Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering Abroad

Options
  • 03-07-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Ive always thought about volunteering abroad but on looking up the net im finding it very hard to actually get any info, can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone every done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭bacon?

i think there's info on the usit site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

mel123 wrote:
    Ive always thought about volunteering abroad but on looking up the net im finding it very hard to actually get any info, can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone every done this?

What type of Volunteering are you interested in? e.g Humanitarian

Few useful links:

http://www.volunteerabroad.ie

or

http://www.volunteeringireland.com/page.php?id=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

YEAH SORRY, humanitarian type volunteering, thanks for the sites

mel123 wrote:
    YEAH SORRY, humanitarian type volunteering, thanks for the sites

Your welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

I volunteered last summer with a charity called Habitat for Humanity and I went with a group to Honduras and we built houses for low income families. Amazing experience when I was 17! Definetly recommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Sawa wrote:
    I volunteered last summer with a charity called Habitat for Humanity and I went with a group to Honduras and we built houses for low income families. Amazing experience when I was 17! Definetly recommend it!

Did u go on ur own? Id be going on my own if i go, sounds a bit daunting but im sure everyone in the group would be in the same boat??

You travel in a group my friend went to zambia and they had a team building day before they went to get to know eachother your all in the same boat most people its there first time going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

If you want to volunteer abroad, then this site is the ONLY site you'll need:

www.volunteeringoptions.org

It's an Irish website, you can search volunteering opportunities by different criteria such as region, type of work, length of time etc. and all the volunteer organisations are included (including those mentioned above).

There's also loads of resources there to read through to help you make your decision and to learn about other people's experiences.

Enjoy, it'll be the best time of your life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Thanks, Kooli! Was just about to post that one. Nicest folks every are those Volunteering Options folks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

This link along with the other explanations linked on the left of the page should help in deciding on where and what to do.
    www.volunteeringoptions.org As Kooli says it is a comprehensive one stop shop on volunteering abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ctimes

hi

Try VSO - www.vso.ie
    They are an organisation that look after volunteering abroad. am thinking of it myself

http://www.irishtownship.com
    Building houses in South Africa.

http://www.vsoireland.org/
    International development charity that works through volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

If you're interested in living for a few months in India or Kenya and helping out at a school next summer, have a look at www.suas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Came to this board to ask that exact question:)

Some of those sites are great, exactly what I am looking for (I would be especially interested in the habitat for humanity one.)

Only problem is the costs. Do people usually just pay the cost out of their own pockets or do they raise the funds through donations?

Seeing as I would be going in the summer would it be difficult to raise those sums of money(around 2 and a half grand:eek:). Id love to do it but I definately couldnt afford it out of my own pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

Try www.vsiireland.org

They're great! And also non profit! A lot of of the major volunteer agencies are actually profit run, so when you just have to fundraise over a thousand euro (sometimes even three thousand) its actually for their own profit. With VSI you just pay a registration fee of about €100 and then you pay your flights.

If you want to go to Africa/Asia I think it could be a bit more than €100. But still- it beats a couple of thousand!

I spent last summer volunteering on a farm in Europe, such a great experience!

Irish Aid have a new volunteering centre in O'Connell street, Dublin. They can help with volunteering options.
    They have an information evening on the 7th of feb details.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Im a 1st year student and looking to volunteer in peru hopefully during the summer for a month or 2. Would the best way to do it be to go through a charity/organisation? I was thinking of trying to get in direct contact with an organisation over there (an orphanage for instance) which would mean i wouldnt have to pay for those fees required by the charities. Any help ?!

This thread goes into the not for profit/profit factor and something on peru also.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

cool, thanks. great info on that thread, never even thought of looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

star gazer wrote: »
    http://www.irishtownship.com
    Building houses in South Africa.

Does anyone know how damn powerful and resourceful SA actually is and how ridiculous it sounds that they are somehow waiting on the Irish to sort out their housing problem?
    It's only causing trouble in these countries....

I can think of many areas and people in Dublin alone who could benefit from this extreme 'generosity'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

walshb, yes, there is poverty the world over, including in Dublin. There are hardships, traumas, injustices. No one individual can be expected to attempt to deal with all these injustices. Some choose one over another, e.g. some people became nurses or doctors to help the sick; some people become drugs counsellors to help the addicted; some go to volunteer to build houses for the poor. Some people prefer to do this at home, other people prefer to do this abroad. Some prefer to work in English speaking countries, others prefer to go to extreme depths of cultural difference.

Please don't p*ss on people's dreams to try to do a bit of good in the world, wherever it might be.

If you believe that there are issues in the South African administration (which there undoubtedly are), you can join an advocacy group, you can lobby our minister for foreign affairs, you can suggest other volunteer projects in south africa which might help to improve the socio-economic system for the destitutedly poor (for make no mistake, while SA might be to some extents powerful and resourceful, this does NOT trickle through to all sectors of society, much as the neoliberals might have you believe).

It really annoys me seeing people criticise somebody else's attempt to do a bit of good in the world, without offering any more constructive alternatives.

NOT all NGO work causes problems in beneficiary countries, NOT all fundraising goes to prop up corrupt regimes.

If you, walshb, feel inspired to go volunteer with the poor of Dublin, I take my hat off to you - really, Dublin needs more people thinking your way. But please don't sh*t on others for wanting to do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

well said.

Also, if anyone's interested in the inside story on why South Africa is still so full of poor people even after apartheid, Shock Doctrine is well worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

All very quiet here...

Walshb, ya picked the wrong thread... :D

Q for Camilla,

NGO's building houses for these people... are they letting the Gov off the hook? thus perpetuating the Africa Syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Oilrig, I'm not sure here is the right place to get into this discussion - politics board might be more appropriate.
    Oilrig wrote: »
    NGO's building houses for these people... are they letting the Gov off the hook?

Briefly, as those on the volunteering board are likely to end up volunteering with NGOs... i.e. non-governmental organisations: NGOs are intended to be supplementary / complementary to governmental activities. In my opinion, there is a space for NGO work, combined with advocacy and lobbying of governments to improve standards of governmental activity.

But as I say, I don't think here is necessarily the appropriate place to discuss this [nonetheless interesting] topic. If you wanted to start a thread on the politics board regarding this, maybe you could post a link here for interested parties? Otherwise I think this starts to muddle the volunteering topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 naroc

I travelled to Moldova last year with an Irish charity called OutReach Moldova. They send out groups of volunteers from May to September each year to an orphanage for girls with disabilities. The trips last for two weeks. They are seeking volunteers for this season.They will be holding an information meeting for volunteers going this year in TCD on Sat 8th March at 11. I intend going back again in September. Their website for anybody interested is www.outreachmoldova.org.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does anyone know of any good organizations that do this kind of thing ? Has anyone done it ? If so, would you recommend it ?

The type of thing Im talking about is when you pay a grand or so and then go and work for a charity abroad in Africa or somewhere else for a couple months. All help much appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Moved from After Hours.

Arg. Was looking for a volunteering forum but couldnt find it, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I was thinking about this myself recently. Try http://www.i-to-i.com/, that's the only site I've found so far.

Advertisement