Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom to enable another 100 exchanges - Broadband available to 120k more ppl

Options
  • 19-10-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

An additional 100 telephone exchanges in communities across the country will be DSL enabled. The exchanges are located in all 26 counties and this further investment will be completed during 2007.

Furthermore, eircom is committing to take all broadband orders placed within the five urban centres of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway. In total, 120,000 extra telephone lines will now be able to support broadband due to these initiatives.

To help achieve this target, eircom will commence the rollout of WiMax technology during 2007 to overcome difficulties that arise when providing broadband over some telephone lines. WiMax will be used to supplement existing DSL service in these five major urban centres. The introduction of WiMax will ensure all potential customers will be able to receive broadband. Today’s announcement follows extensive WiMax trials that have been conducted by eircom in locations across Ireland during the past year.

No proper definition of what an Urban area is yet.

Plus free football:
    eircom broadband customers will now be able to watch live sporting events including football (Barclay’s Premier League, Scottish Premier League, eircom League and Setanta Sports Cup); golf (US PGA Tour and selected European Tour Events); GAA (National League, All Ireland Championship (delayed), Dublin County Championship) and rugby (The Magners League, Leinster Schools Rugby).

This exclusive arrangement with Setanta Sports will be free of charge to all existing and new eircom broadband customers and will provide exclusive and live access to Setanta Sports through broadband. In addition, a video on demand (VOD) service will allow seven days access to recent programming on Setanta Sports.

Finding out more info now on this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anywhere that UPC has traction gets Universal BB Access from eircom by wire or failing that by 3.5Ghz wireless. Thats what it says.

Country people can simply **** off , as usual....and Comreg will not take the 3.5Ghz licence off eircom or fine them for non compliance not that those poodles would dare piss on their masters trouser leg.

To think that Dempsey has poodled over to meetings and prostituted himself with Pierre Danon and Vint Cerf and codded them that he was serious about Universal BB in Ireland :( . Universal = ALL in every dialect save Hiberno Communications Speak English and this is all that he is offered. Universal BB in the best provisioned areas covering about Half the population who already have a choice of providers anyway .

This is designed to counter Ripwave and Voda 3G and also head off UPC and is useless where BB is not available at present.

I suppose that Dempsey will have the gall to effusively "Welcome" this pathetic result for his Ministry of 'Communications' in a press statement today while they all laugh at him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

This is designed to counter Ripwave and Voda 3G and also head off UPC and is useless where BB is not available at present.

Are you saying that these 100 exchanges are already in areas where broadband is available? Can you give us the locations?

The 100 exchanges are an unnanounced program begun in the Spring , unnanounced because eircom are afraid of the WISPs and announced now becuase Noel is considering his GBS and MAN funding announcement for the election at present .

In Galway they will include Corrandulla (done ?) Kilcolgan (done? ) Clifden and Headford .

They have been on a list since about March but eircom are only publishing it now. They have often done this before

Sometimes they announce stuff in local media but not nationally and then announce it nationally later.

I bet the list , when announced, will inlcude all or most of those ones above :D In other words this is NOT NEW ! I'll bet my pores on it Damien (but only you can collect , no stampede here please) !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While any improvement in availability is good. Really I'm slightly disappointed.

I believe that in the urban areas, Eircom should be able to deliver 100% BB via DSL, just like BT can. They should be using the wimax for the rural areas, to deliver BB to people not capable of getting DSL.

Also does anyone know if Eircom is using ADSL2+ capable cards and modems in new rollouts?

It would seem silly to continue to rollout ADSL gear when ADSL2+ is just as cheap but would reach further.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I think this is a good opportunity for the Gov to make a bold move to fund the remaining exchanges. A Quid Pro Quo effort.

Use an open tender process (it will have to be as the amounts exceed EU regs requiring open tender)

Stipulate that anyone not able to receive BB on Gov funded exchanges gets wireless or Sat at same price as DSL BB

Lay down careful clauses about maintaining the last mile copper and exchanges.

Use NI as an example and template.

Funding issued in blocks as certain targets met (think SB had a complete plan together on which areas to be done first and how fast)

Assuming that the tender process is transparent and fair, covering above points then IOFFL formally welcomes it and offers support

John

• Advertisement

jwt wrote:
    Assuming that the tender process is transparent and fair, covering above points then IOFFL formally welcomes it and offers support

Absolutely jwt , we are now close to an election and I suspect this plan or a variant of it is being held over till that is announced .

It was my 2 90's Plan here

Couple of fiddly things like MINIMUM speeds and SLA need sorting out Nationally as well seeing as its supposed to be a Universal Plan.

