Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Holy moley JsJ, look at the thickness of those slices.

Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭fallen01angel

Anyone got a bullet proof recipe for Xmas day ham in the slow cooker?

I'm thinking of giving this super simple recipe a go but as a natural cynic, if it sounds to good to be true, it.........

https://www.babytime.ie/recipe/2-ingredient-slow-cooker-ham-fillet/

Thoughts?

Hi,I just want to say a huge thank you for sharing this recipe..... Only saw it late last night while panicking about how to cook a ham in a slow cooker with little fuss.....prior to popping it in the oven I glazed it with mix of honey/BBQ sauce/cracked black pepper and proper chilli powder.......the result was better than I could have ever imagined (I don't use my slow cooker that much)!!! Thanks again ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

beertons wrote: »
    Holy moley JsJ, look at the thickness of those slices.

Beautiful.

My rule is meat slices for hot dinners should be "steak" like whereas for sambos should be New York wafer thin sliced.

Odd I know but c'est la vie.

Now all I need is one of those slicers Lidl had on sale a few weeks ago for tomorrow's lunchtime sambo's which for me is the culinary highlight of the Xmas break.

Brennans white bread (only allowed in the house once a year specifically for these sambo's), lot's of butter and then layered from bottom to top with English mustard, thinly sliced ham, pickled gherkins sliced thin, sage and onion stuffing, sliced turkey breast and then on top a great big dollop of cranberry sauce with another slice of buttered white bread topping it all off.

Squash the sambo together and slice in two with a cup of tea and .............. wait for it............. a pack of Tayto cheese and onion crisps.

Absolute heaven possibly followed by a mince pie or two and a 2 hour nap :P

Mmmmm, hungry again now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You lost me at gherkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You lost me at mustard, and then again at gherkins! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My rule is meat slices for hot dinners should be "steak" like whereas for sambos should be New York wafer thin sliced.

Odd I know but c'est la vie.

Now all I need is one of those slicers Lidl had on sale a few weeks ago for tomorrow's lunchtime sambo's which for me is the culinary highlight of the Xmas break.

Brennans white bread (only allowed in the house once a year specifically for these sambo's), lot's of butter and then layered from bottom to top with English mustard, thinly sliced ham, pickled gherkins sliced thin, sage and onion stuffing, sliced turkey breast and then on top a great big dollop of cranberry sauce with another slice of buttered white bread topping it all off.

Squash the sambo together and slice in two with a cup of tea and .............. wait for it............. a pack of Tayto cheese and onion crisps.

Absolute heaven possibly followed by a mince pie or two and a 2 hour nap :P

Mmmmm, hungry again now.

Sweet baby Jesus, that sounds like one delicious sandwich.

**Drools**

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

That sounds like an awesome sandwich, but I’d swap out the cranberry sauce (or at least place it with the stuffing) for a decent cheese.

Cooked my turkey in the slow cooker again this year. Came out fantastic.

Looks like Aldi have a pretty decent slow cooker with timer and keep warm functions built in for €35 on Sunday.

Ambiano-Programmable-Slow-Cooker-B.jpg?o=ncqlPU6ujZ1WEPVMXP4bVVAMrgUj&V=Rrdt&w=1500&p=2&q=50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got the above the other day. Will be testing it very soon with many of the recipes in here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Used mine yesterday for the first time in months. Normally make a goulash every so often using a large casserole. Obviously this means browning the meat, constantly stirring everything, etc. So yesterday I decided last minute that I'd try it in the slow cooker. I simply lumped all ingredients in, put it on low for 8hrs, no stirring, no checking, and it freed me up to do whatever I wanted during the day. Everything ready at 6.30 & the reaction was even more positive than usual. Happy days!!

• Advertisement

I've a 3kg ham in the slow cooker and giving the 2 ingredient recipe another go i.e. a 500g packet of Aldi light brown sugar evenly spread across the bottom of the bowl with the ham placed on top and the slow cooker on low for 8 hours with the ham turned 90 degrees 4-5 hours in so the top half gets a decent amount of time to sit and cook in the lovely juice :P

Ham, eggs and chips on the menu for dinner tonight with ham sambos and tomato, spring onion, ham and cheese omelettes on the menu over the weekend :D

That's a lot of meals from an €8 three kilo ham!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I need to eat better (stews, veg and such ...instead of convenience food all the time). Am wondering if a slow cooker is worth getting.

I heard it makes everything too mushy, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You just need to work off recipes that are tried and tested for the slow cooker. It's not suitable for everything but there's a HUGE range of stuff you can make in it. Definitely worth buying one. I made chicken enchilada soup in mine today. A week's worth of lunches for 10 minutes of prep and then forgotten about til it was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I heard it makes everything too mushy, is that true?
    It depends. Never had an issue with root veg tbh, but we probably cut them in bigger chunks than if boiling them. The likes of onions and peppers melting away we probably consider an advantage as the children eat them without noticing! But again, depends on how big and how long their cooked for really.

It's pretty much the most convenience cooking thing we have. I did a beef curry (foodforfitness banging beef curry) on thursday...
    • Night before - prepped the onions, and spices (into a tupperware box), and cooked rice the night before.
    • In the morning - meat, onions, spices, coconut milk into the slow cooker - turn on.
    • Get home from work - give rice a couple of minutes in the microwave, and then stir through and leave for 15-20 while everyone gets organised.
    • 4 dinners for the evening, 4 portions for the freezer (one of which is my lunch today).
    Prep time the night before about 10 minutes (not including the rice cooking - we've a rice cooker, so that was just rinse, put on, cool). In the morning less than 5 minutes to load and stir, same again in the evening.

We generally don't bother with browning meat, or pre-frying onions - no time for that at 6.30am. We swap mince in recipes for diced beef to avoid that.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You just need to work off recipes that are tried and tested for the slow cooker. It's not suitable for everything but there's a HUGE range of stuff you can make in it. Definitely worth buying one. I made chicken enchilada soup in mine today. A week's worth of lunches for 10 minutes of prep and then forgotten about til it was ready.

Thanks, that's a relief to learn.

That's exactly what I need - easy to make, hearty meals that I can store in fridge and are available when I get hungry. This sounds ideal.

Wow, enchilada soup sounds tasty!

Thank you Dial Hard :)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It depends. Never had an issue with root veg tbh, but we probably cut them in bigger chunks than if boiling them. The likes of onions and peppers melting away we probably consider an advantage as the children eat them without noticing! But again, depends on how big and how long their cooked for really.

It's pretty much the most convenience cooking thing we have. I did a beef curry (foodforfitness banging beef curry) on thursday...
    • Night before - prepped the onions, and spices (into a tupperware box), and cooked rice the night before.
    • In the morning - meat, onions, spices, coconut milk into the slow cooker - turn on.
    • Get home from work - give rice a couple of minutes in the microwave, and then stir through and leave for 15-20 while everyone gets organised.
    • 4 dinners for the evening, 4 portions for the freezer (one of which is my lunch today).
    Prep time the night before about 10 minutes (not including the rice cooking - we've a rice cooker, so that was just rinse, put on, cool). In the morning less than 5 minutes to load and stir, same again in the evening.

We generally don't bother with browning meat, or pre-frying onions - no time for that at 6.30am. We swap mince in recipes for diced beef to avoid that.

Having onions melt would indeed be a good thing, adds taste but you don't have to deal with the wilty texture.

Thanks for the advice, cool! :)
    Oh your recipe sounds great! Thank you!

I prefer minced meat because I never really learned how to cook meat properly. So you don't brown it before hand, is that right? You just put the mince in raw with the vegies? (I am not much of a cook, so don't know many basics).

Thanks Macy0161! :)

So you don't brown it before hand, is that right? You just put the mince in raw with the vegies? (I am not much of a cook, so don't know many basics).
    Most recipes will say soften the onions and brown the meat. We only occasionally do that to be honest, if it's the weekend. A weekday morning, we don't have time, and it's going to be on for the 11 or 12 hours.

The only reason we swap mince for diced beed is that you need to brown mince first to break it up, not really taste related.

It's the best value, most used gadget we've ever had. It's on it's last legs now - the only thing turning my head is one of the programmable multi cooker pressure cooker yolk - instantpots and other manufactuerers versions of them. But they can be slow cookers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Beef stew put on at 7.30am this morning. Finishing work early today so will be home to turn it off at 3pm. Looking forward to the smell when I open the front door!
    Will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

• Night before - prepped the onions, and spices (into a tupperware box)

Sorry to be dense but do you mean fried up etc. or just chop, measure and throw into a container?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I made the Nigella Lamb pasta dish again very late last night. When I went down this morning to throw in the pasta I realised I'd added thyme instead of mint (I really need to label the jars!). Really stupid mistake, they look completely different! Will see what it tastes like tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Caranica wrote: »
    I made the Nigella Lamb pasta dish again very late last night. When I went down this morning to throw in the pasta I realised I'd added thyme instead of mint (I really need to label the jars!). Really stupid mistake, they look completely different! Will see what it tastes like tonight!

Do you have an online link to that recipe?
    Sounds interesting, and actually I would prefer thyme to mint with lamb so it would be great to hear how it turns out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sorry to be dense but do you mean fried up etc. or just chop, measure and throw into a container?
    Just chopped and put into a container.

I probably had time to fry off the onions (and meat), but I'm reluctant where I know there's batches going into the freezer.

So you don't brown it before hand, is that right? You just put the mince in raw with the vegies? (I am not much of a cook, so don't know many basics).

It depends on the recipe and the cut of meat. Some meats (bacon, skin-on chicken) need to be browned first to render the fat, otherwise it's all going to end up in your finished dish and make it greasy. Others, such as mince, benefit from pre-cooking as it breaks the meat up. You want to be searching for "dump dinners" - these are recipes that don't need any stove-top pre-cooking, you just organise your ingredients and dump everything into the slow cooker together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

One of my slow cooker staples. Very quick to throw together before you head out in the morning. Wife sent me the recipe years ago so don't know who to actually give credit to.

Super Bowl Chilli
    Ingredients

150g Chorizo*
    500g Stewing Beef
    1/2 tbls Chili Powder
    1/2 tbls Ground Cumin
    1 tsp Dried Oregano
    1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
    salt & pepper
    1 lg Onion, chopped
    1 Green Pepper, chopped
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 can of kidney beans in chilli sauce (Epicure do these)

Preparation:

Brown the Chorizo in a frying pan over medium heat until crispy. Add to slow cooker. On top of the Chorizo, add the beef . Sprinkle the spices on top of the beef. Top the meat with the chopped onion and then add the chopped pepper. (You can be chopping as you go.)
    Add the beans to the pot and top with the can of tomatoes. Do not stir.
    Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Stir at the halfway , or thereabouts point. Taste chili and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
    Ready to serve or can be made ahead of time up to 2 days, refrigerated covered. To reheat, place in large pot and over medium heat bring to gentle boil, stirring frequently, until heated through. Can also be frozen defrost prior to reheating.

I've left it with out stirring halfway just done it when I've got home then cooked the rice. Nice with a baked potato or if you're being unhealthy on top of some nachos and cheese Usually add an extra tin or two of different types of beans as the kids will eat a lot of these.

Often don't have chilli beans so just use kidney beans and double the chilli powder and cumin.

How I had it last time.

470419.jpg

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Do you have an online link to that recipe?
    Sounds interesting, and actually I would prefer thyme to mint with lamb so it would be great to hear how it turns out.

I got the link on this thread but here it is again. It's one of my favourite slow cooker recipes. The only change I make is to swap out the tomatoes for passata as I prefer the texture that way. I free hand pour the herbs and spices so there's usually a lot of chilli flakes in mine!

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/slow-cooker-lamb-and-pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Caranica wrote: »
    I got the link on this thread but here it is again. It's one of my favourite slow cooker recipes. The only change I make is to swap out the tomatoes for passata as I prefer the texture that way. I free hand pour the herbs and spices so there's usually a lot of chilli flakes in mine!
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/slow-cooker-lamb-and-pasta

Thanks... haven't seen that final step in other recipes e.g. stir-in the uncooked pasta to cook for the last 30 minutes of the countdown timer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Thanks... haven't seen that final step in other recipes e.g. stir-in the uncooked pasta to cook for the last 30 minutes of the countdown timer.

That's the handy bit. I tend to use fusili though, and leave it in a bit longer. Macaroni is great but if you reheat it tends to fall apart.

Not a fan of thyme in the dish. It didn't taste bad, just wrong. Back to mint it is :D

Meant to post this yesterday, it's the Chicken Enchilada Soup I made for lunches for the week:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup-recipe/

I made the enchilada sauce that's linked in the recipe and would really recommend doing so, it's ridiculously quick and simple and is the kind of thing you'll use in loads of different dishes. I made a double quantity and froze the extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Toots wrote: »
    I made this Chickpea Curry on Wednesday night and it was unbelievable! There's only 3 in my family (me, hubby and 4 year old son) so we ended up getting dinner for 3 nights out of it, so not only was it delicious, it worked out super economical. Only change I'd make is I'd swap out a regular potato for a sweet potato, but that's mainly cos I'm not keen on potato anyway. I used mini peppers from Lidl instead of green bell pepper, and a regular old chilli instead of a serrano chilli (because I don't know what that is haha), I also substituted chilli flakes instead of ground red pepper. It was mild enough for a 4 year old to eat, so if you want something spicy I'd say double up on the spices. I served it with a small portion of rice on the side, but it doesn't really need it - you could have it on its own.

:pac: I found this over 3 years later and gave it a go today. I didn't have a chilli, just the flakes so I put a small amount in as Mr C doesn't like it too spicy. I used regular potato but only added it in with two hours to go and it was perfectly done. For the veg broth I used two oxo veg stock cubes.
    I barely heated the coconut milk before I added it as half of it was solid in the can, I added it in with an hour to go.

Well I have to say it was amazing! The hubby's nerves were gone all day at the thoughts of no meat but he loved it. A nice bit left over for tomorrow too. Yum yum! Thanks Toots.:D

Advertisement