Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Think she missed weight for the fight, was only her second fight so hopefully she isnt rushed into the UFC and has a few more fights first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just noticed Cage Warriors is on BT tonight thought people might like to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Speaking of CW

Interested in Duffy going back

http://www.mmalatestnews.com/cage-warriors-boss-confirms-interest-free-agent-joe-duffy/

Bellator aligned with Bamma, Fishgold and the paddy resigning with CW a few weeks ago..... Its a brave new world folks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Decent win there from Shaw. Completely dominated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Wow

12 seconds lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paddy Pimblett v Julian Erosa set for Cage Warriors on the same night as UFC 205.

Artem finished him very quickly on TUF so I can see there being a bit of Twitter back and forth between himself and Pimblett unless Paddy wins it impressively :pac:

On another note, it's probably the only matchup in the world of MMA that I can think of that will have me hoping Pimblett wins. Very impressive from Cage Warriors to find someone more unlikeable than Paddy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    Incredbile submission from BJJ expert Mackenzie Dern last night at Legacy FC 61, some of the most high level jiu jitsu I've ever seen in the sport:

https://twitter.com/zpgifs/status/787130535218909184

(If there's a more appropriate thread for this, the mods can feel free to move it)
    I attempted the same last week when a big massive guy lay back on me during an omoplata. He was quite big, so I couldn't reach for the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pedro986

Anyone getting sick.of the influx of 'athletes' into the pro ranks of MMA. I watched WWE Wrestler Dave Batista victory over Lucero and it disgusted me that a soort I love is being adorned with this type of fighter, for want of a better word. He was exposed on his feet for 2 mins with no defence.to jabs and clinches, until he shot for a messy take down and used his size to dominate your man without doing too much.

This annoying anyone else, CM punk comes to mind, even Lesnar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Why do you care so much about something that happened over 4 years ago?

Athletes cross sports all the time. Deontay Wilder transitioned from Football to Boxing.

Schaub and Mitrione transitioned from football to MMA, Travis Browne was a college basketball player.

It's been happening since the dawn of time, find something worth while to give a toss about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pedro986

Why do you care so much about something that happened over 4 years ago?

Athletes cross sports all the time. Deontay Wilder transitioned from Football to Boxing.

Schaub and Mitrione transitioned from football to MMA, Travis Browne was a college basketball player.

It's been happening since the dawn of time, find something worth while to give a toss about.

Travis browne had fought for 5 years before transitioning same as mitrione. People moving from Wrestling is where my beef lies. These men arent athletes, they are actors. And should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

But he was able to take the guy down and beat him. So what's the problem? I've seen the fight, and its not pretty, but your argument would make more sense if you said that the dude who couldn't beat the pro wrestler shouldn't be fighting

Also, dunno how long your following mma, but the ties to pro wrestling go way back and are well documented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Pedro986 wrote: »
    Travis browne had fought for 5 years before transitioning same as mitrione. People moving from Wrestling is where my beef lies. These men arent athletes, they are actors. And should be treated as such.
    I would actually pay money for you to go say that to any pro wrestler (I'm presuming you mean them and not wrestler wrestlers)

Or even for you to try do what they do as often as they do.

Anyone getting sick.of the influx of 'athletes' into the pro ranks of MMA. I watched WWE Wrestler Dave Batista victory over Lucero and it disgusted me that a soort I love is being adorned with this type of fighter, for want of a better word. He was exposed on his feet for 2 mins with no defence.to jabs and clinches, until he shot for a messy take down and used his size to dominate your man without doing too much.

This annoying anyone else, CM punk comes to mind, even Lesnar.
    The guy he beat was 300lbs, with 45 fights over 13 years as a pro fighter. If he is losing to an "actor" making his debut, hit doesn't say much for him.

Lesnar had more legitimate experience than most HWs entering the UFC.

CM Punk was an actor. Nobody dispute that. But he's one guy. There's no massive influx of fake athletes to MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

so Tom Cruise can enter the ring and do what they do day?
    Come on man they are athletes
    They are only home about 40 days of year
    I don't watch pro wrestling these days but they put their bodies on the line too
    I actually don't think most mma fighters would handle the schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

smilerf wrote: »
    so Tom Cruise can enter the ring and do what they do day?
    Come on man they are athletes
    They are only home about 40 days of year
    I don't watch pro wrestling these days but they put their bodies on the line too
    I actually don't think most mma fighters would handle the schedule

Doesn't make them athletes, they are bodybuilder stuntmen, and I watch it the odd time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

This is kind of semantics. What they do requires a high degree of athleticism. Does that qualify them as athletes? The Oxford dictionary defines an athlete as:

noun. 1. a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill. Origin of athlete Expand. Latin.

