Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your legend of radio

Options
  • 20-07-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Who is 'your' legend of radio? Who's show must you listen to religiously?

Ill start bidding with the Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk 106:D
    (Mon - Fri 2.30 - 4.30)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Nothing grabs me at the moment.

But the best radio show of all time for me was 'On The Hour' which was on BBC Radio 4 back in the early 90's.

It was an excellent satire of news shows and it was also the first time we were introduced to the character of Alan Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

right now i get up in the morning to listen into opie and anthony's morning show on WYSP FreeFM's online stream. great stuff...

sure yesterday they had kevin smith duking it out with a critic who walked out of the premier... the critic didn't even realise he was talking to kevin smith! now THAT'S radio :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

The Blast with Ray Foley on Today FM. (Sunday to Thursday 10pm to 12 midnight.)

Not on at the mo cos he's subbin for ian dempsey,
    ....but a legend all the same.

right now i get up in the morning to listen into opie and anthony's morning show on WYSP FreeFM's online stream. great stuff...

sure yesterday they had kevin smith duking it out with a critic who walked out of the premier... the critic didn't even realise he was talking to kevin smith! now THAT'S radio :p
    Ha.. I heard something about that. Something about a scene in the film about hiring a woman to have sex with a donkey... there's no pleasing some critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

probably dunphy's morning show on newstalk 106 (7-9). id generally catch some of it in the morning or the repeat at night or on the podcast! even when dunphy is not presenting it, it's still a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The World Tonight on BBC Radio 4 at 10pm weekday nights

Retrospectively: John Peel (RIP) on Home Truths BBC Radio 4 Saturday mornings: LEGEND!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Best show I ever heard was the Overnighter with Greg Merryman. Sheer anarchy on the radio and without a doubt the funniest programme I've ever heard broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Lillian Smith on RTE 1 from midnight - 2am on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. Gorgeous stuff. Wish she back from maternity leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Adrian Juste on BBC Radio1 Saturday lunchtime, back in the late 70s to mid 80s

and

Kenny Everett (RIP) BBC Radio 2 Saturday 11am, mid 80s pure class both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

ray foley... has to be...

gets my vote... and no doubt monkeyfudges too...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Sloshdrop

Nigel Wood on Anna Livia on Monday nights. Music from all around the world Great sounds and an enjoyable geography lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Steve van Zandt's show

for stations check here

http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com/homepage.html

ray foley -legend of what?..do you not get a bit bored after a few shows..ah well everyone to their own.
    donal dineen ,small hours on today fm is great. currently leagues o toole is filling in,and he's on the ball as well. it's shocking that they pushed dd's slot out to 12 midnight. the music always great on dineen show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Dave Fanning, I suppose. *shrugs*

I've been listening to him since God-knows-how-long.

I was pretty pissed off when they announced he was moving to Radio 1 to talk about 'painting' (Painting!!???!?) amongst other thing.
    What the f*ck does Dave Fanning know about painting? :confused:

Anyone know when his show on 2fm ends? Is it next week? The RTE website isn't very helpful on the matter.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fanning doesn't seem to know much about some fo the stuff he talks about now, on his 2fm show. Things tech-wise especially, he's completely lost! Though, he was/is an important part of 2fm. Dunno how he'll fare on R1.

Of course, Larry Gogan is Irelands radio legend, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

My Legend shows: Home Truths with John Peel, Just a Minute, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, Loose Ends (R4)

Liveline is a bit of a legend for all it's done imo. When I was a child, I used to love a show on rte1 on Sunday nights - I think the guy was called Tommy Murphy or something? Can't really remember, he was ancient and used to play records from the 20's, but his love of music - even if I didn't really like it myself - shone like a light to me at that age.

Also like The Shipping Forecast. Nothing like being tucked up in bed on a winters night hearing about storms off the coast of Scotland!!

Magic Pips wrote:
    ray foley... has to be...

gets my vote... and no doubt monkeyfudges too...:rolleyes:
    I'm not that pushed one way or the other to be honest.

I'm not his target demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

obviously larry gogan is THEE legend, with no exceptions to the rule...

but my current legends, and have been for quite some time, are ken early and ger gilroy who present the soccer show at 9 on newstalk, weekdays. great show.

followed extremely closely by Eamon Dunphy

ya ger gilroy is really good.the two boyd would say anything. he was presenting the dunphy's morning show for a few days lately as well and he was really good.

T&#225 wrote: »

but my current legends, and have been for quite some time, are ken early and ger gilroy who present the soccer show at 9 on newstalk, weekdays. great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Larry Gogan, no one in this country comes near to him when mentioning the term legend.

Whereas, in the UK, Terry Wogan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

T&#225 wrote: »

:eek: Hesu Christi!!!... Ok... Is Early on some kind of Prozac proving scheme?...makes Dessie Farrell sound animated.....Gilroy? is he the guy who who pronounces "football" as "fuhball" on and on and on and on and on.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

:makes Dessie Farrell sound animated

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

john peel when he was alive. nowadays Zane Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yossarin wrote:
    john peel when he was alive. nowadays Zane Lowe.

oh yes he's fantastic. i don't listen much because of time and/or the laborious task of getting behind my tv to put the coax into my stereo, but when i do listen, it's fantastic. he's probably my john peel, because i wasn't really around when he was making a serious dent in the music industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Who is 'your' legend of radio? Who's show must you listen to religiously?

Ill start bidding with the Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk 106:D
    (Mon - Fri 2.30 - 4.30)

I probably won't be liked for this, but Adrian Kennedy, the FM104 phoneshow. The man is such a legend!!!

I probably won't be liked for this, but Adrian Kennedy, the FM104 phoneshow. The man is such a legend!!!

Well said Adrian!!!

Well said Adrian!!!

Yeah the man is a legend. Ahh sure might aswell put Jeremy down to:D .

Jeremy who?

Jeremy who?

OMG!!! Please tell me you are only messing??? Jeremy Dixon, his co-presenter on the show. He does the show if Adrian is away. And also is there at get if off your chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

tbh wrote:
    - I think the guy was called Tommy Murphy or something? Can't really remember, he was ancient and used to play records from the 20's, but his love of music - even if I didn't really like it myself - shone like a light to me at that age.
    You mean Tommy O'Brien and his programme Your Choice and Mine. "Good evening listeners" he used to start off. Very funny chap from Clonmel. Mike Murphy used to have him on the his lunchtime show way back when and the banter was classic

Advertisement