Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving and urine samples

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭colbully

I could do that but if that failed..it could go pear shaped for me ..i was pulled at 12.30am an according to the report the sample was taken at 3.17am....i was told i could take my sample of urine as a souvenier of the occasion...myself ,the doctor an the guard present at the time of giving the sample, we all had a laugh at this as i said i didnt want to remember this occasion..little did i know i could hav taken that sample an have it tested myself as i wasnt told that on tjhe night by the doc or gard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

colbully wrote: »

I hope the gardaí will prosecute her for wasting their time. I am surprised as usually the Gardaí are quite astute as spotting this sort of malicious accusation.

You must have missed the fact that the OP was in fact over the limit, no matter her intention the OP was over the limit and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He would have to reject the FPN and go to court. At court he could plead guilty and ask for the disqualification to be delayed. With the FPN the period is automatically awarded with it's own start date.
    In court it's a minimum one-year ban though, and he risks a larger fine. Whereas with the FPN you're guaranteed a six-month ban and €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

seamus wrote: »
    In court it's a minimum one-year ban though, and he risks a larger fine. Whereas with the FPN you're guaranteed a six-month ban and €400.
    Indeed, but by accepting the FPN he is at the mercy of the RSA as to when the disqualification period starts.

Im just wondering is it possible to get a ban deffered? I could do with still being on the road until april or may at the latest due to family an work commitments...id take my ban then if i could
    I think you have 56 days to pay and then the disqualification starts on a date at least 28 days after that. So you could hang on to the notice until the 55th day and then pay it.

• Advertisement

Does 110mg not mean 6 months of a ban an 400euro fine??

Ya its 6 months €400 if fixed notice issues, if not and the matter is in Court then its 1 year, so you can fight it on a few points and take risk of 1 year instead of 6 months. Get good advice from a good road traffic solicitor who knows the judges etc.

The relevant sections

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0025/sec0029.html#sec29

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0025/sec0065.html#sec65

Indeed, but by accepting the FPN he is at the mercy of the RSA as to when the disqualification period starts.

If he fights it its a 1 year ban if found guilty.

If he fights it its a 1 year ban if found guilty.
    Would my suggestion to delay paying the FPN work as to delay the ban?

Would my suggestion to delay paying the FPN work as to delay the ban?

its risky, if they do not receive the payment etc. within the time allowed, then it goes to court. Its a simple choice take 6 months now (if I was doing that I would send off FPN ASAP rather than risk post problems or some other issue) or fight it and risk 1 year.

Any ideas when the FPN would arrive ? Whos discretion is that at ? Rsa ? Gardai?

• Advertisement

You should have the FPN within 2 to 4 weeks at most.

Then a 56 day clock starts in which you can decide to accept and pay or ignore and it goes to court.

Once you pay you will get a letter from the RSA stating your ban period which is normally around 28 days after you pay the FPN.

When you get the FPN weight up your options carefully. If you play your cards right as to when you pay the FPN you can easily stay on the road till May.

So if i accept the fpn an decide to pay it on day 50 of the 56day limit ..i then get a further 28 days from the date i paid? So i can drive all this time ?

So if i accept the fpn an decide to pay it on day 50 of the 56day limit ..i then get a further 28 days from the date i paid? So i can drive all this time ?
    Yes!

Thank u threelinewhip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I could do that but if that failed..it could go pear shaped for me ..i was pulled at 12.30am an according to the report the sample was taken at 3.17am....i was told i could take my sample of urine as a souvenier of the occasion...myself ,the doctor an the guard present at the time of giving the sample, we all had a laugh at this as i said i didnt want to remember this occasion..little did i know i could hav taken that sample an have it tested myself as i wasnt told that on tjhe night by the doc or gard

What did you think it was being offered to you for?

well as i wasnt told wha i was being offered it for,,i didnt have a clue...

well as i wasnt told wha i was being offered it for,,i didnt have a clue...
    More ammo for the solicitor.

im not defending myself here or anything,,as i know my wrong doing and my punishment is exactly what i needed to make sure mistakes like this wont ever happen again.. but has independant testing of a urine sample ever come back UNDER the limits ???

im not defending myself here or anything,,as i know my wrong doing and my punishment is exactly what i needed to make sure mistakes like this wont ever happen again.. but has independant testing of a urine sample ever come back UNDER the limits ???

Every one I have seen which is few, was over the reading given by the MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

More ammo for the solicitor.

It'd be a fierce desperate solicitor who'd try that. The Garda is legally obliged to offer a sample to the driver. He is not obliged to advise him on a defence.

• Advertisement

i dont think i will be fighting this one lads..im holding my hands up an accepting my stupidty an my mistakes...6 months off the road isnt the end of the world an i will work around it in whatever way i can

Lets us know when they send you the notice. We can then work out when the ban will run from there.

Lets us know when they send you the notice. We can then work out when the ban will run from there.

i will indeed threelinewhip..hopefully what u said earlier.about the 56.day period an then the 28 day period will allow me to stay driving for anothrr month or so...ive personally never heard of the 56period decision period on an FPN...altough this may be different for a dd case

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

seamus wrote: »
    Holy ****, my apologies!

I was looking at the wrong figures. You're right.

That was worth reading 84 posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IGALLA11

Hi this is my first post too. What if you had 4 big glasses of wine between 8.30 - 12.00, had several trips to the loo then had to give a sample at 3.17am what are the chances of a good outcome here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IGALLA11 wrote: »
    Hi this is my first post too. What if you had 4 big glasses of wine between 8.30 - 12.00, had several trips to the loo then had to give a sample at 3.17am what are the chances of a good outcome here

Zero large glass of wine is close to three units four is twelve you metabolise one an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well it happened to him 4 years ago.... He's probably forgotten now

Advertisement