Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker in the CV

Options
  • 31-10-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Im in my final year of Computer Science and in the middle of doing my CV. I am applying to various banks and investment houses in the UK. I would have assumed that poker would be a good hobby for such a job, however i am unsure.

What are peoples thoughts on putting poker into your cv and has anyone talked about poker in a interview?

any help much appreciated.

(Im not applying for an IT job, but as a trader)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

You think that poker is something that a banking company is looking for on a CV?! You must be out of your mind. Unless the people looking through the CV are poker players themselves, they will not like it. Definitely don't put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

It would definately not be a good idea. Most people think Poker is just gambling.
    Bankroll management and discipline at the table may be similar to skills needed in the workplace but its just not worth the hassle of trying to convince a potential employer.
    Just say your into something more socially acceptable like Golf or Roulette;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

I agree.Not a good idea imo.

jonnner wrote:
    It would definately not be a good idea. Most people think Poker is just gambling.
    Bankroll management and discipline at the table may be similar to skills needed in the workplace but its just not worth the hassle of trying to convince a potential employer.
    Just say your into something more socially acceptable like Golf or Roulette;)
    I think Roulette would be worse, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

thats what i thought at first however this is a post from a while ago about strassa2 going to be a trader, in it he says they look favourably on poker skills

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7681342&an=0&page=7#Post7681342

and i aint out of my mind, just yet!

poker is risk management, trading is risk management. they do have a lot in common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

sikes wrote:
    Im in my final year of Computer Science and in the middle of doing my CV. I am applying to various banks and investment houses in the UK. I would have assumed that poker would be a good hobby for such a job, however i am unsure.

What are peoples thoughts on putting poker into your cv and has anyone talked about poker in a interview?

any help much appreciated.

(Im not applying for an IT job, but as a trader)

I totally agree with others that u should not put it in ur CV.
    Though on ur question about it coming up in a job interview I was a computer programmer till a few months ago.
    A couple of years ago I had been doing other work in the computer industry when I went for this interview ina financial firm.

I told my potential employers that I had been working on my own computer program and so keeping up the programming.
    I needed to show I had been keeping my hand in so 2 speak.
    The program was a poker tracker type thing for the prima network, so the subject of poker came up.
    I kinda had 2 admit i played, I did my best to play down the amount I actually played, but i dont think they quite bought my poker face.
    Sstill though i got da job (though whether that was a good thing or not is debatable!) - think it had largely due to the fact that my employers were around da same age i.e. early 30s at da time and they were kinda intrigued by da poker thing more than put off but they would defo b da exception rather than da rule.
    Basically i took a gamble that demonstrating my computer programming interest even though it mentioned poker was better than saying nothing and that time it payed off.

anyway definitely don't put it on ur cv unless u r lookin for a job with pokerstars or s.thng.

sikes wrote:
    thats what i thought at first however this is a post from a while ago about strassa2 going to be a trader, in it he says they look favourably on poker skills

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7681342&an=0&page=7#Post7681342

and i aint out of my mind, just yet!

poker is risk management, trading is risk management. they do have a lot in common.
    If I was you I would look for harder evidence than some random poster saying it's a good thing, before putting it on a CV.

If I was you I would look for harder evidence than some random poster saying it's a good thing, before putting it on a CV.

thats what im doing ;)

sikes wrote:
    thats what im doing ;)
    Ok fair enough. I would suggest taking it to the Work & Jobs forum to see what some non-poker players think.

good thinking, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

most potential employers will look at poker on your cv as plain gambling - therefore big NO NO

but at interview stage it may be benificial (if you get a good read :) on your interviewer) to explain that you enjoy tournament poker and to back it up with examples why the skills that you enjoy so much are very reliavant to the position in question - i can see this as being benificial in the correct setting

...better than the usual; reading,cinema, socializing etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

If you talk about odds, incomplete information betting, game selection and maintaining your edge in the game. (i.e. Come across as quite cerebral about the game as well as not being afraid to back a strong conviction in the long run) poker could be a very useful conversation to have with the right employer in the right circumstances.

I wouldn't place it very prominently in any versions of my CV but for the right position and niche bank or asset manager I would slip it in there and play it by ear at the interview.

I have heard of certain trading jobs where poker was played at the less formal all day interview stage where discussions on pot odds etc were raised with some of the candidates potential future colleagues.

It all depends on the exact position you are applying for to be honest. I'd also be sure to be very comfortable talking about the future for online gaming and the buying/selling opportuniites in the industry etc. If you put something like this in your CV (poker, cinema etc.) when going for such a position be prepared to talk about the industry from an investor point of view fairly quickly. Otherwise you are wasting an opportunity to display your talents and your appropriateness for the position.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Don't think that strassa guy is any random poster - afaik he's a big online winner - i might be wrong but pretty sure he won either the stars or party 1 mill guaranteed recently.

begs da question i s'pose why da hell does he want a Real job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I don't think there should be a problem at all depending on how you phrase it. You don't want to say that you sit up late at night playing internet poker 20 hours a week, but if you put into the "hobbies and echievements" section of your CV that you enjoy it as a hobby and have played in major tournaments like the Dublin EPT it can only improve your profile as a clever and interesting person. Any employer who would see that in a negative way would just be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Funny timing. I had an interview today and brought it up. It came up as I was asked about what I did between finishing college and now so I said I started writing one poker programand then developed another with another programmer. Later in the interview I brought up that I built poker tables (planning, teamwork ughcetra) and they commented on the trend on my hobby interests. Don't know if I was better off giving them this info or not. I don't have it on my CV.

I didn't discuss the playing aspect of poker (think i did ages ago in other interviews, didnt get the job) - but if I did I wouldn't let it look like I was playing down how much I play - wouldn't want to look like I were ashamed of playing. I would try to relate it to being the house in roulette where you have an edge over the other players and must only make sure never to invest too much on a single spin. No different than buying and selling in real life or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

you should read the thread linked to above,and also search twoplustwo for other discussions on the same topic...

basically whenever this comes up the consensus seems to be that,in the field of finance specifically,you should mention playing poker and it will be seen as a plus point if you are obviously knowledgeable about the game,have approached it methodically and intelligently,and are successful...

as well as strassa saying he felt it helped him get interviews with all the most prestigious wall street firms despite not having a degree in the area and not having a particularly impressive degree,there have been various other threads in which people have reported back on how discussing poker went in interviews,and almost all reports have been positive....

there was also a thread from someone who is in a managment position in the banking industry who said he would definitely consider someone being a successful poker to be a plus point in this specific field....

however,this assumes that you are successful,and will be able to explain how an understanding of poker theory and EV combined with bankroll management,dedication and discipline led to success in the poker world
    if you play a bit here and there at low stakes and sometimes make a bit which you cash out and spend,its probably not worth mentioning,however if you have been consistantly successful for some time having applied yourself to it properly and are able to discuss this eloquently,it will definitely be seen as a plus point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Think you would need to be very lucky to get an interviewer whom looked positively on poker, definitely an -ev play. Golf usually goes down well

if i was going for a small firm, then i prob wouldnt considering their HR staff wouldnt be as well trained, but i do think that in the bigger firms its a good idea as their staff will know all sorts of backgrounds suited for the job.

i enjoy the competitive side and can talk about theory, br management etc with ease. i have only known the rules of poker for 14 months, so its a short time, so the pinnacle of my *career* i guess was playing in the ept last week but i am a winning player, though over a very small sample size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I am a poker player and I would look on it as a negative in anyone I interview.

I have kept poker hidden from all the bank managers I deal with in business untill one of the managers assistants came accross the poker forum on boards and outed me so to speak. This particular manager advised me that allthough he couldnt care less it would be unwise to flaunt the information to other managers from bank centre etc as they just dont like the idea of lending to a gambler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

people keep saying that most interviewers would be shocked,consider poker gambling,etc
    this may be so for a lot of jobs,but the point i'm making is that,specifically in the field of finance,this is not the case,and from what i've read by people with experience in the area a knowledge of poker and history of some success would be seen as a good thing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sprocket1

un know the geeky guy who won the wsop main event in 03 before chris m/maker i was watchin a tv programme about him after her won and it talked about and showed him applying for jobs in the financial sector ,i think
    he was an accountant too and it didnt go down too well either when he said what his hobby was

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

It depends on the job really, most employers will view it as negative.

If applying for a job as a Financial Trader, it would probably be beneficial to put it on the CV and not only this, you should probably put down any big tournament wins in the achievment section.

I am aware of a Trading house in Dublin where poker is seen as a huge plus. Questions about pot odds etc are asked at interview and as far as I know the traders play together in the office after they finish work.

o yea, theres a new card room opening up in navan ,well it got the change of use planning permission through , being opened by a local morgage/financial advisior called bernard woods dont know if he has sorted out staff ,management etc why not contact him nicky ..........
    we're only a hour from dublin........

woods financial services , 8 market square ,navan, co.meath
    046 9029538 /fax 9029587

sprocket1 wrote:
    o yea, theres a new card room opening up in navan ,well it got the change of use planning permission through , being opened by a local morgage/financial advisior called bernard woods dont know if he has sorted out staff ,management etc why not contact him nicky ..........

im not quite sure what to say to this!

this is turning out to be a bit of a major issue now, cos i am really confused about what to do. i will see if there is any more suggestions in the morning, have to have it done tomorrow. will have another look at 2+2 but poker is more mainstream in the US compared to UK and ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Put it on my interests in my applications for trainee apprenticeships. Meh. I think the rest of the CV will show I've still got my act together despite being a degenerate gambler.
    If its brought up I'll explain how it something that mentally challenges me and that one can continuely learn and research about. I'll say I probably spend more time reading about it than playing. Its a fiercly competive hobby that involves complicated mathematics, strong intra-personal skills (reading/poker face) requires the ability to act under pressure.
    I'll also mention that I've invested no personal money into my bankroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

sprocket1 wrote:

woods financial services , 8 market square ,navan, co.meath
    046 9029538 /fax 9029587

You dont happen to know the planning application number or anything do you? I was considering applying for change of use in a building on Gardiner street but never went any further than idea stage with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I was working in an accounting firm last year and had a decent tournament result which I mentioned it to a co worker. He told one of the partners who brought it at a review, my read was that he was appalled. Suddenly my quality of work, time keeping absenteeism was an issue. I was gone within two weeks of my own accord but really it was just a matter of time before i was pushed out.

na, sorry ,heard about it by word of mouth and then saw the application in the local rag a while ago ,nothing to do with me personally apart from the fact that i may frequent it on occasion

nicnicnic wrote:
    I was working in an accounting firm last year and had a decent tournament result which I mentioned it to a co worker. He told one of the partners who brought it at a review, my read was that he was appalled. Suddenly my quality of work, time keeping absenteeism was an issue. I was gone within two weeks of my own accord but really it was just a matter of time before i was pushed out.

when i am applying to accountancy firms, which i do see myself doing, i aint saying anything about poker!

• Advertisement

sorry sikes , i thought nicky had started the tread
    oops appologies allround

Advertisement