Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please explain to me the mindset of this cyclist

Options
  • 15-11-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

*Please note that this is note a motorist's tirade against cyclists, just those who are guilty of the following:

Why would somebody wearing a high vis vest, high vis bands all over his body and a helmet be cycling in a bus lane which runs parallel to a perfectly good cycle lane? And I don't mean one of those 'cycle lanes' that have parked cars every 2m, I mean a long open stretch of cycle lane.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

It is very simple to explain.

Cycle lanes are designed by non cyclists. They have steps instead where you meet the roadside, not a flush kerb. They are covered in crap, small stones and fragments of glass.

Anyone using slick typres will avoid them like the plague.

You learn not to cycle on these badly maintained and designed pathways after 2 puntures and a broken wheel shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The OP might be referring to the pedestrian-shared, wet-leaf and glass-shard covered Fairview cycle lane. Can't imagine why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Why would somebody wearing a his vis vest, his vis bands all over his body and a helmet be cycling in a bus lane which runs parallel to a perfectly good cycle lane? And I don't mean one of those 'cycle lanes' that have parked cars every 2m, I mean a long open stretch of cycle lane.

Because this someone knows that cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road?
    http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/research.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This cycle lane was in excellent condition: no leaves, no branches, no obstacles, no pot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This cycle lane was in excellent condition: no leaves, no branches, no obstacles, no pot holes.
    You seem pretty sure. Does it pass bus shelters, estate entrances, side roads? Did you cycle it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

roadmanmad wrote:
    It is very simple to explain.

Cycle lanes are designed by non cyclists. They have steps instead where you meet the roadside, not a flush kerb. They are covered in crap, small stones and fragments of glass.

Anyone using slick typres will avoid them like the plague.

You learn not to cycle on these badly maintained and designed pathways after 2 puntures and a broken wheel shaft.

well then if they are no good and cyclists don't use them.... get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Where was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Trojan wrote:
    Did you cycle it yourself?
    Thats what I would like to know. I used to think many lanes looked OK from a car until I cycled on them. Were there any driveways along the route? these can have kerbs all the way.

The cycletrack may not even have been legal, many are not, so he may have simply being obeying the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Explaination is simple.

Customers wont use crap services.

We, the cyclists, are the customers, and the cycle lanes are the crap services. And they range from adaquete to truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I can see motorists' annoyance; purpose-built cycle lane offering cyclists' own space, and cyclists just ignoring it and impinging on the space of other road users.

Reasons why I don't use cycle paths when provided boil down to poor upkeep (potholes, glass, debris), and bad design (kerbs, undulations, re-entry to the road dangerous, mixed use with dog-walkers and prams, etc). It's the inconsistency really - if I was used to my local cycle tracks being of some use, then I might be inclined to use more of them. However, on my cycle from Chapelizod to town, the cycle track takes me from a nice wide stretch of clean unbroken tarmac up onto the path used by joggers, pedestrians and covered in detritus from the trees, broken glass and the like. Only to pop me back out onto the road at the junction to the park gate to deal with all the traffic again. This path may as well not be there, even if it's not hazardous per se.

So rather than negotiate these 'facilities' I tend to just steer clear. Does that make sense?

• Advertisement

Explaination is simple.

Customers wont use crap services.

We, the cyclists, are the customers, and the cycle lanes are the crap services. And they range from adaquete to truly awful.

customer is someone who pays for goods or services...
    unlike other road users, cyclists don't pay anything for anything so i don't know how you can class them as customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

unlike other road users, cyclists don't pay anything for anything so i don't know how you can class them as customers.

As for pedestrians...

We all pay taxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Nonsense. My taxes pay for public services, cycle lanes are public services, ergo I am a customer. Furthermore, my recent communications with the Revenue all start with the salutation "Dear Customer".

Heinrich wrote:
    As for pedestrians...

We all pay taxes!

pedestrians don't pay road tax because they shouldn't be on the road...
    they have a system for them....footpaths
    that bikes are not allowed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

well then if they are no good and cyclists don't use them.... get rid of them.

Never thought of that, Ill get the shovel out this weekend and start digging it up ;)

With regards to the OP, unless you're a bus driver or a taxi driver carrying a fare what is it to you if there is a cyclist in the bus lane. A few bus lanes are marked for use by cyclists regardless of there being a dedicated cycle path adjacent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

pedestrians don't pay road tax because they shouldn't be on the road...
    Car drivers/owners don't pay road tax either - they pay a vehicle tax. Tax paid by everyone contributes to road building fund.

Note, \m/_(>_<)_\m/ is known for troll-like behaviour on boards. Feel free to ignore his/her posts.

parliament wrote:
    Never thought of that, Ill get the shovel out this weekend and start digging it up ;)

well that's a much better way of getting fit, and at least that way you wont hinder the rest of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, I openly refuse to cycle down the teeth-shattering, crotch-thumping stretch of cycle lane on the N11 just past the Esso station in black rock. They paved the bits between driveways so that you have this kind of sinusoidal stretch of cycle track that is both uncomfortable and dangerous to cycle on.

I look over my shoulder, see if there are buses or taxis speeding up, and if not then i just pop into the bus lane and by-pass that god awful mess without causing too much inconvenience.

