Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implanon

Options
  • 10-03-2006 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

hey girls

i have been on the implanon for the last four years(had it replaced last may) and this is the 100% truth- i have not had a period since i started on it- the doctor said it was unusual but not dangerous but im worried, would all the blood not build up inside me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i understand how it would be worrying, but really the doctor would know better than random internet people.

if it still bothers you maybe book an appointment with a different doctor & see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pepper wrote:
    i have been on the implanon for the last four years(had it replaced last may) and this is the 100% truth- i have not had a period since i started on it- the doctor said it was unusual but not dangerous but im worried, would all the blood not build up inside me?
    Your body just adjusts.

Remember you are talking about only a few litres over your lifetime and blood is 90%+ water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Maybe you should post this in Biology/Medicine under Sci. There will be someone who will be able to explain it to you. I would imagine that there is no blood being produced each month because the Implanon is preventing the lining being built up each month and then breaking down to cause you to have a period, this is how it protects against pregnancy occurring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrishMinx

When you are using some form of hormonal contraception it fools the body into thinking its pregnant.

When you are pregnant you do not have a period and the stored eggs die and are reabsorbed by your body.

They do not build up in your body as blood and only turn into blood when they move to your womb and are not fertilized.

Whats happening is perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

sar84 wrote:
    i understand how it would be worrying, but really the doctor would know better than random internet people.

if it still bothers you maybe book an appointment with a different doctor & see what they say.

im trying to see is there any other girls who have experienced this cos NO ONE i know whos on this has never had a period on it- besides the doctor i went to wasnt my normal doctor so i am inclined to be aware.

I just find it unusual and it didnt occour to me until me mother mentioned it to me(id told her) and she said"if its not dangerous where does the blood go"- and that got me thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

Enii wrote:
    Maybe you should post this in Biology/Medicine under Sci. There will be someone who will be able to explain it to you. I would imagine that there is no blood being produced each month because the Implanon is preventing the lining being built up each month and then breaking down to cause you to have a period, this is how it protects against pregnancy occurring.

but everyone else including my sisters have regular periods on the implanon- im the only 1 that doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look if your that worried go talk to your gp.
    You are not your sister your body is not thiers and you are having a differing effects on your body.

The lining of the womb simply in your case never thickens in preperation of an embryo implanting so there is no blood to come away.
    This is with in the range of effects that can happen with the implanon but if you not happy with it then talk to you dr about options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 loveinciberia

hi all! Just looking for some advice please. I got the implanon bar put in Monday night and since then Its been really itchy and since last night i've had a sharp stabbinbg pain in it almost like the bar is sticking into me(if that even makes sense). I rang my doc there and she told me to take off the bandage and if it looked red to call into her tomorrow morning (I'm unable to call in today). I've taken off the bandage and there's nothing there. Not even bruising (which she warned me id have). The thing is its after easing off a bit now (only stabs a small bit when I bend it) so I'm wondering if its' worth my while giving her €50 tomorrow to tell me theres nothing there or is this normal! rly appreciate any advice.

Sorry about the long post and all the typos (trying to scratch my arm at the same time!)

:)

if you are not happy and it is causing your pain then go to your dr.

ya i suppose so. know its sounds like im being stingy but ive given her €105 to put it in and €85 to buy it so pains me to give her another €50 in case im being a hypocondriac (awful spelling sorry!)i was hoping someone might tell me it was normal : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'I'm totally the same, never get a period ever, my GP also says its fine and that your body is 'fooled' into thinking its pregnant so you are not building up blood month after month, enjoy it! I certainly do :)'

loveinciberia read the fact/information sheet that came with your perscription, ring your dr and talk to them on the phone and see if you need to make a return appointment.

Thanks Thaedydal. Totally forget about the information sheet. Took the bandage off yesterday and the pain is nearly gone now. Rang the doc last night and she thinks that I might of had a allergic reaction to the bandage. Phew! Thanks a mill guys. Praying it works now because i can't take the pill (side effects) and im heading away in Jan eeek! Hoping ill be one of those ppl that don't get any!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

My periods have stopped completly when I started taking implanon also, thanks for all the great advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

going to just piggy back this thread because i want to ask questions about the implant from ppl who are on it or have knowledge of it.

basically i want to start taking something but i havnt yet tried anything. i want the most effective thing i can get so i was wondering if you would recommand this?

also although price does not matter much i was wondering what the going rate is? do alot of gp give it?

the tricky part is my parents are against me taking anything, its their way of preventing me from having sex (even though im soon to be 20 they still view me as their little girl as parents general do). can i start going to a gp and start fresh without my meddling mother?

another problem is i was always told by my mother i'd need a heap of tests done because she had blot clots while giving birth which could mean i can never go on contraception as a result? is this true? if so can i get the tests done without my moms history files being needed as surely her consent will be needed? i want to go on the implant without her knowledge.

Yes you can go see any dr you want or one of the family planning clincs you are an adult.

Yes the dr can asses you and do tests with out your mothers medical files.

You will need a drug scheme card and then the perscription for the implant will be 85 euros.

The fitting of the implant can vary from practice to practice it tends to be in and arround 150 to 200 euros.