They definitely fulfill a number of criteria above, the single criterion missing is sport.

The whole "athlete" debate comes up all over the place.
    There was a thread a while ago on the fitness forum whether of Bodybuilding was a sport, whether they were athletes, etc.
    Same with a heap of other is imagine.
    Why does it matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

to be fair, for the most part, pro wrestling doesn't market itself as a sport so this whole argument is a bit of a moot point

also, re punk brock and batista, before taking pro mma fights they were professional entertainers, however, wether you agree with it or not, they by definition became professional athletes upon taking pro mma fights. your opinion is kinda invalid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Chael v Tito set for Januaury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ASOT wrote: »
    Chael v Tito set for Januaury

Taking bets on that fight not happening..........

Taking bets on that fight not happening..........

Id be more inclined to bet on them both being full of HGH

Id be more inclined to bet on them both being full of HGH

In a way i'd be interested to see how Chael looks after 3 years out but at the same time it's a freakshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

In a way i'd be interested to see how Chael looks after 3 years out but at the same time it's a freakshow.

to be fair to chael, based on the training footage that surfaced recently he seems to have kept himself in reasonable shape, naturally or not its hard to know! meh its bellator, what else can you expect from them really

• Advertisement

Depp wrote:
    to be fair to chael, based on the training footage that surfaced recently he seems to have kept himself in reasonable shape, naturally or not its hard to know! meh its bellator, what else can you expect from them really

Completely agree. Watch UFC for quality. Watch Bellator for the freakshow!

Ah lads...baby slices fight canceled again. The other guy had "gross weight management issues"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLzCQ4gAOnw/?taken-by=james1gallagher

Judging by this call out of this lad who is 2 wins from his last 9 fights from Gallagher Ill go ahead and predict his record will be more padded than mvp's.

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BLzCQ4gAOnw/?taken-by=james1gallagher

Judging by this call out of this lad who is 2 wins from his last 9 fights from Gallagher Ill go ahead and predict his record will be more padded than mvp's.

So cringy, the comments are even worse.

So cringy, the comments are even worse.

He already has a deluded fan club,I know hes only young and dont expect him to be fighting for world titles yet he needs to develop but calling out a lad 2-9 ffs,and the win would be celebrated like it was a great achievement.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    ...but calling out a lad 2-9 ffs.

It wasn't even a real call out. They made zero mention of each other until the fight was announced, then suddenly it's "getting what you asked for".

I wasn't sure what you meant about 2-9. I thought that guy was 1-1...then I see his ammy record. Christ. I reckon I'd give him a go.

Mellor wrote: »
    It wasn't even a real call out. They made zero mention of each other until the fight was announced, then suddenly it's "getting what you asked for".

I wasn't sure what you meant about 2-9. I thought that guy was 1-1...then I see his ammy record. Christ. I reckon I'd give him a go.

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/789247915990585344

Looks like its a done deal,cant wait to hear them promote this one.

I seen that but I figured that it was something they both geared up after bout was confirmed.

Turns out Anthony Taylor “Pretty Boy” called him out a few weeks ago
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIGxi6tgmcB/

He's 1-1 as a pro, and 5-7 at ammy level (some fights missing from Sherdog).
    A lad losing a 3 x 2min decision shouldn't be turning pro imo

I seen that but I figured that it was something they both geared up after bout was confirmed.

Turns out Anthony Taylor “Pretty Boy” called him out a few weeks ago
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BIGxi6tgmcB/

He's 1-1 as a pro, and 5-7 at ammy level (some fights missing from Sherdog).
    A lad losing a 3 x 2min decision shouldn't be turning pro imo

Yeah I dont mean to insult the chap hes probably pursuing a dream but hes probably going down the journeyman road paid to fight propects and get a beating,like the Mexican roofers in boxing,hes not even the worst I've seen by far either a lad in England is a pro with a record of 0-14 in pro fights :pac:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Reece-Street-157229

Depp wrote: »

He's been doing a few grappling matches so would keep himself in good condition for those.

