Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you buy shares?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I'm in the same situation as you're in. You need at least 150e to start. Choose a good company or broker to buy the shares from e.g goodbody.ie. Then you must know what to buy.

I've started yet as I'm short if cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MathewBracken

Really nice post. I must be share it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i recently opened an execution only online account with goodbody and tbh i dont rate it all that high , sorry i didnt go with davey

take this particular stock

power shares db agriculture fund , not a sign of it on goodbody despite the fact that its listed on the nyse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

failsafe wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I can tell you how I buy stocks and shares if it's of help.

I use an internet stock broker called www.zecco.com, but friends/workmates use www.firstrade.com, www.etrade.com etc. and all are quite similar.

Zecco offer free trades (there is a monthly limit, although I've never hit it so I don't know what it is, after that it's $4.50 per buy/sell, which is a fairly good price).

To set up an account, it's roughly similar to setting up a bank account. Just click "sign up" and follow the steps. You'll need to fill out and sign two forms, and post them along with a photocopy of an id (passport).

When you've got an account set up, you can wire transfer some money accross. This is the only step where I've ever incurred a cost with buying shares. I used to only be able to do it online with AIB, and they charged €15 per transfer, and I used to transfer roughly €1k at a time so it wasn't bad. BOI now offer €1 transfers on 365online so I use them (because I have my current account with them)

Once the money arrives in my Zecco account (usually a week after it leaves my BOI account) it's as simple as picking the stock(s) I want to buy, typing in an amount of shares I would like and clicking buy.

These American online stock brokers generally only let you trade on the american stock exchanges, which is fine by me. If you want to buy shares on the ISEQ (although alot of the big Irish companies are traded on the NASDAQ etc too) you could use an Irish Stock broker, or the one built into aib online. These charge €25 per transaction, and because I have no overwhelming desire to buy from the Irish stock exchange, I'm sticking with my free zecco account!

I'd reccommend anyone who's considering it to take the plunge. It took me a year of procrastinating before I eventually got around to doing it and I wish I'd started sooner!

Maybe it was easy when they started but it aint like that anymore. Cant say zecco are any good at all. I jumped thru hoop after hoop to submit mutiple documents for the account, tranferred the money and eventually had to give up. Everytime i thought i had provided the info they required they "messaged" me with a new requirement.

I went to bank of Ireland last week and they said they charged A minimum of 8 - 15 for wire transfers especially to the states.

I wanted to open an account with Avafx.com when I saw ego k trading but it was cfd's.
    But firstrade would be a good option to start with.

I am waiting for their mobile platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brians.ssm

Does anyone have comments, good / bad, on Davy Stockbroker's online product ?

Anyone others you would point me to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 norming09

well to be quiet honest with you i have had plenty of dealings with Davy and I just find them the rudest people to do business with, when you ring to buy shares I dont think their one bit polite to honest, i try and avoid ringing which is wrong cos i would love to buy shares enless i could another company to deal with, so anyone who knows another stock broker out there could you please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 norming09

does anyone know what shares to buy for 2011, on the irish stock exchange?? id appreciate any advise, trying to build a house in a yeears time so any good returns would be a plus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Dougal Mcguire

Anyone know what the current price to walk in off the street and buy shares in boi,aib or one of the stockbrokers.

my online account is on the blink and wont be sorted until monday. need to buy shares tomorrow and am wondering which is the cheapest way to walk in and buy

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Just wondering what research sites if any do people on here use? Morningstar and the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Buying/Selling Shares Online options:

1. www.sharewatch.com
    €14.95 (or 0.3% commission)

2. www.tdwaterhouse.ie

Frequent trader €15 per trade
    Standard €20 per trade
    €15 charged per quarter for inactive accounts

3. www.nationalirishbank.ie
    €20 minimum (or 0.75% commission)
    Not sure on annual fees.

Any gotchas (e.g. poor currency exchange rates, quality of service etc.) with any of the above. Anywhere else I should be looking, preferably EU based. Thinking of going with sharewatch at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Adam E wrote: »
    I am interested in getting into the shares world and maybe making some pocketmonies, didnt have the faintest clue about investing though.

After reading every page in this thread I have a much clearer view of what it involves and where to start looking, just wanted to say thanks to everybody that shared their knowledge with us newbies.

Thanks.

Hi I am in the same position as you and am wanting to get into buy shares. Just wondering how you got on and did you have any tips you wanted to share?? tahnsk

failsafe wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I can tell you how I buy stocks and shares if it's of help.

I use an internet stock broker called www.zecco.com, but friends/workmates use www.firstrade.com, www.etrade.com etc. and all are quite similar.

Zecco offer free trades (there is a monthly limit, although I've never hit it so I don't know what it is, after that it's $4.50 per buy/sell, which is a fairly good price).

To set up an account, it's roughly similar to setting up a bank account. Just click "sign up" and follow the steps. You'll need to fill out and sign two forms, and post them along with a photocopy of an id (passport).

When you've got an account set up, you can wire transfer some money accross. This is the only step where I've ever incurred a cost with buying shares. I used to only be able to do it online with AIB, and they charged €15 per transfer, and I used to transfer roughly €1k at a time so it wasn't bad. BOI now offer €1 transfers on 365online so I use them (because I have my current account with them)

Once the money arrives in my Zecco account (usually a week after it leaves my BOI account) it's as simple as picking the stock(s) I want to buy, typing in an amount of shares I would like and clicking buy.

These American online stock brokers generally only let you trade on the american stock exchanges, which is fine by me. If you want to buy shares on the ISEQ (although alot of the big Irish companies are traded on the NASDAQ etc too) you could use an Irish Stock broker, or the one built into aib online. These charge €25 per transaction, and because I have no overwhelming desire to buy from the Irish stock exchange, I'm sticking with my free zecco account!

I'd reccommend anyone who's considering it to take the plunge. It took me a year of procrastinating before I eventually got around to doing it and I wish I'd started sooner!

I'm curious about finding the companies you want to buy shares in and I was wondering....Im sure this is a stupid question but for example....do you browse through the companies on zecco stock screener that, lets say, have made 8% yield dividend and (do a little further research on the company on your own) and then buy according to the information provided on that page??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jellybeans you sound very hung up on dividends here and in your PMs, they're not the most important thing just a nice bonus, you should look for shares that are going to increase in value way more than the value of a dividend, I don't know anyone that pays an 8% dividend anyway theres probably a catch there somewhere.

There's no way that bank of Ireland charges €1 for online transfers outside the eu. There minimum charge is €8.

Thargor wrote: »
    Jellybeans you sound very hung up on dividends here and in your PMs, they're not the most important thing just a nice bonus, you should look for shares that are going to increase in value way more than the value of a dividend, I don't know anyone that pays an 8% dividend anyway theres probably a catch there somewhere.

ye I suppose, I am so annoyed that after 9 years my fund has not made me a red cent and I just want to see some profit! how long would you expect to hold onto shares thargor - approximately??

also have you any thoughts on etf's?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Every share is different you cant have a general rule for how long you hold onto something, as long as it takes to get a good return if you think there's potential for a good return, could literally be a few hours or 20 years, no thoughts on ETFs either, total noob here sorry, only to say a lot of ETFs can go nowhere even though the market they're supposed to reflect is doing well, a lot like your managed investments, do your research before you hit Buy.

Thargor wrote: »
    Every share is different you cant have a general rule for how long you hold onto something, as long as it takes to get a good return if you think there's potential for a good return, could literally be a few hours or 20 years, no thoughts on ETFs either, total noob here sorry, only to say a lot of ETFs can go nowhere even though the market they're supposed to reflect is doing well, a lot like your managed investments, do your research before you hit Buy.

Oh ye I will, its all a bit daunting though this whole area.....and making sense of the research is another matter altogether!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Question: Trying to make an account with Sharewatch and they say they need two letters as proof of address. Problem is I'm living at home with parents with no bills. I can get a bank statement but I simply don't have a second utility bill which I can use. What do I do? :S

I am against using sharewatch or goodboddies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, even Davy seems to want the two proofs of address so the problem remains <_<

Will ask though...why?

If you have two bank statements of different bank. College letters or letter from the principal of your college or school.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

Hi all,

I wish to buy some share - only a small amount initially 5 shares with a view to buying some more in the future.
    The only reason I want to buy these shares is for the benefits of a shareholders club attached to the company.
    I am utterly clueless as regards shares / share buying.

Where would you recommend I buy them from?
    BOI are a no go and AIB seems to be a bit of a painful route to head down?
    I might need to be walked through the whole process so I will apologise in advance for my complete ignorance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FA

I have started to use TeamTraders, its kinda like fantasy football, but its with shares instead - its basic enough but allows you to buy shares and enter competitions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ronaldo*

You may be interested in exploring an investment club. Investment Club webinars and other investment information is available from
    http://www.fxdynamite.com/unisec1106
    I have been a member for some time and can recommend this as a great place to look at.
    kizzabel wrote: »
    Hi all,

I wish to buy some share - only a small amount initially 5 shares with a view to buying some more in the future.
    The only reason I want to buy these shares is for the benefits of a shareholders club attached to the company.

I might need to be walked through the whole process so I will apologise in advance for my complete ignorance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ronaldo*

kizzabel wrote: »
    Hi all,

Depending on what shares you would like to buy (which company) and where they are traded (London Stock exchnge, New York, Nasdaq, CME, Irish SE) you can find execute only brokers - no advice given.
    These are generally low cost for online transactions 0,5% or so of your purchase value. Look at fxcm, TD waterhouse, internaxx as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

I spent a while on this thread and still cant get my head around it sorry.
    All I want to do is buy a few k of google shares (on nasdaq) and leave them alone for a few years, everywhere I look (daveys etc.) there are annual fees, so obviously this is for more active people. And they dont mention share certs or dividends (I know google dont pay dividends, but thats not the point). Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this.
    Thanks

Edit I see goodbody is 26 euros a year, If I "only" buy 2k of shares is 26 way too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Hi Duff Man,

I use Keytrade Bank. They don't do share certs.
    Dividends are paid straight into the account.

You are only charged for trades, no annual fees or anthing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi Duff Man,

I use Keytrade Bank. They don't do share certs.
    Dividends are paid straight into the account.

You are only charged for trades, no annual fees or anthing like that.

Looks perfect thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Hi lads, just wondering if anyone could tell me the price of vodafone shares to buy and to sell?

Advertisement