Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] 1x20 - "Five Years Gone" - **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Options
  • 01-05-2007 1:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Alright, what did everyone think?

What did you think of this weeks episode? 116 votes

Amazing
    0% 0 votes
    Great
    89% 104 votes
    Okay
    6% 8 votes
    Bad
    3% 4 votes
    I wish I could go back in time 5 years and tell myself not to watch it!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Un****ingbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Nathan/Claire scene BLOODY HELL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Holy bleedin' jaysus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OMG I haven't even watched the episode yet and all these one word reviews are getting me very excited :D. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Possibly the best hour of Television ive seen all year. I need to let it sink in but just WOW!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OMZ Amazing stuff I love it!!!!!

Peter was teh uber jedi!

No lightsabres in 5 years time? Damn....

EDIT: OH MY ZOZ THE NATHAN AND CLAIRE SCENE MY ZOZ!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Excellent episode, nice seeing Claire in some hot pants!

Only thing I was hoping for was at least a glimpse at the Sylar/Peter battle. Lights and sound effects did not suffice!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

There should be a superlative greater than amazing for that episode,better than most action films i've seen in a while!

bad ass peter, nice... got a kinda neo matrix reloaded look about him with that costume..
    nice to know sylar is still tickin around, I wanna see that fight!!!!

wonder why the haitan was working against the specials, given his helping of claire?

you could see the hints of nathan being sylar when he was in the oval office talking of "getting rid of the competition"... very slick.

why can't lost be this good? i'd say this is way better than lost was back in season 1, much more satisfying.
    Another week to go! dammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

... i think i need to go lie down.

Amazing episode, shades of the "age of apocalypse" from the Xmen comics, so much going on, it's a shame it was only one episode in lenght, i'd loved to have seen more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

What I love so much is all the subtleties. Like when Peter finished speaking to Nikki and walked out to FH and Ando. On the way across the room he moved furniture out of his way with Telekinesis rather than walk around it. Just a nice little touch.

I really still don’t know what to say about this episode and what we have learned from it. I suppose the biggest thing is that Peter is the bomb. In that case if Hiro kills Sylar he doesn’t necessarily stop the bomb unless Sylar has already had a feast on Ted’s brains before it happens. This means that Peter can’t absorb exploding powers from either Ted or Sylar.

Claire was hot in those denims and with dark hair. If this makes me a pervert I’m sorry but I just can’t help it.

It all hangs on Hiro and Ando now. Does anyone else see Ando sacrificing himself to help Hiro? I hope not but it seems to be working out that way.

The Nate/Sylar and Claire scene was awesome. I really enjoyed seeing Sylar finally getting what he wanted. So creepy. His performances are amazing. I really don’t want to see him go so lets hope that Hiro decides to just kill Ted instead.

I actually liked the fact that we didn’t get to see the Peter and Sylar showdown too much it means we have something to look forward to.

I thought the characterization of future Matt was spot on. It also drew a lot of comparisons to Bennet and how he ended up in the situation he was in. One thing that irks me though is if Matt was around the president so much how come he didn’t figure out it was Sylar? How did Sylar mask his thoughts from a psychic who seemed to have pretty good control over his powers by then?

I also have lots of time travel concerns but I think it is always best to leave these alone as you just end up confusing yourself even more. Cant wait for next week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Great episode. Loved Sylar being president and Peter was damn cool! Love this show,will be a killer when it ends and we have to wait months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

MikeHoncho wrote:
    One thing that irks me though is if Matt was around the president so much how come he didn’t figure out it was Sylar? How did Sylar mask his thoughts from a psychic who seemed to have pretty good control over his powers by then?

I would imagine that in the five years since the bomb, he's eaten someones braaaaains that gave him the ability not to be read.
    It's implied that he got cadices powers first (shape shifter), then went after nathan, who was already president at the time.

Actually, the more i think about this, the more i'm convinced that the writers have a big stack o' Xmen comics beside them when they write this.
    Which is no bad thing.

And looking back i like the scene with nathan/sylar and mohinder in the white house
    "You're one of them nathan, should i march you off to the gas chamber too?"
    "I can fly, i'm hardly dangerous"

ooh, you devious fecker sylar.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I like the possibility that this episode opened. In the middle of storylines, Hiro could just skip into the future to see the impact that it had . Also Claire looks better with brown hair, alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Best 45 mins of tv ever!!! dam i love heroes...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

as everyone said, the claire/nathan scene
    wow
    first thing so far in a tv show that was that huge that i didnt see coming at ALL!
    next week wooooohoooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i just have to post twice... it was that good
    i mean, that easily could've been the series finale it was so good!
    JAYSUS!
    heroes is suuuuch a refreshing break from lost, they gladly seem to be busting out the series finale quality stuff at will, such a satisfying series. i think i might go watch it again....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

what an episode! Sylar/Nathan plot, wow what a twist!

