Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunder and Lightning

Options
  • 22-10-2003 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't this thunder and Lightning great :D . I am lying in bed sick at the moment and all I can hear is hail stones, thunder and lightning, a few dogs barking and a few car alarms going. The place feels really bad outside while I'm in here watching telly and eating my goodies.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Aye, nothing like a good thunderstorm.

Pity there's no sign of one in Galway...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

TEH GODS AER DISPLEASED!!!

Dublin Airport is shut down apparently.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No - it's awful! The incompetent fcukers at Irish Rail had a signalling problem AGAIN (they had one yesterday evening, delaying me by 30 mins) so I had to go in the thunder and lightning to wait for a bus and got into work late! And I was consistently woken up during the night by it so I'm wrecked. Great?! How about awful :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Dammit! I'm missing out! I love thunderstorms. Great to watch at night when you're all warm and cozy indoors.
    Hopefully when I'm back home in Dublin at the weekend it'll be stormy. Westmeath is just cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Nothin quite as cool as sittin out watchin a mediterranian thunder storm. Manificent. Well until it's starts rainin so hard it hurts then you have to settle for the hotel balcony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

It'd certainly be cool to sit in bed and listen to it - but it's no fun getting about.

Can anyone remember such a long thunderstorm before? I'm in Dublin and it's been going for hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

The thunder and lightening is fantastic!!

It'd be nicer if I was at home with a roaring fire and hot chocolate than working in a boring office!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

/me jealous. It's just cloudy and cold in Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by misswex
    The thunder and lightening is fantastic!!

It'd be nicer if I was at home with a roaring fire and hot chocolate than working in a boring office!!!!!!!!
    Nice idea.;) Altough the tunderstorm appears to be over where i am anyway.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I love lightning storms .... especially when the thunder sounds like it's trying to rip the sky appart!!

I hate the feckin' rain though .... went out on lunch & got pished on :mad: .... and what makes it worse was I sat in the deli for lunch [so I could eat my lunch whilst it was warm] & they fecking charged me €3.00 extra ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

:D Fecking cool day out!!
    LOVE Thunderstorms Proper Bo i tell thee...

Oh yeah back to the gods being displeased....what the hell did you guys do ;).

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

first lightening i saw was at 7 yesterday and last i saw today was at 12 so thats a hmmm 17 hour long thunder storm :O (at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I'm out in blanchardstown in work there is snow outside ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

no sign of any thunder and lighting in cork :( :mad:

as sandi said hopefully there'll be more at the wk end in dublin while im back there!!!

well then if the thunder gods are angry why don't we just just march to one of the outlying villages outside dublin raise it to the ground burn there crops and sacrafice them to appese the thunder gods anger?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah it was class... i was driving into dublin last night about 12ish from the midlands and I could see the lightening in the distance.. twas class...

And all last night and this morning.. was cool to watch..
    Nothin quite as cool as sittin out watchin a mediterranian thunder storm. Manificent. Well until it's starts rainin so hard it hurts then you have to settle for the hotel balcony!

Saw a class lightening storm a few years back in france, could see if coming from miles away out at sea..

Sat back with a nice cool drink and watched it for hours coming in
    over the sea, then a small strip of land that seperated the lake from the sea, then the lake itself and finally pass overhead..

Class way to relax and spend an evening.. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by AL][EN
    well then if the thunder gods are angry why don't we just just march to one of the outlying villages outside dublin raise it to the ground burn there crops and sacrafice them to appese the thunder gods anger?

Ya mean somewhere like Navan or Balbriggan and Bray..

Count me in

*Pitchfork at the ready...*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

There's nothing like looking down on a thunderstorm from an airplane. Saw a fantastic one a few weeks ago coming back from hols, it was beautiful. Everyone on the plane moved over to the one side to see it - I'm surprised the plane didn't lean over as there were so many people looking at it.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Originally posted by viking
    There's nothing like looking down on a thunderstorm from an airplane.

Now id say THAT would be cool id say id love to have seen that!

ToxicPaddy aaaaa im not pushed so long as the thunder gods are pleased!! if you have a preference then sure we can go for Navan or Balbriggan or Bray :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you come near balbriggan to sacrifice me I'll be waitimg for ye with me sharpened teaspoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Sarky
    Aye, nothing like a good thunderstorm.

Pity there's no sign of one in Galway...:(

Not a sausage just blue sky's. Worst I ever saw was travelling from Boston to New york by car. Had to pull in at the side of the road as you couldnt see 2 feet in front of you. Lightning was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

It's fcuking freezing in galway though. I had to switch the airconditioning over to heat.

Does anybody else notice you have to turn the shower up to a number higher every morning so it's hot enough?
    The ice age is coming! :eek:

Originally posted by Funky
    first lightening i saw was at 7 yesterday and last i saw today was at 12 so thats a hmmm 17 hour long thunder storm :O (at least)
    its still going here in D2.

Originally posted by patch
    Does anybody else notice you have to turn the shower up to a number higher every morning so it's hot enough?
    The ice age is coming! :eek:
    Yeah, I noticed during the summer that I could bairly hack the shower on the lowest level, now I have to put it up a lot higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

weather is gone nuts because we're polluting the earth and mother nature is displeased.
    next the seas will rise and we'll have to call kevin costner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best lightning I ever saw?

Travelling up the side of a canyon in a jeep, in Moab National Park in Utah.. A fork of lighning landed in the basin of the canyon we were travelling up, about three hundred feet away from us.. Amazing sight/sound/experience, but not uncommon out there..

You can wealk travel around the canyons and see the results of many lighning strikes.. Blackened rocks/patches of ground, etc..

Great place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Aye tis great...I haven't seen actual fork lightning in Ireland b4...
    lightning has been hitting the big RTE mast in Dublin again and again...theres some huge rolls of thunder.....best thunder storm for years imo:) :ninja:it went on for hours.. to bad its over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I was standing on Donabate beach one stormy night - about 3am I think it was - as I was on my way home from work. A lightning storm had come along the motorway with me as I'd driven there, displaying arcs of electricity across the road ahead like a jagged white rainbow which lit my way as most of the roadside lighting had failed. It was stunning. It was a wild night.

I stood on the beach watching more lightning strikes hit the Irish Sea in quick succession as another storm moved along the water in a northerly direction. A few strikes hit further in towards the land. As I walked back up to my car, which was parked in the small little car park area at the bottom of the hill by the Martello tower at the start of the beach, I stopped to take a final look around and I heard a sudden thunderous rumbling just up ahead. What I saw next indelibly imprinted itself on my brain.

A massive lightning strike hit the Martello tower which was no more than 5 yards away from me. The strike may have lasted less than half a second but it seemed to me in that freeze-framed moment in time to go on for - oooh- at least 20 - 30 seconds. After standing stock still in shock for what really was 20 - 30 seconds, I thought I might as well make my move for home.

--

Thunder/Lightning storms are fun. They're nature showing what it can do... the planet showing that it's alive and kicking... the clouds in the sky not getting along... you get the picture.

How many times have I said it recently... "well we had a great summer... we can't complain too much..."

feck that, I love the Winter time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It kept me up all ****ing night. My room overlooks the Wicklow mountains so every time the lightening struck my room would flash white. When I finally got some kip, I was awoken two hours later by even more thunder. On the plus side my lift to college is a scared learner who wouldn't drive in it, so I got a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Yeah winter time rocks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Very Very Frightning...:eek:

Advertisement