Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DNS servers having trouble?

Options
  • 13-01-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is having problems today with Eircom? Getting alot of timeouts from difirent websites. Wondering if its a DNS problem.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have the same problem also, I cannot access Gmail and I would doubt its down, BBC news doesnt work either, pinging shows request time out for these sites, glad I'm not the only one having this problem :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shepherd

me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, same too!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tracerts are dieng at 83.71.112.*

They are Eircom IPs, wonder whats up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You guys maybe using eircoms old 159.134 DNS servers? They changed months ago to

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Something bad is definitely going on......and I verified the DNS settings in my router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shahakran

Been having the same probs all morning too. :mad:

Can get to Yahoo! and some other sites but most sites I can't connect to (Gmail included - which is working fine, a friend not using Eircom confirmed)

At least not just me. Been resetting router and running tracert / ping to figure out whether the problem was at my end or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Saruman wrote:
    You guys maybe using eircoms old 159.134 DNS servers? They changed months ago to

Just a thought.
    nah thats not right i'm on 213.94.190.194 and i can't get half the normal websites, very perculiar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Yeah im using new Eircom DNS. But they are having problems, I swapped over too Open DNS for the moment and everything is working.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

having the same problem here too.. some sites fine - some working occaisionally - some permanantly down DNS is right on me router:
    on the phone to them at the mo just in case no ones reported it yet
    I'm in the blanch/clonee area btw ..wonder if its a local problem??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

might ring them aswell, more complaints might speed them up, i'm also in blanch area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DaSilva wrote:
    Yeah im using new Eircom DNS. But they are having problems, I swapped over too Open DNS for the moment and everything is working.
    using this now - its working , for now (although theres still speed probs , even afte pages are resolved?? they might be having a few probs..)
    30 mins on hold so far.. oh and looking at the other threads esat and IBB had similar probs too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

DaSilva wrote:

DaSilva, thanks so much for the tip about opendns, works really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Same problem here in Navan. North-West Dublin area type of issue maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Wow this is strange.. lots of ppl incl me are having trouble with irish broadbands dns servers too.. websites timing out etc.. i changed to opendns and everything is perfect.. i would even say all websites load faster especially this one :0

So ya is this a coincidence or no? i think not.. what are the ods of two totally different dns servers messing up at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Open DNS did the business for me too. Thanks DaSilva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I had the problem too this morning. It's fine again though at least from where I am sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I tried open DNS a few mins ago,while I could get websites no problem,I couldn't get my Gmail in Outlook - although Hotmail and eircom were OK :confused:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

Yeah, same problem happening here, just switched to open dns now everythings working okay. Why would this happen though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Why would this happen though?

Main reasons that would stand out for me, why an individual ISP's DNS Servers couldnt work would be either internal routing on their network, loss of power to wherever the DNS Servers are hosted or a DOS attack on the servers.

Reason for both IBB and Eircom DNS would go down could be a loss of service at a common point in their routing, a peering company, coincidence or aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I'm having the same damn problem. Cannot access gmail, yahoo, and a host of other sites. I tried ringing broadband support but gave up after 45 minutes on hold.

I also found out yesterday that my eircom email address had not delivered a single email I had sent to any @phantom.ie email address since Monday.

I am very annoyed right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Sorry, what is open DNS?

Current Status:

hub17.newgrove.ie>tracert www.google.ie

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [209.85.135.103]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms hub17.newgrove.ie [10.222.1.17]
    2 51 ms 45 ms 67 ms b-ras1.prp.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.26]
    3 11 ms 10 ms 9 ms 83.71.112.62
    4 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms 83.71.112.202
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Since I have changed to Open DNS a short time ago, things are going much better. It was Sh*tty all morning up to then and boards.ie come up faster

BTW, eircom.net doesn't appear to be up

jleavy wrote:
    Sorry, what is open DNS?

Check out their website - http://www.opendns.com/

Has anyone gotten through to Eircom about this? 45 minutes is a ridicules amount of time to be left on hold. Are they picking up the phone for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm still having problems with Eircom, but it looks like a routing issue rather than a DNS issue.

Gerard, by all means call Eircom, but this is clearly a widespread issue that the support guy you eventually get won't be able to help you with. Also, those emails should at least be bounced at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

h2s wrote:
    Check out their website - http://www.opendns.com/

Hi,
    OK, updated the hub and the default gateway with the settings, however a tracert to Google is still the same & I'm unable to access it.

(Also, I'm not able to get internal sites anymore - but i know why)

Zab wrote:
    I'm still having problems with Eircom, but it looks like a routing issue rather than a DNS issue.

Gerard, by all means call Eircom, but this is clearly a widespread issue that the support guy you eventually get won't be able to help you with. Also, those emails should at least be bounced at some stage.

Well they haven't been. They just disappeared with a trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I just noticed you said since Monday. I doubt your mail problem is connected to the topic of this thread.

Do you use Eircom webmail or POP? Is this just the mails to @phantom.ie? I know they at least used to be on hosting365, so this may not be Eircom's problem at all.

• Advertisement

jleavy wrote:
    Hi,
    OK, updated the hub and the default gateway with the settings, however a tracert to Google is still the same & I'm unable to access it.

(Also, I'm not able to get internal sites anymore - but i know why)

Yes there is strange stuff going on today. Google is presenting a bit of a problem. I pinged a few locations and google can up as unreachable, however a few seconds later I was on the google.ie home page. Other sites such as the BBC, wikipedia, snapfiles, etc are zipping along nicely. The eircom.net seems to be up again.

Advertisement