Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbish tyres on the majority of cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

catallus wrote: »
    225/15/16

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye them, see if they wear badly.

The reviews suggest fairly poor performance in the wet - that's what I'd worry about, longer stopping distances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I leaned my lesson when I rented a car one time in the wet I skidded so easy it was spooky. It was just skid but after that drove so slow in the wet as it was lethal to go faster than 25MPH in the wet the tires were seriously bad crap tires

A few months back in heavy rain after dry period in suburban traffic I was in in my old faithful 1400cc small Jap crap car . Then I got rear ended turning into supermarket entrance .
    The shops video surveillance system caught it all on tape . The Garda cant prosecute because it isn't proof of excessive speed of the other driver

The boot region extending out one meter from back of car was destroyed . It was then flat as pancake .
    Jap cars are great machines but dont do much metal in them so they great on MPG as they are light
    However when they are small they are real crap in a big crunch .
    Been there done that got the T shirt

The other car must have hit me at ~40KPH plus to do that damage and the other car nearly climbed into back passenger section.

I Hate to think what the house wife with kids in back seats the injuries would have been bad I think in such small Jap crap car.
    Me i am old codger so its not big deal if I go out exit stage left I had a good inning so I will continue to drive jap crap its so cheap to drive

The rear ender crash spun my car around and propelled it to much faster speed in a slit second and it hit a wall backwards
    So for me it was double hit impact crash .
    The low wall pushed the back axle forward several inches again .
    I saw the car a few days later after crash before it became a can of beans and it was totally wrecked in the rear sections

Best I can guess as I was knocked out for a few minutes probably from the first impact as all I remember was enormous bang and then I was somewhere else in lots of pain in my head and neck and mostly paralyzed .

I came to so i was picking up scraps of stuff .The Garda were there in two minutes i think just happened to come across the accident as I was waking up with sore neck
    I couldn't move myself or my legs and left arm . lucky with my dody right arm control i could just about reach
    the electric window button with my right arm and wind it down .
    I told them call an ambulance and they did
    That was spooky real spooky not being able to move my body . I dont want to that again and my head and neck hurt like hell .

It seems that is actually frequent in accident temporary parallelized after accidents . I never knew that . After several hours the most of the paralyzed effects mostly wear off but the pain then really kicks in big time

It seems the other driver was in 2000cc rented thing mid sized of some sort probably diesel for economy

The head rest saved my neck and the driver seat totally moved into the rear passenger section when it came past the stoppers and seat bent back 45 degrees . if the impact was just a fraction more harder I can guarantee you it was broken neck time for me. I must invest in better stronger seats in my other cars

It turned into a full fire brigade job to extract me from the car with cutting off the roof .

There is some long term injury's where I will need to only use automatic cars as the left arm is not ever to work properly from damage done and other issues that are possible long term issues .

The fire and ambulance crew and the hospital were great They zaped me all sorts.
    Then with pain killer neck collar and arm holder and pills to dull pain I was able to leave the hospital that night from choice
    I was more worried to catch some nasty disease from the place so took the choice to leave there ASAP .

Any hospital you can walk or crawl or crutches your way out of the day you come in the best hospital is my motto .

My own best guess now is that most all rented cars are on the crappiest of the crappiest tires .

So put the word out to anybody renting a car for any reason like short term rents or long term rents consider to not drive in the rain at all.
    If not then dont speed over 30 KPH if its wet .

I heard the hiss of brakes on tires locked up on the wet one second before impact . The girl who had car was 08 type car probably had ABS but with crap tires they probably dont work .

My guess the driver would have slowed down enough with good tires on that car . Then it would only have been a fender bender at worst and in fact she might have stopped or steered around me as I had mostly finished the turn .

yes conditions were a factor and yes she was was seen in the video from the shops that filmed it all to have appeared to be going too fast for the conditions of the day that was in it .

However tell me any driver who hasn't made that mistake and nearly rear ended something but for good tires and and other good luck got away with it or had just a minor fender bender .

In my crash the other driver was a sales representative of sorts and it seems does lots of driving all year round probably ~50k a year .
    As it was mid morning I dont think there was any drink involved .
    I presume her company has done the rental agreement solutions that is popular these days with many companies . A friend for me had rental van for his six month contract and I warned him never to go fast in the rain .He said he already knew that the rented van was lethal in the wet he skidded into the forecourt of the filling station and burst one tire against the high curbs nearly taking out the petrol pumps . He claimed the spare tire was dodgy damaged and got two new tires fitted under the insurance scheme and put them the front of the van After that it was slightly better control in the wet

However the rental agreement with many rental cars will not allow control of the purchase of tires . My best guess is the rented car that hit me the tires were crap .

