Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Played in the pig and porter tag rugby tournament earlier today but watching that match took more out of me! Fantastic battling display but ultimately our fowards just cant score freely from play which has been the problem all year. Michael Ryan deserves another year, think he has done a fantastic job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What a performance from the team. We lacked it in the forwards a bit but they all gave it everything, and I know they'll all be gutted tonight. If Shane Walsh was fit even we'd have won the game. Now, just add Stephen Daniels, Brian O'Halloran and Paudi Mahony to that list not forgetting Gavin O Brien who would have been a good sub to have.

As was so wisely said here before, the short game does breakdown and it's frustrating when it does but it was excellent ot watch our passing from it too that made most of our scores. We didn't get a huge score but each score was finely crafted, and I think the players deserve great credit for that. The defense was immense yet again, with great displays from Connors, Shane Fives and even though Kilkenny cleverly deployed Richie Power to flick the ball away from Brick, he still had a big impact and we won a lot of breaks in the first half of it. Nagle also had a very impressive game, but I thought Liam Lawlor was excellent and that it was the best game he's had in a Waterford jersey with the second best being against Kilkenny in 2011. Really grew into it and his use of the ball is brilliant.

Richie Foley had a great start and hurled well until he ran out of steam, great credit to him. Darragh Fives was probably our best player for a lot of that game and again picking up a knock forced him out of it. Moran grew into it more and more and his points and the end were just class, real leadership when it was needed. Shane Sully was the best of the forwards I felt but he was ably assisted by the others they worked hard, things didn't run for some but Kilkenny have a great backline.

Also, Ray Barry at that age to come in and score 1-3 against Kilkenny was some display, and really great to see. SOK too, while there was puckouts we'd consider 'bad' or whatever, I would still prefer that and the success we did have with some brilliant exectuion from them quite often to just lumping the ball up and having pucked back down and not being able to keep it pucked out to Kilkenny. And also two saves, the second a fantastic save and a great catch in first half of extra time under the crossbar.

It was as good a display I've seen against Kilkenny from us, sickening not to come out with the result but this year will stand to these lads yet and well I guess moral victories suck but they made me once again delighted to be from Waterford and associated with them in anyway possible. Last of all, that crowd was unbelieveable. Official attendance was just 17,000 (the boys in Semple must have some sessions with the money they're taking off the top :pac:) and if it was it must be the loudest 17,000 ever heard in such a big stadium. And I would hazard a guess that we outnumbered the rest, certainly judging by the terrace which was quite empty but of what was there it was a bust of white shirts with they odd yellow and yeelow and black to be seen. Fairplay lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,886 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

lads played very well pity we didnt win, never heard the kilkenny crowd so quite . This year will stand to us

possibly we have seen the last of Tony Browne and Seamus Prendergast in the Waterford jersey and possibly the Brick Walsh too.

hopefully the minors can win tomorrow and if so we have a perfect chance to get to the all ireland minor final (we will be playing Antrim or Laois in the semi).

Anyone knw where i can watch extra time my (like possibly everyother recording lol) ran out

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

in fairness to the management they did throw everything at them.

only thing i can really complain about is, why the fe*k wasn't Browne on sooner.

he was bursting to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Hslaw wrote: »
    in fairness to the management they did throw everything at them.

only thing i can really complain about is, why the fe*k wasn't Browne on sooner.

he was bursting to go
    couldn't bring him on really unless someone got injured, the backs were playing superb and darragh fives was flying at midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

That display Brick put in from 55 to 70 mins is up there with anything I've ever seen from a Waterford hurler. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

what can i say im an emotional wreck after that. of all the years im following the deise this game was right up there.

Its a weird feeling I feel as low as a snakes belly after the result knowing that they were there for the taking but at the same time after being written off and written off and written off I feel immensely proud of the lads and how they performed. im the last person in the world to buy into moral victories but tonight it is comforting to know that we are here and here to stay. we will never again see the bad old days and heres hoping the minors and u21s can do themselves justice in the next week.

really excited about the future again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Absolutely sick, really was one that got away. But as gutted as I am, I'm delighted with the performance put in by all the lads, they actually threw the kitchen sink at it and even then some more.
    Lawlor had his best game in a Waterford jersey, Moran, both Fives, Brick, SOK, Dillon were all excellent. I can't think of one player who didn't get stuck in and do well.

The game plan was perfect I think, we executed it very well at times with some lovely passing movements picking out spare men and runners, which resulted in scores. After we got the second goal, we needed he next score but KK went up the other end instantly and pointed and then again IIRC. That was the killer blow.

Ryan and the backroom team deserve another year and with a few people who were missing to come back the panel will be stronger. Great to see so many young lads not only get a run but also do well - Barron, Barry, Paudie Prender (hope MON is ok).
    Well done lads, ye gave it a serious lash. We'll be back next year, we always are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

SOK too, while there was puckouts we'd consider 'bad' or whatever, I would still prefer that and the success we did have with some brilliant exectuion from them quite often to just lumping the ball up and having pucked back down and not being able to keep it pucked out to Kilkenny. .

