Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre for commuting hybrid Dublin City.

Options
  • 09-05-2015 10:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have had 3 flats in the last 6 months on the rear tyre. I always keep the tyres pumped hard and the tyre itself is in decent condition and each time it happens a new tube is fitted.

I cycle to work, am based in Dublin and its only a short trip of 3k each way. I cycle a hybrid bike.

Can anyone recommend a good puncture resistant tyre if it exists ?

That dosent cost an arm and a leg. I don't care about the weight of it, does not need to be light weight etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I used to get about a puncture a week in Dublin city centre with the stock tyres that came with the bike (Giant cheapo tyres).

I have used Schwalbe Durano Plus, (have to be "Plus" as the plain Schwalbe Durano aren't puncture resistant as I understand it), for the past couple of years and I have had only one puncture in that time. That puncture happened only a week after I got them, which was not reassuring, but no punctures since then.

Some reviews find the tyres heavy and I don't know much about the performance side of it, but I'm pretty satisfied with the puncture resistance.

Others may have reviews of Armadillos etc. Good luck with your search.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I used to get about a puncture a week in Dublin city centre with the stock tyres that came with the bike (Giant cheapo tyres).

I have used Schwalbe Durano Plus, (have to be "Plus" as the plain Schwalbe Durano aren't puncture resistant as I understand it), for the past couple of years and I have had only one puncture in that time. That puncture happened only a week after I got them, which was not reassuring, but no punctures since then.

Some reviews find the tyres heavy and I don't know much about the performance side of it, but I'm pretty satisfied with the puncture resistance.

Others may have reviews of Armadillos etc. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for reply. Jaysus, a puncture a week was a lot.

Are there any special tubes needed for these type tyres or will a standard Joe soap one work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are reckoned to be about the most puncture resistant you can get. They're the ones the Dublin bikes use. Not that cheap (around 30-35 online) and they can be tough to get on and off, but they should suit your needs and you wont need to change them for a good while (if ever).

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are reckoned to be about the most puncture resistant you can get. They're the ones the Dublin bikes use. Not that cheap (around 30-35 online) and they can be tough to get on and off, but they should suit your needs and you wont need to change them for a good while (if ever).

Thanks. Is the tube used with these just a standard generic one or does a special more expensive tube have to be bought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinescu

Thanks. Is the tube used with these just a standard generic one or does a special more expensive tube have to be bought ?

Just standard tube, and can confirm , Shwalbe Marathon are really tough indeed. Theyre heavy and as was mention before about problems with fitting, but they do job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If weight isn't an issue then these are probably the best you'll get for commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

+100 to the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Had them for 6 years in Dublin as 700x23, 700x25 and 700x35, just one slow puncture over several thousand miles and a few tyres. No idea how many times I hit potholes or cycled across broken glass with them, never had a proper puncture.

Used 700x25 on a touring bike last summer across France with panniers, just one puncture in 2000km. Hard to get on alright but worth every cent.

Don't get cheap tubes, but you don't have to splash out either, just stick to a decent brand name. I got a few cheap tubes from Decathlon in Belfast a couple of years ago, a total waste of money.

Red Kev wrote: »
    +100 to the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Had them for 6 years in Dublin as 700x23, 700x25 and 700x35, just one slow puncture over several thousand miles and a few tyres. No idea how many times I hit potholes or cycled across broken glass with them, never had a proper puncture.

Used 700x25 on a touring bike last summer across France with panniers, just one puncture in 2000km. Hard to get on alright but worth every cent.

Don't get cheap tubes, but you don't have to splash out either, just stick to a decent brand name. I got a few cheap tubes from Decathlon in Belfast a couple of years ago, a total waste of money.

Thanks. Good to hear.

What is it that makes them so hard to get on, is it just that they are a tough rigid material and hard to work on is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭D33

Highly recommend Maxxis Re-Fuse, can pick them up in CSS in Tallaght, been commuting for yrs on them & only ever had one puncture after basically rolling over a full pint-glass some gob*hite threw onto the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I worked in a bike shop for a few years, and only once saw a Marathon Plus that needed a puncture repair, and that was a bent nail - bent in such a way that it lay with the point facing upwards.

I use Marathons myself (can't get Marathon Plus in 27" sizes), and have only had one puncture in five years of commuting.

