Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

termination of employment..?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 6:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Further to my other post, i have had a meeting today with my boss and colleague about my role.

attached was a letter from my boss on issues throughout the last year, somethings i dont entirely agree with (eg, completing a project only never to hear any feedback..)

so i have been told i got a meeting with boss and hr, monday in boardroom, it says the meeting is to discuss my capability to do the job and says it may result in termination of my employment.

is this ominous? it says i can be supported by a fellow employee or a member of a trade union.?

what should i do.?

if i resigned now would it be better in terms of getting a new job.?

i had doubts about myself in this role but was hoping to stick out another year.

feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

They seem to be following procedure for sacking you, thats why the said you can bring a co-worker. I go with a letter of resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Seems like this is news to you all of a sudden - had you no incling that this was coming? Where you advised of your poor performance and given assistance in bringing your performance up to the expected level?

As for bringing a colleague - yes once things are formall it would be fairly standard practice to advise ysomeone they can bring a Union rep / colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

I don't know the full background. But from your post it seems that all of a sudden they have decided they are not happy with your work. If that is the case, then no, they can't just sack you. The need to follow their disciplinary procedure. How long have you worked there. If it is a year plus, I would be questioning them as to why you successfully passed your probation period and why is it only now that they have decided you are not capable to carry out your job. Maybe they need to provide you with additional training, maybe their expectations were not clearly spelt out to you etc. An employer needs to be careful about firing people, they have to follow their own company procedures - which it seems in this case they are not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Carbon you appear to be all over the place; you posted here that you contract was terminated. In this thread you confirmed your work had been shaky and in this thread you admitt you've gotten written warning about poor performance half a year ago.

In short and as you were told in your previous thread; yes, you're likely to be let go due to poor performance, no, it's not illegal and appears to be done by the book but if you're lucky you may salvage it to a final warning and then really need to pull your socks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think we've got enough threads about this topic - closing this one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement