Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CREATIVE Zen Vision:M 30 GB black - feedback?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Im getting one for Christmas and the day we bought it I was allowed fiddle around with it before i had to put it away. From what ive done on it id say to go for it, its great. I put a few episodes of Family Guy on it and they looked brilliant. I havent had any extended usage with it though, so im not sure what its like in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I bought mine on 18th November, in Harvey Normans.

Nothing but problems with this thing.

1. I bought a a/c power adapter for my player. The proper Creative one, €35 in Harvey's. Plugged it in on Saturday night, nothing. Didn't charge the player, but worse than that, it made the player NOT WORK . Nada, wouldn't even turn on.

So, I brought it back to Harvey's on Sunday and the fella in there got it back working again, I don't know how, but I took it back off him because I had downloaded 20+gb of music/vids/photos onto the thing.

2. After being fully charged up on Sunday it needed to be charged again today - I had it on for about ten or eleven hours I'd say over Sunday, Monday and Today, which is pretty decent battery life, it has to be said. Anyway, I plugged into the pc via USB. Not charging. I plugged it in with the power adapter into the wall, not charging.

I'm disgusted. Another trip to Harvey's is on the cards, and the fecking earliest I can get there is Thursday evening.

I'm getting a new one this time, I don't care.

3. My mate bought the exact same player a few days after me, and the touchpad on that one won't allow you to tap downwards.

Quick edit.

As said above, excellent quality video playback and photo display.

But that means nothing if I can't charge it to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sean,

I work in the Dundalk branch of Harvey Norman. I guess that's fairly well known by now... Which branch did you get your Zen in?

Going on the history of your problem with the charging, the unit itself may well be faulty. If you leave it go beyond 28 days after the date of purchase they'll only be able to get it repaired under the warranty (i.e.: not replaced). As it's still less than a month old now, don't delay - bring it back and ask for it to be replaced. Just make sure you've your 20-odd gigs of music backed up!

Note: Even after the 28 days are up, Creative generally just replace faulty units that are still in warranty. It's just easier for them that way. However, just to be sure, I'd go back with it a.s.a.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh it's most definetly a quality player for the price. It's got the traditional easy to use Creative interface and it's fairly versatile. Plus the quality of the screen is excellent.
    I know it's going to be a big seller for the store I work for this Crimbo.

Bard wrote:
    I work in the Dundalk branch of Harvey Norman. I guess that's fairly well known by now... Which branch did you get your Zen in?
    Hi Bard.

Thanks for this reply.

I bought it in Swords, and I went in pretty heavy on Sunday, really pissed off with the faulty unit, but seeing as the sales fella, who was more than helpful I have to say, got it working again, I went on my merry way.
    Bard wrote:
    Going on the history of your problem with the charging, the unit itself may well be faulty. If you leave it go beyond 28 days after the date of purchase they'll only be able to get it repaired under the warranty (i.e.: not replaced).
    But if I go tomorrow they should replace it - right?
    Bard wrote:
    As it's still less than a month old now, don't delay - bring it back and ask for it to be replaced.
    The store is open late on Thursday's isn't it? I'll be up there for about 8ish Thursday evening.

Bard wrote:
    Just make sure you've your 20-odd gigs of music backed up!
    Yeah, sure I just ripped it all from my cds :D
    Bard wrote:
    Note: Even after the 28 days are up, Creative generally just replace faulty units that are still in warranty. It's just easier for them that way. However, just to be sure, I'd go back with it a.s.a.p.
    Yep, I will, thanks, if Thursday isn't an option it'ss be Saturday or Sunday.

Just one other thing, that you may or may not be interested in.

The instruction leaflet that comes with the Creative Power Adapter has the incorrect instructions for using it with the Vision:M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I work in Dixons and will say that these players are a lump of ****e and I have had so many come back.

Do not buy this player, I have seen too many of them come back and we end up replacing them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

seansouth wrote:
    But if I go tomorrow they should replace it - right?

As long as you tell them that's what you want and point out that it's less than a month old and you're entitled to it etc. ... sure!
    The store is open late on Thursday's isn't it? I'll be up there for about 8ish Thursday evening.

Yes, they're open 'til 9 on Thursdays. Should be open an extra hour (until 7) on Fridays now too.
    Just one other thing, that you may or may not be interested in.

The instruction leaflet that comes with the Creative Power Adapter has the incorrect instructions for using it with the Vision:M

Weeeeelllllll..... I actually run the photo lab in there. This time last year I ran the MP3 desk. I'll pass this info on to the MP3 guy though. It should interest him alright.
    swingking wrote:
    I work in Dixons and will say that these players are a lump of ****e and I have had so many come back.

I think it's unfair to label them as "a lump of ****e". They're a very well specified player. We see a fair few come back too, but you're bound to see more of them come back when you sell more of them than the other players - we sell a LOT of them - out of the actual amount sold, the returns are a very low percentage overall.
    swingking wrote:
    Do not buy this player, I have seen too many of them come back and we end up replacing them

I disagree. If you buy ANY MP3 player, there's a chance you may have a problem with it. With Creative, the chance is still there but it's no higher than with any other brand - especially if you look after it well. More of them come back because more of them sell. Plus - at least they (Creative) just do a straight swap for the retailer when the unit is faulty so the retailer can just do a straight swap for the customer - that makes life much easier! The Zen Vision:M is a great little player.

Bard wrote:
    Weeeeelllllll..... I actually run the photo lab in there. This time last year I ran the MP3 desk. I'll pass this info on to the MP3 guy though. It should interest him alright.
    Thanks Bard, for your replies, and for this.

I wish I could do the same for people on this website as regards my line of work, this is why I love Boards.
    Bard wrote:
    The Zen Vision:M is a great little player.
    Agreed, I think it's great, and once I get my new one tomorrow, I'm sure I'll have nothing but good reports about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

seansouth wrote:
    My mate bought the exact same player a few days after me, and the touchpad on that one won't allow you to tap downwards.

correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you supossed to start at the top and scroll down? I have a micro thatn I love and thats how you do it with that.
    creative were are great, my headphone jack got messed up a few months ago and I sent it back to creative, its warranty period must have been up as the player is now about 2 years old and they still fixed it and sent it back to me, good al creative!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

swingking wrote:

Everything that Bard said applies.

Also, I tend to avoid Dixons due to two of the nice staff members warning me off buying delicate electronic equipment from the store due to the fact that some of the staff don't seem to care about the stock and just throw it into place, or kick and throw the boxes around the stockroom without caring about what the stock is... Perhaps THAT is why you see so many returns??? Just a thought and just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Bard wrote:
    I disagree. If you buy ANY MP3 player, there's a chance you may have a problem with it. With Creative, the chance is still there but it's no higher than with any other brand - especially if you look after it well. More of them come back because more of them sell. Plus - at least they (Creative) just do a straight swap for the retailer when the unit is faulty so the retailer can just do a straight swap for the customer - that makes life much easier! The Zen Vision:M is a great little player.

I remember Creative being bastárds for keeping the players for ages before deciding whether or not they wanted to fix it or replace it. Maybe their policies have changed but jeez that was annoying when we'd have customers in giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Only issue i have with mine so far was with the av cable i got from the site, it didnt work at all took 3 weeks to get the issue sorted but was not their fault, turned out the cable was fine (they replaced that for me with no hastle) it was the sync adaptor that was faulty its fine for syncing player but not for connecting to tv, so once i told them i had same issue with new cable i got a a new sync adaptor.

Support team where very polite and didnt give me they usual "have u tried this????" lines once id explained id tried all that im 1st email.

I know its had its fair share of problems but anymore so that other players?

I'm more than happy with mine, now if they would only fix the album art issue

Soundman wrote:
    Everything that Bard said applies.

Also, I tend to avoid Dixons due to two of the nice staff members warning me off buying delicate electronic equipment from the store due to the fact that some of the staff don't seem to care about the stock and just throw it into place, or kick and throw the boxes around the stockroom without caring about what the stock is... Perhaps THAT is why you see so many returns??? Just a thought and just my two cents.

I would be delighted to know where bouts this store is. BTW, I imagine that happens in all electronic stores.

SO........ where do you buy your electrical equipment??

Went to Harvey's this evening.

They replaced both of them. Very satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

swingking wrote:
    I would be delighted to know where bouts this store is. BTW, I imagine that happens in all electronic stores.

SO........ where do you buy your electrical equipment??

I'm sure you would be delighted.

I tend to buy my equipment online, from the manufacturer if possible, so I know that is being dealt with by professionals, that it is coming straight from source after passing QC and that it will be shipped reasonably well after being packaged properly. To date I haven't had any problems with anything I have purchased online. If I do find myself buying in Dublin it would be from smaller stores where I feel that the staff for the most part are happy in their jobs and know what they are talking about. If I go into a shop looking for something simple and find I have to explain in depth what it is then I will just give up and walk out and not buy from there again. Another reason I don't go into Dixons.

Soundman wrote:
    I'm sure you would be delighted.

I tend to buy my equipment online, from the manufacturer if possible, so I know that is being dealt with by professionals, that it is coming straight from source after passing QC and that it will be shipped reasonably well after being packaged properly. To date I haven't had any problems with anything I have purchased online. If I do find myself buying in Dublin it would be from smaller stores where I feel that the staff for the most part are happy in their jobs and know what they are talking about. If I go into a shop looking for something simple and find I have to explain in depth what it is then I will just give up and walk out and not buy from there again. Another reason I don't go into Dixons.

