Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Cianos wrote: »
    Inside Man
    Stumbled across this by chance and had a watch. Thought it was great. Nice pace to it, the attention to detail was good, sharp dialogue and believable characters.

I stumbled across it aswell, Clive Owen of course drew me in but a great film!

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Went to see Marley and me. Was a decent enough film.

Also, watched Unforgiven, really enjoyed that movie.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

"The Great Dictator" with Charlie Chaplin, a masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

watched the departed for the 1st time last night

god damm , what an over rated movie , cant think of a movie that has disapointed me as much in a long time

all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

irish_bob wrote: »
    watched the departed for the 1st time last night

god damm , what an over rated movie , cant think of a movie that has disapointed me as much in a long time

all over the place

I was also a virgin re: The Departed until last night . . . while the story was interesting, I thought it was about half an hour too long -- cut out the scenes with Cameron Diaz, and it would've been much better. :p

Just finished watching Doubt, and I thought it was a great film. It's been mentioned already, but the acting was suberb - great casting - and I also think the cinematography was great. As for the execution of the plot, I think I'm a fan of storylines where the audience member has to do a little bit of work when the film is over. I also discovered that in the original production of the play (Doubt: A Parable), the actor playing the priest was the only one to know the "truth"; none of the other actors knew whether or not the priest was guilty or innocent. (It'd be cool to see how the priest would've interpreted the role differently. But I digress . . . )

• Advertisement

SeekUp wrote: »
    I was also a virgin re: The Departed until last night . . . while the story was interesting, I thought it was about half an hour too long -- cut out the scenes with Cameron Diaz, and it would've been much better. :p

Diaz is'nt in the Departed. Are you refering to Gangs of New York perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

SeekUp wrote: »
    I also discovered that in the original production of the play (Doubt: A Parable), the actor playing the priest was the only one to know the "truth"; none of the other actors knew whether or not the priest was guilty or innocent.

What? Did they change the cast every night? Or did they only do one production?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Zero Effect
    Bill Pullman as a reclusive private investigator claiming to be the best in the world,
    Ben Stiller is his assistant gets him a case of a man who lost his car keys which hold the key to a safe deposit box, and he is being blackmailed to get it back. Of course nothing is as it seems!

Quite funny in places, Pullman is great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Saved! with Jena Malone....know what?, she is a total hottie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Just watched 'The Big Lebowski' for the first time ... brilliant, i love it when i discover a movie that everyone already knows about and actually like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

i watched full metal jacket for the first time last night. I loved the first half, it was one of the funniest 20 minutes i have ever watched.

One thing i love about watching an old classic for the first time after a few years of its release is to catch all of the references taken from the movie in tv shows like the simpsons or south park and finally realise where it came from.

Diaz is'nt in the Departed. Are you refering to Gangs of New York perhaps?

Dammit!!! I meant Gangs of New York! I always do that! (Funny enough, I lost interest during The Departed and didn't finish watching it . . . )

What? Did they change the cast every night? Or did they only do one production?

Well the "truth" is never revealed in the play (or the movie for that matter), so the other actors never knew what the actor playing the priest was told. Presumably, the role of the priest was played a bit differently depending on whether the actor was told he was guilty or innocent; I think it was more for the actor's motivation.

If that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Watched Rambo on blu-ray last night. High def blood rules :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

On DVD -

Iron Man
    Jumper
    Only You
    Wall.E
    Meet Dave
    Quantum of Solace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

quantum of solace : didn't really like it, story is a bit stupid
    the departed : one of the best films i've seen in my life
    body of lies :good film, enjoyed it
    taken : good film,liked Liam Neilson in the film
    yes man : was a nice sorta film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

The Departed - I was wrecked watching it, had seen half before and had been told a spoiler. However - what a movie!!!!

The Changling - How did Jolie get a nomination for that. Basically she just repeated "I want my son" for the entirity.

The Watchmen - Long, convulted yet enjoyable I thought.

My new plan is to watch films that don't start with "The"

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Macsimus

bullet64 wrote: »
    hello i am new to this forum lark and don't know how to go about it. seen a great film on rte 2 foreign film about a couple who meet as kids and dare each other to do things each time one of them won they had to pass back a tin box that the boys mother gave to him does anybody know the name of this film or where to find it, best film i have seen in a long time. also watched GRAN TORINO latley clint eastwood is brilliant in it thanks:D

Dude you are killing me- i saw that movie too and its excellent , but also couldnt remember the name, but had to find out - after 30 mins of Googling its 'Love me if You Dare' in English or Jeux D'enfants (i think) in french - highly recommended

some other films I saw recently:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - brilliant film - watch it

Benjamin Button- pure feckin rubbish

The Fall - enjoyed it but wont be for everyone

The Reader - decent story

Milk - Penn and Brolin are excellent

Outlander - Like the 13th warrior meets Predator - but on a small budget and with Jim (Jesus) Cavizel as star - corny b movie, but i loved it - if your missus makes you watch mama mia or some other chick flick tripe, get your own back by making her watch this

The Class - the title says it all - top notch

Buba Ho Tep - saw this again recently - quality Campbell- Also saw 'My Name is Bruce' - meh

Twillight - pooh on a stick

Chocolate - with Jeeja Yanin - enjoyable martial arts flick - we'll definitely see Yanin alongside her hero Tony Jaa in the future

Man on Wire - good stuff

Hunger - thought it was great

Frost/Nixon - excellent movie

Mongol - beautifully shot film - bit slow in the middle though

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Macsimus

The Departed - I was wrecked watching it, had seen half before and had been told a spoiler. However - what a movie!!!!

The Changling - How did Jolie get a nomination for that. Basically she just repeated "I want my son" for the entirity.

The Watchmen - Long, convulted yet enjoyable I thought.

My new plan is to watch films that don't start with "The"

not sure this is a sound plan - especially as its 'Watchmen' and 'Changeling', neither has a 'the' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

Ooops!

Oh everything seems to have a the in front of it these days I get confubbled.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Quantum of Solace on Blu-Ray its the first time i have noticed a difference in quality but TBH i didn't like the movie, Bond's not my thing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This week so far I've watched Barton Fink and Taken.

Barton Fink was decent but I was slightly confused in the second half of the film. Worth a watch.

Taken was very good. I was very impressed. I knew the jist of what the story was but didn't realise as to how much of an actioner it really was. Good to see Liam Neeson doing a very different role for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sillyputty wrote: »
    Just watched 'The Big Lebowski' for the first time ... brilliant, i love it when i discover a movie that everyone already knows about and actually like it.
    My favourite movie ever.

I've watched

Appaloosa: A decent western, nothing spectacular but a decent movie nontheless.

Hero Wanted: Not the best ever, but its watchable. Modern day set in a seedier world than most movies. I like it.

Echelon Conspiracy: Could have been so much better, a rip off of Eagle Eye which is probably a worse movie imo.

Twelve Angry: My Second time this year already, and I'm talking about the 1957 version. I love this movie, one of my all time favourites. A must watch for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Amelie - If you don't like subtitles, forget it. Great French film altogether

The Davinci Code - I've seen it before & I was let down cos I read the book & thought the film didn't compare but for some reason I watched it again. Not amazing but still entertaining enough.

Jumper - Not great. I REALLY didn't like Rachel Bilson in it. She was the same as in OC, wooden. She drove me nuts the whole way through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I REALLY didn't like Rachel Bilson in it. She was the same as in OC, wooden. She drove me nuts the whole way through.

Jealous female, right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Jealous female, right? :rolleyes:
    I know it sounds that way, but really I'm not. She was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

In Bruges~7/10

Green Street 2~6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Friday the 13th (2009)

Just awful. I was very disappointed as I thought Marcus Nispel did a good job on the "Texas'' remake.

This tripe just made no sense in parts. Poorly executed. Liked the way Jason ran and was a bit inventive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

watched twilight http://snazzyjobs.ie/directory/index.php/reviews/dvd/47 god that was so bad serious can not believe all the hype about this movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Today I watched Aliens, O Brother, Where Art Thou? and There's Something About Mary.

Aliens is absolutely fantastic. I would highly recommend this movie. In my opinion James Cameron did a much better job than Ridley Scott did.

O Brother, Where Art Thou for me was very boring. I thought the soundtrack was great but I never really got into it. Nothing really grasped my attention that much during the course of the film.

There's Something About Mary.......... Absolute rubbish.

I also watched Memento for the third time on RTE last night. Fantastic film but watching it three times just felt boring because I knew what was going on. Maybe just watch it twice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement