Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA testing

Options
  • 15-01-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Phoenix wrote: »
    Anyone

Yes, at 23andme and at Family Tree DNA.
    If you want to find relatives you need a good paper trail to help you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I did one on my mother with FTDNA - an autosomal test.
    Over 500 matches.

I have so far managed to connect the closest match only - she turns out to be my third cousin.

Long chat with someone else who was apparently a close match and we can't connect with records yet but did find a set of people we're both related too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I did the basic 12 marker test with FTDNA a couple of years ago. Was very sceptical at first but then thought what the heck i'll give it a go, it only cost something like €20 as on offer.
    The results were very interesting. I was placed into the G Halpogroup, which is very uncommon in Ireland, about 1% of the population.
    I matched with one other person that had done a test. He was living in America and his ancestor had come from a place just 10 or so miles from where my family are based.
    It basically confirmed that the family in the next parish had a common ancestor at one point in time with my family. Very interesting. But of course there will be no written records to find this connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The last time I looked - about a year ago - in all the databases (on those sites that gave them) there was no other individual with my surname! It would however confirm/deny stories in the family of our origins.

• Advertisement

hblock21 wrote: »
    I did the basic 12 marker test with FTDNA a couple of years ago. Was very sceptical at first but then thought what the heck i'll give it a go, it only cost something like €20 as on offer.
    The results were very interesting. I was placed into the G Halpogroup, which is very uncommon in Ireland, about 1% of the population.
    I matched with one other person that had done a test. He was living in America and his ancestor had come from a place just 10 or so miles from where my family are based.
    It basically confirmed that the family in the next parish had a common ancestor at one point in time with my family. Very interesting. But of course there will be no written records to find this connection.

G, wow. You could be related to Stalin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I've done the autosomal (Family Finder) test with FTDNA, and I'm currently waiting on my dads results too...

Have found a few groups of matches where we share a common ancestor but we haven't found the yet, the more people you test in your own family, parents ideally first or even grandparents, the more you can sort the matches into different lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I've done fairly extensive testing, both autosomal and Y-DNA. Purchased kits from 23andMe, FTDNA and Ancestry.com. I admin a Y-DNA project for my surname at FTDNA.

It can be extremely helpful, but it can also be incredibly frustrating. It's important to establish what you want out of the test and to make sure you understand how realistic or unrealistic that result can be before going in. Far too many people order these tests without really understanding what they're buying (which I can't understand at all; the tests aren't cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Like RGM I've done extensive testing, though in my case I wasn't particulary interested in it from a genealogical point of view as oppose to looking at deep history.

Let me see I've done the following:
    • 111 STR's Y-Chromosome: FamilytreeDNA
    • Large scale SNP testing with FTDNA, finally discovered R1b-DF41 (second person in FTDNA database to test positive for it)
    • Full Y-Chromosome sequencing with FGC (Full Genomes Corp)
    • Autosomal testing: 23andme (tranfered to FamilytreeDNA -- familyfinder product)

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. One of little reaserch projects I'm doing at the moment involves checking various surnames connected to the Uí Briúin of Connacht and seeing if they fall into a specific haplogroup (discovered in last 6 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm considering getting genetic testing but I've read that once you go back past your grandparents the results are too vague. Has the testing improved so that it is more specific or would I have to pay a grand to get the kind of testing that they did for the 'hairy bikers' for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

JT26

This is how my dads Ethnicity is represented on FTDNA

JT26 wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump but another quick question,doing these tests can they tell what part of Europe your genome came from?or will it be able to tell if there has been history of an ancestor of another race etc?
    Thanks!

Broadly speaking they can tell you what other populations you are similar too. As far as detecting ancestry from a different population, I think they would have to have been in the last 6 or 8 generations as most likey most subsequent descendants would be Irish (assuming) and the non Irish part would get "diluted" very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

dido2 wrote: »
    JT26

This is how my dads Ethnicity is represented on FTDNA

When I click on the above, all I see is a blank screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

tabbey wrote: »
    When I click on the above, all I see is a blank screen.

Me too. Looks like a jpeg but when you copy the link it's boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=372733&d=1451170617

I'll try again!!!

http://www. boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=372748&d=1451219413

Nope.

Hit 'Submit Reply'. Go down to 'Manage attachments' and click it. Choose the jpeg from your hard drive. On the right, click 'Upload'. At the bottom, click 'Close window'. Add whatever text you want, and click 'Submit reply'.

Now right-click (or ctrl-click on a Mac) the file and choose 'Copy link'.

Go to 'Edit post'.

In the post's field, hit the Return button a couple of times to get you down below your reply text. Paste in the link you've copied.

Type

[ IMG ] (with no spaces) followed by [ /IMG ] (no spaces again) at the beginning and end of the filename.

'Submit reply'.

Now your image should be showing.

Ah.

372748.JPG

372748.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I'm thinking of buying the "Comprehensive Genome" product from FTDNA (it's the most expensive product at the bottom of this page).

I'm completely new to this, so perhaps someone can advise me. Here's what I'd like to get out of the test, in plain English:
    • Information about where my ancestors are from geographically. I'm not very impressed with the images above. I know that mine would look relatively similar already - so why would I pay for a blue blob over Ireland? Instead I would like to see what percentage of me is Arab or African, or Central European etc.
    • Connect with people who share a common ancestor and identify how far back the common ancestor lived. I understand that I could find these people as long as they are FTDNA members, but what about connecting with members of 23andme and similar groups?
    • Be part of a project for people who share my surname and also groups who share the surname of my mother. But what is the purpose of such groups? What information are they able to learn / discover?

In addition, could someone explain to me what is meant by a "marker"? This test would identify 111 markers - but what does that mean, exactly? What would it tell me about myself and my ancestry? What does it mean when they claim the test "unlocks up to 300,000 years of history"?

Also, what else can be learned from doing Y tests and also M tests?

Sorry for all the questions :)

FURET

That image I posted is for my dad and he is sll Irish so he's only going to get British Isles along with a tiny bit of European

That image is from the Family finder test from FTDNA, but he also has about 800 dna matches aswell, some have trees, some have surnames, others have nothing at all, a lot though have uploaded to a free website www.gedmatch.com which takes uploads from all 3 big companies, FTDNA, Ancestry and 23andme..

I had my dads basic MT Test done and he is the same maternal haplogroup as my mother too so I will have to do the bigger MT Test for both to see which subgroup they are in..

for someone starting out the Family finder is the best one as it gives matches from within the last 5 to 6 generations whereas Y DNA and MT DNA matches could be from thousands of years ago..

Are these tests related at all to the medical DNA tests that tell you what illnesses you're liable to, what medicines will and won't work on you and so on?

This is how my top matches come up, top 2 are my parents, 3rd one is my half uncle

372826.JPG

If you have origins other than the British Isles, FTDNA does break that down for you.

Here's one for my aunt, which I have arbitrarily decided means I am a Viking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

23and me is the only one of the 3 that does medical testing aswell which is why it's more expensive than the other 2, FTDNA works out the cheapest from Ireland its about €99 altogether including postage etc, whereas Ancestry is about €160, but with ancestry you can then transfer your results to FTDNA for free, then to unlock all of your matches you need to either get 4 people to use a link from your account to unlock for free or pay $39, so for just under €200 you could have your DNA in 2 databases, the only downside to doing it that way is if you want to order a MT or Y test from FTDNA you will have to submit a new sample, whereas if you test with them originally they hold on to your sample, some people prefer this option if its a test done on older people who they may at some point want to get Y or MT testing done on. FTDNA will also send you swabs and hold them until you can pay for testing if you need to get someone tested but can't afford to pay right now..

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If you have origins other than the British Isles, FTDNA does break that down for you.

Here's one for my aunt, which I have arbitrarily decided means I am a Viking.

Ultimately we all have ancestry outside the British Isles - so how come your aunt's shows more detail than dido2's father's?

It's just a different screen. Dido2's father probably has a breakdown too but it might be 100% British Isles.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My dad is 88% British Isles and 12 % western European

His half brother has a slightly different make up

372832.JPG

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's just a different screen. Dido2's father probably has a breakdown too but it might be 100% British Isles.

Granted but I suppose my question is that he can't possibly be 100% British Isles because ultimately people migrated there from the Med, Africa, and continental Europe. I would at least have expected to see some miniscule percentages from other regions. Would the lack of such percentages be because he went for the Y37 test rather than the Y111 test?

Advertisement