I find that people always come in to the store to ask questions that they already know the answers to. These people piss me off. Unfortunately for these people, I do know the answers to the questions they require. You attitude is a very snobbish attitude; you have the view that you know so much more than the workers in stores.

If you know exactly what you want to buy, then fine, buy on the internet. The online stores only provide the products, they don;t provide the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

paulr wrote:
    Hi folks was looking in to getting a new Portable Media Players when i wad directed to this one here. It would be of great help to me if could get some feed back about it from any anyone that has no or from anyone that has heard anything about them. here a link to the site wit its specs thanks.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/235207/art/creative/zen-vision-m-30-gb-black.html?itag=4580
    Anywhoooo..... Back on topic...

I have a vision M since shortly after they were released and never had a single problem with it. One of the most feature packed players out there, and especially good if you like your divx's! Thoroughly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 paulr

thanks guys for all the replys keep them coming think i might of made up my mind to get the vision m like all the features on it and seems to be more positive coments then negative

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Whats the quality of divX files like when connected to normal TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

i got mine about 4 months ago and its definitley worth the money..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

swingking wrote:
    you have the view that you know so much more than the workers in stores. The online stores only provide the products, they don;t provide the service.

He probably does know more , i know i have on a number of ocassions in certain stores.Of course online stores provide a service,not a personal one on one,but a service none the less and some are miles better than instore.I agree with what you said , if you know what your looking for get it online as many staff dont seem to have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bloodninja

excellent intelligent machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Aquos76 wrote:
    Whats the quality of divX files like when connected to normal TV

depends, if you encode a dvd for example with low rez for playboack in the zen it will look great on the zen but blocky on tv,

most downloaded files will play fine on zen and if u connect to tv will look great , well as good as connecting your pc to your tv.

the old rule applies " if you put sh*te in you get sh*te out"

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

calex71 wrote:
    depends, if you encode a dvd for example with low rez for playboack in the zen it will look great on the zen but blocky on tv,

most downloaded files will play fine on zen and if u connect to tv will look great , well as good as connecting your pc to your tv.

that is true. i have csi download and on my zen and it very good on the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

calex71 wrote:

that is true. i have csi downloaded and on my zen and it is very good on the tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bloodninja

When new is there a proctective screen on the screen of the player.

It seems as if there is a peelably layer on hte screen. Is this a screen protector or is it a part of the screen????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

bloodninja wrote:
    When new is there a proctective screen on the screen of the player.

It seems as if there is a peelably layer on hte screen. Is this a screen protector or is it a part of the screen????

just a temp protector, I left it on for as long as possible as the screen can mark easily. Got a screen protector and the leather cover.

Have to say find teh zen great. Got a pair of shure e2c inline as mostly use it for books and music when travelling. Transfer a couple of top gear just to see how it would work. Have the zen over a year no problems. Only thing don't like is its indexing of files. It has a mind of its own esp with books took a long time to figure out as the instrutions are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I have one and I'm very pleased with it, there are a few issues with it though that I'm not pleased about. Unfortunately, there's no other MP3 player out on the market that has addressed these though.

Bad points
    • The front of the player gets scuffed easily
    • USB takes forever. I was however able to use my old Creative Zen charger to get faster charge
    • The price of Creative acessories is scandalous, not only that but you can't get third party alternatives (AV cable esp.)

The Apple's have all these crippling features and more though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

My GF bought me one for my birthday in September, I have never had one single issue with it, ever.
    May be I got lucky but my mate has one to and his is fine as well.

A few points to note tho:
    The front will get scrathed if you insist on putting in your pocket with coins and keys with out its cover.
    The little adapter for charging and transferring is a little annoying
    And after about 4 months the ear phones you get with them will fray at the jack because there the stand up kind.
    The USB is only as fast as the pc so if your using usb 1.0 there nothin that can be done.
    Accessories, cant argue with you there.

Great storage battery life radio video player music player picture storage and data storage.

I know it s a different model but I dropped my Creative Zen (20gig) in water (fully submerged) last year, dried it out in the hot press recharged it and away I went.

I love Creative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Great MP3 player and it's video playing capability is top-notch. There's a
    couple in the house here and I've had a good chance to play around with
    them.

Best part is the way you can transfer divx or xvid files straight onto the
    player (without needing to convert it into a player specific format, please
    note Apple!).

Video output from the Zen Vision M is 640X480 whilst the Ipod video output is lower I believe. Quality is top notch when playing back on your TV via the AV
    lead. Is ever so handy for watching Lost, Heroes, Prison Break etc

I've always been a fan of the Iriver H series and I know I'll be replacing my H140 and H340 shortly with a 60Gb Zen Vision M.

For those looking to protect their Zen from scratches whilst in your
    bag/pocket, might I suggest one of these silicon cases. They are great
    for keeping it scratch free:
    http://www.i-nique.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=358

Advertisement