Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour & IFA fight the carbon tax

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

This post has been deleted.
    Your argument is so bizarre and abstract I really don't know what to say.

The science of climate change is incredibly complex and beyond even most masters-level students. You would need at least a degree in physics, if not more to understand the greater detail of it. Nevertheless, the basic tenets of the idea can be understood by someone who doesn't even have Junior Certificate Science. Moreover, as I have said quite a few times at this stage, I can teach you the principles of sustainability in 5 minutes.

You are trying to make some obscure link between the Green Party's Irish Policy and lack of Science in 3rd Level institutions, even though you have established ZERO connection between this and public attitudes to climate change and other environmental issues.. You just keep trotting out the same line over and over like a broken record. Moreover, you're now also dismissing any connection between public educational programmes like Power of One and environmental behaviour!

So, to you use your own words: I'm not remotely convinced.

Oh and I'm still waiting for your proof that voluntary actions will save the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

No you haven't, you've claimed it's a "fairly obvious connection" between all these things but if it's so obvious, you'll find it quite easy to provide some evidence for it. And then to connect this to people's apathy to climate change, the basic tenets of which can be easily understood by watching a 90 minute film or by doing a Junior Certificate Science course!

I am still waiting for evidence of that connection! And evidence of how the changes you advocate will result in greater levels of voluntary action on climate change. I don't even want to count back now how many times I've asked for evidence.

Oh and within schools there is the Green Schools programme that educates students on all environmental issues, including climate change and ECO-UNESCO is a big player in ESD in Irish schools. SEAI is also involved in this area as is the EPA.
    Of course religious class should be gotten rid of! How that connects to climate change? Well, I'm waiting for the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

taconnol wrote: »
    Good for you. Some of us do care.
    Having spent 9 months living in a cabin on the fringes of the Alaska range, I care more about the environment than you might think. I just don't want to try and save it by expanding an already huge state and by instituting further taxes and ambiguous behavioural controls that aren't guaranteed to work. Perhaps I'm being naive but I think of other government sponsored mass-behavioural modification programs that haven't worked- the war on drugs is the first to spring to mind.

Valmont wrote: »
    I just don't want to try and save it by expanding an already huge state and by instituting further taxes and ambiguous behavioural controls that aren't guaranteed to work. Perhaps I'm being naive but I think of other government sponsored mass-behavioural modification programs that haven't worked- the war on drugs is the first to spring to mind.
    As I said earlier, I recognise that expanding the involvement of the state is something people are uncomfortable with. I just don't think the alternatives being proposed here have anything to back them up. Today's version of capitalism does not place a value on the irreplaceable services that nature provides us. Until such time as it does, we will continue to exploit our natural resources and effectively reduce the carrying capacity of this planet.

As for government-led initiatives on environmental matters, there have been a number of successes, including the regulation and phasing out of CFCs, vast improvement in Dublin, Limerick and Cork's air-quality with the introduction of smoke control fuel. Levels were above the 98th percentile in the 1980s but have now stabilised well below that threshold. These are just two examples off the top of my head - there are many, many more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Valmont wrote: »
    I just don't want to try and save it by expanding an already huge state and by instituting further taxes and ambiguous behavioural controls that aren't guaranteed to work.
    Irish Greens do not favour large government, rather they favour moving taxation from income taxes to consumption and pollution taxes. By necessity this involves the creation of new taxes and the winners and losers that changes to tax systems always produce. Populist parties would not normally introduce changes to taxes even where there are more winners than losers as they know the electoral dangers.

Right now is a golden age for the greens in Ireland. The country is in a financial crisis and has realised that its tax take is far lower than in other European countries. Knowing that raising income and corporate taxes is the worst thing to do in a recession, FF is receptive to new green taxes that they can blame on their coalition partners. Income taxes in Ireland are already at a very low level:
    42715800Figure-0.1.jpg
    This is an OECD graph is from 2008 but even with the new income levies, our ranking is not changed. Lenihan has made clear that marginal tax rates will not increase any further. FF has agreed to remove the regressive elemnet from the income tax code (the PRSI ceiling) next year when PRSI and levies are replaced with a universal progressive charge.

Corporate tax is also very low with 12.5% for most companies and a new 0% rate for companies started this year or last year. The combination of low income and corporate taxes is a great incentive to do business here.

So now we have carbon tax, high VAT, emissions based car taxes, high excise duties and we're getting water tax, site valuation/property tax, rezoning windfall gains tax, incineration and landfill levies, even chewing gum tax. The recommendations of the commission on taxation report from last year were absolutely in line with green policy.

Government already controls many aspects of people's lives. The green party is socially liberal and generally is in favour of a loosening of state control over people's behaviour - so long as that behaviour does not greatly affect others and so long as people are willing to pay for the costs of their actions.
    Perhaps I'm being naive but I think of other government sponsored mass-behavioural modification programs that haven't worked- the war on drugs is the first to spring to mind.
    The greens are generally in favour of decriminalisation of drugs and a move towards a harm reduction policy. They have advocated use of cautions for small amounts of cannabis as a first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I agree with a carbon tax, in principle. The priviso should be that carbon-free alternative options should be in place first and that the scheme to help offest costs for poorer people is also in place. This clearly isn't the case. And one must ask why this isn't the case. I e-mailed Dan Boyle and several other Green Party members over a month ago asking what provisions would be in place to aid poorer people when the tax is applied - none of them responded. Now I appreciate they may have been busy or whatever, but that is very poor form on such an important issue. Even a simple link to some info would've sufficed.

One can't help but feel that this is simply "a new tax". A regressive one at that. I am happy to be corrected on anything, but even looking beyond the FF spin, the Green Party have failed to impress me with their approach to this issue.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I agree with a carbon tax, in principle. The priviso should be that carbon-free alternative options should be in place first and that the scheme to help offest costs for poorer people is also in place.
    If you read back through this thread, I have specified a number of times the measures that are in place to help with fuel poverty. A recent Bord Gais report also came to the conclusion that there are significant measures that help with fuel poverty. The ESRI estimates the average cost per household to be €2-€3 per week.

As for it being a new tax, as dynamick has pointed out above, we have been very dependent on cyclical taxes and need to replace these with more stable forms of taxation. Income tax has declined steadily, business tax is low and a carbon tax is one of the options for replacing these rapidly dwindling sources of taxation.

I don't know. I don't feel I have to answer for him. I've already stated the measures quite clearly a number of times. The above is referring to new measures and I don't know anything about them but I do know that €50m from the carbon tax has been ringfenced to go into the SEAI Warmer Homes Scheme, in addition to the significant funding the scheme already receives.

And I'm still waiting for you evidence of the connection between science education and voluntary efforts on climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

taconnol wrote: »
    If you read back through this thread, I have specified a number of times the measures that are in place to help with fuel poverty. A recent Bord Gais report also came to the conclusion that there are significant measures that help with fuel poverty. The ESRI estimates the average cost per household to be €2-€3 per week.

As for it being a new tax, as dynamick has pointed out above, we have been very dependent on cyclical taxes and need to replace these with more stable forms of taxation. Income tax has declined steadily, business tax is low and a carbon tax is one of the options for replacing these rapidly dwindling sources of taxation.

It's also worth asking why attention is focused on the carbon tax, when carbon tax is a very small component of the tax on fuels.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

BluntGuy wrote: »
    ..the scheme to help offest costs for poorer people is also in place. This clearly isn't the case...
    The home heating levy was delayed since the start of the year to allow a grace period of 1 winter, while car fuels went up right away. I doubt much home heating oil is used in summer. The window is open beside me now.

The winter fuel allowance scheme for 2010/2011 has not been announced yet but it will be more generous than in previous years. A third of a million homes received winter fuel allowances of €20/week last winter. A third of a million homes received free electricity units last winter. Supplementary welfare benefits are payable to families in exceptional need. The 'warmer homes scheme' insulated 15,000 low income houses last year while the 'home energey savings scheme' will do 100,000 houses each year.

Unfortunately, a third of our housing stock was thrown up n the last 15 years under governments that allowed ludicrously poor insulation standards. The greens even managed to have new building insulation standard changed in Dun Laoghaire during the previous government but were over-ruled by the then minister of the environment, Dick Roache who wrote that making new homes well insulated would be 'too onerous' for builders.
    Nobody in the green party will defend Éamon Ó Cuív. This man has been the primary proponent of dispersed housing and long distance commuting since 1997. He devised a bs romantic philosophy of the ancient right of the Irishman to drive 100km to work and have 7 bedrooms and spend his weekends in retail parks. Then he went around the country peddling the idea that urban dwellers should return to the countryside and drive everywhere to rediscover their heritage. He meant well but he did a lot of harm, particularly to the viability of rural villages and towns in the areas that he hoped to help.

The point has been made that these measures do not need to be implemented until we are closer to next winter.
    This is not true for gas. According to SEAI's latest report:
    In purchasing power parity terms, Ireland is cheaper in all gas consumption bands for domestic consumers, ranging from 15% to 30% below the EU average.

The winter fuel allowance scheme pays out money in the winter. This is when it is cold and people have to put the heating on. The fuel allowance scheme starts paying out in October. News of the new scheme will be announced before then.

The price of home heating oil swings easily by 40% one way or the other depending on world demand. The carbon tax is 4.3%. Labour is just flapping its arms.

When Labour gains power with Fine Gael, as it probably will, it will be in the difficult situation of having to choose between introducing further cuts or sinking the economy Greek-style. My bet is that they won't last more than a year in government.

Advertisement