Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre for commuting hybrid Dublin City.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

jon1981 wrote: »
    OP, I gather cost is really an issue here as most people including myself have recommended the Marathon plus. If cost is an issue then go with the likes of the tyre that you linked just there. Personally I'd rather a tyre that has been proven.

Fair enough. Thanks for reply.

Thargor wrote: »
    Gatorskins, cheap and you'll go years without a puncture on them.

Any exact kind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

They are the same price as the Marathon plus. Probably a little faster than the marathon plus but I would say the marathon plus is more durable. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-road-wire-bead-tyre/

To quote another poster:
    I worked in a bike shop for a few years, and only once saw a Marathon Plus that needed a puncture repair, and that was a bent nail - bent in such a way that it lay with the point facing upwards.

I use Marathons myself (can't get Marathon Plus in 27" sizes), and have only had one puncture in five years of commuting.

They are the same price as the Marathon plus. Probably a little faster than the marathon plus but I would say the marathon plus is more durable. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-road-wire-bead-tyre/

To quote another poster:

GRand. marathon plus it is then.

What is best value

1. Buy online and get a shop to fit (shipping costs, shops may not do this etc )

Yes i know can fit myself but would rather a shop did it.

2. Bu directly in shop and get them to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why rather a shop? Changing tyres and tubes is kinda essential skill of commuting no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If the price difference isn't huge then buy in shop and ask them to fit, every time I've done it the shop has fit them for no extra cost on top of purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

GRand. marathon plus it is then.

What is best value

1. Buy online and get a shop to fit (shipping costs, shops may not do this etc )

Yes i know can fit myself but would rather a shop did it.

if you go to halfords you'll spend 47e on it and they will fit it, if you go to wiggle you'll spend 32e.

However I have noticed this on Halfords:

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/parts/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-bike-tyre-700c-x-35c

not the "plus" version but still might be robust enough, plenty of reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any exact kind ?
    what kind of tyres does your bike have? Order that size, if they make them, Ive only ever seen 700c now that I think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

if you go to halfords you'll spend 47e on it and they will fit it, if you go to wiggle you'll spend 32e.

However I have noticed this on Halfords:

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/parts/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-bike-tyre-700c-x-35c

not the "plus" version but still might be robust enough, plenty of reviews.

Halfords have a 3 for 2 offer on bike parts/equipment at the moment so you could pick up something else on top of two tyres and effectively get it for free.

beauf wrote: »
    Why rather a shop? Changing tyres and tubes is kinda essential skill of commuting no.

I knew thus would happen i.e. turn in to "just do it yourself" "a 2 year old could do it " " how dare you cycle a bike without knowing hiw to do this " etc

I just want to have it done in a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Actually no that's not what I meant.

I mean if you get a puncture when you are not near a bicycle shop, or they aren't open, when commuting to work for example. Its useful to have practiced swapping a tube, so you can get going again in 10 minutes or so. And that you have the right gear in your bag.

If your plan is just to walk home or to work or call someone, that fine. I have no help I can call, and can be a long way from a bicycle shop like an hours walk.

beauf wrote: »
    Actually no that's not what I meant.

I mean if you get a puncture when you are not near a bicycle shop, or they aren't open, when commuting to work for example. Its useful to have practiced swapping a tube, so you can get going again in 10 minutes or so. And that you have the right gear in your bag.

If your plan is just to walk home or to work or call someone, that fine. I have no help I can call, and can be a long way from a bicycle shop like an hours walk.

Oh ok. Sorry. Have ya now.

I don't tend to cycle too far from home and have help at hand.

But yeah. I must learn to do this myself but i have no tools or a bike stand etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Continental TourRide is also good.

Advertisement