And the glass thing is very annoying, seems like whenever there is a car crash they just sweep the glass onto the cycle lane...probably because no one uses them :rolleyes:

The specific portion of cycle lane I am referring to is between Foxrock church and White's Cross. And yes, I do cycle it occasionally. You can go down there and inspect it yourself if you refuse to believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Whitelegg (1992) shows that car drivers are heavily subsidised by the rest of the population, ie they don't pay enough tax to cover the costs of roads, accidents, health problems etc.. associated with driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The specific portion of cycle lane I am referring to is between Foxrock church and White's Cross. And yes, I do cycle it occasionally. You can go down there and inspect it yourself if you refuse to believe me.
    Ah ok, yes, well that part has several problems. Downhill towards Foxrock church it is of the kerby variety - bounces up and down driveways continually. Utterly uncyclable on at any reasonable speed. On the other side it has some truly awful features - the way it weaves around the bus stop opposite Foxrock church is very dangerous and the path around there is littered with pedestrians. Immediately after this bus stop it crosses a road (Pine Avenue?) which has a really nasty hard kerb in the middle which will take out your rim if you are going at any speed. Further on it is again kerby, up and down the driveways, has at least one more dangerous intersection and bus stop before sweeping a cyclist around onto Leopardstown road even if they want to continue straight along the N11.

Incidentally that very same cycle path was actually closed recently as roadworks were being carried out, although they are now finished. Once you are off it is difficult to get back on easily.

The path is designed for, and suitable for, slow moving weekend cyclists and children. A mountain bike is essential. It is utterly unsuitable for commuters/fast moving cyclists on road bikes or indeed hybrids.

I honestly hope the above helps explain the situation to you breadmonkey; you might note that cyclists are actually more likely to use paths other than this particular one, which is one of the worst in Dublin.

Mucco wrote:
    Whitelegg (1992) shows that car drivers are heavily subsidised by the rest of the population, ie they don't pay enough tax to cover the costs of roads, accidents, health problems etc.. associated with driving.

and then you have the road tax going to the OAP's

what a country

I've cycled it, it's fine. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I knew I wouldn't get anywhere here.

You asked a question and got several clear, considered replies. What more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I guess its a case of different strokes for different folks. What's you consider a good cycle lane, others might not. The cyclist you saw clearly did not think the lane was suitable.

As long as cyclists are sensible and don't hold up buses too much, I've no problem with them (including me) cycling in bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Why would somebody wearing a high vis vest, high vis bands all over his body and a helmet be cycling in a bus lane which runs parallel to a perfectly good cycle lane? And I don't mean one of those 'cycle lanes' that have parked cars every 2m, I mean a long open stretch of cycle lane.

Why? In short, because he decided it was safer.

I'm not familiar with the particular stretch of cycle lane that you're referring to but I would speculate (and on this point we're all speculating) that the cyclist in question is very safety conscious, which I base on the fact that he was "wearing a high vis vest, high vis bands all over his body and a helmet". In that case, it's probable that he had made a judgement that he was safer off the cycle lane than on it. Choosing to cycle in a bus lane rather than a cycle lane is surely not something that many safety-conscious cyclists would do if they considered the cycle lane to be "perfectly good".

Just out of curiosity, why did this particular cyclist irritate you so much? If he was in a bus lane then, unless you were on a bus, he was unlikely to be in your way.

Remarks about road tax and the like are generally irrelevant. (Incidentally, I agree with daymobrew's point about \m/_(>_<)_\m/, who seems to me to be making little in the way of a useful contribution to the discussion.) With very few exceptions (motorways, for example) cyclists are no more or less entitled under the law to use the public highway than motorists are. In this particular case, the only complication might be that old chestnut of compulsory use, but as I understand it that would only apply if the cycleway has been declared as such by the local authority under the terms of the Roads Act 1993. Does anyone know what the status of this particular cycle lane is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

So, why do you think that that cyclist chose to use the bus lane rather than the cycle lane? I can imagine that you might be tempted simply to answer along the lines of, "Because he's an idiot," but I'd hope for something a bit more productive than that :)

That cycle track is terrible, I am on it every day. Once had to do it on a roadbike but had to slow to a snails pace. Even on a MTB it is very harsh. Littered with glass. In the morning cops pull cars in and have them park on it. Cars pull up onto it to let kids out, or pull into the bus lane and have doors fly open onto the cycletrack. I only tolerate it since the manic bus men have endangered my life one too many times. I know the "route" I must take on it by now, constantly swerving in and out avoiding the potholes and kerbs. It is full of wandering pedestrians (why do they not use the perfectly good path which is in far better condition?). Bus drivers pull in anywhere they want and let people off buses who wander straight onto the lane oblivious. The new bus shelters have these ridges begging for accidents unless you can go perfectly straight through the ridge. Cars are always parked on it, or pull in and have to wait to open the gates to their house.

Oh and to top it all it is illegal to cycle on a lot of it so maybe he is obeying the law as I suggested earlier. It is technically a footpath for most of the way and is used as such too...

The fact he has the helmet and high viz jacket suggest he is safety concious, sensible and probably law abiding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The stretch of "cycle-lane" :rolleyes: just past Foxrock Church going south is like those rippled tracks car manufacturers build to test suspensions to destruction. If that is the stretch you are talking about then that cyclist was trying to avoid getting his wheels and himself shaken to bits. The "cycle-lane" :rolleyes: has a one inch drop, then a one inch rise, at every house entrance. I estimate at least twenty crunches to man and machine in that section.
    I either cycle on the road in the bus lane, or cycle on the six inch wide kerb at the edge of the road to avoid the drops and rises.

Advertisement