Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Protestants feel alienated in Ireland?

Options
  • 25-04-2007 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering do Protestants feel alienated in Ireland? I was brought up in a Protestant background but now feel no affiliation to it. I fail to see why one cannot be Protestant and Irish. Tbh I VERY rarely go to church but I love Irish culture. I spent a large proportion of my formative years in Donegal (Glencolumbkille) and spend many weekends in Dublin. I feel Irish and I a be down in the pub with my Donegal shirt on for the GAA and with my Ireland shirt on for the rugby but I wonder how well I would be received in the event of a united Ireland. Now I am now political or economic expert but in principle I'd love this island to be united.

It seems to me (and I may be wide of the mark) that Protestants are seem as bad. Where I go to church (and I don't even go) doesn't really matter.

My dad was brought up as Church Of Ireland but loved and played football and hurling and also spoke Irish.

I don't know where I stand. I hate the nonsense. I have for a time yearned to move to Dublin but I'd love to learn a bit more. I think I just want the same as what YOU want.

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I attended a mainly Protestant secondary school here in Dublin (although I'm not one myself) and I never got the impression that this was an issue.

However I have heard a lot of young Irish people make jokes about it a mixed company, in a way they probably wouldn't joke about other faiths. For example, pointing out a "Protestant characteristic" as an intended joke.
    I'm not sure if that means that they feel so comfortable with the two traditions that it isn't a serious issue anymore, or that there is a contempt for their religion. I would guess it's the former as opposed to the latter, judging by the people concerned.

Ultimately, if someone abroad asked me if Irish people have indigenous religious divisions on the south of the island, my answer would be 'No. Religion is not a big issue there.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

InFront wrote:
    I attended a mainly Protestant secondary school here in Dublin (although I'm not one myself) and I never got the impression that this was an issue.

However I have heard a lot of young Irish people make jokes about it a mixed company, in a way they probably wouldn't joke about other faiths. For example, pointing out a "Protestant characteristic" as an intended joke.
    I'm not sure if that means that they feel so comfortable with the two traditions that it isn't a serious issue anymore, or that there is a contempt for their religion. I would guess it's the former as opposed to the latter, judging by the people concerned.

Ultimately, if someone abroad asked me if Irish people have indigenous religious divisions on the south of the island, my answer would be 'No. Religion is not a big issue there.'

Agreed definitely, noone I know would consider it an issue in any way. If there was a united Ireland, Republicans might take exception to Unionists and vice versa but for most Southern people that would be because of political reasons rather than sectarian ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have to agree once you cross the border no-one gives a flying Fart , what religon you are.

Possibly in a UI it still may be issue in Ulster as we just have a history of it. But as you would agree with me I'm sure we are getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Try being a divorced English Protestant, then try marrying an Irish Catholic girl in a Catholic church. The poor old Priest had to have holy water sprinkled on him to get over the shock. :D

It's amusing the ignorance of some people towards protestants. I've heard "Do they baptise their young" (No, but we do eat our first born) as well as "Do they take communion" (no, they just lay a bit of bread and a dash of dessert wine to get the crowds in). Some people really believe it is a different religion, rather than just a different form of Christianity.

That aside, amongst the younger generation there is no problem, most people in Ireland I have met seem to have a huge problem with the Catholic church rather than the Anglican one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jigsaw wrote:
    I fail to see why one cannot be Protestant and Irish.
    You're hitting several nails on several heads there, Jigsaw.

Many people think loyalist means Protestant and nationalist means Catholic, but it's not always the case. Consider some of the people nationalists consider to be heros - Wolfe Tone, Robert Emmet, Roger Casement, Douglas Hyde, James Connolly - they were all Protestants.

Conversely, William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) and his parents were Catholic Unionists.

A friend of mine comes from a farming background in Wexford. His family were Protestant going back as far as they can remember. In his last year in secondary he switched from an exclusive Protestant boarding school down south to a comprehensive nearer to home. He always goes on about the how iconography scattered around the school made him feel a little uneasy (i.e. statues of Mary, crucifixes), but he mostly jokes about it.

He's a Nationalist, but is more assertive about his Protestantism that his folks were. I know his folks pretty well, and they are very quiet, decent farming folk, but not really active in their local community and really only mixing within their local Church of Ireland congregation.

