Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Flights & Ryanair

Options
  • 01-11-2004 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Just a word of caution to travellers who fly Ryanair to anywhere,its not advisable to have a conencting flight that day unless its much later that nite and its always possible that you will miss it,knowing how pathetic this airline are for fcuk ups seriously could write a mini book about the amount
    of **** ive had with these ****ers,last Saturday my flight to Gatwick was delayed 5 hours,no real reason given/muffled announcements that nobody could really understand,its just as well i didnt need to be where i had to go on a hury but i felt so sorry for some people especially the couple who were going on holiday to Canada and had missed their flight,also the couple who were going to Cuba (i dont know if they actually made their flight but they had literally 20 mins to get from Gatwick South Terminal to the North to catch their flight so i doubt it)of course all of this is irrelevent to
    (Europe`s NO 1 low fares airline) who continue to bleed customers dry and provide a sub standard service,as long as ****ing Michael O Leary continues to rake in the millions he couldnt give a flying fcuk about the normal punter who has to fly his excuse for an airline,i personally have had enough,im just gonna pay the extra few quid and the extra travelling and fly to Heathrow or LCY with another airline,there is only so much of Ryanair one can take...... :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

jonny68 wrote:
    i personally have had enough,im just gonna pay the extra few quid and the extra travelling and fly to Heathrow or LCY with another airline,there is only so much of Ryanair one can take...... :mad:

Well good for you, personally I would never rely on Ryanair if I had to get a connecting flight. That being said I traveled to Paris with them a few weeks ago and they were 10mins early arriving in Paris and 20min early arriving in Dublin on the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

they do state that they are a point to point airline and tell people not to use them for connecting flights.....

But i know where you are coming from...i've been regularly delayed by the bastards.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

they do state that they are a point to point airline and tell people not to use them for connecting flights.....

Lordy, I thought every man and his dog knew this by now..apparently not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

True enough,although the people id spoken to who were not Irish and had never flown with them before were not to know this,they found out the hard way when they missed their flight to Toronto,ive flown with them before and they have arrived a few minutes on schedule which is all very good they always make a point in telling you that as well,they dont tell you much however when there are delays,fcuk them,ill pay the extra to a proper airline like BMI or Aer Lingus for the peace of mind.......... :confused:
    RuggieBear wrote:

But i know where you are coming from...i've been regularly delayed by the bastards.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Also what a lot of people don't know is that booking a proper connecting flight (i.e. a flight that goes from Dublin to Toronto with a stop in London as opposed to a flight from Dublin to London and another one from London to Toronto), if your outbound connection to London is delayed and you miss your connection the carrier is obliged to facilitate you on a later flight.

Also the times between 'proper' connections (aka. married segments) are regualted by IATA, and as such are gauranteed do-able, as opposed to someone booking their flight going, 'ehhhm, do you think an hour in Gatwick will be enough Dave?' When the minimum connecting time in Gatwick is 1hr 30mins under IATA regulations - for the simple reason that the domestic and international terminals are about 20 miles apart (exaggeration, but they may as well be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

por wrote:
    Well good for you, personally I would never rely on Ryanair if I had to get a connecting flight. That being said I traveled to Paris with them a few weeks ago and they were 10mins early arriving in Paris and 20min early arriving in Dublin on the return leg.

dont they over-estimate the flight times though so they can make up time etc if they leave late? I heard this somewhere...

its amazing for such a sh1t airline they always arrive on time...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dont they over-estimate the flight times though so they can make up time etc if they leave late? I heard this somewhere...

big time....i'm over to liverpool every month with them....tis a 25min flight but they say it takes 45mins. So even leaving 20mins late they'll arrive on time! They used to say it took an hour.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yes, Ryanair are notorious for doing this, i'm amazed they're allowed get away with it. I flew to Edinburgh with them about a month ago and the estimated flight time was nearly an hour, but it took just over half an hour.

I'm really sick of them now too. The last few times i've flown with them i've had delays of 2-4 hours. I know they're low fares but they really do take the piss sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

but i felt so sorry for some people especially the couple who were going on holiday to Canada and had missed their flight,also the couple who were going to Cuba

Only a fool would line up a long haul connecting flight after a Ryanair flight. Ryanair have made this blatantly clear and everyone knows it - you plan on taking connecting flights at your own risk.
    I flew to Edinburgh with them about a month ago and the estimated flight time was nearly an hour, but it took just over half an hour.

Complain when there late...and now complain when they're early.....and considering the fact that you are 'sick of them', can we take it that you wont be travelling with them ever again??

You get what you pay for. Others have posted in times past that they wouldnt use ryanair again and dont - and i can respect and understand that. However, there are many who fly Ryanair and expect more than their €50 worth, whinge and moan - but yet they will be flying Ryanair next time. EVERYONE knows the pitfalls of flying with them at this stage...whether its being delayed, stranded or their minimal baggage allowance.

If we all were of greater means, none of us would be flying ryanair...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Look at the terms and conditions of your ticket. It clearly states the point to point policy and that Ryanair take no reponsiblity for connections. Missed your connection? Tough **** - should have read the small print. Next time fork out that bit extra for a proper connection and stop complaining about an airline who are directly responsible for the plummeting airfares of the last decade. Some people are never happy.

P.S. Other airlines (Aer Lingus included) do that 'overestimating' the flight time thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

eth0_ wrote:
    Yes, Ryanair are notorious for doing this, i'm amazed they're allowed get away with it. I flew to Edinburgh with them about a month ago and the estimated flight time was nearly an hour, but it took just over half an hour.
    Yes, the cheek of them, offering a time-table with time to spare so that they can actually meet the arrival times.

Why can't they follow the rules like all the other airlines and tell you an arrival time that will be exactly right when everything is perfect and which they can miss abysmally on the 364 days a year when everything isn't perfect.

Next thing you know, the nasty nasty people will start charging €8 for a toasted ham & cheese roll instead of including an extra €100 on the price of your fare to pay for it whether you want it or not.

jonny68 wrote:
    True enough,although the people id spoken to who were not Irish and had never flown with them before were not to know this,

Where were they from 'jonny68', I see from Ryanair.com that the site is localised in the following langs. Deutsch, Svenska, Norsk, Dansk, Suomi, Italiano, Castellano, Catalá, Français, Dutch, Latviešu, Русский, Portuguese, English

I am sick of people compalining about Ryanair, if you do not like them or their service fly another airline. I am quite happy to take them on point to point flights at very good fares that I book in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

They do overestimate the time so that passengers are 'delighted' when the arrive 10 mins ahead of schedule......

I know someone who works in SNN airport and I've been told that Ryanair have been fined more times than any other airline for speeding on the runway while taxiiing to their takeoff and landing areas. They do it to save time..

Hey Por do yoo work for Ryanair or something sounds like it the way your going on?Im presuming you`ve never had any problems with them eh,i bet you a pound to a penny if you had the **** ive had over the years with them your attitude towards them would be completly different,Easyjet are similar to Ryanair how come ive NEVER had any problems at all with them then eh?i have flown over 12 airlines,and Ryanair rank as the worst by a country mile,no other airline comes close..rant over............. :eek:

jonny68 wrote:
    Hey Por do yoo work for Ryanair or something sounds like it the way your going on?Im presuming you`ve never had any problems with them eh,i bet you a pound to a penny if you had the **** ive had over the years with them your attitude towards them would be completly different,Easyjet are similar to Ryanair how come ive NEVER had any problems at all with them then eh?i have flown over 12 airlines,and Ryanair rank as the worst by a country mile,no other airline comes close..rant over............. :eek:

Point proven. So this is how it is with you lot.
    1. You think ryanair are shíte.
    2. Even though you think they are shíte, you complain about the problems youve ' had over the years with them'.

You continue to use a service that you are convinced represents poor value for money....why is that?

Because i fly regulary to Gatwick Airport and they are really the only airline that fly there regulary apart from BA who are streets ahead of Ryanair but unfortunately i cannot afford their prices...last Saturday was the straw that broke the camels back and i will in future fly to Heathrow or LCY it might cost me a bit more,and will add and extra hour or so onto my onward journey but enough is enough,i hope that answers your question....... :rolleyes:
    Eurorunner wrote:
    Point proven. So this is how it is with you lot.
    1. You think ryanair are shíte.
    2. Even though you think they are shíte, you complain about the problems youve ' had over the years with them'.

You continue to use a service that you are convinced represents poor value for money....why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

jonny68 wrote:
    BA who are streets ahead of Ryanair but unfortunately i cannot afford their prices
    So your complaint is that they are the only company providing the service you need at a price you can afford ?

Does it ever cross your mind that you may be expecting too much ?

You fly Ryanair, you pay bus fare, you get a flying bus. The experience is similar to Bus Eireann. The plane flies when its ready. It gets there when it gets there. No, there is no free food.

You want better, pay more.

jonny68 wrote:
    Hey Por do yoo work for Ryanair or something sounds like it the way your going on?:
    Was kinda expecting a line like that.
    No I don't work for Ryanair.
    jonny68 wrote:
    Im presuming you`ve never had any problems with them eh,i bet you a pound to a penny if you had the **** ive had over the years with them your attitude towards them would be completly different,:
    Have been delayed a few times, but nothing major
    jonny68 wrote:
    Easyjet are similar to Ryanair how come ive NEVER had any problems at all with them then eh?
    Never flown Easyjet

My expectations with Ryanair are low. I only fly Ryanair if the price (including the price of getting from the airport to the final location) is a good deal cheaper than other carriers flying direct to my destination. And also if Ryanair are flying direct to a location that other do not (e.g. Shannon - Paris).

People love to rant about Ryanair and how they do things, but look at what they have done to bring down air fares. And now all we need is a 2nd terminal at Dublin to accommodate them and other carriers.

they are really the only airline that fly there regulary apart from BA who are streets ahead of Ryanair but unfortunately i cannot afford their prices..

Decide what it is you want and be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

What sticks in my throat about Ryanair is the fact that they seem to treat customers with contempt.

I have had several unfortunate incidents when travelling with Ryanair from lost & damaged luggage to being stranded for 8hours with little by way of explaination or information.

Anytime I complained, politely - I might add, I've been treated with an attitude that as much as says 'if you're going to buy cheap flights with us, what do you expect...cheapo!', that DOES NOT constitute customer service, therefore I now fly easyjet from Belfast to get to my UK destinations.

• Advertisement

Well, at least your not a hypocrite. I have never flown easyjet but maybe i will get the opportunity once their irish flights start..

Other than being charged for excess baggage, i have never had problems with ryanair - although i know by the law of averages, that someday something will go wrong. In the meantime, i look forward to my 21 euro return all in , flight to brussels next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

jonny68 wrote:
    Because i fly regulary to Gatwick Airport and they are really the only airline that fly there regulary apart from BA who are streets ahead of Ryanair but unfortunately i cannot afford their prices...last Saturday was the straw that broke the camels back and i will in future fly to Heathrow or LCY it might cost me a bit more,and will add and extra hour or so onto my onward journey but enough is enough,i hope that answers your question....... :rolleyes:

It might come as a shock but other airlines are late and treat you badly these days as well. I had a total nightmare experience with Aer Lingus before, well worse than anything that happened with Ryanir. This despite paying the "premium" to fly with them.

Well im glad you havent had the misfortune of anything going with them...€21 to Brussels,thats surely not including taxes,etc right??
    Eurorunner wrote:
    Well, at least your not a hypocrite. I have never flown easyjet but maybe i will get the opportunity once their irish flights start..

Other than being charged for excess baggage, i have never had problems with ryanair - although i know by the law of averages, that someday something will go wrong. In the meantime, i look forward to my 21 euro return all in , flight to brussels next week.

De Hipster wrote:
    What sticks in my throat about Ryanair is the fact that they seem to treat customers with contempt.

I have had several unfortunate incidents when travelling with Ryanair from lost & damaged luggage to being stranded for 8hours with little by way of explaination or information.

Anytime I complained, politely - I might add, I've been treated with an attitude that as much as says 'if you're going to buy cheap flights with us, what do you expect...cheapo!', that DOES NOT constitute customer service, therefore I now fly easyjet from Belfast to get to my UK destinations.

What do you expect?

A far better service than the one they currently provide..just because they are a low cost carrier doesnt mean they have to provide a sub standard service.... :confused:
    penexpers wrote:
    What do you expect?

Im fully aware that other airlines can have delays,etc,no airline can be exempt from critism,however having flown a number of various airlines i can safely say that none of them are as remotely bad as Ryanair for delays and especially customer service...........
    penexpers wrote:
    It might come as a shock but other airlines are late and treat you badly these days as well. I had a total nightmare experience with Aer Lingus before, well worse than anything that happened with Ryanir. This despite paying the "premium" to fly with them.

jonny68 wrote:
    Im fully aware that other airlines can have delays,etc,no airline can be exempt from critism,however having flown a number of various airlines i can safely say that none of them are as remotely bad as Ryanair for delays and especially customer service...........

My Aer Lingus story:

Flight from Bologna Forli to Dublin. The weather was so hot in Bologna (!) that the plane couldn't take on enough fuel for the whole journey. (note that Ryanair planes were taking off with no such problems, it was Aer Lingus' fault for operating an aircraft that was too large for the length of the runway). So after the flight was boarded we had to sit for an hour on the tarmac. Eventually we take off. Land at Lyon to take on more fuel. Sit on the tarmac while not being allowed off the aircraft for two more hours. Evetually arrive in Dublin four hours late. Added to the fact the staff were extremely rude and there was no food on the flight, it was easily the worst experience I've had.

jonny68 wrote:
    A far better service than the one they currently provide..just because they are a low cost carrier doesnt mean they have to provide a sub standard service.... :confused:

How are they providing a sub standard service? They get you there mostly on time (according to the CAA, they are the most punctual airline), for alot less than what most other airlines charge. Some of their staff may not be the best but what difference does that really make in the grand scheme of things?

Well im glad you havent had the misfortune of anything going with them...€21 to Brussels,thats surely not including taxes,etc right??

Yes, thats inclusive of taxes, and all other charges. Furthermore, i lost my flight confirmation due to my hard drive crashing - was expecting to be put on hold for half an hour and have hassle in order to get the booking details off them. I rang their regular dublin no. (not the heavy charge/minute no.), got straight through without even hearing any of that 'your call is important to us but all support staff are busy' bull**** - all sorted out in a minute.

Apart from this trip, ryanair have made the following possible for me over the last couple of years:

numerous flights frankfurt -> shannon
    Once i booked tickets for myself and two friends for 50 euro inclusive - then booked the discounted hertz deal for feck all...
    Otherwise, trips to brussels, london and milan.

NONE of these would have been affordable to me without the existance of ryanair - and this example is probably the experience of thousands of others.

• Advertisement

Frankly i find that utterly amazing that you have got it for that price,i was under the impression that before you even booked a flight the taxes,etc were a minimum of €40..i once booked a flightto Glasgow Prestwick SIX months in advance and it came to €43 which is a good price no doubt,but €40 or so of that were actually taxes and charges,in fact every flight (that i can remember) no matter how cheap or how expensive always seems to have more or less the same amount in taxes and charges,so im astonished to see you`ve got a return flight to Frankfurt @ €21 all in,im utterly amazed in fact,the taxes alone have got to come to more than that..you might have had no problems with Ryanair over the years,but some of us have had nothing BUT problems,and as i said i have had enough,and will fly with BMI/City Jet or Aer Longus in future........ :confused:

Advertisement