Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Station Names (was part of Docklands Station opening)

Options
  • 20-03-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭

MarkoP11 wrote:
    River Rd is actually the correct name of Phoenix Park

Is there not a better name to identify the station with its locality? I wouldn't know the area, but River Road certainly doesn't spring anywhere to mind.

Anyway the station seemed to be progresing fairly well when I went through it today.

Is there a general election on the way? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its ment to be called the phoenix park racecourse station due to its location but i dont think they will put all that on the signs.It might be the developer of the apartments across the road that might give it its final name, considering he's paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MarkoP11 wrote:
    River Rd is actually the correct name of Phoenix Park and the much talked about Grange Rd is either Baldoyle (already on the computer PA) or Clongriffen
    The problem with "Grange Road" is that people would actually go to Grange Road looking for it. It would be logical and there is possibly enough demand potential to have one there anyway.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Is there not a better name to identify the station with its locality? I wouldn't know the area, but River Road certainly doesn't spring anywhere to mind.
    Well I imagine locals will know where River Road is.

Dunsink or Elmgreen are just as vague as River Road. Calling it Navan Road would be a misnomer. Calling it Phoenix Park Racecourse would be indicating a racecourse that no longer exists.

This is the section we are talking about http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=dublin&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=53.377159,-6.347008&spn=0.023911,0.086002&om=1 Ashtown Station is at Ashtown Road and Castleknock (formerly Blanchardstown Castleknock) is at Castleknock Road

The name of the apartments that the station will serve is The phoenix park racecourse, there will be a footbridge linking them to the station, hence the name.
    Its not accesible from river road, only the navan road or said houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Victor wrote:
    Well I imagine locals will know where River Road is.

Yeah, but what about people who want to go the area and the "River Road" means nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Zebra3 wrote:
    Yeah, but what about people who want to go the area and the "River Road" means nothing to them.

"Phoenix Park" isn't all that useful as a station name, though. Most people know what it is but will they guess where it is?

• Advertisement

So what do people think it should be called? You can call it what you want cos the people its being built for knows where it is.

And what of the unfortunates who think it will take them to the zoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

cymro: So what do people think it should be called? You can call it what you want cos the people its being built for knows where it is.

As Cowper and many other stops on the Luas demonstrate; station names aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things - especially when the area they serve is ambiguous by name. I wouldn't say naming affects patronage that much. Even though Stillorgan Luas stop is probably one of the most questionably named stops how many people get the Luas to Stillorgan instead of the 46A thinking they go to the same place?

Regarding Heuston's platform 10; do IE operate a shuttle service from the main station to this platform? It seems very far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The is a very interesting discussion. Station naming is very important to relate to the area and community that a transport stop would serve.

Grange Road was originally going to be the location of the 'Grange Road' stop until the actual station location was moved further north to be integrated into the north/south fringe development. Baldoyle is now the name on the hoardings there.

Phoenix Park seems very ambiguous seeing as it is not the nearest station to the park but like a poster noted, it couldn't really be called Phoenix Park Racecourse could it? The original River Road station from PFC was located at River Road so that would seem to be defunct now as a station name.

My major gripe would still be with the station name of High Street. Christchurch would be a lot more distinctive and less 'British' dare I say it. More people know where Christchurch is than High Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Winters wrote:
    My major gripe would still be with the station name of High Street. Christchurch would be a lot more distinctive and less 'British' dare I say it. More people know where Christchurch is than High Street.
    yes, Christchurch is a much better name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Slice wrote:
    Regarding Heuston's platform 10; do IE operate a shuttle service from the main station to this platform? It seems very far away.

Platform 10's main purpose was to maintain the full timetabled service during the rebuilding of Heuston. Since the 3 extra platforms opened (6, 7 & 8) no services are scheduled to use this platform.

To answer the question IE & DB did provide a shuttle service to platform 10. A mixture of dedicated shuttles and the extension of the 91 to Platform 10.

Enterprise.

Winters wrote:

Also, a lot of visitors to the city might assume that getting off at "High Street" was leaving them in O'Connell Street.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Also, a lot of visitors to the city might assume that getting off at "High Street" was leaving them in O'Connell Street.
    Yeah, "Airside" Metro is no longer "Airside".
    KC61 wrote:
    Just to prove that the 91 is alive and well and still operating..... http://p201.ezboard.com/fbustravelirelandfrm30.showMessage?topicID=22.topic
    It that one too many buses? ;)

Winters wrote:

So a combo of two English words that precisely describe the cathedral will be less British than a different two English words that precisely describe the street? Good to know.

mackerski wrote:
    So a combo of two English words that precisely describe the cathedral will be less British than a different two English words that precisely describe the street? Good to know.

Most 'High Streets' in Britain are the main shopping thoroughfares. Our High Street isnt. If fact it is a short street sandwiched between Christchurch Place and Cornmarket. Also the area is more commonly known as Christchurch. The Liberties could also be an option but isnt actually where the station is going. Everyone knows where Christchurch is.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

What service are you referring to? Only train/tram service that I can think of that is going through the Christchurch area is the interconnector, and I thought they decided not to have a stop between Heuston and Stephens Green(a poor decision, imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Always been a stop between Stephen's Green and Heuston, was previously refered to as digital hub

In fact, even before that, originally there were two stops, 'St. Patricks' and 'Watling Street'. Now its down to one underneath High Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

High Street is the name of the street and not the name of the type of street it is (in British terminology) - it would be just as appropriate as Christchurch. Besides; if it were really such a remnant of the Empire then its name would have been changed along with a whole load of other streets and areas such as O'Connell Street or Dun Laoghaire at the turn of independence. I sense an ultra-nationalist in our midst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

there is a st called high st up in christchurch

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    And what of the unfortunates who think it will take them to the zoo?

You check first dont you? if not then they have a nice walk through the park.

Slice wrote:
    As Cowper and many other stops on the Luas demonstrate; station names aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things - especially when the area they serve is ambiguous by name. I wouldn't say naming affects patronage that much. Even though Stillorgan Luas stop is probably one of the most questionably named stops how many people get the Luas to Stillorgan instead of the 46A thinking they go to the same place?

Platform 10 was only built as a temporary one while heuston station was being re-developed. If it needs to be used again then the buses stop there.

Slice wrote:
    High Street is the name of the street and not the name of the type of street it is (in British terminology) - it would be just as appropriate as Christchurch.

I know exactly where High St is but it would not be as an appropriate name as Christchurch. I reckon very few people would know where High St actually is compared witht those who'd know where Christchurch is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Zebra3 wrote:
    I know exactly where High St is but it would not be as an appropriate name as Christchurch. I reckon very few people would know where High St actually is compared witht those who'd know where Christchurch is.
    Yes you are right, I only knew that bit of trivia because I used to live in christchurch, bit you are right.

Um, do the have a site decided yet? Are we being premature?
    dodgyme wrote:
    there is a st called high st up in christchurch
    The one and the same.

When the route for Luas B was announced, the Hilton Hotel went bananas about the line at Charlemont going over their car park access (I imagine it was a planning condition when the hotel was built). Talking to Frank Allen, they changed their tone after and wanted the stop called "Hilton".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Calm down everybody!!!!

The Stop will (probably) be located at high street. Nobody has made a decision yet as to what the stop will be called!!!!
    Normally early in the planning stages of metro's etc., working titles are used for proposed stops. Actual operational names are decided at at a later stage, and we'll all get our opportunity to contribute during the public consultation process.

The danger here is that the working title (High St) will become the operational station name without IE bothering to change it..... Therefore, consultation process is important!!!

My preferred names (in order of preference) for the High St stop is as follows:

1) Christchurch
    2) Cathedrals (Christchurch and St. Patricks)
    3) Cornmarket
    4) Liberties
    5) Dublinia (referring to the historical importance of the area)
    6) High Street

Stop names should be as intuitive as possible for the regular commuter, and visitors!!!!

The Phoenix Park stop shouldn't be called "Phoenix Park"....Far too confusing for visitors!!! "Old Racecourse" would be my first preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Of course let us not forget the geniuses in the RPA called Tallaght Hospital just Hospital and want to call Leopardstown Racecourse just Racecourse

There is a fairly obvious site for the station if you go up and have a look and Christchurch makes the most sense on grounds of accuracy its also unique

Skyhater wrote:
    "Old Racecourse" would be my first preference.

I can't think of a crappier name. Why would you name a stop after what used to be there? How is that useful to people who can't remember the racecourse (it hasn't been one for at least 10 years, so between blow-ins and people under 25 you're really setting things up for confusion). You might just as sensibly have city-centre metro or interconnector stations called "Hoggen Green" or "Thingmount".

This is the same logic that leads the AA to refer to as "Scott's Rondabout" the structure actually signed as "Blanchardstown Roundabout" simply because the now cul-de-sac nearby used to be the main road and has a restaurant on it that used to be called Scott's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

mackerski wrote:
    I can't think of a crappier name.

Well Give me a better one...... Positive Criticism is always welcome!!!

The new station is serving a development called "Phoenix Park Racecourse"....... and i definitely think "Phoenix Park" is a misleading name!!!
    Other ideas could be,
    "Dunsink Observatory", "Castleknock East", or "Ashtown West"????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Of course let us not forget the geniuses in the RPA called Tallaght Hospital just Hospital and want to call Leopardstown Racecourse just Racecourse

Then they'll probaby just call this one Church.

Cathedral has a nice ring to it. (NOT intentionally a pun on the bells :D )

Advertisement