For me I dont think that the arm will ever work properly but it sure beats the total below the neck paralyzed effect I had after the crash.
    So now i am back walking after l coming back from possible broken neck within hours of going to Hospital so all is well that ends nearly well accept the pain and need to eat pain killers every day .

The moral of the story you can have the best tires on the planet but the other person can still have very legal and very lethal tires on their car and not know that in the wet conditions they are driving a death trap that can wreck their life and others if they hit other cars .

The video on post #28 before this post shows just how seriously bad cheap tires are in the wet when needing to stop from ~30MPH it seems you sail on top of the water like a boat for much further than good tires .

In the dry this crash I was in would probably never have taken place or at worst would probably have been minor fender bender .
    As the other driver insurance knows it rear ender the debate on fault doesn't exist rear ending is the other drivers fault .

The unknown factor is the tires that were on the other car and my guess a rented car they were crappo cheapest crappo tires out there perfectly legal but had some unpronounceable Chinese name .

if your renting a car or van look the tires on it as they might kill you in the wet and Ireland is real wet many days

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been buying branded part-worns from a reputable Dublin outfit for a while now and no issues. 4x Michelin 18 inch tyres on her now for €200 and plenty of life left in them.

Wouldn't be putting Chinese crap on it, but not prepared to pay €200 a corner either so this is a decent compromise .. especially as I had to replace one of them last week because of a screw getting embedded in it (stupid construction site on my way home) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I relied a lot on reputable review sites when researching tyre performance when purchasing last year. Yes, I did end up buying the continentals and yes they were more expensive but 1 year on I'm glad I have them now.

Some brands like Hankook can be good but you really need to do the homework on the model numbers as well, not just the overall tyre brand. Some Hankooks have average performance and some have good performance. You can always get the dealer to order them in if they don't have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ok, I'm not going to be going to Nurburgring on these yokes but are you saying I should watch out for quick excessive wear in one spot, or is the rubber so crap that it might just go bald after a thousand miles? Should I be looking out for surprises? FML :(

There's a reason why the lads who populate cross roads late at night like them. And it ain't because they're grippy.

Theyre hard wearing and ok in the dry but in the wet the difference can be seen, but if you want a car to kick easily, they're the perfect tyre for it. Fine if it's what you're expecting to do, but when you're not, that's when you'll need to change your trousers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jesus. wrote: »

If somebody has difficulty controlling their car or stopping in time, even on tyres at the lower end of the price range, then I'd be more inclined to think that they're driving too fast or not as good a driver as perhaps they should be. I've driven on all kinds of tyres for years and while yes, some are better than others, I've never skidded or slid dangerously that wasn't my own fault.

One of my cars needed tyres for an NCT and my Dad got a set somewhere and stuck them on. Car passed the NCT fine and driving in the dry they where perfect. 1st bit of rain that fell I got a slip on a gentle bend doing my normal speed, though maybe a bit of oil on the road etc. Next day when turning after a set of traffic lights car slid again, got a bit worried. Next time I was out in the damp I took a corner at about half my wet speed, car slid. No matter how slow I went there was always a bit of a slide. So the next day I got them replaced and went back to my normal driving and didn't skid again.

One thing which I do have issues with is the new EU labelling on tyres. It give dry weather fuel efficiency and wet weather grip. The problem is that you can't have fuel efficiency and grip as grip reduces fuel efficiency. So what will happen is that people will only go for the A rated fuel not the A rated wet grip, which is much more important

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I thought all tyres had to have met a certain safety standard and carry an "E" mark to prove that they had passed this standard. I have four 14 inch tyres of different names on my 206. It's not though I asked for any particular tyre at the tyre centre when I needed one - I just took what I was given. One of the tyres that came with the car is a Pirelli, the other is a Michelen and the other two, I can't remember. There's great thread on all of them. Could the less expensive chinese tyre be every bit as good as the Pirelli? I have a silvercrest Microwave and it's a damn site better than the Samsung it replaced?

That's the problem right there, though I think DM is more describing the issue rather than his own situation. At least I hope so. If not, get some decent rubber, dude.
    Getting one tire at a time replaced, not caring what it is, having 4 different tires on a car (should be NCT failure IMO), "Ah shure, it's got an E mark, it has to be good" and the general thinking that tires are round and black and that's all there is to them, so if you pay €50 for a tire, it is to be as good as a tire that costs €200. And I do know car nuts who think round and black are the only two attributes to a tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

That's the problem right there, though I think DM is more describing the issue rather than his own situation. At least I hope so. If not, get some decent rubber, dude.
    Getting one tire at a time replaced, not caring what it is, having 4 different tires on a car (should be NCT failure IMO), "Ah shure, it's got an E mark, it has to be good" and the general thinking that tires are round and black and that's all there is to them, so if you pay €50 for a tire, it is to be as good as a tire that costs €200. And I do know car nuts who think round and black are the only two attributes to a tire.

I do 30k miles a year and have done for 15 yrs.

I don't drive the wheels of car, would be a fairly steady but not slow driver.

All Ive ever done with tyres is replaced when rhread depth gets to 2.5mm. I typically spend 90ish per tyre and always replace 2or4 at a time depending on wear.

I Just buy a well known brand, do I need to start reviewing tyres now as well?

Accident/incident free in that time mileage, driving passat/octavia type cars, no m5 or the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm putting new tyres on my car, so I'm checking around for quotes.
    One busy reputable local place emailed me back, after I asked for prices:
    "we can supply 4 brand new tyres fitted and balanced @39.95"

That was the first line of his reply - shows what people want. No details at all, just the price.

In contrast, I asked the place across the road from him and he gave me model numbers and all.
    "look those up now on the internet and if you want them I'll have them in next day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

This may be a silly question but I bought a car for herself recently. Small engine corsa for her to learn to drive in. Put it through the nct and all was grand but they pointed out the tires were 6 years old. They aren't worn or anything but there is a bit of play in the steering sometimes that I don't get on my own car. I just thought it was a quirk of the corsa but after reading this thread I'm thinking it could be the tires. Anyone advise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I wonder if the differences between tyres are rather exaggerated by some without foundation. When I bought my current car - a big, heavy 250bhp RWD - I was horrified to find that the (main) dealer had put 4 spanking new Federal SS595s on it. These seem to be notorious round here for their "terrible", "dangerous" etc performance. Accepted knowledge is that you'll find yourself in a ditch within a week. But you know what? They were fine! No trouble - only ever skidded twice, and that was on pure ice, and the skids were easily recovered. And they LASTED - finally took them off after 3.5 years and 50,000 miles. Replaced them with Pirellis and Matadors (very well reviewed Conti brand) and the Pirellis are wearing very quickly. I dunno, maybe I don't push on as much as some people.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Have a look at google, some companies say replace tires 6 years after production date. Oils and chemicals in the rubber compound start to evaporate or break down because of UV exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

CiniO wrote: »
    Well surely not too many cars have premium brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, etc..

But also not that many cars have the real ditch finders like Triangle, Wanli, Infinity, etc..

I see plenty people put fairly reasonable tyres...

I have Hankook on car my wife drives, and Nankang on my car. I'm happy with both.

Neighbours pug 406 is on 4 triangles. See a few weird brands about the place.

The auld fella bought a car with 4 new tyres on it earlier this year. 4 triangles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wonder if the differences between tyres are rather exaggerated by some without foundation.

A 1.6 Octavia with either kids or dogs in it, it's not a car I went around racing in.

It's the ****ty tyres, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

One of the biggest offenders for cheapo tyres are the garages themselves. I was viewing a car for my son and I told them we would have a deal if they replaced the front tyres which were terrible. Went to collect the car and not only were they cheapo ditch finders but the wrong size too.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

I never put anything other than Dunlop, Vredestein, Uniroyal or Goodyear on my car. I had some chinese ones one time and I could not drive off the light without spinning the wheels at even slightly wet road. Never again.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Ok, I'm not going to be going to Nurburgring on these yokes but are you saying I should watch out for quick excessive wear in one spot, or is the rubber so crap that it might just go bald after a thousand miles? Should I be looking out for surprises? FML :(

My car had them on the front when I got it,thought i would have them worn off the car in a fit,and they lasted forever,they were probably more plastic than rubber, which is why they didn't wear too much,eventually got sick of them and put some Michelin energies on it,got a right shock when I drove her out of the tyre place and it rolled for ages without stopping,and the road noise was greatly reduced.

Found there was a knack for driving on the triangles,you've to be steady,any heavy movements and they would break traction. Coming off a roundabout flat will make you skid.

What people don't realise is if they save say %20 on a tyre,it will last maybe half as long as a branded one that was a few quid more,so in that aspect you're not saving money. Though a lot of people live hand to mouth these days and it might be a bit of a tough decision to make

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

So which brands are "ditch finders" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

So which brands are "ditch finders" ?
    Triangles - They were on my C5 the entire time I had it because any spare money I had went into fixing the car itself.

Fortunately, I didn't die (it's a 2,000KG car) but the one time I drove in icy conditions - shat myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Bought my 535d last year with 4 new tyres (triangles on the front and sunny on the back afair)
    Great for sideways fun but the traction control would come on as soon as it sensed an even damp road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

walus wrote:
    I never put anything other than Dunlop, Vredestein, Uniroyal or Goodyear on my car

You wouldn't be endangering your health if you also tried Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone.
    JBokeh wrote: »
    What people don't realise is if they save say %20 on a tyre,it will last maybe half as long as a branded one that was a few quid more,so in that aspect you're not saving money. Though a lot of people live hand to mouth these days and it might be a bit of a tough decision to make

This is not always true, the hard rubber in the cheapos can mean that they do last well, they just don't grip the road because they are so rigid.
    Bought my 535d last year with 4 new tyres (triangles on the front and sunny on the back afair)
    Great for sideways fun but the traction control would come on as soon as it sensed an even damp road.

This is a good example of odd priorities, a 535D is possibly expensive or if older has high motor tax, so the any owner isn't really aiming for the most economical transport, yet whoever sold it thought these crap tyres would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I'm currently using 17" Leao nova force tyres as they came in at €60 each.

Seem to be a decent tyre but road noise isn't good, anyway my traction control will keep them in check. ;)

There are an awful lot of people that don't understand the difference and because a lot of these drive fairly low powered cars and don't drive them on they will more than likely never have an issue. It's unreasonable to expect most people to understand the differences between tyres for people that simply no nothing about them (or cars in general) and aren't interested so won't find out by themselves.

Also even some that understand make the point (and it is valid to a degree) that they don't drive fast so don't need good tyres. I have gotten this answer from family members all the time. I have bought cheap Chinese tyres myself when money was tight or I was planning on selling a car and yes they have terrible wet grip but I did adjust my driving (which isn't ideal).

The comfort of having good tyres is fantastic though and I recommend anyone to get them especially as the price difference is narrowing. I got tyres recently and cheap crap tyres were coming in at around 70 to 80 euro for 225/45/17 (I wasn't interested but all tyre places offered them when I rang. I was specifically looking for Goodyear eagle f1's and got then at 130 a corner fitted, they are an unbelievable tyre, even the Hankooks I had were a good step down in comparison and only 50 more a corner over total crap Chinese tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Have to agree with the Eagle F1 recommendation, fantastic tyres especially in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    I'm currently using 17" Leao nova force tyres as they came in at €60 each.

Seem to be a decent tyre but road noise isn't good, anyway my traction control will keep them in check. ;)

Getting power to the road is the least important job for tyres. Getting you around corners safely or stopped in the shortest distance possible is. ABS doesn't work if the tyres can't grip and I doubt ESP is at it's most affective without grip either.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Del2005 wrote: »
    Getting power to the road is the least important job for tyres. Getting you around corners safely or stopped in the shortest distance possible is. ABS doesn't work if the tyres can't grip and I doubt ESP is at it's most affective without grip either.

The grip is fine, the road noise is not great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Ah tyres are always a great topic of conversation in Ireland. We're happy to pay €40k on a new car to get chayype tax :pac: and make sure we pick the sport model with 18/19" wheels. Then the car is run on a shoestring for the next 5 years and replaced because it's "unreliable" and "costing too much in repairs". Spending money on depreciation/finance is perfectly fine but not on fuel/tax/tyres/servicing.

I've always run my cars on Goodyear F1 or Contisports (2/3/5) and they're superb, so can thoroughly recommend both. Most tyres will perform well in the dry, it's the couple of car lengths you can save in the dry that may be the difference between a large insurance claim and injury or making it to your destination.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ is a great site as they have consolidated a lot of the magazine tyre tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Saw a tyre on a sliproad off the M1 on Saturday. Further down the road saw a woman in a 2-3 year old Audi A5 on her mobile. Rear offside tyre had come off the rim completely. I didn't think a blowout could have taken the tyre off the rim entirely like that.

Whether she was unlucky or whether her tyres were never checked we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

commited wrote: »
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ is a great site as they have consolidated a lot of the magazine tyre tests.

I use that site as well ... I normally look for the auto bild all season tests and try and find something high on the lists that suit my pocket. I got Falken Euro All Season AS200's as they were a really good price and even worked out cheaper that cheap crap chinese tyres a local tyre place was pushing .... had to order the falkens online though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I must be one of those people that buy cheap tyres if you call €75/tyre cheap. I should have ended up in the ditch by now. Driving style would have a lot more to do with safety than so called cheap tyres. If you are constantly tailgating and driving without watching where you are going or going well over the speed limit then no tyre will save you if things go wrong.

Advertisement