Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailgating

Options
  • 04-12-2015 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Wet road, poor visibility. Five cars in front of me half a car length apart from each other, and another sitting on my bumper who swerved hard when I indicated left to go into my house.

Why do Donegal and Northern drivers tailgate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Wet road, poor visibility. Five cars in front of me half a car length apart from each other, and another sitting on my bumper who swerved hard when I indicated left to go into my house.

Why do Donegal and Northern drivers tailgate?

See it daily on my drive to and from work in Donegal. Also dangerous overtaking is a common occurrence. And its not uncommon to see people doing 150kmph through the Gap in all conditions.

A better question is why is everyone in so much of a rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

redbel05 wrote: »
    See it daily on my drive to and from work in Donegal. Also dangerous overtaking is a common occurrence. And its not uncommon to see people doing 150kmph through the Gap in all conditions.

A better question is why is everyone in so much of a rush?

Yeah, the old overtaking into a blind bend manoveur. Do these guys do Russian Roulette for the crack or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Yeah, the old overtaking into a blind bend manoveur. Do these guys do Russian Roulette for the crack or something?

Freek all else to do up in those parts chum.....lads get stir crazy with all that wind and rain and do a bit of tailgating for the excitement.

North County Dublin isnt bad for that kind o thing also ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I doubt that bad driving is confined to Donegal and NI.

Lane discipline on roundabouts now, that's what really gets my goat.

I doubt that bad driving is confined to Donegal and NI.

Lane discipline on roundabouts now, that's what really gets my goat.

It's not, but I moved up here two years ago and is a lot more prevalent than anywhere else I've lived in Ireland or England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try the Ring of kerry road from Molls Gap to Killarney. Now I brake, and slow right down so if I have to stop they can. And pull over as soon as they drop back far enough for safety. Often I cannot pull in as they are too close to allow it.

I complained once about persistent tailgating in the Dingle area and got out once to remonstrate with a cnut who was half ways up my exhaust !

"Sew up your hole and grow a pair was the aggressive response"

What do you do ???

I complained once about persistent tailgating in the Dingle area and got out once to remonstrate with a cnut who was half ways up my exhaust !

What do you do ???

Short of tasering, which by the way I am not suggesting, there is no way to explain anything to that level of aggression. Not surprised at road deaths as a result of that mentality.

Short of tasering, which by the way I am not suggesting, there is no way to explain anything to that level of aggression. Not surprised at road deaths as a result of that mentality.

Can't argue with that that Banni !

What do you do ???

roflol! Really? I have been tempted so often to do that.. well done! I once drove from Torc waterfall to Molls gap with a boy racer stuck behind me. NO WAY was he going to drop back enough for me to pull in. So I slowed down to under 20 and he huffed and roared behind me. A neighbour's lad he was. On the Tralee to Killarney road drivers are sensible and polite. I see it more here than I did in Donegal actually. Worse at night with headlights.

• Advertisement

They never learn. There was a hold up after a bad crash in the high mountains here. Three fire and rescue teams.. when they let us through the sight of the wreck and the sand they laid on the road were horrific. Yet cars behind me were jockeying and crowding to overtake on blind bends. I turned off onto the forestry road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

there is a rear window sticker you can buy which says... 'If you can read this, you are too close'

I think what the driving instructors advise is 30mph - 30 metres space between cars, 50mph - 50 metres space etc.

What is really annoying is when you try and increase the distance between you and the car which is tailgating you, and the dumba$$ just accelerates and pulls right up behind you again.

there is a rear window sticker you can buy which says... 'If you can read this, you are too close'

I think what the driving instructors advise is 30mph - 30 metres space between cars, 50mph - 50 metres space etc.

What is really annoying is when you try and increase the distance between you and the car which is tailgating you, and the dumba$$ just accelerates and pulls right up behind you again.

