Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL and size of aircraft

Options
  • 15-05-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

Assuming I got a PPL - what's size of plane I am allowed to fly ?
    (don't laugh much ... let me dream a bit ... it is DC-3 I am thinking about).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Have a look at this thread for some further info.

To answer your specific question, you'll be type rated on the aircraft you learn on AFAIK, be it a Cessna 172, a Cherokee, or whatever. I'm not sure how involved the process is in getting a rating for other machinery, aside from twin engine ratings etc., but someone else here will.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

To fly a DC3 im sure you'd need CPL multi engine licence and then be actually type rated on the DC3.

PPLs only let you fly a small single engine non pressurised plane that you have been type rated on.

To quote wikipedia...

The very basic aircraft rating usually obtained by PPL(A) holders at their initial skills test is the Single Engine Piston Landplane (SEP) Class Rating. This allows flight of single-piston-engined, non-turbocharged, fixed-pitch propellor, fixed tricycle gear, non-pressurised land aeroplanes weighing less than 5,700 kg (with a few exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

pclancy wrote:

To quote wikipedia...

Thanks for the tip, Paul.

In fact, PPL may include broad range of sub-ratings, including multi-engine/tailwheel/turbo prop/etc ... the important difference with CPL
    is whether u allowed to be paid for flight or not....
    And yes, I'll need to be trained on DC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Are you gunna buy one? Can I be your friend if you do? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

DennisZ wrote:
    Thanks for the tip, Paul.

In fact, PPL may include broad range of sub-ratings, including multi-engine/tailwheel/turbo prop/etc ... the important difference with CPL
    is whether u allowed to be paid for flight or not....
    And yes, I'll need to be trained on DC3.

When you do a PPL SEP, there is limitation on engine type (simple non-turbo, non variable pitch prop etc) and weight.
    You can fly all the basic types Cessna 150, 152, 172, 180, PA 18, Pa 28, etc on SEP.
    You used to be able to fly an Antonov AN-2, which I believe is the biggest thing you could fly on SEP.
    Still single engine and within weight limitations.
    But (there is always a but in aviation) both the AN-2 and Pa-18 mentioned above are tailwheel so now need tailwheel rating or conversion to fly them.

DC3 would be too heavy, it is tailwheel and it is multiengine so no you could not fly it on basic PPL SEP.

For explanation on JAA licences go to CAA Lasors on Flight Crew Licensing.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20C.pdf

Fo JAA license explanations on ratings....

http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/licensing.html

Please note to understand any of the licensing documents you nearly need to be lawyer.
    I would not rely on Wikipedia for licensing information.
    It gives introduction but not the full lowdown.

Here is a stab (and it is not easy to cover everything) at a simple explanation...

Type ratings applies to complex and large aircraft.
    You have what is called Differences & Familiarisation Training.
    The whole idea of type ratings is where the aircraft is different or more complex e.g multi-engine, single engine turboprop, seaplane or floatplane.
    Added to this recently is the idea of a tailwheel rating that did not exist previously.

Also you have ratings that apply to the way you fly or rather the conditions in which you can fly.
    There is a night ratings, Instrument Metrological Condition-IMC (UK only) and an Instrument Rating-IR i.e. you are flying using instruments and non-VFR or you are flying in the dark.

When go to large heavy aricraft you are talking about been rated or checked out on each aircraft type e.g Boeing 737, Airbus 330, Bell 412, Sikorsky S62.
    You need training and you need to be checked out on each type.

Do not consider the other ratings as sub ratings of PPL SEP.
    Some are totally new ratings (multi-engine) and some are ones that you can use with your PPL SEP (IR single engine, night rating, tailwheel rating, seaplane).

In theory you may not need CPL to fly DC3, but you definetly need Multiengine, Tailwheel and probably IR in case you find that bit of cloud.
    Big thing with CPL is you are meant to fly more precisely and can do it for money.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
Advertisement