Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery Box!

Options
  • 14-11-2005 10:31pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, what's this? A box?

amp1.jpg

Eh, that's an interesting hole...

amp2.jpg

Really? I never would have known

amp3.jpg

OH, it's an amp. Cool!

amp4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Turn that up to 11 and tell us how it sounds.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I was just playing it there earlier and I must admit, I am quite disappointed with the lack of gain but that's possibly cos of the tubes and breaking them in. I haven't had a chance to go over it properly yet.

BTW, that arrived today. I ordered it on the 29th September...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

feylya wrote:
    I am quite disappointed with the lack of gain

That's a pity. How much did it set you back?

Less than it's being advertised for ;)

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-178988.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

i was dying hiding your secret..... i like the way u took out supposodly :-)

• Advertisement

Secret? It was fairly fecking obvious in fairness :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I was surprised!

That the amp actually exists and wasn't just a giant tube-related conspiracy.

A giant tube eh? Interesting. I'm very very tempted to go and take the amp apart right now to see how it's made :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

sound clips or ya may just ban yourself and pm yourself in a month

TBH, I won't get to play it again til Friday at the very very earliest. It'll probably be Sunday and I won't have broadband at that stage :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

feylya wrote:
    A giant tube eh? Interesting. I'm very very tempted to go and take the amp apart right now to see how it's made :p
    Luckily I foresaw this and had all implements of destruction removed from your house.

That's ok, I only need my screwdrivers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What date was it sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It was kinda well known he was getting it to be honest... I likes it fey. Let us know how she sounds when you've had a chance to really kick her up. ;)

It was originally sent on the 5th October and again on the 7th November. I'll have to check if the tubes are firmly seated actually. I know if I do it now, I won't go to bed.

Edit: Hmm, now this is interesting. I took the grill off the back to have a look at the tubes and one of the 12ax7's has a metal cap around it. What's that for?

And because Eoin Madsen will want to know, it's a variable bias amp with (I assume) external biasing points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nice to see you nicked my format for uncovering new gear. :p

Still, that looks like a nice amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

feylya wrote:
    And because Eoin Madsen will want to know, it's a variable bias amp with (I assume) external biasing points.

You know I only really ask to make people who haven't biased their valve amps uncomfortable. ;)

Then you asked the wrong person :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

You know I only really ask to make people who haven't biased their valve amps uncomfortable. ;)

Sorry but for those of us who are ignorant (me) could you please explain, i'm thinking of getting a valve amp (Vox Ac30cc2x) soon, and seems relevent. I haven't a clue when it comes to the electronics of guitars....

The AC30 is cathode-biased so you should never have to worry about bias unless you get into modding.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Then you asked the wrong person :v:

But I didn't ask.:p

Oh ho ho, but you did. On the GigSmart forum months ago when Sean (I think) was asking about cheap amps in the Open Mic section. I'll find the post later.

*Edit*
    There's just a few different types of EQ circuit... they don't usually give that kind of detail, I was just curious. Is it fixed bias (in the style of Mesa and Engl)? Do you know if the 12AT7 is in the phase inverter position or not?

Actually, is there a schematic available at all? I'm really curious why it's so cheap among other things.

Yup, you asked me if it was fixed bias :p

That was all the way back in September so it eh... doesn't count. Anyway, have you actually biased it yet?

Since the GS seems to be down, answer my more recent questions - is there an external plate voltage measurement or just bias? Does the external take banana plugs or is it something else? What does the thing over the 12AX7 look like? Sounds like a simple valve retainer.

Now crack it open and show us the insides. :v:

I got it last night. It was there for an hour. In that hour, I played it and took the back grill off so no, no biasing.

Actually, They're not banana plugs I think, despite what I said on GS. Depends if I'm thinking of the right thing :/

It ain't a valve retainer. Why would it be on one tube only if it was?

I got back to you on GS. All this forum hopping is confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

feylya wrote:
    It ain't a valve retainer. Why would it be on one tube only if it was?

That's the new Dimebag Darryl Metal Madness tube, included with all new Randalls. :rolleyes:

Ya wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

The AC30 is cathode-biased so you should never have to worry about bias unless you get into modding.
    Thanks for the info....

Just cranked the amp a bit. Me likes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's about time somebody got a tube amp they liked :v:

Advertisement