For the record, we used to keep a "hall of fame" of the debris that caused the punctures, in a saucer by the till - it was clear that all of the glass was a certain size (about the size of a pinhead) - the bigger stuff doesn't actually get embedded in the tyre, and the smaller stuff gets embedded, but doesn't get pounded in deep enough to get through the tyre. Only a particular size is small enough to get embedded, and large enough to get fully pounded through to the tube. Part of the success of the Marathon (& Plus) is that they are thick enough at the tread to effectively make that "magic size" of glass too small to get pounded through their thicker treads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have Armadillos for years. Only had a handful of punctures. It depends to be glass that gets caught in the tread, then when you hit something like a pothole or bump it ramsthe glass through the tyre. Very few though. They say the Armadillos aren't that grippy. I've nothing to compare them with in that regard.

Consider changing your route. I aways some roads much worse bad for glass than others. A detour around them, is often worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

+1 on the Armadillo's. The new version is good and have had no punctures or problems in wet conditions. Have a set of the Elite 23's & regular 25's. I find the regular 25's to be a bit more robust. Another tyre to consider would be panaracer RiBMo. Have these on my MTB for the last 5 years, no punctures and still have a lot of life in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

+1 for Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I've been using them since October for commuting, the 700x32 size... Have gone over glass and debris countless times and never a bother. Plus - great grip and longetivity. My dad has been using them for 5 years 4 days a week for work. Not a single puncture - about 25,000 (yes thousand) kms..probably 3 sets of tires. Expensive but fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I have put a set of Tannus Tyres on my commuter. They are a solid tyre so no more punctures. They are a little harder to push then regular tyres, Just means you get fitter.

You can buy them on wiggle They are a bit expensive but for the price and the reassurance of no punctures I think its worth it, Also a bit hard to get on. Took me nearly 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

As already posted the marathon plus tyre is bomb proof,but im currently using Vittoria Randoneers on the hybrid and there excellent and between 10-15 euro cheaper too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not cheap (hence not what the OP is after) but Marathon Supremes are a fantastic tyre and also worth a look. Lighter than Durano plus, much lighter than marathon plus, but still pretty bomb proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Used Marathon Plus previously on a mountain bike I used to commute on. They are an excellent tyre - heavy but bomb proof.

Continental Gatorskins go up to 32c AFAIK, so may be an option as well.

Thanks all for taking teh time to reply

I might go for the Marathon Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I use "rimbos" which are robust.

Also a pita to get on but that is par for the course for bulletproof tyres I guess. Though I honestly don't know why robust tyres need to come with a metal reinforced rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another vote for Marathon Plus here. Come through situations where it was go over broken glass, or go under a bus, without puncturing. In my case, the weight of the cyclist makes the weight of the tyres something I haven't really worried about. And I've personally found the handling ok in the wet too (one of the other complaints about them).

There is a knack to putting them on, but youtube has several videos of how to do it. The method I found best involved toe straps - I just added two to my kit bag to go with the spare tube. Which I haven't had to use yet.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Stokolan wrote: »
    I have put a set of Tannus Tyres on my commuter. They are a solid tyre so no more punctures. They are a little harder to push then regular tyres, Just means you get fitter.
    That's good to hear, I'm planning on putting them on the new bike I'm building, along with the Gates Carbon belt-drive for the ultimate low maintenance commuter.
    Which ones did you go for? The R-grade Aither 1.1 should have less rolling resistence than a Schwalbe M+

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinescu

Standard Marathon (not plus) also worth a look. Much lighter, cheaper, not so strong as pluses, but have them two season and got maybe 2 punctures only.

Called in to my LBS and the onky tyre he had was this

http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/urban-touring/37-urban-tour-.html

Anyone have any knowledge of these Hutchinson tyres ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

+1000 Schwalbe Marathon Plus

I had them on a daily 20km round trip cycling through all manner of crap for 2 years on a hybrid. Bomb proof. Not the fastest tyre if you're using it on a road bike but provides plenty of confidence and ideal for a hybrid.

Perhaps run a marathon plus on the back and something cheaper on the front if cost is an issue?

jon1981 wrote: »
    +1000 Schwalbe Marathon Plus

I had them on a daily 20km round trip cycling through all manner of crap for 2 years on a hybrid. Bomb proof. Not the fastest tyre if you're using it on a road bike but provides plenty of confidence and ideal for a hybrid.

Perhaps run a marathon plus on the back and something cheaper on the front if cost is an issue?

Thanks. That's what im thinking of doing anyway. ......just putting it on the back. Have had no punctures at all on front.

Called in to my LBS and the onky tyre he had was this

http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/urban-touring/37-urban-tour-.html

Anyone have any knowledge of these Hutchinson tyres ?

Anyone on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No replies = no ones heard of it

OP, I gather cost is really an issue here as most people including myself have recommended the Marathon plus. If cost is an issue then go with the likes of the tyre that you linked just there. Personally I'd rather a tyre that has been proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gatorskins, cheap and you'll go years without a puncture on them.

Advertisement