Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooms on campus

Options
  • 06-11-2005 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

I'll be in 4th year next year and I'll need to find a place in Dublin (currently studying in Spain)
    I wasn't even gonna bother applying for a campus room cos I thought there'd be no chance of getting one, but a friend of mine from the North got one, and another friend said she knows loads of people who were accepted. I'm not high profile in any societies, never been class rep and didn't do scols. Does anyone know what my chances are of being accepted for a campus room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

pretty good in my experence, most of my m8's who applied for rooms (all 4th years) got them... [only 1 didn't initally, and then she was offered them later...]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you are a 4th year, you are incredibly likely to get a room, irrelevent of any activities you do in college

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

Well, last year i applied just for the hell of it, i didnt pay the administration fee and i still got offered a place. so now ive got a gaff in botany bay. sweet. just go for it, nothin to lose and its good for 4th years (as long as you have a small bit of cop on! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

4th years have a very good chance of getting rooms. Its also helps if you're not from Dublin, although i've known many Dublin ppl who got rooms - although a lot of them had been living away from the family home for whatever reason already.

Also, a lot of people who've done years abroad get rooms when they come back to fourth year.

Sure, if you're not in you can't win...apply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Cool, sounds like I'm in with a chance. I live in Tyrone.
    When you apply do you select which type of campus room you want or do they put you anywhere? I don't want one of those rooms where you basically live by yourself, I saw a really nice Botany Bay apt where you share with 1 or 2 other people, are there lots of flats like that?
    Whats the date for applying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Applications aren't taken until near the end of HT. All the information is on the accomodation office website - but if you want to live in Botany Bay you have to apply with 1 (or 2) other people and specify who you want to live with. Also if you really want to live in Botany Bay I think proportionally you have a better chance if you apply with 2 other people, as less people apply for the 3-room apartments. Worked for me, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

Ok something must be going on here cause in my and my friends experience it is notoriously hard to get a room on campus even in fourth year. Though I am pretty sure it is easy if you were abroad and coming back into 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Most people I know seem to get them however most of them were also some way involved in college life. i'm not and applied but didn't get on-campus (was offered halls) so go for them but don't depend on getting it (also i think putting down everything your involved in helps)

hrm loads of my m8's got them this year, only 1 of them is involved in anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I got campus. And I'm only second year.

:v:

• Advertisement

were you an entrance exabitioner?

Serenity wrote:
    were you an entrance exabitioner?
    I don't know what that is. I just got the place because I'm deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

I heard they'd stopped giving rooms to Entrance Exhibitioners in 2nd year, although there was at least 1 second year in Goldsmith last year who was one. (Entrance Exhibitioners are people who got 545 points or above in the Leaving, btw)

Then it definately doesn't apply to me.

well in fairness, in my aplication i just used the sob story of commuting nearly 3 hours a day which takes away frommy time in the library, i also threw in my surf club association, saying that the main reason i never ran for a commitee position was due to my living in kildare, and if i got rooms id have more time to promote this fabulous club etc etc. and with regards to that,

JOIN THE SURF CLUB!

(see, i was true to my word... :))

punka wrote:
    I heard they'd stopped giving rooms to Entrance Exhibitioners in 2nd year, although there was at least 1 second year in Goldsmith last year who was one. (Entrance Exhibitioners are people who got 545 points or above in the Leaving, btw)
    still applied in my year anyway, everyone in the same apt as me in goldsmith was one...(though thats like 2/3 years ago now)

fade wrote:
    i also threw in my surf club association, saying that the main reason i never ran for a commitee position was due to my living in kildare, and if i got rooms id have more time to promote this fabulous club etc etc. and with regards to that,
    You see we offically have rooms this year? not free ones but like still rooms (marcus/dave)

fade wrote:
    i just used the sob story of commuting nearly 3 hours a day
    I used to commute from about 25 mins away.
    fade wrote:
    which takes away frommy time in the library,
    Believe me, living on campus means less time in the library.
    fade wrote:
    i also threw in my surf club association, saying that the main reason i never ran for a commitee position was due to my living in kildare, and if i got rooms id have more time to promote this fabulous club etc etc. and with regards to that,
    Yes socs deserve a lot of time. In fact almost all of my time. I hardly make lectures any more.
    fade wrote:
    (Entrance Exhibitioners are people who got 545 points or above in the Leaving, btw)
    I only got 435. Barely enough for trinity tbh.
    I just get campus cos i speak the best language in the world tbh.
    fade wrote:
    JOIN THE SURF CLUB!
    Tradsoc reception. Meeting at 7.45 front arch tonight.

Serenity wrote:
    You see we offically have rooms this year? not free ones but like still rooms (marcus/dave)

yep, saw that, i was home last week ( i stayed in MY rooms on campus), and me and marcus had a bit of a spliff. he was destroyed, didnt know where he was. i hear that their room is a little crazy, how many times they been reported to the junior dean? :)

god knows at this point, he's been threatened with getting kicked out over the whole repeating lark too..... Always random people around their gaff any time i've been there...

yep. something that i would personally despise, i can see my self losing it after christmas

"GET THE HELL OUT OF MY APARTMENT!!!!" grrrr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dr_banuska

It can be tough, I was offered a room for 4th year at the end of 3rd year but I decided to take a year out and had to give it up. I reapplied the following year and was initially rejected, even though I'd been actively involved in societies and had the disadvantage of being out of Dublin for a year. But I wrote them a sob story emphasising my contribution to college life and how coming back was going to be tough and looking for accomm wouldn't be easy as I was working back home right 'til term started and didn't have many friends still in Dublin. It worked, I got a great room that someone else must've given up.

So it pays to put a bit of pressure on them, a few ppl have told me that they cave in quite easily... just hope they're not reading this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

How much is it to stay there?

How much is it to stay there?
    About 4,300 --> 4,500.
    Can't remember exactly.
    And that includes utilities

About 4,300 --> 4,500.
    Can't remember exactly.
    And that includes utilities

which in fairness is really bloody expensive for what you get, but hey, its my last year of college (untill i get my phDand then ill never have to leave...) so **** it

gone up since i was on campus 2 yrs ago so...by a good bit too...

Serenity wrote:
    gone up since i was on campus 2 yrs ago so...by a good bit too...
    I got a grand off, so I'm laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Yea I agree, that is expensive. Its the location your paying for I guess because its so central.
    I got a grand off, so I'm laughing.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Irish House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Also, you could try and become a scholar, that way you don't have to pay for it at all. Of course, your friends will hate you if you achieve it, yet still happily insist on being allowed to sleep on your floor/couch as soon as you move in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 bbrazil

EduCat wrote:
    Also, you could try and become a scholar, that way you don't have to pay for it at all.

You still have to pay energy and heat. Round 400 a year.

Advertisement