Anyone think the comic book Future Hiro/Current Hiro has was made by Sylar? The artwork seems to be different to that of Isaac's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Brilliant episode! Too bad we didn't get to see the Peter/Sylar fight but alas, the rest of the episode made up for it. Really loving this show so far.

Also I think it's a bit early to be comparing this show to Lost, it's really only just starting out, where as Lost is in it's 3rd season. Everything's great when it's still new and fresh. Guaranteed this time next year there'll be no shortage of people whining about Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Amazing.

I actually thought the Sylar / Peter fight was okay. It didn't show the whole fight, but it was a great teaser (still hope, and expect, to see that fight before the end).

What I did expect more from was the fight in the lobby. "Shall we freeze time?", "No, I haven't had a good fight in years", *angry face*, ...and then we skip to the end :(

Aside from that minor gripe, maybe the best episode yet - and that's saying something. LOVED the Sylar reveal. Didn't see it coming at all, and the fact none of the characters seemed to know either made it all the better. That scene, and the whole episode really, seemed wonderfully under-played. They've got these fantastic events, twists and reveals which wouldn't be out of place at the very end of an episode of, for example, Lost (accompanied by big dramATIC MUSIC!, and following a 40-minute walk to get there) - but in Heroes it's just thrown in, one after another. Brilliant :)

Though Peter being the bomb wasn't handled quite as well, I thought. Fantastic in terms of the story, but the scene just didn't have the impact it should have had. Maybe I was just still in shock from Sylar's scene to really care at that stage ("Peter's the what now? Yeah, whatever... SYLARS THE PRESIDENT!!1OMFGBBQ!!11").

And now we know why Sylar's picture of 'Nathen' in the Whitehouse looked like it could.. maybe, possible.. be Sylar himself.

All this makes me wonder what they're saving for Series 2. This storyline seems to be on full steam ahead towards it's conclusion.. here's hoping they've got something equally as good for next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

wonder why the haitan was working against the specials, given his helping of claire?

The Haitian was working for Nathan's mother when he helped Claire, who is Nathan's daughter. His loyalties are obviously to mama Petrelli's wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

#Elites wrote:
    i always thought the painting:
    It was this one I was thinking of, Sylar drew it in the last episode (19) after killing Isiac :
    sylarwhitehous.jpg

Wasn't sure at the time whether it was Sylar, or Nathen in a grumpy mood combined with Sylar's dodgy painting skills. It looks sort of half and half, which fits perfectly with what we've now seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

That was sooo good, the sylar nathan twist was amazing, only one more week until the start of the three-parter finale!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

are we going to get the 3 parts as one :D or across three weeks :( ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to echo whats ben said. Stunning episode tht felt like 10 minubtes when watching. Not one bit of filler IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

freekin awesome... best tv i've watched in a long time... maybe i'll post again tomorrow after i've come down from the sheer awesomeness of it.

the sylar twist had to be the best part of the episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Awesome episode :)

Man, Sylar is a right dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm confused.

Alternate timeline: Peter doesn't save Clare. Hiro stabs Sylar. Sylar regenerates using Clare's powers. But then Clare shows up in the future???

I said it to my housemate and he suggested that we were seeing a second timeline where Peter saved Clare but Hiro chickened out of stabbing Sylar so Hiro needed to get to the point where they had a timeline where Peter saves Clare and Sylar is dead. But if they're in that second timeline, then Peter should have Clare's regeneration capabilities, so how does Peter have a scar?

It has all gone very X-men, I was almost expecting someone to say "In a world that hates and fears them".

Sylar looks hot with his new haircut by the way :) I'm getting frustrated that it's just tease after tease with the Peter vs Sylar fights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

What an episode WOW best episode of the series, the finale has a lot to live up to

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Superb episode. The Sylar-as-Nathan reveal was one of the best I've ever seen. Completely got me and, judging by a scan of forums, it got everyone else too.
    But if they're in that second timeline, then Peter should have Clare's regeneration capabilities, so how does Peter have a scar?
    Could he have kept it as a reminder? Is it possible that he chose not to heal himself? It looks cool...

The ending would seem to support your theory - Hiro only got the courage to kill Sylar by teleporting to the future and seeing what it would cost not to do that. So there's a third timeline created from the moment he went back, which is where we'll pick up.

As to not seeing the fight - well they can't spoil us for the finale showdown. As it is, we got more than enough of the two of them using their powers to satisfy me for a week :)

Oh and the latest Heroes comic does a nice little aside into how FuturePeter and FutureNiki met (it's part one of a two-parter).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow. Wow. Just wow.

Peter looked so damn hot in that black coat! I think that shots of him wearing that were my favourite part.

It's all been covered above already, so I won't go over anything more.

Advertisement