I thought the puck out strategy and the general play avoidance of high ball to the KK half back line worked very well - great to see such thought and execution going into this. I counted one ball that Brian Hogan plucked out of the air all night.
    This sort of tactical awareness and the great fight this team showed is what gives me hope for the next few years ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Well played Waterford, it's not much consolation I know but your lads gave everything tonight, they left nothing on the pitch. Some silly handling errors at times and a few bad wides, but also some decent passages play of times with great displays from Darragh Fives, Noel Connors, Kevin Moran, Jake Dillon and Liam Lawlor. I was also impressed with Richie Foley and that Barry lad that came on as sub. Problem tonight was too many of your forwards weren't up to scratch - I was greatly disappointed with Maurice Shanahan and Bryan O Sullivan hit some stupid wides. Not quite sure what the idea behind placing Predergast at FF as part of a two man inside line was - he was totally wasted there. Ryan needed to either play him at 11 or not bother with him at all.

You are a team very much in transition so only so much can be expected from the squad this year. There's lot to work with and a Munster title is definitely within reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Finally got home about 01:00, asleep just before 02:00 and up at 05:15 for work this morning so here I sit, wrecked in every conceivable way!

I'm still so gutted. The lads hurled magnificently. I couldn't fault one of the back 9 in any way, shape or form - they really were top class. Special mention to Shane Fives, Liam Lawlor and Jamie Nagle and then Moran when he moved into midfield.

Darragh Fives was a colossus in midfield. He's some man to come onto a ball and showed tremendous skill to twist and turn his way into open space for his long-range points. Likewise, Richie Foley who was excellent and really gave us a great start.

The forwards are where we just fell a little short. I thought Jake Dillon did great again. Seamus was willing all night but it didn't really work out too well and he missed a couple of very easy scoring chances which could have made a big difference. Maurice was very disappointing. This was a game for him to show his class but it didn't happen for him. I personally think he's wasted in at full forward or in the corner anyway so maybe that didn't help. He seems to be a confidence player so I'd start him somewhere where he can get his hands on the ball early but that's neither here nor there now. The other forwards did ok without setting the world alight. Ray Barry was fantastic when he came on. Fair play to that young lad.

We showed great spirit to come back in the way we did and we kept on fighting to the end. We had a game plan and executed it pretty well, I thought. I'm very happy with what Ryan's done with this team and think it'd be a shame to see him replaced now. Give him a couple of years and see what he can do with this current crop. Hopefully all the national talk of Waterford's demise will be halted now that they see what a promising future we have. These young lads don't seem fazed by the step up and they can only push on in the next couple of years.

So. this morning, I'm bitterly disappointed, emotionally and physically drained but immensely proud of what the lads did yesterday. Well done to each and every one of them and the management team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Sad to see us out of the championship but just am so proud of the players after leaving every ounce of fight they had on the pitch, they just never gave up. The backs in particular were absolutely immense ( I couldn't name one out as they were all LEGENDS) and they stuck to the plan of not just skying high balls out into the KK defence. Yes while it looks bad when it doesn't come off (Liam Lawlors ball going out over the sideline in extra time) it takes amazing courage and skill under pressure to always look to find a man & keep trying to do the right thing even under immense pressure. "Moral courage, Bill" as mssrs Dunphy and Giles would call it. They kept doing it right to the final whistle.

We are missing a little bit of cutting edge in the forwards, what a difference Mullane would have made last night, felt sorry for Maurice last night, things didn't work out for him, but was v happy with performances of Jake Dillon & Ray Barry, in fairness they all did their absolute best which is all you can ask for. The subs kept up the fight in the energy sapping heat ( was melting in the stands so must have been some heat on the pitch)

Credit also to Kilkenny for their part in a thriller, they kept going as well when things didn't go their way, they like us are missing a couple of forwards at this stage but their backs like ours are amazing, we will rarely have as good a chance as last night to beat them, 1959 is getting further and further away but the hope is there that some of these players can look to change the record against KK and finally put that hoodoo to rest.

Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Martin O'Neill looks to have a serious knee injury. Best Wishes to him in his recovery. I've no doubt he'll come back stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭celt262

Hard luck lads just seen the extra time but what a save by the keeper at the end, you will be back stronger next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Anyone know where this can be seen online? So much happened at the game I really want to see it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Are WLR doing live commentary on the minor match lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Cake Man wrote: »
    Are WLR doing live commentary on the minor match lads?

