Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Knife block for AstraMonti

FPSY68RHYTI3WLK.MEDIUM.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah, I think he does. Same emails this morning.

To be fair JC is a savage sprinter and track cyclist so not surprising he's mopping up most of the ones out his way.

A trackie you say? Now I want to know who he is and I'm not even on strava!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

this is his profile, maybe you can tell from the picture

http://app.strava.com/athletes/340317

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    A trackie you say? Now I want to know who he is and I'm not even on strava!

He showed up to Duane Delaney (and won Bs and overall) and Vets. Not sure he did anything else.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Further evidence of the long term effects of doping:

Lance can't even qualify for the Beer Mile world championships

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beasty wrote: »

I know what my training aims are for next year :D

It's more likely that he bailed instead of posting a bad time, which he was heading for.

Notice in the video how her stomach slowly distends each lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In fairness to him he had to drink Bud.

In fairness to him he had to drink Bud.

My mother didn't raise a quitter... or did she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

rap%2Bbattle.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Can we have a moaning about other road users mega thread?

We do: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056767318

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

On a lighter note, I finally managed to get the back of my cateye cadence/speed sensor last night to change the battery. The thing is a ****ing nightmare. Tried the twisty mechanism, no joy and eventually had to pry the back off with a knife. Back in cadencence measuring business. Speaking of, the little computer you put on the holder on the handle bars has started to rattle quite badly, as if the computer is loose in the holder. Anyone experience this and know how to fix it?

MOD VOICE: Moved to the grumpy thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

On a lighter note, I finally managed to get the back of my cateye cadence/speed sensor last night to change the battery. The thing is a ****ing nightmare. Tried the twisty mechanism, no joy and eventually had to pry the back off with a knife. Back in cadencence measuring business. Speaking of, the little computer you put on the holder on the handle bars has started to rattle quite badly, as if the computer is loose in the holder. Anyone experience this and know how to fix it?

My son and I both had Cateye Mitys, Very same problem. I stuck a bit of rubber to the holder, worked for a while. Eventually, I gave mine away, and used it as an excuse to buy a Garmin.

• Advertisement

Spacers with your spacers anyone?

_86_zpsd732ea5e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

_86_zpsd732ea5e.jpg

:/ always feel sad in these cases that an lbs might have sold someone a bike they knew was the wrong size.
    Stil have to get my steerer cut myself, there's a fugly 15mm above the stem;(

slap/dash wrote: »
    :/ always feel sad in these cases that an lbs might have sold someone a bike they knew was the wrong size.
    Stil have to get my steerer cut myself, there's a fugly 15mm above the stem;(

Yup. I feel sad for bikes that are too big as well, and have saddles slammed into the seat tubes. They look so squashed. At least you can stack spacers onto a too small bike and get an enormous seat post. I think they have racy potential! But their squashed brethren? There's not a whole lot you can do to make that even try to make them fit :(

At least your spacers are above your stem!

Yup. I feel sad for bikes that are too big as well, and have saddles slammed into the seat tubes. They look so squashed. At least you can stack spacers onto a too small bike and get an enormous seat post. I think they have racy potential! But their squashed brethren? There's not a whole lot you can do to make that even try to make them fit :(

At least your spacers are above your stem!

Tru. I'd personally worry a little with that many spacers and overlong stems creating excess torque someplace.

I do have spacers below... The shame

And that bottle cage belongs on a vintage ride

• Advertisement

And that bottle cage belongs on a vintage ride

I will offer to take the bottle cage off him. I'll be super generous and take the bike with it ;)

And ssssh…no one can see your spacers here!

I have a quill stem on my track bike (and all my bikes currently but that will change soon hopefully!) and in an effort to get the bars down as low as possible I 'slammed' it into the frame. I then started a race and by the first bend the bars were going sideways and the bike was going straight on :eek: The wedge at the bottom of the stem had no head tube to wedge into, I'd pushed it down too far :o

So you can go too low. Stack at will!

I will offer to take the bottle cage off him. I'll be super generous and take the bike with it ;)

And ssssh…no one can see your spacers here!

I have a quill stem on my track bike (and all my bikes currently but that will change soon hopefully!) and in an effort to get the bars down as low as possible I 'slammed' it into the frame. I then started a race and by the first bend the bars were going sideways and the bike was going straight on :eek: The wedge at the bottom of the stem had no head tube to wedge into, I'd pushed it down too far :o

So you can go too low. Stack at will!

I didn't like quill stems, but I was riding a 56 univega way too small for me back then and pushing 53x16 OUCH

I didn't like quill stems, but I was riding a 56 univega way too small for me back then and pushing 53x16 OUCH

Legs of steel!

Quill stems are prettier though...

Legs of steel!

Quill stems are prettier though...

Legs of steel; knees of rubber.

Yeah a nice quill stem is really a design classic

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I feel bad now, I just had chicken tonight.

Puggy wrote: »
    I feel bad now, I just had chicken tonight.

Hens, like all livestock are cute and yummy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

PP just released their odds for Paris Roubaix, Lars Boom sounds a great shout e/w at 33/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

What happens if you try to go on a long distance bike tour, like right across Africa or Asia but you can't grow a proper beard? Will the adventure police turn you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Anyone familiar with Canyon bikes, specifically their 2014 Roadlite range from late last year to early this year? I'm sure this applies to plenty of other bikes with carbon forks as well. I'd like to swap to a slightly shorter stem, but the last time I attempted removing the top cap and bolt to move some spacers up, I messed it up quite stupidly because I didn't really understand how the bolt works (I'm pretty sure it's some variety of expansion plug), and ended up taking the bolt out and losing the rest of the mechanism somewhere down the steerer tube :) The lbs had to come to the rescue. Do I just need to loosen it a little bit, and then lift the whole thing out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

hueylewis wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with Canyon bikes, specifically their 2014 Roadlite range from late last year to early this year? I'm sure this applies to plenty of other bikes with carbon forks as well. I'd like to swap to a slightly shorter stem, but the last time I attempted removing the top cap and bolt to move some spacers up, I messed it up quite stupidly because I didn't really understand how the bolt works (I'm pretty sure it's some variety of expansion plug), and ended up taking the bolt out and losing the rest of the mechanism somewhere down the steerer tube :) The lbs had to come to the rescue. Do I just need to loosen it a little bit, and then lift the whole thing out?

If it is a hollow tube then take off the "cap" by sticking your finger in and pulling it off... then just loosen the screws on the stem. Don't yank it off, just twist it side to side. Be careful of the spacers being stuck onto the stem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hardy chap on the Contarf Sutton track this morning - short sleeved jersey with the front zip at half mast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Bad day at skerries train station today. Saw 6 snipped cable locks on the ground. For those who think that the guards do nothing I met the bike guard confronting a gang of 8 lads and taking a bike off them. Said he as cycling all over the town to try and find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Humiliated last night. Rolling upto a red traffic light and I go to put my hand on the bollard beside me like I have done 100 times before. As I stopped right beside it, I noted my feet were at 6 and 12, and I thought, not ideal for starting off but it is what it is.

I spent so long thinking about this that I forgot to put my arm out to rest and fell over, much to the amusement of the line of stationary traffic beside me I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

*Stands up*

I don't know what a tracker mortgage KOM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    Humiliated last night. Rolling upto a red traffic light and I go to put my hand on the bollard beside me like I have done 100 times before. As I stopped right beside it, I noted my feet were at 6 and 12, and I thought, not ideal for starting off but it is what it is.

I spent so long thinking about this that I forgot to put my arm out to rest and fell over, much to the amusement of the line of stationary traffic beside me I presume.

fixed gear? not pedal backwards to get feet as you like, I always give myself a little push off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

*Stands up*

I don't know what a tracker mortgage KOM is.