I wonder about it. Do some drivers believe that sitting on someone's tail is how it should be done? Was on the A6 the other night and a middle aged man who should have known better sat on my rear end from Dungiven to Claudy. I slowed down gradually from 100 km/h - no brake testing or rear fogs - and the road was wet from heavy rain. He still didn't take the hint. Pulled over and let him pass - got the horn blown at me and by the time I got to Burntollet Bridge he was bumming another car. I think in that case it's some kind of spatial blindness, because he didn't overtake at either passing place. By Drumahoe I was well gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I just step on my brakes and let the numpty behind deal with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smashey wrote: »
    I just step on my brakes and let the numpty behind deal with it.

Possibly the most dangerous thing you can do, and a recorded admission of it would be sufficient evidence to get a claim reversed for a rear-end collision.

Unfortunately any poor fugger coming from the opposite direction has no option but to pull the trigger...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

L1011 wrote: »
    Possibly the most dangerous thing you can do, and a recorded admission of it would be sufficient evidence to get a claim reversed for a rear-end collision.

Well they either get the message and back off or my rage rises. I said step, that should have been tap the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Well they either get the message and back off or my rage rises. I said step, that should have been tap the brakes.

Rear fogs work for me sometimes, same effect without tapping the brakes

s

I do the same, ie tap the brakes.. lucky they cannot hear the language.. But mostly I pull in especially at night or early morning when headlights are on. The boy racer was in daylight so fair prey. No way would I slam on the brakes; my car is too important...;)

You mean these people can READ? There used to be a jingle on UK Tv... about the two second rule.. something about counting from lampposts.. " Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule".. No help in rural Ireland!

• Advertisement

I wonder about it. Do some drivers believe that sitting on someone's tail is how it should be done? Was on the A6 the other night and a middle aged man who should have known better sat on my rear end from Dungiven to Claudy. I slowed down gradually from 100 km/h - no brake testing or rear fogs - and the road was wet from heavy rain. He still didn't take the hint. Pulled over and let him pass - got the horn blown at me and by the time I got to Burntollet Bridge he was bumming another car. I think in that case it's some kind of spatial blindness, because he didn't overtake at either passing place. By Drumahoe I was well gone..

Don't you just love it when they overtake you dangerously then you go round the next bend and they are stuck behind a tractor! Did you see the Mayo incident http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/tractor-driver-banned-over-7km-traffic-tailback-1.2177126 There used to be a farmer in Donegal Town who drove to LIDL to shop on his tractor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Graces7 wrote: »
    Don't you just love it when they overtake you dangerously then you go round the next bend and they are stuck behind a tractor! Did you see the Mayo incident http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/tractor-driver-banned-over-7km-traffic-tailback-1.2177126 There used to be a farmer in Donegal Town who drove to LIDL to shop on his tractor..

not as bad as the guy who brings his wife and sister-in-law into Letterkenny in the horse box on the back of the tractor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Graces7 wrote: »
    There used to be a farmer in Donegal Town who drove to LIDL to shop on his tractor..

Slightly off, there IS a farmer from dunkineely... Maybe even bruckless area), who drives to Lidl in Donegal town on his tractor.
    Even at that it a tiny thing, more of a glorified ride on than a tractor. Always see him with big tailbacks behind him

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

overshoot wrote: »
    Slightly off, there IS a farmer from dunkineely... Maybe even bruckless area), who drives to Lidl in Donegal town on his tractor.
    Even at that it a tiny thing, more of a glorified ride on than a tractor. Always see him with big tailbacks behind him
    Haha, is that yer man with the tiny blue and black tractor but with a fancy cab?

Left Donegal some 7 years ago and it seems nothing has changed ;)

Still don't pay their taxes and vote Shinner and FF then hai ?

Still don't pay their taxes and vote Shinner and FF then hai ?

I keep my head down up here as a Labour/FG voter - mind you more than one sixty something church goer I know had to eat their words over the marriage referendum vote here locally :D

Lads would ye get off the road out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Tailgating goes on over the whole country not confined to any one part..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

overshoot wrote: »

Harold does not hold up the traffic as much as he use to after been told by the cops to pull to the side of the road if cars are behind him..

Advertisement