Find yourself a gp or make an appointment with a family planning clinic if there is one near you ( ifpa or well womans ) and have a consultation about what contraception is right for you from a medical professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i have only recently got the implanon btu it has yet to be inserted (once my next period starts) and i was told i wont have a period by my doctor. My sister had one, then took it out to have a baby a few years back, she got one period in 2 years, she now has another one in , and has it in with a year and she has got 1 period too, alot lighter than normal, she descibed it as a mild "show" for 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loveinciberia, there was a recent case in Germany where the doctor failed to put the impant in properly, so better to be safe than sorry. The doctor is paying maintenance.

You do need to with any iud/ius or implant ask the dr who many they have done.

Hi Guys!

Don't even notice it's there now and even though she warned me I'd have very bad bruising for ten days I have abs nothing except a tiny tiny mark where it went in so im delighted! I had it inserted on the last day of my pack of the pill (so shoulda been due a period) but none so far so here's hoping!

The implanon itself cost me €85 with the drugs payment card and then my doctor charged me €105 to have it put in. Not too pricey really.

• Advertisement

Well make sure you have your receipt as you can claim tax back on medical expsense once you have spent over 50 euro in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

I have mine in just under the 3 year mark, and in that time I've had a sum total of 3 periods, which I put down to me being under massive stress at those times.

Mine was 85 for the prescription and another 60 to have it installed, though I expect prices have gone up since. I did bruise a bit, but nothing too painful.

Some people have very heavy periods on it, some have regular periods, and about 25% of women don't have any periods after it kicks in. Everyone reacts differently, same as with the pill. My doctor said that I only needed to go back to him if I started getting very heavy periods of more than 7 days, as it was a sign that it may need to come out.

I never knew you could claim it back. I've spent over €600 this year alone because i've changed pills a few times and i'd to get all my injections for going away. Thats brill thanks Thaedydal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 li

I got implanon in september and have had constant bleeding ever since. It's like a very light period everyday and then every second week I get a proper period for 5 days. It's driving me nuts but my doctor said to stick with it for 6 months because it usually settles down by then and my period might disappear. Has anyone experienced weightgain?? I haven't, not yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

li wrote:
    I got implanon in september and have had constant bleeding ever since. It's like a very light period everyday and then every second week I get a proper period for 5 days. It's driving me nuts but my doctor said to stick with it for 6 months because it usually settles down by then and my period might disappear. Has anyone experienced weightgain?? I haven't, not yet anyway

When I initially had the Implanon inserted I also experience constant bleeding and spotting over long periods of time, but was assured that it was perfectly normal. For the past 6 or 7 months I have not had a period at all. If one is not having a period, the blood is not building up constantly on the lining of the womb and I believe that it is not something that you need to worry about at all.

I have recently hit the 3 year mark and had it replaced. Over the last 3 years I have not experienced any weight gain, but I expect that this will vary from person to person.

I have found this method of contraception 100% effective (in my case) with no side effects other than not having had a period for the past 6 or 7 months, and provided you consider your options carefully and discuss it with your GP first, I strongly recomment Implanon. It can be expensive as a one off payment, but if you weigh that up against what one would pay for injections or the pill over the course of 3 years you are saving yourself money.

Something that I must add to this, though everyone is probably quite aware of this, but do not forget to always use a condom. This is something that should only be scrapped when you have met your life partner, and you have both been tested for all STIs as no other method of contraception can protect you in this way.

Long live Implanon!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

When you had your new implanon fitted, did the doc put it in in exactly the same place as the old one, or somewhere else entirely?
    I've to go for my second one in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

When you had your new implanon fitted, did the doc put it in in exactly the same place as the old one, or somewhere else entirely?
    I've to go for my second one in the new year.

He put it in about an inch away from where I had the first one. Just a tip - when you go to have it taken out/replaced, make sure that your doctor allows the local anaesthetic to work for about 5 minutes before cutting out the first and inserting the second.

The doctor that originally put in the Implanon did not allow time for it to work, and it was quite painful getting it in as he hit the muscle (needless to say I no longer see this doctor). Generally the local anaesthetic contains adrenalin, which causes the blood to stay out of the area into which it is injected, thus lessening the bruising.

Within a week or 10 days you will need the stitch taken out from where the original Implanon was inserted. I was covered again immediately after having it replaced, which is another great thing about the implanon, there was no waiting period for it to start working when you're having it replaced.

The doctor I am seeing now made the whole procedure quick, easy and painless and I'm glad I changed to him. Something else to remember is that if you are not happy with your doctor don't hesitate to change.

Good luck having it replaced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Is Implanon progesterone only? What about period settling afterwards? Like would it take months, and prolong getting pregnant (if you were trying for a baby)? I've heard of having insanely heavy, painful periods when you start to regulate too.

I'm on Depo, I take calcium supplements, doc said I should come off before 3 years though. Been on it 2 years. I'd change to Implanon maybe then in summer, cos it'd be cheap in college medical centre. But it took about 6 months to settle symptoms of Depo like moods/ weight etc. Don't want to go through all that again on Implanon... I'm confuzzled.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/implant.html

Yes it is progesterone only.
    Every woman is slightly different, so check with your gp to see if it a suitible option for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey!

I've been on the Implanon for 6 years now, i had one replaced 3 years ago and it came out smoothly. I went to get the second one out yesterday and the doctor could not remove the Implanon from my arm, after about an hour later he gave up and said to go back to him in the new year, he reckon that some tissue had built around the bar.

Has this ever happened to anyone else????????????????

Advertisement