King of (the) Mountain. The fastest person to cycle a particular 'segment' (often a hill or climb) on Strava.
    Will leave to others to explain all other terms if needed (or to correct me)

manafana wrote: »
    fixed gear? not pedal backwards to get feet as you like, I always give myself a little push off

Fixed gear. If I had been in anyway focused I would have either rolled back slightly or track stand or just clipped out. I realised where my feet were, looked down and thought to myself that will be a slow start but, quite oddly, the normal reactions that kick in, the things you don't think about on a conscious level, never kicked in, normally as I realised I wasn't balanced or leaning on anything, I would have clipped out without thinking, or I would have stood up and got my balance, this time, nothing, just fell over, feet still clipped in, one hand still on the handlebar (the other one I had taken off to look at my feet for some reason) and my ass still on the saddle as my side hit the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Anybody had a look at this Velon thing that all the pro teams are tweeting about? If it means that more teams can do fan engagement as well as the likes of OGE, then I'm all for it. I've seen BMC's and Giant-Shimano's attempts, and while well intentioned, they're just a little too po-faced and clean-cut to really catch on. Then some of the teams I'm surprised are on-board at all - Lampre Merida in particular. I'm not quite sure where they are going to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anyone spot the new Toyota commercial which features a brief moment of someone on a TT bike getting the broom wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Anybody had a look at this Velon thing that all the pro teams are tweeting about? If it means that more teams can do fan engagement as well as the likes of OGE, then I'm all for it. I've seen BMC's and Giant-Shimano's attempts, and while well intentioned, they're just a little too po-faced and clean-cut to really catch on. Then some of the teams I'm surprised are on-board at all - Lampre Merida in particular. I'm not quite sure where they are going to go with it.

Yes Orica are at the front of what is needed to promote cycling, this was all started by Cervelo back in the day. Velon also owns a share of InCycle so that explains how they get such top quality guests on shows. Think cycling really needs to think outside the box and tap the market not of just showing a race as it has done but more information and data to amaze people

On another note saw this on cycling tips http://www.strava.com/activities/216786988/segments/5120351015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

General question lads. When you are cycling a long distance solo and you want to stop for coffee or food, how do you secure the bike? I have a kryptonite lock but its heavier than the bike is. I leave it on a bike rack in work for the commute in and don't really fancy lumping it around for 100 km +. But I equally don't fancy my trusty steed getting nicked by a scober while I enjoy my coffee. Is there a solution for this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1. Eat on the bike

2. Stop somewhere where you can see the bike while you order your food.

I got a kryptonite mini and it fits neatly in my jersey pocket. Failing this, leave it underneath a more expensive bike or what I have done once or twice, if the shop is big enough, pop in your head and say that you forgot your lock, could you leave it inside the door?

Riders eye view of the madison:

The slingshot is just all kinds of cool. Scary but cool.

• Advertisement

Riders eye view of the madison:

The slingshot is just all kinds of cool. Scary but cool.

You're in the right club, so you know who to ask to let us have a go at it.

You're in the right club, so you know who to ask to let us have a go at it.

And I will. After I get my nerve back when Track opens again. Didn't Like his hand position though, I've never been comfy there on a Track bike. He must have Spink/ spinx (sp) bars?

In other news I'm heading out on my first out-of-the-carpark spin up the road this evening. I'm inordinately excited!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

In other news I'm heading out on my first out-of-the-carpark spin up the road this evening. I'm inordinately excited!!
    Be mindful that laughing like a maniac at beimg on a proper road will make other road user uncomfortable...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Be mindful that laughing like a maniac at beimg on a proper road will make other road user uncomfortable...
    Especially when that other user is not anticipating a madison slingshot....

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I love this. Country heading into its fourth year of civil war. Menaced by psychotic terrorist groups and psychotic dictatorship. And citizens of Damascus Syria go cycling. http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/11/damascus-cycling-initiative-eco-friendly-transportation.html Chapeau.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement