Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub in limerick ?

Options
  • 29-09-2004 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Although technically not in the city i have 2 say the mill in annacotty
    place is always full at the weekend, normally have good music and nice
    scenery if u know what i mean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Have you tried that new place where Macs used to be ?. Mojo I think its called ?.

Other than that, I'd go with Smyths/Nevadas/Nancys but all have plenty of flaws.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Whichever one hands out free kevlar

Oh ho ho

<wipes tears from eyes>

Ahhh, never heard that one before :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mojo is OK, but its too bloody noisy (sh*te music)... can't have a decent conversation without shouting your head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

The mill doesn't count though. The Locke is by far the best pub in the city. The place is lovely, they've great music and the staff are the friendliest i've come across, regardless of the state you're in :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

yeah locke is nice allrite
    clements smiths on the dock road aint bad either
    its ciaran careys old place with a facelift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Ciaran Carey's is now Clement Smith's? I assume it's the same Clem Smith of Limerick-hurler-corner-back-that-will-eat-your-children fame?

I'm a big fan of Costelloes (upstairs) when I'm home. I'm not exactly crusty, but I always have a great laugh in there - great music, very relaxed atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The locke bar is the best place I have been to in Limerick to date. Smyths on denmark street is pretty crap, and the bouncers on the door are assholes.

I would go to Dolans on occasion but its not as good as the locke.

Punches on Punches Cross used to be good until they stopped bringing bands in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

ReefBreak wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Costelloes (upstairs) when I'm home. I'm not exactly crusty, but I always have a great laugh in there - great music, very relaxed atmosphere.

That's a club though. THe music is good though, except on saturday nights.

Yeah Costellos is a bit of a mad place, decor from 1940, crowd from 1980 :-) dont get me wrong thats all good in my book. Plus it has the only club in town that plays daaaaacent music like.

Russells in Raheen is nice, better then the Unicorn, but really only for a few quiet ones before heading into town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

The Mill is nice during the day, but when it fills up its a PITA. If the bouncers are out, better off going to the 'Swan. As for town itself: Quinns (gay pub, whatever, yadda yadda), The 'Stool and Costelloes. Kennedy O'Briens used to be good fun, but its been a couple of years since I ventured there. And if you're ever out by the hospital, the Unicorn is a nice watering hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

i really like the high stool, its kind of like my cheers, (where everybody knows your name, etcetc)
    but it depends on what youre into. molly's isnt too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

what about Charlies is that still there? used to be a lovely barman...

Charlie Chaplins on Cruises Street or Charley Saint George near the railway station, Both are still there

Cruises St. that's the one I think! used to go out in Limerick for rag week bout 5 yrs ago.. think Docs was the nite club we went to.. :confused:

Chaplins is a grand pub. Docs is gone though, now a rockers bar called the High Stool and is a complete kip now.

oh! haven't been out in Limerick in years, suppose all the lads are finished college now so no point in going! was good old spot alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

docs is now called trinity rooms. theyve put a stage in there for gigs, saw Ash there last week... deadly

thie high stool is a different place entirely. thats in catherine street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭moby2101

Aye,
    the Locke is a great bar, The White House on O'Connell St and Clohessys, Nancys are all up there ...
    So many Pubs so little time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Limerick has the most arrogant and ignorant doorstaff in ireland!
    Im a limerick city man born and bred and im fed up of the same old rubbish every weekend!
    I would recommend the unicorn in raheen,russels is ok too.
    City center id recommend the "new" molly malones or pier 1 for a quiet pint.

• Advertisement

your right about the bouncers. The ones at smyths and Trinity rooms are the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

The Wicked Chicken was the best pub in limerick when it was open, great drunken days. Its re-opened now as "the slammer", pretty much the same decor, and still no TV, which is a huge thumbs up in my book, TVs in pubs piss me off. Its up in Baker Place.
    Mickey Martins is a nice pub too, but they tend to blast music at unneccessarily high volume in the evenings for such a small place*, making conversation impossible, it does tend to be excellent music though.

[edit] The new upstairs room in costelloes is crazy, very "two man enter one man leave" :D, nice to be able to have a smoke without standing out in the rain like a pariah.

*this may be a sign i'm getting too old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

Molly's is my favourite, usually go there before heading to Trinity Rooms or The Icon / Mór Disco. Charlie Chaplins is cool too.

For the students, you won't go far wrong with The Stables or (my spiritual home) The Scholars. But technically they're not pubs, they're members' clubs.

Do they still have the electronic toilet roll dispencers in the Schollars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Another vote for the Locke.
    Although, whenever im back in limerick i like going to Racks (beside Highstool - another good spot) and chilling out playing pool while boozing. Cant beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

IM gonna have to go with the wicked chicken! A friend of mine has taken the lease and hes hoping to turn it into an alterative student pub. Im sick of all the same stuff all over limerick. Hes planning on opening up the nightclub down stairs soon so Im looking forward to that and also if anyone is around tonight hes holding a mud wrestling competition 1 fella vs 2 girls and all competitors get 5 free drinks. Kicks off around 9 of anyones intrested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eagerbeaver

Well I think the Bank is nice especially if you want a chat and a relaxed atmosphere - music missing though, prob why its best to chat in. The Ole Quarter is good also plenty of talent as well as good tunes to listen, only drawback is the crowd sizes tend to make you resemble that of a sardine in a tin type scenario. The final shout would be for the new Shibins (prob fxxked up the spelling but hey) downstairs in Nestors. They have gr8 Irish Rebel type bands - best being the Boatmen, again the downside is it gets a bit on the crowded side plus the bar staff are fairly crappy service-wise as well.

Overall Im not a gr8 fan of Lmk bars or Lmk in general even though Im a West Limerick Man myself - Bouncers are all A-holes, bars are full of loud-mouthed arrogant w**nkers - all in all avoid the place if you can - only go cos its the best of a bad choice of going out venues within a 40 to 60mile radius.

I would agree about the bouncers they can be tossers, specially the ones at smyths and trinity rooms. what harm smyths is a crap bar.

The boatmen are a laugh when they do gigs and they're great for getting drunk and singing along, the still don't know luke kelly's song for ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

How about Torloughs bar on the top of William Street good atmosphere fine porter and good trad gigs and Peter O Malley one of Limericks most underrated entertainers. Only place i know you can get burger chip and a pint for round a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Starting to fill up with knacks. The mill was nice when it first opened but there have been a lot of cases of people getting thumped around the place outside it. Also the youngfellas from monaleen....

Advertisement