Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPC player Review Thread.

Options
  • 08-01-2007 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

So I recall after previous big tournies that there was a thread started here on which people wrote their experiences etc etc. So I said id get the ball rolling and I hope that the many others who played will also add their thoughts.

First off this was my first time to play this tournament structure and I was keen to play for a number of reasons. The obvious one being the structure and the other key reason being that since I have qualified to the Irish Open in April I wanted to make sure I had some type of experience of playing this structure. So I went to the Red Cow on Monday night and qualified in the Freezeout or was that a Mega Satellite then??

At the start of play I set myself my first goal…… and that was to make day 2.. Its not a sprint and you cant win it on day one. Using the mantra that you can only play one day at a time I begun to play. I missed my first hand as I was in the bar having a chat with KarlH and Rounders123…. Making my way to table Kerry, seat 3 I see that I have Phil “Bad Beat” Harris to my right – not a problem really – id much rather he was on my right than my left and Id have no problem handling him from this position. Down in Seat 7 was NicNicNic and I also decided that this wasn’t really an issue as he was far enough away that we would only tangle if we had the goods. In seat 9 was some obnoxious prick who apparently won a WSOP bracelet a couple of years ago – Laurence Sumthin.

So I win my first hand when I call a bet with second pair from what transpired to be a loose fish with a busted flush draw. This guy was to prove the focal point of the table for some time as he turned his stack into 30k within a couple of hours and like a magician turned it back into 0k after another couple of hours. He called his way out of the tournament. He is a yank who works for Full Tilt here in Dublin and I recall playing with him in the SE once at an EPM qualifier where he did the same thing.

I took a knock early in the game that was to A) dent my stack both directly and indirectly, and B) My confidence. The hand is discussed http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037072 , im not particularly happy with how I played it but Im not quite sure about how my opponent played it also. If NicNicNic reads this and writes his report id appreciate if he could give his thought on how the hand played out. After this hand I went for a walk and some Red Bull, came back to the table and donked off c.3.5k of my stack with 2 pair and a house in which one of the hands NicNicNic had a poker of aces. To be fair to Nicky he knew I was steaming after the KKK hand and despite making the bet he tried his best to get me to lay down and not call the bet – this was very fair of him. I was just too steamed to lay it down.

Right so Im playing Ninja Poker now and trying to build my stack, get it up to 7k, Phil Harris goes all in with KK and his last 1550 in chips and I call with QQ. I hit a Q on the flop but Phil gets runner runner for a straight and Im still nursing my stack. I got AA, QQ and KK a few times over the next few hours but 3 times when holding those hands it was folded into me on the button, SB and BB respectively. Another time I had AA I put in the standard raise and was called by the Full Tilt Yank who folded to my continuation bet on the flop. So despite these hands they didn’t contribute to my stack in any major way.

Nothing significant happened over the course of the evening but I did Ninja myself to a stack at the close of play of 14,900. Terry McDaid who was to go on and finish 4th was Button to my BB and I think I can thank him for getting my stack back up to the close of day total. I quickly realised that mid pocket pair + and any two broadway cards was in his raising range and took advantage of this by snapping off his raises. Whilst he liked to raise he would also lay down with similar frequency if he believed he was dominated and Ace/rag or the perception that I had Ace/rag was enough to take it down for me preflop. Late in the day Scott Byron who was to go on to finish 2nd was moved to be BB to my button and to be fair he quickly impressed me with his play. When I was knocked out I watched him quite a bit when doing a bit of reporting for AntesUp and his best attribute was deffo getting paid on his hands, something I really need to work on. I wasn’t entirely comfortable raising into his BB either.

My first goal has been completed – I have made it to day 2 along with 129 of the 310 starting field. I am happy with this and immediately set myself goal number 2… I realise that there are a considerable amount of shortstacks in play and consequently the first couple of hours of play on day two are going to be potentially extremely volatile…… Goal 2 – survive the first two levels of Day two and reassess my position at this stage.

From what I recall I won my first hand of day two – it wasn’t a significant one but at least it was a nice start to the day and gave me some confidence. I add a few k to my stack but take a knock back down to 10k when I run two pair into Terry McDaids set of 8’s – I could have went broke there and then but thankfully I got away from it and was happy with myself that I did. A few hands later Im in the BB and look down at JJ, after a MP raiser I jamm it all in, he quickly calls and I am delighted to see my JJ dominating his 99. After another couple of hands im up to 27k and just slightly below average. I get moved table, stay out of trouble while Neill Kelly at the far end of the table doesnt. He moves all in for his final 7k on my SB and I look down at AQ and oblige with a call. He has K3 and hits his King, and im down nursing a depleted stack again… This pissed me off a bit, I win this hand and Im above average for the first time since the first hour of play, I lose and im playing Ninja poker again.

I prick about for a while until my exit hand which I am very disappointed about. Im in MP with A9, this is the first Ace ive seen for a while, Stuey (the guy who final tabled) limps UTG + 1. I have 19k, there is now something like 5k in the middle and I feel if I take this I can increase by stack by nearly 25% and decide to push.. The minute I do this I regret it Why not put half my stack in the middle I think? Not sure if this line of thinking was correct but that’s what I was thinking anyway. Folded around to Stuey who after pricking around with his chips for a while calls with 99… Damn it… I have one overcard. The flop of 10 J Q gives me great hope but there was no more and that was all she wrote. I did complete goal 2 but goal 3 of a cash wasn’t to be.

I look to the tournament clock and see that I have exited in 67th…. Yeah im happy with that but as always im a bit disappointed also. I had no need to push with A9 and could have folded as easily as I pushed… why didn’t I do the former??

I enjoyed the game and felt I gave it a fair crack. I feel 67th was respectable in a field of 310. I want to try and get another one like this under the belt before the Irish Open and and look forward to that also. I really want to improve my game before then though.

There was a great atmosphere in Citywest and I met a number of the boards posters. I watched Flipper play HU with Badger in a STT and I have to say it was worth hanging around to watch him.. I wouldn’t mind watching him again. I watched PillowTalk quite a bit after I met with my end and yet again he failed to get the rub of the green late in a big tournament… FWIW imo it wont be long before Eoin takes down a big tourney like this. I know he has it in his blog as his ambition for the year to final table a major tourney – on the evidence of this weekend I should think that this will be a formality.

On a side not I want to play tag team poker with Roy Brindley – il give him 4 hours in a tourney like this to quadruple the stack before I step in to take it the rest of the way.

Wp all, I look forward to reading other peoples reports.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I took a knock early in the game that was to A) dent my stack both directly and indirectly, and B) My confidence. The hand is discussed http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037072 , im not particularly happy with how I played it but Im not quite sure about how my opponent played it also. If NicNicNic reads this and writes his report id appreciate if he could give his thought on how the hand played out..

it was a horrible hand and i felt for u there, wtf was the guy at calling your reraise on the turn, unreal. As for how you played it I can see why you checked the flop against this guy, might put in a weak bet on the flop hoping he reopens which was very possible but also understand your play. Just a nasty hand which would tilt anyone.

As for my report,had a very uneventful first 90mins until i hit Quad As and some banker:) bet the flop and turn and then called my river bet.

Had starting stack at the brake and into level six . Now there were two players at the table who were playing and over betting many pots, that beauty in the kkk hand with bcb and a guy from Derry who fancied himself as a raising machine.(think he ended up finishing forth, spoke to him a good few times over the next two days and he is a genuine guy off the table but the "good call" incident with smurp is disgusting).

I had the guy down as a bad aggressive player who over-bet a lot of pots and was in a huge amount of pots. Looking back he hadn't been that bad, but like the American Muppet in the BCB KKK hand had been well over 30k but was dropping chips now and had just bluffed off over 7k to me betting three streets on a KKQ10 board when i held K10. I felt his remaining 15k were gonna go soon and i wanted them having watched the other guy donk 30k and getting none.

the hand i went out on is really bad and i mean really bad and if i posted it for hand discussion I'd be slaughtered here but here goes. I limp with AsJs :rolleyes: blinds 150/300 with 25ante, target raises to 1k one of the blinds call and I call flop is J 8 rag rainbow. I check and he bets 2.5k blind folds I give it a bit decide on a re to six and a fold if he comes back, well he comes back over the top and i brain-fart instacall, he has kk there's not much to be said about it but its just not good enough for this level of a tournament(although i could still been ahead of some of his push range i think).

I wasn't that pissed after i went out, but the €750 the next night brought home how bad it was. I basically saw off over 80% of the field with no card and no chips at any stage. From level 6 to 12 I stayed in on an ultra aggressive strong table without showing a hand and I go out in a hand for 1.5 times the average and a real chance with 28 left. It just showed what could of been done with the 17k i donked off in level 6 of the ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

Nice reading BCB. I will hazzard a go at the key moments for me.

Like yourself, this was the first time I played an event at this level. Although I won a ticket for the €3k game last year in Citywest, I felt my game wasn't good enough at that time so I sold the ticket. I probably should have played for the experience in hindsight as I think it would have stood to me at the weekend. I've been building my confidence and game over the last few months and whilst I feel I still have a lot to learn (I'm playing approx 2 years now), I think I am going the right way. This too was a preparation for the Irish Open later this year which I am happy to say I won into for $24 on PPP.

I sat down at Table Longford and for the first time in a long time I was at a table where I didn't know one player, challenge #1.

First hand is folded to me in late position with AJo. I make it 150 to play. CO re-pops to 500. Folded back to me and I think for a minute or two and fold face up. He shows KK. Nice start, happy with my fold and the fact that he shows.

Anyway 3 hands in and I find KK. Its folded to me and I make it 300 to play. Folded to SB who flat calls. Its just two of us and the flop is 966. He checks I bet 700 with my overpair, he flat calls. Turn is a blank. He checks I bet 1200, he flat calls. "WTF has he got I'm thinking ? he's either made his set or he's got smaller pair". River is a Ten, he checks again and I slow down and check it. He had pockets tens and filled the house on the river. This was a chunky pot which knocked me back after only three hands in the ME. I was unlucky. I went for a walk about to get it out of my head.

I sat back at the table and worked my stack back to about 8k and then I took another hit when Nick Slade seemed to take a liking to my raises. Every time I raised it he flat called out of position. I make it 4x with JJ and he calls with 78o and plays with me to the river to fill his straight. Down to 5k again. Nick is a good player but I reckoned I knew what he was at and I started to adjust to his play. I played back at him a few times winning a few hands and eventually we stayed out of each others way. About 30 minutes or so later I find KK on Button. UTG had made it 400, folded to me and I re-pop it to 1200. UTG thinks for a while and pushes his stack (8.5k or so). I call my remaining 5k and he shows AK. My KK holds up and now I'm back in the game.

Just before our table was broken up that night I had built my stack up to 18k and Nick had blown up and donked a 26k chip lead down to 4k. I got moved to table carlow where there was some crazy All-in poker going on. I didn't mind as it gave me the opportunity to steal and I ended up on just over 20k for the night after a few won/lost pots. Dermott Jacob was at my table and he final tabled finishing 9th. What a funny guy, I could write up a report on him alone. His plays would make great TV.

Like BCB, my objective was to stay clear of trouble and see my way into Day 2. I had outlasted 180 runners so that for me was a good days work.

Day 2
    I hadn't played a hand for the first 30 minutes and I find AA on the button. Its folded to me and I make it 2400 to play which I felt was a small enough raise (considering the running ante's and blinds 100/400/800) to price in the BB. He folded and I took down the blinds. I guess it was obvious I had a monster given the fact that I hadn't played a hand :o

One problem with my game currently is "over-playing" big hands. I found myself with AA and KK on a few occasions recently (not just the IPC) where there are raises into me and my re-raises are scaring people off. I reckon I'm getting action maybe 50% of the time. Any comments on this ? Should I be flat calling more ?

immediately to my right there was a serial raiser. Every time it was folded to him he popped it no matter what. He had his 2k raises snapped off a few times and he eventually ended up in 'ninja' territory with a 10k stack. After observing for long enough I look down at AQo. Its folded to him and he pushes for 10k. I truely believe I'm ahead of his range and I push my 18.5k stack to isolate and go HU with him.

He turns over two red deuces. The Flop is all hearts with an Ace. The turn is a Queen, happy days. The river is a J of hearts:eek: giving him a flush with his 2h. How sick is that.

I don't tilt too easily but that set me over the edge. I still had 8.5 or 10BBS but to me it might as well have been 2 big blinds with the running antes e.t.c. I should have walked away to clear my head but I didn't want to miss a hand with my stack in such bad shape. Next hand I look down at 9sTs and I ship my last 8.5k. It looked like it was getting through until the SB called with AQ. The flopped missed both of us and the A-high won. Lights out. Finished in the last 100 out of 310 runners - not great but a step in the right direction.

In hindsight I think I could have nursed my way back into the game with 8.5k. I guess this is why playing these events is such valuable experience and why I will make it my point to continue playing bigger events.

I would like to say very well done to Smurph and Stuart for their fantastic performances and of course to Pokerevents for another top class event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

PiperT wrote:
    immediately to my right there was a serial raiser. Every time it was folded to him he popped it no matter what. He had his 2k raises snapped off a few times and he eventually ended up in 'ninja' territory with a 10k stack. After observing for long enough I look down at AQo. Its folded to him and he pushes for 10k. I truely believe I'm ahead of his range and I push my 18.5k stack to isolate and go HU with him.

He turns over two red deuces. The Flop is all hearts with an Ace. The turn is a Queen, happy days. The river is a J of hearts:eek: giving him a flush with his 2h. How sick is that.

As far as sick hands of the tournament go - I dont think its gets much sicker than this one. Ur gone from potentially having a real decent stack to play with back down to ninja territory. serious cooler of a hand Tim. ul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

Tourny started well for me (well the hands I got) In the first 90 minutes I got ak 6 times aces once and a pair of sixes twice on both ocassions I hit a set !!!!!! and yet at the ned of all that I had only 12k!!!!!!!!. After that it was down to proper poker. Made one of my best calls in a while when on a board of A Q 4 A 9 i called a river bet of 3.1k when holding 2 4 (I was BB) Just knew the mad scandie was bluffing and was thankfully right. That got me up to 15k circa and I continued to grind it out to over 20k . It went downhill after that and my stack ended the first day with 10.4k well behind the average.

I had a few drinks (it was 4 in the morning) and then saw a €500 sit n go about to begin , you should have seen the state of most players hammered so I sat in eventually doing a deal with three players remaining Nicky power taking 2k and we getting 1.5k each. It was a mad game with only three players left at the start of level three!!!!!!!!!.

Day 2 started really well for me Doubled up with aces and then got kk to pay offf as well as taking down a few blinds. I then won a big hand again when I had four callers to my utg raise (i had aces) flop of 6 3 2 and sb bets put 18k i rerasie all in and sb calls he has 10 10 and I hold up. Eoin (MR Pillow talk ) was in the hand on the bb (priced in) and would of won a another six came on the river but thankfully sb had bet out.

I peaked at 140k in chips when the average was circa 45k but then began to lose chips but I am happy it wasnt through bad play. Around the money bubble i raised to 16k on the button with A5 bb goes allin fro another 24k which would only leave me with 10k if i call and lose. Not happy calling but am priced in and eventually do. He turns over kq and I hold up despite a K on the turn I spike an ace on the river.Back up to 90k and comfortable again. Even though Im behind average stack I am really feeling this could be a very good tourny for me and then of course my exit hand I had AA and got it all in preflop against QQ but of course a Q comes on the turn and thats it. I'm usually fairly good when Im knocked out but this really pissed me off . In the last year I have played 5 tournys in Ireland with a buy in greater than 1k and cashed in four of them but all for smallish amounts (biggest 11k) I really do feel this was the one for the big pay day if I had doudled up there but cest la vie.

A couple of other points Smurph posted on antes up about a slow rolling twat when she got knocked out. I saw two other examples of this over the weekend and it really is pathetic (one of themn from a player who I thought had a bit more class)

Other thing is the amount of players going into the tank when their bb is raised and you know there not going to call is so sad. Fair enough you may need to do it the odd time but some idiots where doing it the whole time it was so sad.

Nearly forgot played a sit in go with mike lacey Lucky LLyod Big city banker and the crowd from blonde poker which got me out of my sulk best laugh I had playing cards in a long long time and the quality was exceptional:p

Usual round of well dones to antes up and their new increased work force. Im also delighted for pokerevents I know they get a rough press on this site but I still firmly believe they had a massive role in promoting poker nationwide and am really happy with the amount of runners they got. Really was a super tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Woke up late on Friday (5.20pm) and can't function at the moment until I have had my daily swim, so I nearly didn't bother playing the tournament as I knew I couldn't fit in swim and arrive at Citywest for 6pm. Legged it up to the pool anyway and after a quick dip, sauna and shower I decided to play so I phoned ahead to Fintan to reserve a seat and jumped in a cab directly from the pool. Arrived at Citywest just in time for the 6.20pm kick-off, which was ideal as I hate the hanging around period before tournaments start.

Donal handed me Table Fermanagh, Seat 9. Paul Leckey, John Keown, Liam Flood and Mick "The Lip" were the only ones I recognised at my starting table.

I picked up QQ in Level 1. Northern lad opened for 150 in EP, I made it 500, John K repopped again for 2,100 from BB so I mucked the QQ.

Won a nice 7k pot during Level 2. I limped UTG with QdTd. Button raised to 350, Mick took a flop in BB so I decided to do the same (value, eh!). Flop Qs8d4s, Mick fires for 600, I call and button dies. Turn 3d so I've now picked up backdoor flush draw along with my top pair, I'm not going anywhere when Mick fires out another 1,000. River Qh. He bets 1,200 so I just call in case he had flopped a set, he's not calling a raise with missed draw in any event and I take down a nice pot.

We lose Liam and Paul reasonably early, with John K building a big stack. During level 3 I pick up another nice pot when I join a limpathon on the button with T8o. Flop is 975 with 2 spades. EP limper bets 600, CO calls and so do I. Turn is Q EP limper bets 800, we both call. River is a red 6. GINNN for me. They both check and I keep the value bet small enough (1,600) to get calls from both of them, so I am in lovely shape on 17,000 by the dinner break at end of Level 4.

Next pot of note, I win a race, during the 200-400 level. Table CL John K (35k) limps UTG, UTG+1 (8k) also limps, 2 more before it gets to me (15k) on the button so I make it 2,500 to play. John K folds, thank god, but UTG+1 now pushes all-in. I call, expecting him to turn over medium pair but he has AK and my hand holds up to get me to 25k or thereabouts.

I pick up AA for the only time of the tournament later in that level and stupidly overplay it. Northern lad who is clearly feeling the pressure at this stage (although he went on to cash, he had bet 6k of his then 7.5k stack on flop into 3k pot 2 hands previously) opens for 1,200 in EP. I make it 3k in MP with my black AA. CL John K (now playing 45k) thinks for an age in BB and folds. Then raiser thinks for even longer and folds. John folded AdKd so if I'd smooth called I would have probably got a reraise from him. Should have flat-called the 1,200 there, I feel. Too much to gain at that stage from not sending the table a telegram that I have a huge pair.

I hang around that mark for the next hour, before it all goes arseways. I pick up KK and open for 2,500 from UTG at 300-600/75ante level. Called in MP by recent table arrivals Nick Slade (20k) and Lam Tranh (60k, assassin of Masters, LuckyLloyd et al) in SB. Flop is 10 9 2 with 2 diamonds. I fire out 5k, called by Lam. Turn another 9, Lam checks and I check quickly behind. River offsuit 8 and Lam now leads for 11k (I've got 15k left). I call after a while, convincing myself at the time that he wouldn't value bet so big (relative to size of my remaining stack) if he had big hand so he therefore had to have AT/JT or missed diamond draw, and he shows me the top FH (obviously!). Idiotic call, KP.

I get my last 3.5k in on button with 88 a couple of hands later, called in 2 spots. Flop 567, nice! Turn 7, could be worse! River Q. They both check so I'm feeling I've got a chance. Until they turn over KQ and AQ respectively LOL.

So it's an early start at the bar and a good few creamy pints of Guinness, I lose another €150 throwing coins against a wall against Flipper and Marty Smyth, when Flipper gets a hugely fortuitous forward roll off his final throw. Rigged!

Crash chez Flipper @ Citywest, watch him play on FullTilt online til well after sunrise, so we get up just in time for the €750 tourney on Saturday. We register, then head back to the hotel for dinner/breakfast, find my table just in time for Level 2 (50-100), recognise Connie, Brendan Walls and Fintan Gavin, the rest are strangers. Shortly after sitting down, I pick up KK utg (deja vu or what!). I open for 300 and get repopped for 1,200 by a guy in MP. I fanny about for a bit, then suddenly plonk the rest of my 8k stack into the middle. After a minute or two it appears the reraiser is about to fold, but when I motion as if to pass my cards to the dealer he immediately calls and tables AQo. Just what I didn't want to see, especially when the window card on the flop is an Ace! That left me with 1,500. A couple of levels later I ran out of patience and put them in with 88, ended up against JJ and Connie's AA. Bad spot, KP!

So €2,000 worse off from the weekend and I can't even blame bad luck really, I just didn't play up to scratch. Delighted for Smurph, shame she had the misfortune to run KK into AA which is absolute nightmare final-table scenario. She definitely would have folded the KK in my spot on the river to Lam's 11k bet. I just can't find the fold enough anymore, it used to be one of my stronger qualities as a player. Well, hopefully I'll have my game up to another level in time for the Irish OPen at Easter, I don't plan playing any big tournaments until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

sat down. got up to 12k. then went on tilt after someone rivered a straight, though i play the hand crap.

got AA raised it up. 4 callers, yipee. flop 10 7 5r got it in against a set. again played that hand horribly.

why i bothered i dont know,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

MY IPC REPORT.....YOU'LL NEED A COFFEE
    Firstly I was absolutely shattered going to the event. I had gotten my ticket in the super satellite the night before. It got down to the 27 little souls at 3.15 a.m. so by the time you gave your name etc., I did not get home til 4.00 a.m. in work next morning, full days work and straight to City West. Had no one I really knew that much about. Paul "The Hangman Roper" was the button on my bb, I had heard about him but never played at the same table as him, but after a couple of hands knew we were going to clash. I had decided as Martin (BCB) above that my ambition today was to get to the dinner break and then to day 2. I was very disappointed in my performance in the Main event in the GJP festival as I felt I panicked when I lost a few K in chips.

Anyway level 1 is fairly uneventful and I stay at around 11k, great. Early in level 2 blinds 50 100, this hand happens. Paul Roper in the BB I raise to 550 from early position with JcJh, folded around to the Hangman who calls. Flops comes down Jd5d2h, he bets 1500 into me and I smooth call, willing to gamble with the flush draw. Turn is 2s he checks, I bet 1.5k (I felt if I check he is going to smell a rat) he calls :) River is 2d so board reads Jd5d2h2s2d. He checks and I bet 4k, he goes mad, says he puts me on Ace Jack does more mumbling, at this stage im thinking if he has filled a poker of 2's:confused: im going to cry. After a dwell he makes a crying call. I show my house and he shows KdQd:eek: Happy day’s im up to 19k by level 2, yippee. Paul manages to get his stack back up to nearly 20k by getting pocket aces going all in everyone folds he shows them, next hand he limps in under the gun for 100, guy raises to 800 he re-raises all in, for about 6k after a good think the guy calls for all his chips, and paul turns over pocket aces, guy has AdKd. so he is back up to 12k within minutes, which I was quite happy about. I get to the dinner break on with 20K, so im delighted. I decided that I was going to loosen my play a bit level after break. After a few raises and positional play I was up to 24K, where I stayed for the next hour or so, up and down 2k. No clashing hands just keep motoring along. Then at level 8 I got moved to another table, I didn't like this at all. This was the last hour of play and I felt it was the most dangerous time to be moved. It was a new table, new players, potential maniacs; I was exhausted so I decided I was going to tighten my game up completely.

It became apparent that my table was much loser, much more difficult table by a mile. There was a Chinese guy down the end, who were raising machine. He was a difficult player who if he smelt any weakness in a players bet he would re-raise quickly and was willing to put his large stack on the line. I realised pretty quickly this table would make or break me. Don Fagan junior was at the table and Bernard Dunne the boxer. My plan to tighten up had to go out the window. It was quite normal to defend blinds to the death and the pots were getting big.

Blinds are 300 600 running ante of 50 for this level, I raise to 2k on button with 9s10s. Get 2 Callers.
    Flop comes down 8dJd2h, check check, I bet 5k, I caller. Turn is 7h, he bets 10K and I re-raise all in. He calls, with the nut flush draw. He misses and I double up to 48K. I have a very very uneventful last half an hour, drop back a few K with a few blind rob attempts that went horribly wrong. I finish day one on 42k. Delighted. 131 player to come back for day 2 and im well above average.

Day 2
    I decided to see how the day goes and to say it was nerve wrecking is an understatement. It starts lively with short stacks definitely making their stands left right and centre. This day was a disaster initially. I dropped down to 32K in the first hour, any raises I put in was getting re-raised by Chinese aggressive player. Then he gets moved and im just about getting over that when English guy gets moved in with a super tanker, 90K plus and I know he means business, even if he is wearing a pink jumper.

There is a player on our table (player A) who is limping into alot of pots, he has called raises checks, calls alot of bets to the river and showed Pockets Jacks, AK suited and never raised any preflop:eek: His play is scary and dangerous. He is getting alot of chips, but his play will definitely get him into trouble by a slow played monster hand against him..

This hand I feel was the turning point of the Tournament for me. The old calling station, non believing Smurphy would have lost all my chips in this hand, but it didn't feel right. The Blinds are 500, 1000 with ante of 100 and I get pocket 10's in MP I raise to 4k sb guy in late position calls and player A calls. Flop is 4 6 8 Rainbow, player A Checks I bet 10K guy in late position repots all in for 35k, he has not even looked at me and is staring player A out of it. I get a terrible feeling about this. Player A folds and I put the guy on jack’s queens or because of Player A's tendencies an extremely aggressively played set. I did a crying fold and now im feeling dejected :( I asked him later what he had. He said pocket Jacks, I actually believed him.

Im down to 18K and struggling. I have to say that without Martins help at the stage I would probably have pushed with any 2 connecting cards. He just got me aside, told me to relax, get to the dinner break, and get some air and come back re-charged..We break for dinner 10 mins later. and I relax a bit.

I spend the next 2 levels playing ninja poker, I get Thomas "The bomber" nolan moved to my bb. Himself and myself are the short stacks. Unfortunately and inevitably we were going to clash. Im down to 15K and move all in on the button with Ac4c. Thomas has double up to 26k 2 hands earlier and calls with 9s9d.

Flop comes 7h 8c 9c. Something for everyone. Turn 10d, so Ive some more outs, any 6 or J I split or any club bar 7c10c I win. The most beautiful Jc on the river. im back, yeah baby. Must say it’s the first time ive slammed the table in my life at a tournament. I now can fully understand lloyds roars in the GJP:D . The adrenalin rush is unbelievable so im up to 30K. Thomas is crippled again, 2hands later im in sb he is in BB I raise to 4k with Pocket Kings, he goes all in his last 7k I call he flips over pocket 7's and is gone. Im on 37k and feeling better, still seriously short stacked but can actually play cards. Work my stack up to 42K and then this hand happens and im down again.

Ive 8h2h on the sb and complete. Limper in late position an English guy with pink jumper who has a collection of little dice for his chip stack and who's on 100k plus and is table captain by a mile. Flop comes down 7d9h10h, I check, he checks, Turn is a 5s. I bet 5K he makes it 10K (Fuc*k) I call. River is blank miss straight and flush. I check he asks how much ive left and bets it. I fold showing 8h2h, and he obliges by showing 8,10. He then asks why I didn't bet the flop, I said I had a feeling. I had decided that I wanted to see a card, so I would check to see a raise on the flop. Anyway im back down to 20K again on life support but feel I dodged a bullet with the hand above. On a normal day and against anyone else but Mr. Pink Jumper I would have pushed the flop.

I return to Ninja Poker (all in or fold) and stay quiet. Rob a few blinds with all in with KJ A10 A8 I was willing to go out on these cards and it’s critical to pick up at least a blind a round. While this is going on Stephen Mclean (carfax) gets moved to my Button. Unfortunately Stephen doesn't get the rub and goes out after making a call with AQ against Bernard Dunne who raised all in with pocket Aces and calling Mr. Pink Jumper only to run into pocket kings..

I get Ks8s on the button and go all in for 24K. SB starts dwelling up and thinkin about it. After a minute of so Bernard Dunn (in the BB) says "If you call i'll call. I lose the plot. You Can't say that I tell Bernard, he looks at me like ive 2 heads. SB says his cards will make the decision for him and not anyones comments. It was f*ckin crazy comment. If the SB thinks about it and has marginal pocket pair he is getting a chance to get in a big pot. Eventually and after what seemed like an eternity the SB Folds and The BB folds. I collect my chips and try to calm myself down. I know Bernard Dunne genuinely didn't know the rules but it's small things like that which can turn games. If the SB had called I would have asked for a ruling before BB had a chance to act...... would I have been right? I was going to ask for a ruling in the middle of the hand before the SB had decided but I felt that would be a sign of weakness.

I work my way up to 35K and were on another 5 minute break. We have 29 left 2 from bubble. I know time is running out. When we come back from break it is agreed with the 3 tables that 2K is knock off 1st and 2nd and everyone is now in the money. Yepee, yahoo.. Nows my chance to get a double up. I get involved with a very weak conservative player who is nursing his chips, even though he has alot of them and I get him of a pot. I raised to 6K he called and I bet 15K on a flop of 8 high with AKofsuit he folds, phew.

Then the most bizzare next 40 minutes started. I think people with 80K plus decided that if they were going to the final table it was with a super tanker. The eventual winner of the tournament raises to 15K in MP with pocket 10's and is called by English Guy (pink Jumper) flop comes down 2 5 8 rainbow and Pink Jumper guy goes all in for 70K and is called and show Kc9c:eek: I know he was trying a move and got caught but wow. This becomes a regular accurance and seems to be and airbourne virus because all you hear is player gone left right and centre. After 6 players are knocked out it calms down.Were down to 21, three tables of 7 and the antes are crucifying me. I go all in for about 3 hands in a row and get called by AJ and my AQ holds up and im up to about 85K at this stage, still short but still there. Player goes and were down to 2 tables of 10 Stuey from the Fitz is still there and is on my table My SB and we have by far the easier of the two tables. The other table has monster chip stacks and super aggresive maniacs..

The players are dropping thick and fast, Martin is looking more nervous than I am (god id love a vodka now or even a beer,mmmm beer). BCB and Lucky Lloyd are helping with my nerves big time. It’s after getting very tense. I have been doing a lot of raising utg but I have had cards, pocket tens and AK suited twice.

We are down to 11 and I get involved with Ciaran Burke (eventually finishes 4th) He has recently knocked a player out with the following hand. It was a battle of the blinds, Eamon Kennedy in SB and Ciaran Burke BB. On a Flop of 7 8 10 and Eamon pushes with 8 9. Ciaran tells Eamon that he thinks he has 8 9 and calls with 10 6 No help for Eamon Kennedy. Ciaran is a good player and he is now on the SB when im on the button.

We are down to 11 and this hand happens with with Ciaran Burke Hand starts with Ciaran on about 180K approximately. I have 100k approximately. Blinds are 4K 8K with a 500 ante. Folded around to me on the button and I have As8s, I make it 22K to play. Ciaran Burke calls in SB, BB Folds. Flop comes 8h8d3s, he checks I check. Turn is Jh and he bets 35K, I re-raise all in for 75K. He thinks for an age and folds. I felt that it had gotten too flushy and maybe the nerves got to me, I just didn’t want to go out by not being aggressive enough, any comments?. I had got 57K and my stack up to 150K. A northern Guy is on our table (Terry McDaid) is definitely table captain and is accumulating chips, constantly showing AKsuited off suit, scary run of cards. He is a dangerous, aggressive player who always has plenty to say at the table:mad: but more about him later. I pick up a few blinds and work my stack up to about 240K with a raise with pocket 10’s, called by Stuey in the SB. He checks a 9 high flop and I bet 35K, he folds showing AK, I don't show but tell him after.

Then this hand happens, Stuey goes all in on the SB for 85K. I decided before looking at my cards that if I have 88 or higher im calling. I need chips and at this stage of the tournament I cannot show fear. I look at pocket 9’s and call. Suey shows AKoff suit. The flop and turn is no help to Stuey but the River brings the cruel A and the 170K pot ships to Stuey

I’m back down to 150K and im developing a shake in my leg. I would be devastated to go out in 10th place. The final table is like a whole new ball game. Getting there is the aim of the game and I need to restock. Stuey proceeds to give 70k back to the table over the next few hands, when we hear the words all in from the previous table. After a gather around the 10th Player exits and im on the Final table. :D:D:D Yepee, cannot believe it. I am so excited, exhausted but still manage to struggle up to the bar for a pint of Budweiser which goes straight to my head. I also have "Dumb and Dumber" Micky Hoey, and Tom From Meath, buckled, telling me that the button is king on the final table and positional play is way to go. I was too tired to be nice, so left. I left my Car at City west and go home in Martins Car. I knew I needed to blow off steam so bottle of wine later I get some sleep.

DAY 3 YEPEE
    :DTHE FINAL TABLE
    So we arrive out to City west about 1.30 p.m. and im so nervous. I just want the game to start. Meet Tom Murphy (devore) who says that he had a mad dream last night that I had made the final table. I look at him like he has 2 heads, but then he explains that he wasn’t even near a computer and had gotten no updates, scary or what. My game plan is to sit tight for first 2 orbits of the table, that’s all I can afford,. Blinds are 5k 10K with 500 antes so if I don’t win a hand in 2 orbits my stack will be down to 100K. If I get AK suited or unsuited or anything above pocket 8’s im going for gold in that 2 orbits.

We start the Final table well with me getting seat 9, Button is gold when you have 150K starting stacks. And seat numbers as follows

Seat 1. Ciaron Burke: 281,000
    Seat 2. Dermot Jacob: 103,500
    Seat 3. Scott Byron: 1,003,000
    Seat 4. Terry McDaid: 468,000
    Seat 5. Jens Klaning: 365,000
    Seat 6. John Clancy: 259,500
    Seat 7. Stewart Samuels: 97,500
    Seat 8. Keith Cummins: 417,000
    Seat 9. Smurph: 149,500

We have 35 minutes left at blinds 5k10k with 500 antes. Once the game starts all my nerves are gone, it’s like ive gone into poker mode again. Kinda surreal, The game starts off much as I expected Scott Byron raising and taking down a few pots. First to go in the first few hands is Dermot Jacob, who raised all in and was called by the chip leader Scott Byron. John Clancy then *reraised* all in and pushed the CL out of the hand! Jacob had AK and John Clancy had an aggressively played JJ. The jacks stood up and Dermot is out in 9th for 10k prize!

Next to go is Stuey within 2 – 3 hands Stuey moved in and was eventually called by Keith Cummins. Stuey has AK and Keith showed 99. The flop brought a third 9 which kills stuey (ps he has lost some amount of weight over the last few months) only half the man he was.

I have had nothing, A5 offsuit has been the best hand I have seen so I have been fairly much of a spectator. The 2nd rounds of blinds go by me and now im in deep trouble, I need help and quickly. Im in MP and the blinds have increased to 6k 12k with a 1k ante and I look down at ksJs take a deep breath. It’s folded around to me and I announce all in for 105K, SB Ciaron Burke re-raises all in. I pray im up against a pair and not AK. No one calls. He turns over pocket sevens. I am happy and he was a brave man going all in considering chip leader Scott Byran was in the BB. Saddle up im off to the races,
    Flop comes down Flop is QT3 rainbow, turn is a 6 , I pick up my lucky Coin and the river is the most amazing 9. yes, sweet jesus yes . Now I can play (for another level anyway) im hangin in there. There is nothing nicer than the feeling of stacking chips. My hands are shaking and I can’t stop smiling, I stake my chips of approximately 220k. 2 hands later im utg and I look down at KsKc, yummy, I make it 35K to go, folded around to Terry McDaid and he announces all in. he has about 350K approximately. Now I have played at his table for the closing stages the night before and the Chip leader has passed already, I know his range is huge and in fairness, there isn’t much thinking with Pocket Kings, if I don’t call, with the stack I have, I should never play poker again.

He say’s “nice call” and flicks over pocket Aces :mad: :: . I never wished for a king as much as I did then. The was no miracle King for me and I finished in 7th. I went over and shock Mr. McDaid’s hand (while mentally I was kicking him in the nuts while pushing his chips over) and left with my head held high. I was over looking at the game later and he came over to me and said “Im putting your chips to good use” I smile, he then said that there was only one hand he could have, I never replied just looked around him at the table.

I am putting his comment down as just a spur of the moment reaction, and I’ll leave it at that. Although earlier in the game the hand below happened and was reported on Antes Up

Terry McDaid’s takes a pot from Scott Byron with A9 to A3, Scott Byron Raises to 50K approximately, Terry Calls, its check down all the way to the river with Terry ahead and getting further ahead when he hit the 9 on the turn. Neither committed any more chips to the pot, Terry announces pair and Scott Byron says that wins, As the American guy is about to muck his cards Terry asked to see them. The dealer turns them over "The Derry man has asked to see the Americans cards!" Fintan excitedly boomed into the mike. From any club or anyplace ive played that’s just bad poker etiquette, so in my eyes the jury’s definitely out on that one.

Anyway enough about Mr. McDaid. I would like to thank everyone who supported me over the weekend, I have gained huge experience from this mini adventure. I have decided that I am going to try my hardest to win a ticket for the Irish Open in April. Putting the 3 days down on paper was hard, and some of the hands or chip counts above might be a bit off.

People to thank,
    Firstly Martin, who is my rock:) . He helped me at vital stages in the tournament, was always there for me to go over and have a chat with. listened to me rant on about Bernard Dunne, and was never critical about anything I did, 2.

Lloyd and Martin (BCB) for keeping me calm when it got down to 10 players, kept me updated on other chip counts for the other tables, and just helped me to keep calm.

Mike Lacey, "how much have you got smurph"
    Me 18K
    Mike Lacey, one double up on way
    2 hands later I double up.

What have I learn't

Patience is key and never ever panic,

Go with your first instints, if youre wrong so be it.

Don't go broke with A Q

Try to be a good loser as well as a good winner. (so many people did the speech play sh*t talk after taking down a pot. One guy started berating a player after he won a pot against him. I asked him when the books coming out, he didn't say much after that except all-in called and goodbye)

Go for a walk around the room if you are steaming.

That's all folks, speaking of books sorry about the novel

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Well done - great read. "Martin" (BCB) is actually Noel Hayes!!:)

LMAO:D :D No wonder he wasn't answering me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was shocked at Terry to be honest because I met him off and on the tables up the north when I was there last. I spoke to Mick McCluskey last night and he was similarly surprised but suggested an explaination I can see the logic in. Poker in the north is about speech play and banter. Things are said up there that would probably get you kicked out of the Fitz. Additionally, apparently that was the first major tournie he's played so he may have not realised that that sort of thing does go down well.

Thats not to excuse what was said, Smurph will tell you that I wasn't impressed, but I suspect its a combination of a poor joke, clash of cultures and perhaps nerves/stress/tension.

I dunno, I just dont want to demonise someone because of one poor comment, it wasnt nice but I'm not at all sure it was meant to be nasty as it seems out of character from the man.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    I was shocked at Terry to be honest because I met him off and on the tables up the north when I was there last. I spoke to Mick McCluskey last night and he was similarly surprised but suggested an explaination I can see the logic in. Poker in the north is about speech play and banter. Things are said up there that would probably get you kicked out of the Fitz. Additionally, apparently that was the first major tournie he's played so he may have not realised that that sort of thing does go down well.

Thats not to excuse what was said, Smurph will tell you that I wasn't impressed, but I suspect its a combination of a poor joke, clash of cultures and perhaps nerves/stress/tension.

I dunno, I just dont want to demonise someone because of one poor comment, it wasnt nice but I'm not at all sure it was meant to be nasty as it seems out of character from the man.

DeV.

Your right DeV, and in fairness i'll get over it, oh look im over it:) :) . At the time I wanted to kill him. I feel it was said nearly instinctively and he probably said what he was thinking (If I go all in and someone calls in my head im going nice one yepee, good call).

I forgot to mention in my post a big thank you to Jen and all the gang on Blonde Poker, there was a load of support going from over in the UK aswell.

AND OF COURSE A BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU TO ANTESUP.COM FOR THEIR COVERAGE, WITTY REPORTING, AND THEY HAVE NICE HOODIES ASWELL AS GREAT TOURNAMENTS IN THE BOYNE VALLEY HOTEL:D :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Aye, I think "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do" is the way forward as regards slowrollers, otherwise you'd just lose your faith in humanity.

I had it happen to me only 2 weeks ago. I hadn't played a tourney in a couple of months as I'd been in Asia on holidays, so I decided to get in a bit of practise at the Celtic Poker Tour event in Naas (yes, you will all probably say I deserved a slowrolling for going to a CPT game LOL).

So we're down to 25 players (20 paid) and I've just blown half my stack by not button-raising enough preflop with 88 and by foolishly betting it on AKx flop, only for BB to push in with his Ace-rag. Anyway, that leaves me with just 60k (blinds 5k-10k/1k ante, so 24k in middle to be picked up) and I decide to jam KhTh from cutoff the very next hand. Button folds, SB folds, so it's looking good. BB has big stack, but he's been very tight, only showing down premium hands and certainly not going to makr a marginal call. He thinks for ages, looks me up and down for literally a minute. Then he asks me how much my raise is for. I count it out, slowly and cooly, trying to look like I have at least KK lol, give him my exact stack count. He keeps looking me up and down, checks and rechecks his cards a few times, then finally says, "Ah go on, shure I'll give ya a call". He flips over one card, an Ace. So I'm thinking, well if he had AK he'd have already turned over the other one so I'm probably not dominated here unless he has AT, but this particular player I would have expected to fold AT. So in my mind he has AQ or AJ, wooohooo I have two live cards. Around a minute later, no exaggeration, he tables another Ace. OMG, he's got the rockets!

Flop Kxx. Like Smurph yesterday, I never in all my life wished so hard for another K (or 10, obv!). But it didn't come. Turn brick, river brick. I was raging, but somehow resisted the urge to overturn the table. I just said, "Nice slowroll, touch of class" and wandered over to watch Rob battle through the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

I was first known as Nick Leeson and now known as Martin - You guys can call me what you want - Ive been called worse :D

Just a note on Terry McDaid and I think to be fair Nicky has said it above earlier also he is actually a pretty nice guy. Speech was a big part of his game but I found him to be very nice off the table - I played all of day one and 2 hours of day two with him. I got knocked out he came over to shake my hand from a different table, wanted to buy me drink that night at the bar - he couldnt have been nicer to me. Whilst I dont agree with his comment of "nice call" I can certainly forgive him for it.

A further note on asking to see Scotts cards - late on day 2 myself, Scott, Terry, and Laurence (d obnoxious guy who won a wsop bracelet a few years ago), and other were at the table when this exact topic was discussed between, Terry, Scott and Laurence - It was agreed that the player should show their hand if anybody at the table asked to see them... So to this end it is fair that Terry should have asked to see Scotts cards - they had discussed it previously in the tourney so I dont feel Scott would have taken exception to it. After all there is valuable info contained in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

kpnuts wrote:
    Aye, I think "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do" is the way forward as regards slowrollers, otherwise you'd just lose your faith in humanity.

Personally I prefer the find out where they play and follow them around untill they beg you to stop beating them or they go busto method of dealing with slowrollers. Speech play is fine it never bothers me and I often do it myself, however once you have gotten someone all in its time to shut the game talk off and just say wp ul nh etc etc.

WP Smurph.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As for asking for the hand, I didnt think anything weird about that. Scott should have acted first but Terry simply turned his cards over (it was a check-check showdown on the river). I think Terry expected that both hands would be shown and to be fair, was being denied information by Scott who was slow to turn his over and then just pushed them over the line. At that point in the proceedings Scott was CL and Terry second chip leader with position on him. I would have wanted to know what he had played too (there had been some betting on earlier streets)... I dont think its unreasonable at a showdown to expect both players to expose their cards or at least do so in order. What I *did* find a touch out of line was the microphone commentary about it, I kinda cringed as I thought it sounded like Irish vs The American and drew attention to what should have been low-key imho. I'm not a fan of microphone commentary myself with the exception of all-in-and-calls for the benefit of the crowd but I know some people enjoy it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

smurph wrote:

I get Ks8s on the button and go all in for 24K. SB starts dwelling up and thinkin about it. After a minute of so Bernard Dunn (in the BB) says "If you call i'll call. I lose the plot. You Can't say that I tell Bernard, he looks at me like ive 2 heads. SB says his cards will make the decision for him and not anyones comments. It was f*ckin crazy comment. If the SB thinks about it and has marginal pocket pair he is getting a chance to get in a big pot. Eventually and after what seemed like an eternity the SB Folds and The BB folds. I collect my chips and try to calm myself down. I know Bernard Dunne genuinely didn't know the rules but it's small things like that which can turn games. If the SB had called I would have asked for a ruling before BB had a chance to act...... would I have been right? I was going to ask for a ruling in the middle of the hand before the SB had decided but I felt that would be a sign of weakness.

I guess that looking for a ruling before the call would be taken as a sign of weakness by most players.
    But 100% call for a ruling if there is a call I don't know how PE will call it but IMHO his hand ought to be called dead.

Excellent report and very well done on making the FT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

DeVore wrote:
    I was shocked at Terry to be honest because I met him off and on the tables up the north when I was there last. I spoke to Mick McCluskey last night and he was similarly surprised but suggested an explaination I can see the logic in. Poker in the north is about speech play and banter.
    DeV.

This kinda makes sense to me as he really was a sound guy off the table, but you could see he thought being a smart-arse on it was the way to go.

I watched the Danish guy slow rolling with 6 left in the €750 and i can safely say if he did it to me the way it occurred I'd be looking at an assault charge

There used to be a movement in the south of America during the civil rights fights of the 60's called "Frown Power" by which, rather then confront people who acted in a racist or unacceptible manner, other people let them know it wasnt on by frowning.

Now, I'm not suggesting we frown at slowrollers but if enough people kinda grunt nod or agree with the offended party then the communities mores will be reinforced more then degraded. Just a thought... this is getting a bit off topic though so any discussion this direction should really get (and deserve) its own thread.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Yeah in fairness to the guy he never slow rolled. It was just a comment. Jes*us I heard about the guy in the €750 game and that was bad.

My incident he threw his cards over straight after comment. I was just so demoralised that I had kings, I probably took it too personally. I would have folded every other hand possible, except kings. Im over it now, thank god (mmm beer is great:rolleyes: )

Anyway lets hope there is many many many more final tables ahead.

On a funnier note, when I came up to do my report, I left my lucky coin at the desk beside the computer. Went over and registered for the €500 event, sat down and 15 minutes into the game I just realised I had the concentration of a flea and more importantly my coin was MIA. Had a magic moment with pocket 4's, gone in 2nd level of the tournament. Spent the next 2 hours retracing my steps, I was at final table looking, out asking mags to keep an eye out. Then the saviour who is tom Came over with the coin to me. Ive had it for 5 years and kept a good eye on it, . The wham over the last 2 months ive lost the thing 5-6 times. I know lucky coins bah, but if I had any doubts before, it's staying with me now for good.

I let you search for a while before returning your "lucky" coin... LOL!

Smurph I have a feeling we're going to be reporting on you going deep into tournaments in 2007 too!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Had been looking forward to this event for a while as I love the structure of these events and they seem to suit my game. Unfortunately, picked up a dose of the flu on thursday and by start time of tournament, it was really raging. My normal mode of practice for these events is to make sure I reach day 2 and re-evaluate my goals again from there.Patience is the key but would I have it today feeling the way I do?
    Got drawn on seat 1 next to a northern player,I knew the player in seat 4 was from tipperairy(had played with him before and knew he was tight). There was an aggressive chinese(english) player in seat 3, an aggressive young Scandie in seat 6 and the rest I didnt know much about.
    I lasted in the tournament for 7 hours(made my exit in the 200-400 blind level.
    I was not dealt any pair of any discription for the whole duration of the tournament, neither did I get A-K or A-Q, I got A-J once and that was my best starting hand, I suppose thats what you xcall being card dead(lol).For the first few blind levels I wasnt really involved in any pots.The only way I was staying alive was by picking up blinds from the cut off and also taking the odd pot from am american lady in seat 10 who was quite a good player but was too tight and often folded the best hand, so I called a few of her raises and managed to take the pots off her later. I had 11k at the dinner break.
    I noticed the scandie was calling a lot of raises, then calling the continuation bets and then taking the pot on the turn or the river.I was really hoping to pick up a hand against him but it wasnt coming so I decided to make a move on him.I raised up to 300 with Q10 when hes in the sb and as I expected,he flat call as does the bb.Flop comes A-9-8, they check to me, I lead out for 750, scandie calls, bb folds.Now if im right he'll CR me on the turn. Turn card is the 10d, he checks and I bet 1500(with 8,000 behind, he has 15,000 approx) he announces reraise and raises to 4,000.I then reraise to 7,000 leaving leaving just 2'500 behind and he folded after a 3 min dwell up.That put me up to 16k which was my biggest stack of the day, and when the antes came in I managed to take a couple of small pots which saw me on 18k at the start of my exit hand.
    The player who put me out is the aggressive chinese player that smurf was talking about.I was on his table all day and his play was far from textbook.He limped utg TWICE with AA, and managed to double up each time,and once on the river after there had been a sizeable bet and a call, he pushed all in and when no one called he showed AQ for TPTK.Maybe he sensed weakness but it was a funny bet.
    Now he's utg and he limps again, 1 other callers before it gets to me in the sb (blinds 200-400-50 ante),I make it up with 4c-5s and bb checks.Pot now2,100. Flop 4s-6c-7c. I've bottom pair and open ended so I lead out for 1,750.Everyone folds except chinese lad utg who flat calls. Now I have him on an overpair or possibly AcKc or Ac-Qc, the turn comes the 3s, giving me the straight and now putting a 2nd spade on board. I bet 3,000 and he calls. The river brings Ks.Ive no fear of this card and I'm hoping he has KK. I lead out for 4,000 hoping for a call, only to be reraised all in.I thought long and hard, mI now knew he didnt have a set, he either had the flush or air. I had 9k left and really,after grafting for 7 hours with ****e,I didnt feel like starting all over again.Anyway,I couldnt see how he had hit a flush so I called only to be shown 9s-10s. I felt shattered.I was feeling as sick as a dog and now on top of that I had just given all my chios away on a questionable call.It really wasnt my tournament.

Congrats to Smurf on her FT appearance. Also, well done to my fellow club member,Kieth Cummins on his achievement of finishing 5th for €21k(i had 10%).
    Also, I think its only fair that POKEREVENTS get the credit they deserve for an excellent week-end of poker. From all the bad press they got here on boards lately, I was half expecting standards to have dropped, But that was not the case and credit where credit is due.

Thanks for bearing with ne,---Connie

Advertisement