Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I bitch about bandwagoners.

But my definition of the word is different to what has been expressed here.

To me a bandwagoner is someone along for the ride, the party and the booze. Someone who doesn't give a pish about the sport but latches onto it because it's cool. If MMA wasn't cool but tiddlywinks was they would follow that. If McGregor retired tomorrow they would sell their suits and dickie-bows on eBay on Friday.

There is a big difference between a new fan and a bandwagoner.

Girls running around at the minute with tricolours painted on their cheeks cheering on the Irish rugby team even though they don't even watch the games are bandwagoners.

Bandwagoners annoy me. New fans don't.

We were all new fans once. We were not all bandwagoners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

"I'd first like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour, etc..."

Tilts me every Fecking time, especially when said by Benson Henderson (don't know why him in particular, it must be that deep booming voice :confused:)

Also the usual Rogan ****e "THat has to be the greatest knockout in the history of the sport", "That has to be best fight i've ever seen...ever!!!"etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

"I'd first like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour, etc..."

Tilts me every Fecking time, especially when said by Benson Henderson (don't know why him in particular, it must be that deep booming voice :confused:)

Did you see the time Benson Henderson proposed to his (extremely average btw) girlfriend after a fight? It was another uninspiring decision win, the crowd were booing like hell. It was one of the corniest most embarrassing things I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

weemcd wrote: »
    Did you see the time Benson Henderson proposed to his (extremely average btw) girlfriend after a fight? It was another uninspiring decision win, the crowd were booing like hell. It was one of the corniest most embarrassing things I have ever seen.

i remember it vaguely tbh, but it was a good while back no? and it's amazing how quickly that toothpick reappears in his mouth after a fight. I think he hides it in his hair :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The term bandwagoners to refer to ANY new fan.

I would've used the term "bandwagoner" before but I wasn't referring to "new MMA fans". There's a big difference between a "new MMA fan" and a "bandwagoner" IMO.

If I don't give a rats about GAA all year, but then decide to get a lend of a Dublin top, go the All Ireland final, tell all the Kerry supporters how great Dublin have been all year, shout at the Kerry players that they're b*tches and they're all sh*te because they're not from Dublin and then not give a sh*t about GAA again until Dublin are in the latter stages of the All Ireland............. does that make me a "New GAA fan"? Nope!

Edit: Dr PhilG got there way before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I bitch about bandwagoners.

But my definition of the word is different to what has been expressed here.

To me a bandwagoner is someone along for the ride, the party and the booze. Someone who doesn't give a pish about the sport but latches onto it because it's cool. If MMA wasn't cool but tiddlywinks was they would follow that. If McGregor retired tomorrow they would sell their suits and dickie-bows on eBay on Friday.

There is a big difference between a new fan and a bandwagoner.

Girls running around at the minute with tricolours painted on their cheeks cheering on the Irish rugby team even though they don't even watch the games are bandwagoners.

Bandwagoners annoy me. New fans don't.

We were all new fans once. We were not all bandwagoners.

I would pretty much say you've hit nail on the head with that definition. Huge difference between a new fan and someone there for a piss up.

I'd give the wee girls and the pretend rugby fans ATM a bit more of a by ball because major tournaments always has that effect on the general population. What does annoy me is if said fans then act like they're the expert, arguing with genuine fans who watch the sport year round.

I post a lot in the darts forum and lot of fans there feel same towards ppl who only goto a big tournament(or prem league) to get pished, sing, chant,boo and eventually end up throwing pints or fighting in the arena.....all while their back is to the stage the whole night.

i remember it vaguely tbh, but it was a good while back no? and it's amazing how quickly that toothpick reappears in his mouth after a fight. I think he hides it in his hair :p

That's probably around 3 years ago at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

"S/He came to bang".

"S/He likes to brawl".

"S/He always brings it".

I shouldn't have to explain how these are just awful and annoying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If someone comes to bang, that usually means something else to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

CatFromHue wrote: »

GPK-Adam-Bomb.jpg

? :D

edit - didn't realise picture was so big :/

"ATTABOOOOYYY!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

"Let me bang bro!" - Julian Lane

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

"Let me bang bro!" - Julian Lane

Probably the most entertaining TUF

The guys who rush over and tell fighters to get down from the cage after a victory.
    As if they'll forget to get back down and stay there forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

''Fans'' that boo a great fight because it went to a decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The guys who rush over and tell fighters to get down from the cage after a victory.
    As if they'll forget to get back down and stay there forever.
    Because that's what they are concerned about...

Also, ''This program contains flashing lights and scenes of violence'' every. single. adbreak.

Mellor wrote: »
    Because that's what they are concerned about...

Ah Mellor. A thought hyperbolic comments were mandatory for this thread. I know why they're really doing it but that's no fun and them telling fighters to get down is still annoying.

Ah Mellor. A thought hyperbolic comments were mandatory for this thread. I know why they're really doing it but that's no fun and them telling fighters to get down is still annoying.
    Ah I know. Was in a very serious mood for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

"let's take a look at our tale of the tape..

Fighter A is 8 years the elder.

Fighter B has a 3 inch height and reach advantage...

Everything else....is virtually identical."

That's only leaves the weight goldie but cheers for clearing up any potential confusion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Ric Flair "woo"-ing at MMA events does my fúcking head in. Not such a problem over here but it is difficult to listen to when watching on TV. It's really distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

McGregor and his overuse of "It is what it is". Really bugs the life outta me.

It is what it is, tho.

We said "trivial" right? I've got one.

LW rankings are:

Champ: RDA
    #1 Contender: Pettis
    #2 Contender: Cerrone

When Cerrone fights RDA, Bruce Buffer will describe Cerrone as "The number two ranked lightweight fighter in the world" rather than "Number two ranked lightweight CONTENDER". Cerrone's not the #2 ranked "fighter", Pettis is. Cerrone is the #3 ranked fighter because RDA & Pettis are ahead of him.

Probably just me, but it's annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

MrStuffins wrote: »

LW rankings are:

When Cerrone fights RDA, Bruce Buffer will describe Cerrone as "The number two ranked lightweight fighter in the world" rather than "Number two ranked lightweight CONTENDER". Cerrone's not the #2 ranked "fighter", Pettis is. Cerrone is the #3 ranked fighter because RDA & Pettis are ahead of him.

Probably just me, but it's annoying!

I'm just annoyed I didn't think of posting it myself. It kills me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭crybaby

That pose that Rousey strikes at the stare downs where she puts one fist up and the hip to the other side - the cringe factor goes from 0 to 100 in record time. She's always wearing some ridiculous looking dress to make it even worse.

MrStuffins wrote: »

LW rankings are:

That annoys me too. It also affects when they describe guys as being top 5 or top 10.

If you beat the guy at #10 (or #5) you still haven't beaten anybody in the top 10. The top 10 is the champ and contenders #1 to #9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just before an individuals weigh in the fact an on screen graphic caption doesn't come up telling us what weight a fighter needs to be on or under. But no they just weigh them and call it out like were all experts expected to know the weight class of each fight to take place. Im sure the majority of the crowd is only cheering on the fighters reaction after the weight is called or the domino reaction of the part of the crowd who cheer first.

califano wrote: »
    Just before an individuals weigh in the fact an on screen graphic caption doesn't come up telling us what weight a fighter needs to be on or under. But no they just weigh them and call it out like were all experts expected to know the weight class of each fight to take place. Im sure the majority of the crowd is only cheering on the fighters reaction after the weight is called or the domino reaction of the part of the crowd who cheer first.
    Joe Rogan announces the division when he introduces the fighters.

And fighters reaction aside, if a fighter weighs in at 156 and 1/2 lbs, it should be fairly obvious that he was shooting for lightweight.

And fighters reaction aside, if a fighter weighs in at 156 and 1/2 lbs, it should be fairly obvious that he was shooting for lightweight.

Needs a caption imo. No good saying the weight. Dont make us do the math!

What happens when his name is Kelvin Gastelum though, and he weighs in at 185 pounds. Perfect.... except then you realise he is supposed to be at Welter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Needs a caption imo. No good saying the weight. Dont make us do the math!
    What math do you need to do? They announce the exact weight division?

weemcd wrote: »
    What happens when his name is Kelvin Gastelum though, and he weighs in at 185 pounds. Perfect.... except then you realise he is supposed to be at Welter :rolleyes:
    Mellor wrote:
    Joe Rogan announces the division...
    :rolleyes:

So Joe say:
    "up next in the welterweight division is Kelvin Gastelum"

No math as such just dont say light heavy and expect brains to dial up the lbs total. So what im saying is that i and countless others wouldn't know the upper limit in lbs of every weight division and there are several weights throughout a full card. Maybe i should try harder but just show us a caption dammit!. Makes it easier because watching weigh ins your only half watching anyway and it feels like an epic fail if their weight is over the caption stated weight!. Could even be a buzzer that sounds when they weigh in over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jon Anik's weird fake laugh does my head in.

So what im saying is that i and countless others wouldn't know the upper limit in lbs of every weight division
    I'd be surprised if you knew them in stone or kilos but not lbs ;)

Joking aside, obviously I wouldnt expect everyone watching UFC to know all the divisions. But I'd have assumed that people who bother with weigh-ins do, or at the very least people who get annoyed at trivial aspects of the sport.
    Maybe i should try harder but just show us a caption dammit!.
    Ultimately I think the reason they don't have captions is that it's really just basic stream of the "live" event. There's no real production involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

No math as such just dont say light heavy and expect brains to dial up the lbs total. So what im saying is that i and countless others wouldn't know the upper limit in lbs of every weight division and there are several weights throughout a full card. Maybe i should try harder but just show us a caption dammit!. Makes it easier because watching weigh ins your only half watching anyway and it feels like an epic fail if their weight is over the caption stated weight!. Could even be a buzzer that sounds when they weigh in over.

Yeah you should try harder ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Not exactly irrational, but the time difference is the bane of my existence. The American fans and media don't know how good they have it. Being a hardcore fan with a job is extremely tiring.

Chase3 wrote: »
    Not exactly irrational, but the time difference is the bane of my existence. The American fans and media don't know how good they have it. Being a hardcore fan with a job is extremely tiring.

Agree. I find it more and more difficult to justify staying up til 6am and the next day being a write off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I always laugh/cry at this, not only in MMA but with NFL and NBA too.

I follow a lot of American based people on Twitter due to my love of those sports and the amount of comments from those based on the east coast such as "man this event/game is dragging on, it's past midnight and I need to go bed" while I'm holding my eyes open with matchsticks at the 5am equivalent is so annoying. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah that's a pain in the hole whe in at home. I've gotten so busted to ufc being on a Sunday afternoon, 12-3ish

Does Joe Rogans overuse of the word "wow" count as one? Also his incredibly biased commentary which may have been mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I've only stayed up for a live event once or twice. I'd far rather record it and have a fee lads over on Sunday afternoon to watch.

I'll be doing an all nighter in December for the McGregor fight though. With his profile it will be impossible to avoid spoilers.

McGregor and his overuse of "It is what it is". Really bugs the life outta me.

It is what it is, tho.

Conor and every fighter, coach and journalist associated with mma, and unfortunately has snuck its way into my vernacular :pac:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1701792-mma-the-6-most-overused-phrases-in-mixed-martial-arts/page/7

Not a new phenomenon either it seems...bastards....

People writing about MMA, and it's rampant on boards and Facebook etc, who mention Carlos Conduit or Holly Holms.

It's Condit.

And Holm.

DAMMIT!!!!!

I don't care if it's autocorrect doing it. Overrule that crap and write the names correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

DrPhilG wrote: »
    People writing about MMA, and it's rampant on boards and Facebook etc, who mention Carlos Conduit or Holly Holms.

It's Condit.

And Holm.

DAMMIT!!!!!

I don't care if it's autocorrect doing it. Overrule that crap and write the names correctly.

The Holms was doing my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Oh... MISSION CONTROL!" *nothing happens*

JR isn't as bad as he used to be, but any sign of a rubber guard made him jizz his pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I like Joe Rogan quite a bit, but he talks about Amanda Nunes all the time as a threat to Rousey and doesn't even mention Cat Zingano who just got caught early. Zingano settled the Amanda Nunes debate :D

I know it doesn't matter anymore but had to get that one off my chest.

I like Joe Rogan quite a bit, but he talks about Amanda Nunes all the time as a threat to Rousey and doesn't even mention Cat Zingano who just got caught early. Zingano settled the Amanda Nunes debate :D

I know it doesn't matter anymore but had to get that one off my chest.

Zigano beat Nunes before she got her shot at Rousey. Since then Nunes has won twice and beat McMann recently. She's the highest ranked fighter who hasn't fought for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Zigano beat Nunes before she got her shot at Rousey. Since then Nunes has won twice and beat McMann recently. She's the highest ranked fighter who hasn't fought for the title.

All true, but to me the a rematch of Rousey and Zingano is very interesting and could go a round or two before there's a finish. Rousey is the only fighter to beat Zingano and Nunes has 4 losses.

Less of an aurora around Nunes is all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement