Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious work problem.

Options
  • 01-02-2012 7:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

I had a performance review today with my boss and basically he said he had no confidence to do the role, he singled out mistakes made several times and he mentioned no adhering to procedures etc.

I feel a bit hard done by, its an engineering role (electronics) but i have been done basically production support work for the majority of the time.

I am there a year, i knew things were shaky with me but did not expect this. I had no written warnings. I had meetings with my boss not sure if they were verbal or not, mainly about issues he had with me.

can they let an employee go for not performing?

he told me he needs to monitor me for work and since its a small company and the senior engineer i work with has no time for this not to mention the money involved , that its not going to work out.

have i any comeback?

on another note an agency have approached me recently about a graduate role associated with my masters (i did a year ago), what is the best way to deal with this in light of recent happenings at work?

sorry for the long winded letter, my current role is not associated with my masters at all, i was actually thinking of the graduate role as its to do with my study very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

hi guys,
    can they let an employee go for not performing?
    Yes.

If I were you I'd go for the graduate role. From your post it sounds like you already know that it would be the wise thing to do. Won't do any harm to put yourself forward for it anyway, you could always turn it down if you changed your mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

would i tell the agency for the grad role i am still employed or tell them i am leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

would i tell the agency for the grad role i am still employed or tell them i am leaving?
    They'll probably ask what you're doing at the moment so just tell them. They won't ask if you would leave since you are actually applying for the job. And if they do, tell them that you are prepared to leave. Think of yourself, be selfish. You don't owe the recruitment agency anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They'll probably ask you why your leaving your current role at some point if applying for another job. Just say you want to do something more in line with your Masters.

Advertisement