Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Padraig Nally be in jail?

Options
  • 11-11-2005 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

So Pádraig Nally, a 61 year old farmer, was found guilty of manslaughter after some [traveller] broke into his house and he shot him (full story here).

Just wondering, what do you people think about this? Justified? Was Mr Nally in the right?

And just general thoughts on protecting your house and family... how much force is 'reasonable'? Should you be allowed to kill them? Maybe a gun should be allowed in your house in case of intruders...?

Discuss :v:

EDIT:
    Discuss the case and issue at hand. Do not dwell on the fact that the person shot was a member of the travelling community. Do not use offensive, derogatory terms.[/B]

-Herr K.

Should Pádraig Nally be in jail? 202 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 202 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He reloaded and fired again so yes simple as that. All the "he was on my property " crap goes out the window as soon as he reloaded and fired again.

Just to add the 1st shots would have taken down a large bear the guy was down when he reloaded and fired again.

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The fact is that he took a mans life. He should do time for it, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I disagree, When somone breaks and enters he should face the consequences

I disagree, When somone breaks and enters he should face the consequences

That may be so but he reloaded if he didnt he would have got away with it.

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He should have got a slap alright, but not shot and killed.

Did he actually break into the house or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

KdjaC wrote:
    That may be so but he reloaded if he didnt he would have got away with it.

kdjac

What if his second shot missed???????

Anyway he wouldn't have got away with it. Would have still got a custodial sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

"The second and fatal shot was fired after Mr Ward had left Nally's farmyard in October 2004 and was limping down the road, in manifest retreat, Mr Justice Paul Carney said today"

He shot the guy in the back as he limped away. That's why he's in jail. It's not just that he killed, it's that he killed a man who was no longer a threat to life or even property.

Pity his accomplice was'nt shot as well

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As KdjaC says, he was completely in the right until he reloaded and shot a fleeing man. I believe the six years was a good choice on the judge's part. What he did, didn't call for a life sentence or 15 years in jail - based on the man's general mental state at the time - but he can't go unpunished either.

In terms of defending your property, I'm all for reasonable force, but I believe that one a person strays into your property uninvited, and with dishonest intentions, then every injury incurred is his own problem. Unless the trespasser is left dead or vegetative, then the householder should not be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I do believe that in this case, Padraig Nally went too far (i.e. Reloading, and shooting the guy as he was trying to flee.)

However, hindsight's a great thing. The truth is, if you awoke to find someone in your house, you do not know their intentions. You may not think straight. Especially, if you live miles from the nearest police/help.

I'd also dispute whether 6 years of prison would improve ones mental state!

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=KaromaThe truth is, if you awoke to find someone in your house, you do not know their intentions. You may not think straight.[/QUOTE]

No i would , its simple i would put him down with as much force as needed, but once he was down that would be enough. I dont have a gun but there are less death inducing ways of protection.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Reading that the traveller "had 12 previous convictions for burglary, possession of stolen goods and other offences, and had been facing charges of attacking garda officers with a slash hook at the time of his death", then imo, he deserved everything he got. Padraig Nally should be commended for doing society a favour and ridding us of the scum.

Here, here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

KdjaC wrote:
    No i would , its simple i would put him down with as much force as needed, but once he was down that would be enough. I dont have a gun but there are less death inducing ways of protection.

kdjac

Did the intruder not deserve it though...? I mean, he was obviously a scumbag -- no loss?

{stirring up discussion...}

EDIT:

Ah I see Madge got there first :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Madge wrote:
    Reading that the traveller "had 12 previous convictions for burglary, possession of stolen goods and other offences, and had been facing charges of attacking garda officers with a slash hook at the time of his death", then imo, he deserved everything he got. Padraig Nally should be commended for doing society a favour and ridding us of the scum.

I totally agree!!

.. If he hadn't shot him the second time... no doubt the traveller would have came back and killed him when he was well enough!!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

lisamon wrote:
    I totally agree!!

.. If he hadn't shot him the second time... no doubt the traveller would have came back and killed him when he was well enough!!!...

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, considering the traveller was seen on Nally's land 5 times in the last 2 months before the incident happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah he should be in jail unfortunately. I've no sympathy for the dead pikey tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DaveMcG wrote:
    Did the intruder not deserve it though...? I mean, he was obviously a scumbag -- no loss?
    No, absolutely no loss to society.

But that doesn't mean it was OK. Otherwise, you could justify napalming large sections of certain communities on the virtue that it's no loss to society.

For society to function, all crimes must be punished, even when they're committed against society's enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Madge wrote:

I doubt Nally had the benefit of knowing the intruders previous convictions, so no defence there. Even if he did, he had no right to hand down and carry out a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To all those who think that he was wrong, would you takethe chance that he would come back at a later stage to get revenge? I wouldnt. I'm sorry but my life is worth a lot more to me than the life of some scumbag burglar.

The law doesnt deal strongly enough with offenders in this country (how are people done for joyriding/burglery etc allowed to run up rap sheets of 50-60 arrests? they should be locked up long before that). If they have arrests into double figures you can bedamn sure their crimes amount to a good few times that amount, so I have no sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think it's a fair enough sentence. Presuming that he behaves himself, he should be out of jail in less than four years. I can understand why people who know the man would feel aggrieved at his sentencing, but looking at it coldly and clinically, I think the judge made the perfect choice. Ward may have been a thieving piece of filth, but did he honestly deserve that kind of 'justice'?

I found it depressing, listening to spokespeople (apologists) for the travelling community on the radio today. They seem completely incapable of admitting that any traveller could ever be responsible for a crime. It is a sad fact that for many travellers, stealing is a way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You come into my house tonight, you become my judge and jury.
    I'll take my chances with a real jury the day after.
    Die you bastard, you are not worth one sleepless night for one of my children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Nally reloading the gun and shooting ward the second time was what he deserved the sentance for. Regardless of the circumstances, it would send the wrong message if he were not to get some punishment for this.

On the other hand, had he not done so, he would have either been killed by Ward's family, or sued for the injuries caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I don't think Padraig Nally should be in jail for protecting his property, the traveller got what was coming to him for his carryon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

I don't believe the man should be in jail!

If more people reacted the same way others would be slow to commit these crimes in the first place. That's what's wrong, IMO, no fear of consequences.

"If there's going to be an enquiry................be at it!"

HybridTech wrote:
    If more people reacted the same way others would be slow to commit these crimes in the first place.

Or maybe they'd just tool themselves up better?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

he was on padraigs property breaking in, as far as i would be concerned he done the right.
    Its seems the law is on the travelers side.

The man done what he had to.
    I say no he should not be in jail, the fact that he has killed a fellow human on his conscience is a serving of a sentence enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sparky_S wrote:
    the fact that he has killed a fellow human on his conscience is a serving of a sentence enough.

That wouldn't be on my conscience for too long, to be honest. Maybe I'm a sick b*stard, but I'd feel like I've contributed to society if I did that. I'd probably think different if I had actually done it, though.

I'd probably feel bad about the kids and that, now that I think of it.

Sparky_S wrote:
    I say no he should not be in jail, the fact that he has killed a fellow human on his conscience is a serving of a sentence enough.

At the risk of sounding flippant...

Maybe the law should be amended. Abolish jail sentences for every killer who 'has it on their conscience'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

Ray777 wrote:
    Or maybe they'd just tool themselves up better?

He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement