Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does driving on your own with first provisional void your insurance

Options
  • 19-02-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I am driving for the last 8 months, and this has always been with a fully licensed driver.

I am a very competent driver and I want to start driving on my own.

The law doesn't scare me, but if I crash, will my insurance be voided (can't claim from my insurance due to me being on my own)

I have seen loads of people who drive on their own on first provisional licenses.

Surely they wouldn't do this if there insurance would be voided

really need genuine answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

swingking wrote:
    if I crash, will my insurance be voided (can't claim from my insurance due to me being on my own)

Surely they wouldn't do this if there insurance would be voided
    Third party claims would have to be honoured. I'm not sure about your own claims.
    swingking wrote:
    I am a very competent driver
    That's a very cavalier attitude for someone who is only driving for 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Really? I was driving on my own 2 weeks after my Lessions. (Cos no one in my family can drive)

NeVeR wrote:
    Really? I was driving on my own 2 weeks after my Lessions. (Cos no one in my family can drive)
    I have been driving for over 20 years, have a full licence in all 15 categories, was never involved in an accident (that was my fault), have never had an insurance claim claim, yet, I would only consider myself to be an average driver. I make mistakes. I could kill someone else or kill myself today.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

When I was in a similar situation 7 years ago, I was told by the broker that the claim will be honoured, but it'll screw you over at renewal time.

Is it a points offence these days? I haven't looked over the ones that were introduced recently.

The competent driver thing, good luck with that, it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, you'll always come across some twit who can't even keep on their own side of the road if you go for drives longer then 5 minutes. Other drivers cannot be trusted. Except me of course I'm a rather excellent driver;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

NeVeR wrote:
    Really? I was driving on my own 2 weeks after my Lessons. (Cos no one in my family can drive)
    It does necessarily mean that you were good at it. Maybe you were.
    swingking wrote:
    The law doesn't scare me
    Nice attitude. I wonder if a Garda could do you for driving without insurance if you were driving on your own. IMO, driving alone would be in violation of the insurance policy (and the law), thus invalidating it, therefore you could be considered to be driving without insurance.
    swingking wrote:
    really need genuine answers
    Ask your insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I've driven for a year unaccompanied on my first provisional, met the Gardaí at checkpoints several times and they don't even mind that I don't wear L plates, so you're okay for the moment, just apply for the test asap if you haven't already.
    Doesn't necessarily make it untrue.

As regards third party, I made the enquiry with my insurer and they told me that being unaccompanied or not would not be looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

the point I was making is that I am competent enough to drive on my own without a full licence driver.

I don't consider myself a brilliant driver, in fact I am average, but good enough and confident enough to drive without a full license driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

swingking wrote:
    I don't consider myself a brilliant driver, in fact I am average, but good enough and confident enough to drive without a full license driver

Obviously not if you pick and choose what rules of the road apply to you.....any others that you feel you don't need to obey?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Its v. easy for a fully licenced driver to jump on his high horse and make statements like that, furtzy. the fact is that there is a huge delay in getting tests leaving some 300,000 learner drivers on our roads, waiting for a test, desperate for a test to drive on their own, to work, to the shops, to do the basic things you need a car for in this **** crazy country. It isnt about picking and choosing which rules apply, its a matter of not being able to wait that long (over a year from application to test in many test centres) and needing to have access to a car, even when there isnt a fully licenced driver present.

• Advertisement

the fact is that there is a huge delay in getting tests leaving some 300,000 learner drivers on our roads, waiting for a test, desperate for a test
    There are 127,000 waiting for a test but 430,000 on provisional licences! What's the problem with the other 300,000?

Its v. easy for a fully licenced driver to jump on his high horse and make statements like that, furtzy. the fact is that there is a huge delay in getting tests leaving some 300,000 learner drivers on our roads, waiting for a test, desperate for a test to drive on their own, to work, to the shops, to do the basic things you need a car for in this **** crazy country. It isnt about picking and choosing which rules apply, its a matter of not being able to wait that long (over a year from application to test in many test centres) and needing to have access to a car, even when there isnt a fully licenced driver present.

His attitude stinks. Statements like "the law doesn't scare me". What a prat.
    Loads of things about driving are frustrating but unfortunately the rules are there for a reason. I don't like when I'm stuck in traffic beside an empty 24 hour bus lane...still don't drive in it though. For someone who has only been driving 8 months to come out with statements like that only show up their immaturity and state the case for being accompanied.

When he said "The law doesnt scare me" he was only referring to the one particular law regarding learner drivers not being able to drive on their own. But what you are saying is "if a learner driver questions this law, then in questioning it they are revealing how **** they are at driving because a lowly learner cant possibly control a car in a mature and decent manner, therefore, for a learner driver to assume such means that he is a bad driver." So what we are actually dealing with are your assumptions that all learner drivers arent competent to drive on their own, and if they say that they are competent to drive on their own, but dont have the piece of paper to prove it, then they must be immature, stupid learner drivers. Thats just one big ball of fallacy you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I know when I had a provisional the insurance company said that it wasn't a requirement by them for me to drive accompanied. After 8 months, I agree, time to start doing some driving on your own.

Didnt elton John write a song about you?

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza,
    Count the headlights on the highway?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭omega man

swingking wrote:
    the point I was making is that I am competent enough to drive on my own without a full licence driver.

You can not make that decision. That is why you have to pass a test to aquire a full license and earn the privilage of driving alone legally. Wouldnt it be great if we could all make that judgement and not require a test......

But what you are saying is "if a learner driver questions this law, then in questioning it they are revealing how **** they are at driving because a lowly learner cant possibly control a car in a mature and decent manner, therefore, for a learner driver to assume such means that he is a bad driver." So what we are actually dealing with are your assumptions that all learner drivers arent competent to drive on their own, and if they say that they are competent to drive on their own, but dont have the piece of paper to prove it, then they must be immature, stupid learner drivers. Thats just one big ball of fallacy you have there.

The driving test decides on whether they are competent not me and not the driver. This is just the usual bullsh*t attitude thats prominent on the road whether its getting the NCT done or displaying L plates etc etc etc. The "piece of paper" you refer to is a certificate of competency but if you or the OP think that you don't need this "piece of paper" then thats the immaturity and stupidty I was refering to before

Well Im not calling into question your ability to continue a retarded circular argument in the exact same circle without seeing anyone elses point or seeing why their argument is one big fallacy, but I also never said what status of driver I am or tell you any of my road habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Now I realise why I don't read C&T so much anymore. This was an enquiry about insurance.

No one cares, furtzy.

If the OP believes himself to be fit for the road alone, then the OP will drive unaccompanied - he's not going to decide not to because of what YOU say...

Why don't you lecture the countless boy racers and L drivers who hit the road the day they turn 17, unaccompanied, barely fit to drive, speed to their hearts content and put the rest of us at risk? See how much they care what you think. At least the OP has sought advice on the matter before doing so.
    furtzy wrote:
    His attitude stinks. Statements like "the law doesn't scare me". What a prat.
    Loads of things about driving are frustrating but unfortunately the rules are there for a reason.

So the OP should, while countless other provisionals are happily driving on the road alone, wait his turn to take the BS test that has a huge failure rate and that he's not guaranteed to pass, before driving alone even if he's perfectly capable of doing so and won't be prosecuted?

And then if he fails, walk for another year? What kind of logic is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Every single time I got into a car, turned on the engine and drove away. I have had an accompanied driver beside me. I have always obeyed the law. Get down from your high horse full license drivers.:mad:

Sure some of the full license drivers that have been driving today bought their licenses, when there was backlog 20 years ago.

I had to cancel my test, due to medical reasons, and now I am at the back of the queue.

When I said the law doesn't scare me, I didn't mean every single fooking law, I meant the law regarding being accompanied with full license drivers.

How many of you can say that they were always accompanied during the time they had a 1st provisional. Not many? Thought so?

As things stand I have not broken the law. I have insurance, tax and I drive accompanied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Didnt elton John write a song about you?

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza,
    Count the headlights on the highway?" :)
    ????

md99 wrote:
    So the OP should, while countless other provisionals are happily driving on the road alone, wait his turn to take the BS test that has a huge failure rate and that he's not guaranteed to pass, before driving alone even if he's perfectly capable of doing so and won't be prosecuted?

What a f**kin statement......not even worth commenting on

And yet you did.....

swingking wrote:
    Every single time I got into a car, turned on the engine and drove away. I have had an accompanied driver beside me. [/b]

Glad to hear it.

lol, pot calling the kettle black if you ask me!

Tony Danza wrote:
    ????
    Sorry a kissthisguy joke.

And yet you did.....

Pure comedy gold........:rolleyes:

Not as funny as your attempt at forming a decent argument.
    Thank god for rolleyes and high horses or you would have nothing to post at all!

• Advertisement

Not as funny as your attempt at forming a decent argument.
    Thank god for rolleyes and high horses or you would have nothing to post at all!

Pass the test....get the licence problem solved. Simple really...no real need to argue

Advertisement