, i had one when i was eight. i believe i was somewhat tipsy.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Thats the fcuking stuff! 0.5% alcohol! So Pighead wasn't pretending he was drunk. Bloody hell, surely theres some sort of libel action that can be taken against the cnuts. No wonder Pigheads a no good stinking tramp who wets his solied underpants and sleeps in gutters.
    It was never 0.5%

I remember it being something like more like 0.00005%

connundrum wrote:
    I've never been asked to give someone a Stella shandy, which in my mind is a testiment to the quality of the beer.
    I think that's more to do with the fact that Stella has a sweet taste off it. Not saying that it's not a nice beer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

BaZmO* wrote:
    It was never 0.5%

I remember it being something like more like 0.00005%

A buddy of mine works in C&C ill see if I can get any official info off him about it.

An odd shandy I had is as follows -
    Pint of larger
    Drink half
    Add 1 x Bottle of smirnoff ice
    Drink all

Expensive and not all that nice.

Dudess wrote:
    Pighead, I'm making pass after pass at you, but to no avail. What the hell is wrong with you?!
    Pighead isn't just some testostorone fuelled hornbag who succumbs to any old boards chick offers of unrivalled passionate love-making sessions. No way, it takes years and at least 5 decent threads to convince Pighead you're worthy of his flesh.

To be honest, you're a bit needy for my liking, and the style of your posting would suggest to me that you've got hairy nipples. Now Pigheads not saying that you're a horrible girl, far from it but its just that hairy nipples kind of disgust me.

However the main reason its a no-no is because Pighead only fcuks Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

You can order a larger with a "Top", it would just a dash of lemonade on top, rather than half and half.. or one quater and three quaters..
    That stuff that C&C made ruled, I found a drink in Spain recently was the same as it, can't recall the name though..
    TK

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

When i was working barman. Shandy was half 7up half larger (usualy carlsberg) and a carlsberg top was 3/4+ larger, and rest 7up. So where I worked, a top was stronger than a shandy.

Had one customer who drank a coke shandy, 50% larger, 50% coke. Yuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Someone is selling the pull tab from the can on eBay from 1970s. :)Link to picture.

Pighead wrote:

Suggestion noted.

*goes off to apply for modship*

Ruu wrote:
    Someone is selling the pull tab from the can on eBay from 1970s. :)Link to picture.
    Ah sweet sweet memories(apart from the stinking taste). See the way it says not more than 2% proof on the can, what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

c - 13 wrote:
    A buddy of mine works in C&C ill see if I can get any official info off him about it.

Better still, see if you can get him to bring it back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

On a related point what's the consensus for order of beer + 7-up? I always used to add 7-up first (from splash gun) then beer to avoid an over frothy head.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    On a related point what's the consensus for order of beer + 7-up? I always used to add 7-up first (from splash gun) then beer to avoid an over frothy head.
    Yeah from what Pighead remembers its, lemonade in the pint glass first, getting some gas out of it and then slowly pouring the beer/lager in - otherwise it'll froth everywhere.

So we're all decided that shandies are for girls then right. Excellent.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    You should always put the 7-up in first and then top up with Lager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Unless it's a Smithwicks shandy, in which case, you use Red Lemonade.

seansouth wrote:
    Unless it's a Smithwicks shandy, in which case, you use Red Lemonade.
    Oh but of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've been known to have the odd shandy - especially when "on-call for dash to Holles Street" duties for Mrs Billy.

I'd have to say that my preference would be for a C&C White Lemonade with the lager. 7-UP makes a shandy way too sweet.

I can also confirm that the above-mentioned duties won't be coming around again for several years (if ever) - so my shandy-drinking days are done for now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

connundrum wrote:
    What of Guinness then?

I've seen many men pour an ounce or two of Ribena into their Guinness in order to 'take the taste off it'. Wtf??? Don't drink Guinness if you need to take the bleedin taste off it!!

I've oft poured a Smithwicks with 1/4 red lemonade, a Smithwicks with a Guinness head, and Heiniken, Budweiser & Carlsberg with 1/2 lemonade. I've never been asked to give someone a Stella shandy, which in my mind is a testiment to the quality of the beer.

If you're driving don't drink at all!

If you're drinking don't drink shandys you woman's blouse!

They are drinking it for the wrong reason then. I'm an out and out Guinness drinker, but I have tried it with Ribena and I have to say it was lovely. When you get near the end of the pint the head is totally purple. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I watched a girl order a Guinness and Black before. She then asked for a spoon and stirred it all up, let it settle down again, and proceeded to eat the head like a frickin' ice-cream. :eek:

Should this be in the BWS forum, or is it a bit un-beery for that?

Shandies/Guinness&Black are an abomination imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I once saw a lad order a shandy and a lager in a certain city centre pub that i used to regularly frequent. The barman asked him wryly if the shandy was for him or his boyfriend :D

Same barman who when i asked him for a coffee one fine afternoon replied "f**k off with yer coffee, you'll have a pint"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pighead wrote:

wow your standards have dropped it used to be only smods you pined after.
    Have you given up on your lust for Beruthial and deiced to increase your odds of scoring ?

Had Scraggs appearance on a politcal parties website have something to do with this ?

Have you become that much of a oerverted Pig that little miss FF is your pinup girl of choice to pork...... Bru will be devestated I'm sure.

1/2 and 1/2 is a shandy, and Kernel is right about the larger top but then again he is well 'odd'.

Advertisement