Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

km79 wrote: »
    Where do ye get the ham's?
    For Xmas we usually buy a cooked one from butcher but might try slow cooked one ourselves this year
    Do aldi do them?

I just get them in Aldi, i see they are advertising Irish unsmoked whole bone in gammon for 2.87 per kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

km79 wrote: »
    Where do ye get the ham's?
    For Xmas we usually buy a cooked one from butcher but might try slow cooked one ourselves this year
    Do aldi do them?

Got mine in Buckley's in Moore Street. Rarely go into town, just decided on the spur of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Made this yesterday, it wasn't amazing but it has potential - https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/slow-cooker-herbed-chicken-and-rice-pilaf/

I gave it six hours on low and the rice was overcooked, I'll give it five next time. Will also reduce the amount of chicken stock slightly and add the juice of an extra lemon. I left out the mushrooms altogether, cause, vom and didn't use any oil as I was using chicken legs and I always find the skin releases enough fat on its own.

48362606_10157969081417678_1727221437388816384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c02729266a264cc438801ec01035f785&oe=5C9760F0

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Practising for Christmas as I've never cooked ham in the slow cooker before. 2.2kgs ham, on Low, with 1ltr water, supposed to be 8 hours but I forgot about it and it had 9.5 hours. Still was lovely. I searched the house from top to bottom and nary a star anise was to be found!!! :rolleyes: I'm not bothered about fancy ingredients.

Looks good. Anytime I have done a ham in the slow cooker it has been more like a pulled/shreedded ham texture and difficult to slice. Perhaps I am overcooking it. I probably wouldn't use as much liquid as you either. Must try again!

Red Rua wrote: »
    Looks good. Anytime I have done a ham in the slow cooker it has been more like a pulled/shreedded ham texture and difficult to slice. Perhaps I am overcooking it. I probably wouldn't use as much liquid as you either. Must try again!

I think it was a Donal Skehan Youtube video that said he added a litre of liquid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We generally cook ham in the slow cooker, generally with a litre of stock. We've never had the pulled ham experience to be honest, but we would either let it rest or finish it off in the oven with a good coating of honey rather than carve straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I never know salty the ham is gonna be,
    I think it used to be salter.. Used to have to soak, then blanch, cooked a small piece on Tuesday unsoaked and unblanched, and to be honest it could have been saltier... Would have thought a slowcooker could be even more of a minefield.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The individual slow cookers are very small, but the whole thing is massive. My husband wanted to get it, but I declined.

I saw that Lidl are selling a slicer at the moment. Honestly there isn't enough space in a kitchen for all the hardware available. I was originally unhappy with the slow cooker as my pork was tasteless but I have had success with beef casseroles in it and I made a chorizo, chick pea & sweet potato soup recently that was lovely, according to the gang here anyway. :)

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would have thought a slowcooker could be even more of a minefield.
    I go with that in the slow cooker, in plenty of liquid, is soaking out the salt? I haven't particularly noticed it come out salty, but it's usually supermarket ham rather than butchers, so maybe less traditional ham prep?

I soaked my ham for 24 hours and changed the water twice during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I saw that Lidl are selling a slicer at the moment. Honestly there isn't enough space in a kitchen for all the hardware available. I was originally unhappy with the slow cooker as my pork was tasteless but I have had success with beef casseroles in it and I made a chorizo, chick pea & sweet potato soup recently that was lovely, according to the gang here anyway. :)

Extremely tempted to get the slicer but no storage room and wonder how hard it is to clean

ellejay wrote: »
    Extremely tempted to get the slicer but no storage room and wonder how hard it is to clean

I stopped buying kitchen equipment ages ago because (a) I don't have enough space for it and (b) I can't be faffed washing it all afterwards. My slicer is a good sharp knife at the moment. It takes seconds to wash! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The individual slow cookers are very small, but the whole thing is massive. My husband wanted to get it, but I declined.

I saw them also, the pots are really small, and how often do we really need 3 slow cooker pots going at same time, maybe for buffet to keep food hot, also I bought a slow cooker at a market for 5 euro and had another larger one at home, I do find having the second handy around Christmas, keeping food hot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Practising for Christmas as I've never cooked ham in the slow cooker before. 2.2kgs ham, on Low, with 1ltr water, supposed to be 8 hours but I forgot about it and it had 9.5 hours. Still was lovely. I searched the house from top to bottom and nary a star anise was to be found!!! :rolleyes: I'm not bothered about fancy ingredients.

I wonder what the max size ham would fit in a standard slow cooker? I like to get about a 4kg ham so there is loads left for sandwiches etc over the following few days but I'm thinking a 4kg joint would be too big for the slow cooker.

On a related note, I see mentioned above that Lidl had a meat slicer in their specials section. Did anyone buy one? What to they cost? Are they any good?

I wonder what the max size ham would fit in a standard slow cooker? I like to get about a 4kg ham so there is loads left for sandwiches etc over the following few days but I'm thinking a 4kg joint would be too big for the slow cooker.....

My ham was 2.2 kgs and it was tight enough but of course it shrinks during cooking. If the meat had been any bigger I wouldn't have been able to put the lid on. My slow cooker is a very cheap basic one, don't know the size offhand but maybe yours is bigger.

My ham was 2.2 kgs and it was tight enough but of course it shrinks during cooking. If the meat had been any bigger I wouldn't have been able to put the lid on. My slow cooker is a very cheap basic one, don't know the size offhand but maybe yours is bigger.

Thanks Jellybaby, mine is an Aldi model so I think basic and standard enough.

Might just have to buy 2 X 2kg hams, one for Xmas day and one for sambos!!

Thanks Jellybaby, mine is an Aldi model so I think basic and standard enough.

Might just have to buy 2 X 2kg hams, one for Xmas day and one for sambos!!

I have been known to take a measuring tape to Aldi to make sure the leg of lamb fits. Would work for ham too ;)

Anyone got a bullet proof recipe for Xmas day ham in the slow cooker?

I'm thinking of giving this super simple recipe a go but as a natural cynic, if it sounds to good to be true, it.........

https://www.babytime.ie/recipe/2-ingredient-slow-cooker-ham-fillet/

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Jorda 12

I'm thinking of giving this super simple recipe a go but as a natural cynic, if it sounds to good to be true, it.........

Thoughts?

Go for it. I always cook my ham in pineapple juice and brown sugar. Always tastes fab !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thoughts?

Should be ok but might be a bit salty. Put the ham in a pot and cover with water, then bring to the boil. Once it’s boiled. Transfer to the slow cooker brushing off any salt foam.

You could also add some sliced onion, a star anise, bay leaves and peppercorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when my gas cylinder connection died I was facing the possibility of no cooker.... googled "turkey breast roast slow cooker" and was very impressed indeed.

Thankfully have the gas cooker working but would have had a good meal regardless .

Third go at this yesterday - still a winner with all the family (served with oven baked wedges).. http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-hunters-chicken-slimming-world-11/

Made this yesterday as well for something slightly healthier for the christmas period https://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2014/09/11/skinny-slow-cooker-chocolate-fudge-cake/
    I made it before a few years ago, but came out looking better this time. I lined the slow cooker with Slow Cooker Liners I got in aldi before, but don't really use for general cooking in it.

I have been known to take a measuring tape to Aldi to make sure the leg of lamb fits. Would work for ham too ;)

3KG ham from Tesco fits very nicely into the slow cooker. I'd say a 4KG would as well but might be a bit of a squeeze at the ends.

IMG201812241849561545677985.jpg

Happy Xmas all and merry slow cooking :p

3KG ham from Tesco fits very nicely into the slow cooker. I'd say a 4KG would as well but might be a bit of a squeeze at the ends.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Glebee

IMG201812241849561545677985.jpg

My 4kg Tesco one fits snuggly in

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    when my gas cylinder connection died I was facing the possibility of no cooker.... googled "turkey breast roast slow cooker" and was very impressed indeed.

Thankfully have the gas cooker working but would have had a good meal regardless .

Finally got through to stormbound family in Canada. Limited power since last week so they had to cook the freezer stock as they could. They used the slow cooker for a turkey breast and said trhey will never again cook it any other way. Tender and moist.

So four lessons on cooking a Christmas ham today:-

1. A 4KG ham will fit a "normal" show cooker at a pinch.

2. 7 hours in the slow cooker, 3 on high and 4 on low, results in a lovely moist and fully cooked ham.

3. The two ingredient recipe actually works i.e. about 400g of brown (demerara) sugar in the base of the slow cooker with the ham placed on top. The sugar mixes with the juice of the ham to produce a lovely flavour. Just remember to turn the ham 90 degrees half way through to the top half of the ham gets to sit in the juice for a few hours.

4. 20 minutes in the oven at 220c cooks the glaze nice and sticky.

Here's the proof:-

IMG201812251658501545761321.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Another member of the family did the mulled wine in the slow cooker, it would be lovely if she went easy on the cloves, it blasted my head off

Advertisement