I read somewhere that the general attitude of the apolitical Protestants who remained south of the border after 1921 was to keep their heads down (for whatever reason) and I think there's still a wee element of that in Southern Irish Protestant culture today, but I think that's will all change for the better.

I guess that would be an understandable attitude to take considering how DeValera almost tried to spot-weld the Catholic Church to the state in the 1930's.

Again, I think it’s always important to distinguish Protestantism from Unionism, to celebrate your down culture and to respect those of others.

Jigsaw, regarding coming to Dublin, you’d need to have two heads and be pained blue for people to give you a second look here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

50% of my family are Protestant. 50% Catholic. (4/4)

However only my mother and father still keep their faith the rest are lapsed, agnostic or athiest at this stage!

Don't think any of us ever felt alienated, if anyone cracks a nasty "proddy" joke or similar in my presence I generally point out that I am of a protestant family or crack a catholic joke back in their direction. And they usually shutup and get embarassed. Never had an agressive reply in that situation.

We only maintain one tradition tho. an the 12th of July all of the Protestants in the family get together and march the traditional route down the corridor to the sitting room where we play with all the Catholics toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Jigsaw wrote:
    I was just wondering do Protestants feel alienated in Ireland? I was brought up in a Protestant background but now feel no affiliation to it. I fail to see why one cannot be Protestant and Irish. Tbh I VERY rarely go to church but I love Irish culture. I spent a large proportion of my formative years in Donegal (Glencolumbkille) and spend many weekends in Dublin. I feel Irish and I a be down in the pub with my Donegal shirt on for the GAA and with my Ireland shirt on for the rugby but I wonder how well I would be received in the event of a united Ireland. Now I am now political or economic expert but in principle I'd love this island to be united.

It seems to me (and I may be wide of the mark) that Protestants are seem as bad. Where I go to church (and I don't even go) doesn't really matter.

My dad was brought up as Church Of Ireland but loved and played football and hurling and also spoke Irish.

I don't know where I stand. I hate the nonsense. I have for a time yearned to move to Dublin but I'd love to learn a bit more. I think I just want the same as what YOU want.

J

I'm Protestant and have never felt alienated in the South (where I've lived all my life). There have been some strange moments though such as the day the Pope came to to town and all my childhood friends headed off to the Phoenix Park to see him and I wasn't allowed! Also wondering why everyone had dirty faces on Ash Wednesday. Wondering what to do when the rosary is being said at a funeral (why do they say it so fast?).

My wife is Catholic, most of my friends are Catholics (of the usual lapsed variety), we chose to have our daughter baptised CoI but as far as I'm concerned, she can make up her own mind when she's older. This just gives her more options.
    As regards attitudes towards Protestants in the Republic, I think it's a non-issue for the vast majority of the population. There are jokes amongst my friends (both ways might I say) but let's face it, religion is no longer the deal it once was. And that's a good thing imo.

I think if you were to ask my parents generation (back in the good old days when Dev asked Bishop McQuaid what government policy should be) the same question, they might give you a somewhat different answer. It sounded a more repressive society where Protestants tended to band together, intermarry etc.

Our grandparents generation would probably tell an even more different story; remember that a fairly vicious campaign of sectarian murder and forced eviction was practiced in the countryside after 1922 against those perceived as 'Big House' Protestants, i.e. the former ruling class. The Protestant population of the South dropped sharply in that period with many choosing to emigrate to England.

As for Northern Protestants attitudes towards the South, I think they have probably changed rapidly in the last decade or so (especially among the younger generation). They are jealous of our economic success and also enjoy our more relaxed society (the North is still highly respressive in many ways) - hence so many of them are moving here. Will still be generations before the sectarian attitudes on both sides are removed however - the only answer is integrated, non-religious schooling imo. Good luck with that!

there's a long rambling reply for ye now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I was raised a catholic but reject every aspect of it now and its done me more good than harm. I don't think religion is a big issue in Ireland two of my best friends have protestant backgrounds and it just isn't an issue. Despite this I still experience a huge amount of alienation/isolation and it has to do mainly with my lifestyle choices more than anything else. Irish pub culture is the new church/crutch and if you're not in you're not in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I must admit my ignorance but I didn't know any divorced person could remarry in a catholic church. For me religion/lack of is not an issue for me. I get annoyed though when people ask me my religion, not sure why it irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Thanks folks, those are some interesting perspectives. I suppose it makes sense that a lot of these issues are generational. I was warned by someone that there may be prejudice towards me if I moved to Dublin, but then again that was from an older generation and tbh anyone I've met there have been sound. Only positive experiences so far. Any further little anecdotes or points of views would be gratefully received!

• Advertisement

Jigsaw wrote:
    I was warned by someone that there may be prejudice towards me if I moved to Dublin!

yes there will be massive prejudice

but only because you're 'a bleedin' culchie'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Except in a few wierd backwaters I reckon people don't really give a hoot one way or the other, the problems are primarily with the state - its when schooling and medical proceedures enter the mix you see how one faith is clearly favoured over another, in fact any other.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    when schooling and medical proceedures enter the mix you see how one faith is clearly favoured over another, in fact any other.

Mike.

yes, I have to admit I would be a bit freaked to send a child to the local convent/Christian Brothers school (maybe that's just me)

also, hospital faith-based policies are very scary things - especially for women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was raised a catholic but reject every aspect of it now and its done me more good than harm. I don't think religion is a big issue in Ireland two of my best friends have protestant backgrounds and it just isn't an issue. Despite this I still experience a huge amount of alienation/isolation and it has to do mainly with my lifestyle choices more than anything else. Irish pub culture is the new church/crutch and if you're not in you're not in.

just to comment on that, whilst it is not a big issue, you still know they are Protestants. I am used to not knowing my friends religion and only finding out when they are married, have kids baptised or die.

A good friend of mine, who I had known for about 12 years, mentioned one day that he was Catholic. My now wife was surprised that I did not know, we were surprised that she was surprised (If you get what I mean). In Ireland I have found that whilst religion is not an issue, it is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm a Protestant of working class origin, and I ended up in the Republican Movement! As people alluded to, I don't think religious descrimination is really an issue in the 26 Counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Immigration has changed the whole dynamic now too. There are a lot more Protestants in the South now based on immigration from Protestants communities from all over the world coming to Ireland. A lot of it seems to of a more evanagelical type too.

And then of course in the North you have Polish Catholics in the mix too and amny of them joining the police force there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

M&#250 wrote: »
    Immigration has changed the whole dynamic now too. There are a lot more Protestants in the South now based on immigration from Protestants communities from all over the world coming to Ireland. A lot of it seems to of a more evanagelical type too.

And then of course in the North you have Polish Catholics in the mix too and amny of them joining the police force there!

Think your a wee bit of there many are applying and possibly some get in. But its good to see.

just like there needs to be a few Black, Polish and Asian gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

yes there will be massive prejudice

but only because you're 'a bleedin' culchie'!

Roffle.

Jigsaw, I lived in Belfast for a few years from the end of the 90's and I had never even considered the idea of thinking about who was Protestant and Catholic until I moved there from Dublin. I've never really heard of discrimination down here.

Most NI protestants that I know think of themselves as Irish, even if they are politically Unionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

In Ireland I have found that whilst religion is not an issue, it is still there.
    I'd agree with that. Maybe there's not discrimination among the general population, but it's still something that's mentioned, especially at times of weddings and christenings. I know people in my work who worry about how people would react to their religion, so they keep it quiet.

I want to send my kids to non-demonational schools but there is simply no realistic option especially at Primary Level. I find it appauling that state funded schools should be under so much control of the Catholic Church to the extent that in some areas they are even restricting enrolement to Catholics. I would hope that clinical needs are over riding religious belief in our hospitals these days, but it'd be interesting to see what their ethos would suggest if it was, for example, a case of Mother or Baby in our Maternity hospitals.

Speaking as a Catholic who was lucky enough to be brought up in a multi-demonational environment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Declaration of Independence talks about the division between a minority and the majority carefully fostered by an alien government.

At the time, the effects of this were clear throughout Ireland.

With independence, this difference became irrelevant in the Republic, because there was no advantage accruing to being either Protestant or Catholic.

In the North, the differences were still fostered, and the advantages still accrued, so naturally it makes a difference which religion you are.

It honestly gives me the creeps, the way Northerners have to know what religion you are, and the way they ask sneaky little questions - "Where did you go to school?" - "Is there a chapel in your area?" - to find out. Icky.

• Advertisement

luckat wrote:
    It honestly gives me the creeps, the way Northerners have to know what religion you are, and the way they ask sneaky little questions - "Where did you go to school?" - "Is there a chapel in your area?" - to find out. Icky.

lol the ones you know must be amateurs, in my experience they can usually tell just by looking at you...("so are you a Catholic Muslim or a Protestant Muslim?")

it freaks them out a bit to meet Southern Protestants with Catholic names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

The person that I know who has the biggest issue with protestants is Mary-

Speaking on Morning Ireland, Mrs McAleese said of the Nazis: “They gave to their children an irrational hatred of Jews, in the same way that people in Northern Ireland transmitted to their children, an irrational outrageous hatred, for example, of Catholics, in the same way that people give to their children, an irrational outrageous hatred of those who have different colour.”

Have you ever heard her speak, she is such a spoofer, "building bridges.....blah.......*hands in circling motion" .....blah"

She has no real power whatever, she's an ex-lawyer so she knows a bit of garbled rhetoric, that's the sum of all her parts. It's boring if she dissapeared tommorow I wouldn't give one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Aaaaargh!! Just wrote a big mad post there with loads of great points only for a my computer to balls up.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Will save it for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Jigsaw wrote:
    Aaaaargh!! Just wrote a big mad post there with loads of great points only for a my computer to balls up.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Will save it for later.
    Must be one of them protestant computers.

/sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My long-term partner is a Northern Ireland Protestant and she's shocked by the tolerance between Catholics and Protestants down here.

The only problem she finds is that religious people like her parents would be offended by some of the mickey-taking that goes on here. I think it's more of an anti-religious sentiment than bigotry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As a Protestant I definately felt alienated & foreign down here back back in the 80s ~ but not any more .......................

Dunno if its because I am now much older and more thick skinned? or because our RC brothers & sisters have eased-off Catholicism? but nowadays I would give as good as I got, (if a jibe was made) and either way, to be a Protestant in 'Catholic Ireland' back in the 80s was no fun, and you either kept your head down or took the flack and married an RC ~ in which case your Childere were brought up RC anyway ~ you just couldnt win back then ...................

Not any more thankfully :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'm a protestant from south dublin and have rarely felt alienated.
    I lived in Ennis for a while. I saw an Irish flag with the orange part torn off flying outside a shop. The mundanity of it made it seem so acceptable, and I was offended and felt alienated then.

Some feelings of alienation come from what other protestants have said to me - when I was young I was told that catholics have no conscience and are just animals really - which was shocking and not an idea I entertained.

Generally the only peope who have any issue with you being protestant are total idiots, and I don't mind being alienated from total idiots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I doubt you would feel any prejudice at all, I only have met one professing catholic(I know of) under 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I think it has reached a stage where prodestants don't feel alienated. With any insults viewed as a joke (insert retort) or from people not worth considering. The key being; the majority of people in the country realising that religion is not relevent when forming your opinion of a person.

Its positive that most young prodestants today are moving in wider social circles and not just part of a community within a community. My grandfather for example was viewed as a black sheep becasue he played gaelic football while his brothers on the other hand only really interacted with other prodestants (church,school,aggriculture,rugby).

It is probably the case that older generations felt a certain need/want to become clanish and this has resulted in a feeling of alienation for some older prodestants.

In all I think things look positive for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ArthurF wrote:
    As a Protestant I definately felt alienated & foreign down here back back in the 80s ~ but not any more .......................

Dunno if its because I am now much older and more thick skinned? or because our RC brothers & sisters have eased-off Catholicism? but nowadays I would give as good as I got, (if a jibe was made) and either way, to be a Protestant in 'Catholic Ireland' back in the 80s was no fun, and you either kept your head down or took the flack and married an RC ~ in which case your Childere were brought up RC anyway ~ you just couldnt win back then ...................

Not any more thankfully :)

Maybe it was more to do with your British Unionist views rather than your religion?

Advertisement