Bobby Lashley must be putting HGH in his pancakes & Testo on his cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Bobby Lashley must be putting HGH in his pancakes & Testo on his cereal.

I doubt it. Most 40 year olds look like that if they work out

I can't wait until I hit 40 and those late onset genetics kick in

I can't wait until I hit 40 and those late onset genetics kick in

Just look at Dana White! He's getting more and more like Vince McMahon by the day!

He does crossfit lads leave him alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Is 162 being shown on any Irish/British channel?

Spike tomorrow night at 22:00 for the main card. Avoid the internet all day tomorrow :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kayla Harrison, two time Olympic gold medalist in judo, has signed for WSOF. She'll start off as a fight analyst on their NYE card in New York while she continues to train in MMA presumably until she reaches the point where she feels comfortable to make her pro debut. She's looking to compete at 145.

As for my opinion of it, I hope she won't follow the same path as Rousey (the comparisons between the two are clear and unavoidable) in terms of which coaches she aligns herself with, and I hope she selects a camp that can really develop her striking because that'll ultimately decide whether she'll get to the top of the sport and stay there or not. Ronda has shown that a great judo base can work for a while, but you need to be well-rounded to truly succeed.

Full story: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/27/13435588/kayla-harrison-will-compete-in-mma-signs-with-wsof

martyos121 wrote: »
    Kayla Harrison, two time Olympic gold medalist in judo, has signed for WSOF. She'll start off as a fight analyst on their NYE card in New York while she continues to train in MMA presumably until she reaches the point where she feels comfortable to make her pro debut. She's looking to compete at 145.
    Wow, that's pretty big. I thought the latest was that she wasn't too interested in MMA. And the reports where just Rousey comparisons.

FWIW, Kayla is considerably better at Judo than Ronda was imo.
    Ronda got (an essentially 4th place) bronze in Beijing, the first American female to get a medal.
    Kayla became the first American (male or female) gold medallist in London, and went back to back in Rio.

She's also a division heavier, which suggests she'd belong in 145lbs.

Shane Carwin has signed with Rizin

Shane Carwin has signed with Rizin

The promotions outside of the UFC are the most exciting they have been in years. WSOF has Morales and Gathje who are imo in the top 5 of their divisions in the world plus Shields and Fitch too. Bellator are coming away from freak shows and signing legit talent and Rizin are gonna compete too. Very exciting times.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    The promotions outside of the UFC are the most exciting they have been in years. WSOF has Morales and Gathje who are imo in the top 5 of their divisions in the world plus Shields and Fitch too. Bellator are coming away from freak shows and signing legit talent and Rizin are gonna compete too. Very exciting times.

Disagree on Gaethje; hes quality but hes a ko waiting to happen. He wouldnt get away with what he does in WSOF in the UFC; if he was a dif division maybe but not at lw.

Disagree on Gaethje; hes quality but hes a ko waiting to happen. He wouldnt get away with what he does in WSOF in the UFC; if he was a dif division maybe but not at lw.

Yeah but I think i've heard he could make FW before where he would be a force. Fair point though he's not in the top 5 lightweights in the world at the minute. I would love to see him in the UFC though because I think if he left himself a little less open he has the potential to be a great fighter. Love watching him fight.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Yeah but I think i've heard he could make FW before where he would be a force. Fair point though he's not in the top 5 lightweights in the world at the minute. I would love to see him in the UFC though because I think if he left himself a little less open he has the potential to be a great fighter. Love watching him fight.

His fights are ridiculous, i love him and davey branch from wsof. Would love to see conor defend both belts like branch if he beats Alvarez

• Advertisement

His fights are ridiculous, i love him and davey branch from wsof. Would love to see conor defend both belts like branch if he beats Alvarez

Yeah that would be insane. Imagine if he fought Aldo and then and fought Khabib afterwards. Would be legendary.

Just on another point, you'd wonder if Gatjhe and Branch fight in these wars to gain the exposure they need from not being in the UFC? Because if they do it's genius. I'm living in Toronto and seriously considering going to the WSOF NYE card to see Gatjhe and Branch live. Two lads that will always give value for money

Advertisement