Cavan
    Kilnaleck
    Mullagh
    Killeshandra

Clare
    Clonlara
    Tiermaclane
    Milltown Abbey

Cork
    Whitegate
    Castlemartyr
    Leap
    Cloyne
    Balineen
    Ballyclough
    Kildorrery
    Ballygarvan
    Timoleague
    Ballinaclashet
    Kilworth
    Doneraile
    Lombardstown

Donegal
    Raphoe
    Carrigart
    Convoy
    Mountcharles
    Muff
    Fahan
    Greencastle
    Quigleys Point
    Kilmacrenan
    Killygordon

Dublin
    Garristown

Galway
    Turloughmore
    Dunmore
    Rosscahill
    Monivea
    Kinvara

Kerry
    Lixnau

Kildare
    Carbury
    Nurney

Kilkenny
    Kilmacow
    Knocktopher
    Goresbridge
    Mullinavat
    Freshford

Letterkenny
    Manorcunningham

Limerick
    Rathkeale
    Patrickswell
    Pallaskenry
    Cratloe
    Cappamore
    Glin

Laois
    Rathdowney
    Durrow
    Ballylinan

Longford
    Ballymahon

Mayo
    Balla
    Kilkelly
    Louisburgh
    Ballindine
    Shrule
    Newport
    Charlestown

Meath
    Summerhill
    Wilkinstown
    Julianstown
    Nobber
    Balrath

Monaghan
    Inniskeen

Offaly
    Rhode
    Kilcormac

Portlaoise
    Ballybrittas

Roscommon
    Frenchpark

Sligo
    Castlegarren
    Cliffony

Tipperary
    Kilsheelin
    Borrisoleigh
    Dundrum
    Ardfinnan
    Newcastle

Wicklow
    Roundwood
    Glendalough
    Dunlavin

Wexford
    Ferns
    Ballynabola
    Camolin
    Killurin
    Fethard
    Castlebridge
    Ballywilliam
    Broadway
    Killinick
    Duncormick

Westmeath
    Killucan
    Castlepollard
    Tyrrellspass

Waterford
    Annestown
    Ardmore
    Aglish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Marvelous. More availability where it's already available. 4 exchanges per county...great.
    damien.m wrote:
    Damien, they have identified the urban centers they mean in the statement - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway.

I'd say you're right sponge. Most are probably done on the QT already.
    bk wrote:
    Also does anyone know if Eircom is using ADSL2+ capable cards and modems in new rollouts?
    All the resellers have been sending out ADSL2+ capable modems for well over a year and the cards in the exchange just need a firmware upgrade from what I hear.

I'm wrong so. :eek: These are all new to me .

So there is about 450 done to early this year . An unnanounced program of about 100 including the examples I gave is being done anyway and this announced program of about 100 .

That will mean 650 out of 1150/1200 exchanges nationally will be done by eircom themselves leaving some 500 exchanges yet to do . Eircom will , of course, claim that 90% of lines (funny that) are connected to the sum of the already done , being done as in unnanounced and these announced today exchanges

Hmmmm , and McRedmond stated ( to the oireachtas Committe on Comms in June) that he would do them for €50m which is a round €100,000 each .

Naturally eircom would not want that GBS funding of €50m to be diverted elsewhere , especially if it would actually do some good.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Damien, they have identified the urban centers they mean in the statement

Oh right. I best inform that senior eircom guy who's going off to figure out exactly the coverage areas that he's already drawn up that plan. Silly him. Reread the statement.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Reread the statement.
    I've read the statement several times and the only mention of urban areas in it is:
    Furthermore, eircom is committing to take all broadband orders placed within the five urban centres of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway......
    .....WiMax will be used to supplement existing DSL service in these five major urban centres.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

This is just crazy. WiMax the technology that could easily bring BB to people living in rural areas of Ireland, is instead going to be used to crush the wireless competition in the five major urban centres. And, the Minster and comgreg are just going to stand by as usual and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Does anyone have any details of the flavour of WiMax Ericom will use and who the supplier is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Country people can simply **** off , as usual

If it's based on eircom's previous standards, it's within a block or two of the exchange......South Circular Road is well inside Limerick's city boundary by a mile or so (and about 3 miles inside the Limerick + suburbs boundary) and I couldn't get eircom broadband there......Smart had to come to my rescue!

Which leads me to this question.....of the 100 exchanges being upgraded, do they each have approx 1,200 subscribers all of whom are within the pathetic 5K and who have lines that are good enough to handle the broadband, or are there just 1,200 subscribers at that exchange whereby, as per personal experience of the Dooradoyle and Roches St exchanges, maybe 40-50% (if they're lucky) of those are actually capable of getting broadband ?

Which is it ? We need to know.

Liam Byrne wrote:
    1,200 subscribers all of whom are within the pathetic 5K and who have lines that are good enough to handle the broadband, or are there just 1,200 subscribers at that exchange whereby

Its what you think Liam. Each of these exchanges serves a POPULATION of 1.2k persons of whom some are within 5k and of whom again some have an adequate line for BB .

Dempsey is under a lot of pressure to pull a rabbit from the hat at election time and the big risk is that he will simply grant eircom money to do all exchanges BUT WITH NO SLA OR MINIMUM COVERAGE TARGETS in order that Dempsey and the FF yahoos can go canvassing to houses who get 12k dialup on a pairgain and tell them eircom are coming with Broadband thanks to FF .

Dempsey is banking on this conjob to save his ministerial career in fact :(

This SLA is my second of the 2 90's

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The more I think about it, the less important the Wimax news is. Digiweb Metro alreay covers most of the areas listed by Eircom here and I'm sure Eircom won't undercut their DSL cost (they'll probably even charge line rental :rolleyes: ) so Digiweb will continue to be far cheaper.

The only thing that might be interesting is if they can do it non line of sight with decent speeds and reliability (unlike Ripwave and Clearwire).

Of course it would be much more interesting if they rolled it out to rural areas, but that is unlikely and it looks like Digiweb already covers more rural areas then Eircom will.

Another interesting bit in the statement:
    These initiatives will complete the commercial and cost effective rollout of broadband in Ireland. However, we look forward to the Government’s upcoming announcement to address the remaining customers without access to broadband."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

kaizersoze wrote:
    Another interesting bit in the statement:
    Ya, it will probably be a web link to a satellite provider.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

Sligo
    Castlegarran
    Cliffoney

Both are areas that are supplied by Fastcom Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

MrShadow wrote:
    Sligo
    Castlegarran
    Cliffoney

Wicklow
    Roundwood
    Glendalough
    Dunlavin

are more areas covered by a wireless provider

I smell a monopoly grab based on delivery of services excuse...call me cynical if you want:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a load of bollocks

why arent they upgrading the phone lines of those who keep failing

The exchanges are located in all 26 counties
    25 actually. Poor Leitrim get nothing:eek: and they only have 4 exchanges enabled at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

kaizersoze wrote:
    25 actually. Poor Leitrim get nothing:eek: and they only have 4 exchanges enabled at present.

We may have more than that, reading the list it seems that Portlaoise and Letterkenny have been elevated to county status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

MrShadow wrote:
    Sligo
    Castlegarran
    Cliffoney

Summerhill, Meath is on the list too and was supposedly uneconomic to upgrade.....Zone Broadband are providing wireless service to users in that area now (GBS), seem to remember something similar about the Ballivor, Meath exchange getting GBS funding and a live wireless service...suddenly, it becomes economically feasible to upgrade these exchanges for DSL ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Funny how these exchanges have all of a sudden become financially viable, Probably because they are starting to loose dialup customers to wireless providers and 3g especialy because hspda is comming soon.

edit- didnt see post above me and pretty much repeated what he had to say.

counties Wexford and Mayo, both with good wireless provision, did very well in this round of announcements on a per capita basis or so I thought. West and South Sligo with no wireless provision did much worse for example along with Leitrim for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kriderc

For what its worth, I live in Rathcoffey (3.5miles from Clane, North Kildare) and Eircom cannot provide me with BB. I also cannot get Wireless due to location of house, hence Sat is only option open to me and far too expensive.

OK, that may sound quiet normal for many on the boards... but just think, I am exactly 20.5 miles from O'Connell Bridge, City Centre, Dublin, Silicon Isle.

I first used a modem over 15yrs ago albeit 2400baud, but still have to use one in this day & age @ 37k from the house (ISDN is a ripoff).

Awaiting HSDPA (O2 & Voda) offerings with baited breath!

GLTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Hmmmm , and McRedmond stated ( to the oireachtas Committe on Comms in June) that he would do them for €50m which is a round €100,000 each .

Naturally eircom would not want that GBS funding of €50m to be diverted elsewhere , especially if it would actually do some good.
    As a matter of interest, how far could Vodafone stretch their coverage for €50m. I know that sort of money is pocket change to a mobile company (Vodafone has over a million customers and an ARPU of over €500, so €50m is barely a months revenue), but what sort of HSDPA infrastructure would €50m buy?

It might be interesting to see did any non-eircom company contact the DCMNR which such a suggestion... FOI is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Foxwood wrote:
    As a matter of interest, how far could Vodafone stretch their coverage for €50m. I know that sort of money is pocket change to a mobile company (Vodafone has over a million customers and an ARPU of over €500, so €50m is barely a months revenue), but what sort of HSDPA infrastructure would €50m buy?
    vodafone has over 2million customers and O2 have in around around 1.8million last time i checked
    yet vodafone have been very bad at deploying it in areas
    while 3 on the other hand have over 80% of the country covered with 3G and yet arent offering it as a internet service
    fools :mad: its the only thing i can get
    no boradband through dsl or wireless
    only 3G from 3

Advertisement