Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGHHH....Daft Dave!!

Options
  • 07-01-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Ok, maybe its just that I'm not in the best of form today, but whilst flicking through a number of radio stations I must have heard the 'Daft Dave' adverts 6 times so far, if not more. The adverts were funny about 3 or 4 months back, he was midly annoying, but funny 'travertine tiles......fiveee ni-ee-nineeeee', ok in small doses but now you cant listen to the radio without hearing him.

Now however the adverts are just plain stupid, and stupid for the sake of it. It seems that when they make a new advert, another couple follow within days, and now there are even TV adverts!! Monkeys in canoes, turtles in flip flops???

DOWN WITH DAFT DAVE!!

Are these adverts annoying anyone else, or like I said, maybe I'm in bad form and they're touching a nerve :(;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As you say they were funny but are now overplayed and are even on the bloody telly now!! Someone just shoot the Monkey, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

It's alright. as long as The Monkey stays in uniform ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I thought it was "monkeys and gnu's" not monkeys in canoes":confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's like everything else in Ireland; come up with something funny/popular/off-the-wall that appeals to joe public and next thing you know it's being overused/copied/adapted.

Podge and Rodge are a perfect example; RTÉ give them 2 shows a week, everyone and their mother thinks it's a howl...lo and behold it's on 4-5 nights of thr week, the material and quality suffers and the show becomes hackneyed and looses viewers/popularity. They did the same with the simpsons.
    Gift grub is another example...a very successful format, it's now spawned similar slots on a couple of other stations, most notably nob nation on 2fm.

Originality is awarded with plagiarism and repetition and suddenly what was good about [whatever] suddenly gets diluted and spoils the whole thing.

I liked the right price tile ads and still kind of do, but hearing them every damn ad break on every station every bloody day wears very thin.
    TV advert you say? If it's anything like H Norman's transition to the telly, then spare me please...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought they were funny, but the latest one isnt that good.

Tho I admit, having it now on a TV Commercial is over stepping the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ah now lads. Don't shoot the monkey. Let him off with a warning. Or maybe a spanking. *snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Wertz wrote:
    TV advert you say? If it's anything like H Norman's transition to the telly, then spare me please...

Yep, a tv advert, its done as a cartoon, yellow background with Daft Dave, the 'normal guy' and the monkey as black silhouettes......adding to the mystery maybe, whooooohhh, as you cant see what Daft Dave looks like, he's a small fella though :)

Heard the advert again since I made the original post :( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

wheres my monkey? lol are there not that bad.but i didnt see the tv advert yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, Dave's having a half price sale, but the Turkish Travertine is still 29.99, where's the half price in that?

ned78 wrote:
    Well, Dave's having a half price sale, but the Turkish Travertine is still 29.99, where's the half price in that?

Right price tiles are famous for their permanent 50% off sale, something the office for consumer affairs seems happy to let them carry on with...

Glad to hear they haven't "spoiled" the mystery with the TV ads...I hate when you have mental images shattered by a "real" face...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The gift grub pisstake of it was brilliant where he was stuck in the chimney.
    if you havent heard it get it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Our lecturer was making a comment about "Daft Dave" in class one day. Half way through his rant he realised we had a Dave in class, and he turned around and started apologising and got all worried! Twas funny.

(Different story tho. I know :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

irish1 wrote:
    As you say they were funny but are now overplayed and are even on the bloody telly now!! Someone just shoot the Monkey, please.
    shoot daft dave more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wertz wrote:
    It's like everything else in Ireland; come up with something funny/popular/off-the-wall that appeals to joe public and next thing you know it's being overused/copied/adapted.

this is just an Irish thing then? Little Briatain springs to mind

Mossy Monk wrote:
    this is just an Irish thing then? Little Briatain springs to mind

No no, not just an Irish thing, but because we're a small nation it seems much more pronounced, to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Daft Dave ads (like the DID "NEIN/NINE" ads before them) were funny the first few times, but quickly become repetive and grating.

(Still, I suppose the campaigns work as here we are talking about them, right?)

As for Little Britain.. can't understand the obsession with this. I thought it was stupid the first time, and given the "jokes" are the exact same every week, it only goes downhill from there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I like to think Derek Mooney had something to do with these ads...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I am convinced that Brendan O'Connor is Daft Dave

They sound almost alike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

while i will admit the daft dave adds are annoying, nothing comes close to the aural atrocity that is the appache pizza crazy frog add.

someone seriously needs to shoot the guy who came up with that for the sake of the gene pool :D

I don't think I've ever heard that apache pizza ad...sounds like I'm blessed.

Oh and to whoever it was doesn't get little britain; couldn't agree more...very few parts I've ever actually laughed at and it certainly doesn't live up to the standard that BBC comedies have come up to down through the years....then again, very little of what the BBC comedy department come sup with is funny these days (IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

While we're on the topic of comedy, Little Britian and such, I have to say I never really watched that, just saw some of the sketches like 'Lou'? and Andy...."I wan tha one"..."yeah I know" etc etc, every second person you met was doing impressions of it.

But I find in the past couple of years that I cant stomach Irish comedy anymore, its 'stupid' comedy, like I sat down over Christmas and watched some father Ted and couldnt understand how I watched it years back.....its lame comedy, really :rolleyes:. All you need for Irish comedy is to swear constantly, talk about drink, getting drunk etc etc, make no sense and there you go :eek:

I prefer British comedy, 'The Office' was brilliant, dont know whether you'd call it a comedy but anyone watch 'Shameless', that does be pretty funny, and a new one I discovered 'Still Game', really good quality comedy, the Brits sure know how to make 'em and always have done, 'Bottom', 'The Young Ones', 'Mr Bean', 'Only Fools and Horses'........

Wow, I'm gone wayyyyyyy off point, ermm...DOWN WITH DAFT DAVE!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I sat down over Christmas and watched some father Ted and couldnt understand how I watched it years back.....its lame comedy, really
    Controversial! I think you may find a lot of people might disagree with you. I would regard Ted as classic comedy. As for the likes of Little Britain I never tune in ... but the Office was fantastic.
    DOWN WITH DAFT DAVE!!
    Couldnt agree more.... ! Unbelievably annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

i would gladly shoot myself in the head than hear/see that daft dave ad one more time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Ok, maybe its just that I'm not in the best of form today, but whilst flicking through a number of radio stations I must have heard the 'Daft Dave' adverts 6 times so far, if not more. The adverts were funny about 3 or 4 months back, he was midly annoying, but funny 'travertine tiles......fiveee ni-ee-nineeeee', ok in small doses but now you cant listen to the radio without hearing him.

Now however the adverts are just plain stupid, and stupid for the sake of it. It seems that when they make a new advert, another couple follow within days, and now there are even TV adverts!! Monkeys in canoes, turtles in flip flops???

DOWN WITH DAFT DAVE!!

Are these adverts annoying anyone else, or like I said, maybe I'm in bad form and they're touching a nerve :(;)

Absolutely does my head in. No matter what channel I'm watching it's always on when the ads come on - every bloody time. I don't care about the monkey, or whether he likes nuts or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ah now don't blame Daft Dave it's not his fault he's Daft. The idea of advertising is to get the message across that we're here and we have good products for sale. Now judging by the fact that more people on boards today seem to know Daft Dave better than David Ervine then I would say that the ads are successful. The problem is that the majority of the ads on the radio especially are so non-descript and samey that you don't even know what there advertising never mind remember them.

Anyway I'm not totally annoyed by them yet but then i don't listen to the radio that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

DOWN WITH DAFT DAVE!!

What do you expect when you listen to the radio? The radio is for sheep who need to be told what to listen to by naff DJs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Since reading this thread the only thing I can think of now is

MONKEY!!

I can't get it out of my head! Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Busterpuss wrote:
    i would gladly shoot myself in the head than hear/see that daft dave ad one more time :mad:

hah!annoying indeed.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

junkyard wrote:
    I thought it was "monkeys and gnu's" not monkeys in canoes":confused::)

Monkeys and gnu's make no sense!:)

Of course its monkeys and canoes! They go together...like bears driving tiny dune-buggys in circles wearing Fezes.:)

Tiny dune-buggys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I went down the country at the weekend and as soon as I stepped into the pub, one of the lads shouted across - Look, its Daft Dave!!

And then that was the running joke for the night :(

Yes, my name is Dave, unfortunately!

It couldn't have been Petulant Pete could it?? NNnnoooo :mad:

Advertisement