Yes, best of luck to them this should be a cracker.

what time is throw in ? is the senior game on at 2pm or 4pm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

4pm for the senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Hard luck to the boys but a great display put on and all of them and management team must be congratulated. Heads can be held high. KK have to be applauded too as they dug out their victory. Realistically lads we dominated first 15 and last 10 but for the rest and extra time KK had the upperhand. KK made some bad decisions when near goal and left us in the game and we nearly caught them, although refs call on full time was very harsh. Darragh Fives and Kevin Moran immense and 1-3 from Ray Barry superb

coverage of the minors starting at 1:30 on wlr

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

are rte or tv3 showing the minor game online no??
    Also, some spirit shown by a very young and inexperienced waterford team yesterday, dat game will bring on the likes of dillon, barron, barry, the 2 fives massively! Future is bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Match report here. Come on the Minors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Had to come on here today to congratulate Waterford on a wonderful performance and a well executed game plan,the mighty efforts of D fives,Brick Walsh and the unbelievable Kevin Moran didn't deserve to finish on the losing side but very proud of the way our lads kept responding to every setback.Genuinely feel sorry for Waterford fans who have had more than their fair share of heartbreak and hope your day will come soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Minors lead 0-4 to 0-1 after 8 mins

• Advertisement

0-8 to 0-4 after 18 mins

0-11 to 0-7

bennett penalty saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

11 to 7 now

HT 0-12 to 0-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Goal for Stephen Bennet
    1-12 to 0-9

• Advertisement

f**k

a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

2-19 to 2-19
    Replay it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

6 point lead wasnt long vanishing in the last few minutes of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Chinpool wrote: »
    2-19 to 2-19
    Replay it is

Do we get home advantage for the replay final?

Cruel but at least they've another day out. Sounds like Cian Leamy played relly well, but looks like e tired badly. Robbery of a sort though to have led with a reasonable margin for most of the game. But again it's not a defeat. And might be no bad thing. They're not going to be in Limerick again for the replay with that crowd against them so in fairness that will help.

The extra game will bring Limerick on of course, but we're well capable of beating them. I'd imagine the protocol is that a replay would be in a neutral venue, but to be honest I think it should be in Walsh Park given the lads had to go down to Limerick today.

Would we get home advantage for the replay?

Also..are the u21 hurlers on wednesday? and where's it on aswel..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Also..are the u21 hurlers on wednesday? and where's it on aswel..

Thursday in Walsh park!

Do we have an outside chance of getting the replay at home, because we did travel to Limerick today? Or will that be disregarded because that match is just played wherever the senior is, which happened to be Limerick..
    Praying for a Waterford venue :P

deise_girl wrote: »
    Thursday in Walsh park!

Do we have an outside chance of getting the replay at home, because we did travel to Limerick today? Or will that be disregarded because that match is just played wherever the senior is, which happened to be Limerick..
    Praying for a Waterford venue :P
    Thanks! Would be cool if they played before or after the u21 game on thursday but that's only wishful thinking! need more than 4 days to recover from those heat conditions today

• Advertisement

There's only been two drawn Munster Finals in the history of the Minor championship, both were at neutral venues the first time (the second was Waterford at 92) and so were neutral venues the last time.

I guess the GAA are all about getting a crowd at the games, the best way to do that would probably be home and away (hence the way it works in the previous rounds) even if it a Munster Final. I've had a prompt change of heart and I think it will be in Waterford, looking at alternatives it might be in Mallow or Pairc Ui Rinn, or maybe Holycross but I don't think it will be.

Ah lads that referee is a joke, no way in a million years that's a red card. How in gods name could he get selected for a munster final after his performances this year

Replay is provionally down for Tues 26 with no venue or time mentioned! Its very subject to change though with all details to be announced later today :)

Replay is provionally down for Tues 26 with no venue or time mentioned! Its very subject to change though with all details to be announced later today :)
    26th is a friday?

26th is a friday?

Sorry the 23rd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Great effort from the minors today and really should have won. Thought we were comfortably the better side throughout though perhaps guilty of going for goals when a point was easier option.

Maybe it's my biased Deise hat but I thought ref was unbelievably harsh on us. Had no problem blowing up when we overcarried yet both Limerick goals resulted from players significantly overccarrying yet no free out either time. Either ref was unable to apply the rule fairly and consistently or he was swayed by the Limerick terrace.

Would be very confident we will finish job in the replay, the injustice of today should motivate the lads even more.

doz wrote: »
    Great effort from the minors today and really should have won. Thought we were comfortably the better side throughout though perhaps guilty of going for goals when a point was easier option.

Maybe it's my biased Deise hat but I thought ref was unbelievably harsh on us. Had no problem blowing up when we overcarried yet both Limerick goals resulted from players significantly overccarrying yet no free out either time. Either ref was unable to apply the rule fairly and consistently or he was swayed by the Limerick terrace.

Would be very confident we will finish job in the replay, the injustice of today should motivate the lads even more.
    Who played well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Who played well?

I think overall it was a great team effort and we really should have won. Gleeson and Shane Bennett were excellent as was Colm Roche. Full backs generally solid, maybe tired towards end. DJ Foran chipped in with some good scores. Didn't get our full forward line as involved as we would have hoped though they looked dangerous throughout. I expect we will see more of Paddy Curran in replay and believe we will win.

• Advertisement

Thurles surely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement