Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future for my wife and I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Op, have you considered the possibility that your wife just does not love you?

That she's staying with you purely for the benefits of the financial gains you worked for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

God OP, you are so unbelievably deluded. You say lack of sex is caused by lack of intimacy (the main problem). What planet are you living on? I find it very hard to believe that you think that you're not having sex because there's no intimacy. No - there's no intimacy because you and your wife don't even communicate anymore. You expect her to just have sex with you just because you brought out the laundry etc? And then you refer to your child as "it". That's just disgusting. If you react the way you do on here when you are trying to communicate to your wife then you may as well buy a one way ticket to the divorce court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

tinkerbell wrote: »
    God OP, you are so unbelievably deluded. You say lack of sex is caused by lack of intimacy (the main problem). What planet are you living on? I find it very hard to believe that you think that you're not having sex because there's no intimacy. No - there's no intimacy because you and your wife don't even communicate anymore. You expect her to just have sex with you just because you brought out the laundry etc? And then you refer to your child as "it". That's just disgusting. If you react the way you do on here when you are trying to communicate to your wife then you may as well buy a one way ticket to the divorce court.

Normally I'd just thank a post but in this instance I'll quote and give +10.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not sure he's all that concerned with whether his wife still loves him. There's been scant talk of love in any of the posts. Just a general sense of grievance.

Sure someone up thread asked whether they even liked each other, and whether there was any banter but all he wants to talk about is about how everyone is taking him up wrong and how everything he ever did or does is justified.

OP I don't doubt you were under horrible pressure at work back then. But something went seriously seriously wrong in your house and you don't seem to have a clue how that happened.

You act like you were in a coma for 6 years and you woke up last week and went "HEY! We haven't had sex in 4 years and I'm on the periphery of my family! WTF??!"

You've been there every day (and if we are to believe your version of events The Best Husband and Dad Ever Who Does Loads of Housework By The Way) so its a bit unusual that you seem to be in this state of indignant bafflement.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Dial back the hostility towards the OP please. Please phrase your replies in a constructive, helpful and civil manner, or don't bother posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Borinis_Socks

Neyite wrote: »
    Mod:

Dial back the hostility towards the OP please. Please phrase your replies in a constructive, helpful and civil manner, or don't bother posting.

Phew that was some battering. I honestly don't know what to say. At least I'm going to the counsellor with my eyes open.
    The mention of my use of "it" was unfortunate on my part as it does not reflect the love I still have for both our child and my wife. Please be more forgiving with these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Good luck with the counsellor, don't expect immediate results, it will take some time to learn how to communicate again.

Good luck with the counsellor, don't expect immediate results, it will take some time to learn how to communicate again.

Thank you. I mentioned a few days ago that I was going. I can even see an improvement between us already. She is talking about the babysitting situation and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Ill probably get banned for this but women are like entrepreneurs. They see things most normal folk don't. They're irrational and rarely think in straight lines...hence the reason they're so successful!!

The take away from this is that OP you need to try and stand in your wife's shoes for 10 mins...empathise..don't even attempt to use logic or common sense...just basic empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Voltex

You've posted in PI before so you should know generalisations aren't welcome. Please read our charter before posting in the forum again.

Taltos

• Advertisement

Voltex wrote: »
    Ill probably get banned for this but women are like entrepreneurs. They see things most normal folk don't. They're irrational and rarely think in straight lines...hence the reason they're so successful!!

The take away from this is that OP you need to try and stand in your wife's shoes for 10 mins...empathise..don't even attempt to use logic or common sense...just basic empathy.

I've tried and am continuing to try. Am meeting counsellor. Hopefully and I'm sure they will give some good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've tried and am continuing to try. Am meeting counsellor. Hopefully and I'm sure they will give some good advice.

Even if your wife chooses not to go to counselling, you can talk to the counsellor and discuss issues, ways to communicate, things like that. Whatever the outcome for your marriage, fair play on going through with booking a counselling session.

Even if your wife chooses not to go to counselling, you can talk to the counsellor and discuss issues, ways to communicate, things like that. Whatever the outcome for your marriage, fair play on going through with booking a counselling session.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll be fine. Have seen change already since I mentioned it to my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I've followed your post and I'm really impressed at how driven you are to fix/improve your marriage.
    It would be great if you could update us on how things improve/change over the next few months.
    Baby steps is a great idea.

My hubby started counselling about three months ago.
    Our relationship is brilliant, a full 360 turnaround.
    He loves going to counselling, the high light of his week! He has learnt to communicate and express his feelings better to me. He no longer has 'moods' and he's dealing with issues from childhood that he didn't realise bothered him.

Counselling rocks!

Marzipan, I'm glad to hear it worked for ye. I myself am considering counselling for a long term relationship issue that needs to be resolved, in particular, to figure out how to end it with a very difficult, unpredictable and controlling woman which is made difficult when I have assertiveness issues, possibly accentuated by her behaviour over the years. Anyway that's a whole other threat.

marizpan wrote: »
    I've followed your post and I'm really impressed at how driven you are to fix/improve your marriage.
    It would be great if you could update us on how things improve/change over the next few months.
    Baby steps is a great idea.

My hubby started counselling about three months ago.
    Our relationship is brilliant, a full 360 turnaround.
    He loves going to counselling, the high light of his week! He has learnt to communicate and express his feelings better to me. He no longer has 'moods' and he's dealing with issues from childhood that he didn't realise bothered him.

Counselling rocks!

Thanks for those kind sentiments. Drive and determination is part of who I am. My intentions are always good.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

marizpan - as per the forum charter, please don't request updates from the OP.

Regards,
    Mike

mike_ie wrote: »
    marizpan - as per the forum charter, please don't request updates from the OP.

Regards,
    Mike

Yeah I won't be going into the details as that's confidential but what I will say is that I was very nervous going to the counsellor today.
    I found it much easier to communicate the issues than on here. In an online forum it's not one to one and there is scope for misunderstandings. Part of the problem is that I the OP, have only so much time to cobble together my thoughts in a post.
    In a counselling session, things flow better, and either person can probe or clarify as needed.
    I have to say I'm very relieved and have a clear picture what we need to work on.
    Next step I'm going to try and share these ideas with my wife.
    If she can attend, even on her own, I will be delighted, because I was doing my best to give a balanced picture, but I appreciate everyone sees things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MooMoo100

As the mother of a child who also suffered from Eczema, can I just mention how incredibly soul destroyingly exhausting it is. Although my partner is a very hands on dad, the bulk of the care fell to me, because no matter how good a dad he is, it was always me that my baby reached out to in the dead of night. Can I say that there is nothing more upsetting than trying to comfort a sore, itchy, tired, frustrated and upset child at 4am, while looking at your sleeping partner's back while they sleep. I appreciate that he had to work the following morning, but 4 am is a pretty lonely place. My experience with eczema made me not want another child for fear of having to endure that again.
    This same pattern also goes for general housework. Although my partner does help out with the home, most of it remains my responsibility. Coming in the door exhausted after a days work, merely heralds the beginning of more hours of work at home. My mind constantly races with the chores that still need doing, and that in itself is exhausting. I must admit resentment does creep in, and intimacy is affected.
    After the children are settled in bed, that is my time. I like to go to bed with a book. It is how I relax, how I switch off from the day. My partner likes to watch TV, I do not.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that when you have a young family, especially one where there are health issues involved, you are constanly exhausted, even when health issues are resolved it takes time to recover from lost sleep, especially when living fast paced lives of work and home. And you forget about your relationship sometimes because you have to look after yourself so much just to be able to keep going. Our lives today are jam packed, something has got to give. Its so easy to forget about each other, especially during the early years of child rearing. I hope it all works out for you, and I'm glad that you are trying to fix your problems. Try and remember what you enjoyed doing together before the baby came, go to a comedy gig, laugh together, hold hands, it will come back.

MooMoo100 wrote: »
    <SNIP> Please do not quote entire blocks of posts. It really makes it hard for our mobile readers

Thanks so much for this post. It really resonates with me because it is similar to our situation. Best wishes to you and yours. I think when 2 parents work, time constraints put a squeeze but "us" time is vital and that has to be without children involved even if only once a month, or even a simple cup of tea after the kids are asleep or a movie on the TV on a Friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

She never said it was too risky. She is nearly 41. Why is there no chance?
    I'm always home from work on time and spend time with our daughters lot.
    Don't think it's really an option to start going out looking for extra-marital sex

There is still a chance. I know lots of women who had their last child between 42 and 44. That said, you would both want to be in agreement for this to happen. You both need to communicate about all of this.

There is still a chance. I know lots of women who had their last child between 42 and 44. That said, you would both want to be in agreement for this to happen. You both need to communicate about all of this.

Thanks. I'd settle for a healthy marriage and another child would be a nice bonus, it that's what we both wanted.

Thanks. I'd settle for a healthy marriage and another child would be a nice bonus, it that's what we both wanted.

I'm glad to hear of you success with the counselling session OP. Now you're talking sense. Keep it up dude.

I'm glad to hear of you success with the counselling session OP. Now you're talking sense. Keep it up dude.

Best of luck to you too.
    The session was like 6 years of emotion just gushing out. I feel great now. I regret I didn't do this at least 2 years ago, but then I was forgiving because of child's health. I let things drift.

Best of luck to you too.
    The session was like 6 years of emotion just gushing out. I feel great now. I regret I didn't do this at least 2 years ago, but then I was forgiving because of child's health. I let things drift.

I'm a bit deflated now. Asked wife earlier this evening if we could talk about something later. Didn't really get a yes or a no. Anyway I got our daughter to sleep and then went into my wife and started trying to establish a line of communication. That was a challenge in itself. Anyway I shared with her some of the discussion with the counsellor.
    I was hoping she might engage a bit more with the issues but she tried to deflect onto the lesser issues "sure we're trying to get a babysitter".
    I asked her did she have any interest in me of the marriage anymore. She said of course she did "aren't we like everyone else plodding along".
    I asked her what was her overall opinion.
    I was expecting something like " yes she does have a point about "us" time, about the importance of intimacy, communication etcetera" but no it was "yeah sure you were right to go if you felt it would do you good and did I think it was beneficial".
    I said the end result would depend on if it done us good, not just me.
    She seems to be very detached from all of this and very lukewarm.
    Please be forgiving with this post, my head is melted. I expected more empathy as I was talking about this delicate issue, but most of the feedback was like "sure aren't we like everyone else, plodding along".
    Other people might be plodding along, but they have better communication and intimacy. Ours is the pits at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm a bit deflated now. Asked wife earlier this evening if we could talk about something later. Didn't really get a yes or a no. Anyway I got our daughter to sleep and then went into my wife and started trying to establish a line of communication. That was a challenge in itself. Anyway I shared with her some of the discussion with the counsellor.
    I was hoping she might engage a bit more with the issues but she tried to deflect onto the lesser issues "sure we're trying to get a babysitter".
    I asked her did she have any interest in me of the marriage anymore. She said of course she did "aren't we like everyone else plodding along".
    I asked her what was her overall opinion.
    I was expecting something like " yes she does have a point about "us" time, about the importance of intimacy, communication etcetera" but no it was "yeah sure you were right to go if you felt it would do you good and did I think it was beneficial".
    I said the end result would depend on if it done us good, not just me.
    She seems to be very detached from all of this and very lukewarm.
    Please be forgiving with this post, my head is melted. I expected more empathy as I was talking about this delicate issue, but most of the feedback was like "sure aren't we like everyone else, plodding along".
    Other people might be plodding along, but they have better communication and intimacy. Ours is the pits at the moment.

I'd read that as she no longer loves you tbh and I'm not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op I thing your relationship is over the fact she's is looking for a house on her own speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

OP.
    Am glad you've started counselling.
    Just so you know, it will take a few sessions before you really start to feel better.Also, sometimes with counselling, the early sessions aren't necessarily beneficial,in terms of making progress. It's more a case of you talking and the counsellor listening.

As for your wife's recent comments.
    I disagree that a lot of couples are merely plodding along.
    Some are, but some are committed and making the effort with each other, regardless of children, work commitments etc..

I really do get a sense that it's too late for you both, that she's long since withdrawn from the marital relationship and is content to live like housemates.

Continue counselling for the support it offers you, again, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think it's understandable that you feel deflated, you've put energy into something and want to see immediate results.

You seem like a guy who wants immediate reward - look at your comments last week about lighting the fire etc.

But in all honesty, you are not going to change things yet. And while I understand your hope that your wife would make a big change herself I really don't know why you thought she would.

You know her and you know your life. You know how she is. She is not good at communicating with you and either are you with her.

What you have done is like starting working out with a trainer. And you've had one session and expecting change. Which is crazy.

You did get a change - she spoke about your marriage a bit. But you don't like what she says. I think it's unfair to ask somebody a question you should know will give you an upsetting answer, and then complain about them giving you that answer.

That's how she says she feels - now.
    You have the way you feel - now. You probably are both a bit tired emotionally, guarded, and misunderstood.

One step at a time OP.

Btw i don't think that she doesn't love you, but like you she is in a pattern of being this way.

Patterns change slowly. So don't put any pressure on yourselves. If she won't go (and you don't have to clarify but to me it's not clear that she has refused to go) then you go and work on yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Don't forgot OP you're the one who is suddenly motivated to change right now. You're the one who's taken the step to start counselling, not your wife.

Counselling may have felt good for you, having an outside party resonate with your experience may have worked for you but repeating what she said back to your wife may not work for her. But absolutely, keep the lines of communication open. And maybe contact a babysitting agency?!? Get that hurdle out of the way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement