Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90si stopped working. Repair or replace?

Options
  • 12-03-2007 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Our Triton T90si shower is 9 years old. It gets used twice a day. I've had it repaired once in the past. A switch needed replacing.

The technician that fixed it the last time claimed that their life span is about 8 to 10 years.

I'm wondering now if I should get it replaced or repaired. The callout charge was around 65 Euro a couple of years ago. The cost of parts are on top of that.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

It would cost 450 euro for a new one supplied and fitted.
    Can't say how much a repair job would be as no idea whats broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

It's probably the brushes in the motor, that are worn out. I get about 4 years out of a set, at my rate of use. Earthridge, in Maynooth, are the agents. They sell the brushes for about 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

The shower was causing the trip switch to trip. When I tried to pop back the trip switch it went again. I figured that water was coming in contact with the electrics.

The repair guy from Triton came to the house and said that they no longer support them. It's a Triton T90I. They stopped making the model in 99 and stopped supporting them last year.

It looks like I'll have to replace it.

Thanks for the posts.

I noticed the cord switch for the electric shower seemed jammed. When I pulled it I couldn't switch it on and off. The red light was staying on but I couldn't switch it off.

I opened it up and the live wire plastic cover is burned and some of the wire is exposed. It must have burned at a very high temperature as it burned through the earth wire. It's in two pieces.

Any idea what might have caused this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Arcing across the contacts. This is likely to be the problem with tripping, might be worth replacing this switch. This fault would have been caused by using the switch under load. Mabye the swithc was not up to the load of the shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I replaced my T90i with the T90si and have the old one out in shed if you need parts...The only thing which was wrong with it was it wouldnt heat the water any more. It got tepid if you were lucky on a hot day...

So your welcome to it if your in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

I had the exact same problem. Did your shower also alternate between hot and cold sometimes for a couple of seconds?

I just bought a new one and replaced it myself....it really only requires the connection of a few wires and a pipe...buy a new shower and try it yourself....you may be surprised, and it will save you money. The reason our shower stopped working is from overuse....I like to use the shower as a relaxation area

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm not certain that the shower needs replacing yet. The cables in the cord switch (not sure what the proper name for this is) are burned.

dingding, the switch has been working for seven or eight years. We never switched it off but it did work. Could it be the case that it has worn over time causing arcing? I was going to replace the switch first and see if it works. If it trips straight away then the problem is with the shower and I'll probably just replace it.

By the way, it was working perfectly up to the point of failure. It was heating the water fine. No hot and cold behaviour nikolaitr. I believe this can happen with limescale builds up in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Dopey, those switches can burn out over time. The connections at the back particularly if they are the "1 screw" type often dont connect well enough with the cable for the load being carried. This causes some overheating which loosen the screw even more and in turn causes even more overheating to the point that the cables will be burnt.

It is possible that the arcing is across the cables in the switch. In any case, even if you're replacing the shower, you're going to need a new switch so it makes total sense to replace this first before doing anything with the shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If its as old as you say it is, you might be better off replacing.

Would they really cost 450?

I recently replaced a T80i with a T80xr for 180. Took me an hour to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I got mine(T90si) from a mate at cost for €200,remember its better to go with same make because the pipes will be on the right side making it easier to replace.

I replaced the cord switch and the shower is working again. :D

Hopefully I'll get another year out of it before it breaks down. Thanks for the posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We got rid of ours years ago after having it repaired 4 or 5 times over about 6or so years. Apparently it had a vital switch made of plastic which just snapped off, or so the repair man told us. Don't know if that was/is your problem.

Dopey wrote:

Hopefully I'll get another year out of it before it breaks down. Thanks for the posts!

Well Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Lex,
    Just to let you know, The Triton T80i is a regular electric shower, connected to mains water feed. These are usually about e180 - e200 cos they don't have a built in pump. The T90 is tank fed and has a pump to build up the pressure, they would usually retail about e280. Having said that, e450 would seem steep for supply and fit, its less than an hours work for a half competent DIYr! Hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mattie

Dopey wrote:

Where is the most competitive prices, in Dublin, for Triton T90si shower?

M.
    lennonaspect@iol.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Dopey wrote:

Well done. Make sure your connections are good 'n tight to avoid this reoccurring. Don't like putting the scare on you but, if the cable insulation was burnt then the cable itself maybe damaged and may need replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dolphin Sligo

We live in a hard water area. Finally, the Triton T90si gave up the ghost. The water tank (heating unit) started to leak and the water sprays onto the electrics causing it to trip the breaker. The only solution is to replace the whole unit. I guess we didn’t do too bad, getting 8 years out of the unit. However, we have a second Triton in the guest bedroom, which does not get anything like the same use as the unit upstairs. But it too has the same problem and gave up a week after the first. Therefore, that means having to replace two units………not very nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Disaster Dolphin. Still, 8 years isn't bad..

Have you considered one of those softners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

we sell triton showers where i work and we've one t 90 left. they have a newer model now that fits inplace of the old one but is slightly slimmer and comes in a chrome finish aswell as the usual white. should be able to get a direct replacement easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Anyone got a service manual for one of these?

I've got 2, one works one doesn't, I've traced the power in the broken one and it doesn't seem to travel through the on switch.. so I'm thinking this is my problem.

I've got to check it with my working one, but the service manual would be handy none the less.

tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 declanmul

Was looking through the posts and have had the same problem as some of the previous posts, being that the temperature would flick from cold to scalding and then was fine. Current problem is that it never gets hot enough and it is constantly luke warm with pressure having decreased a little. Do you think I need to replace it and if so with what? Thanks... Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrinkDink

Yeah, our triton t90si has been performing at a crap level for a few years now... its a trickle in terms of pressure, just about doable right now, not in the colder months. how would i find out what our kilowatt value is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

Our shower is a tritron T90si. It is leaking from the shower head when it is turned off, been leaking all night. How do I fix it? Does it need replacing or is there a part I can replace? Is it something like http://www.fixed4free.com/answers.php?id=74542 ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

dingding wrote: »
    Arcing across the contacts. This is likely to be the problem with tripping, might be worth replacing this switch. This fault would have been caused by using the switch under load. Mabye the swithc was not up to the load of the shower.
    This seems to be a fairly common problem.. my mother's shower trips out if you stay too long in the shower, but a standard cooker switch is used on that one. I've been meaning to take a look at it, and if necessary, tighten any loose wires and replace the switch itself.

As for the Triton T90.. my one is still going great, and its over 11 years old now. No hassle with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Starryeyd

use to sell Triton T90i's in an electricl shop i worked in, if it's still going after about 8 years your doing well! they don't make 'em like they use to as my nan says!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 murphno

Hi All

I have a Triton T90si in my en suite and has been working fine for the last 14 months then out of the blue it has started making a large humming noise and the water has gone RED HOT!!:mad: Can any tell what maybe causing this!!!
    :(

Regards

Noel

Sounds like its not getting sufficient water. Did the tank run dry lately? if so it's probably airlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

How are the brushes replaced in a Triton T90 SI

Advertisement